C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

question about Audio 10 HU & dealer charging transport fee

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
question about Audio 10 HU & dealer charging transport fee

Hi all,

One of the dealers called me today (MB of North Houston, TX) and said they have 3 '02 C230k coupes in pkg that I want: C1, C5, C7, auto. they are in red/charcoal, black/charcoal, silver/charcoal. The b/c is the combo I want but its in AK and stated there's transport fee of about $1000 (+ or - $100), the s/c one is metallic paint so i'd have to pay extra for that so the red is the cheapest. I really want the black one and I was hoping the dealership would absorb (partial if not all) of the transport cost. Any suggestions?

Also I keep seeing about the Audio 10 headunit and was wondering what that is all about? Is is a better head until? specification details somewhere? compatible w/ OEM BOSE system? how much and where to get one? Is it built-in 10 disc changer HU combo? details? Thans for any input.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:45 PM

2002 C320 Sport Wagon
FWIW, I quote this statement from MBUSA Public Relations (Product & Technology):

We don't recommend the European Audio 10. While the connections should be
compatible, the station scanning sensitivity and frequency tuning are
different for the European market. FM uses 100KHz steps (we use 200KHz),
and AM uses 9KHz steps (we use 10KHz). For FM, this is not a big issue --
simply skip over the gaps. But for AM, you would never get good reception,
because it can't land on the exact frequency. And, warranty could indeed
be an issue.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The MB Audio 10 CD is made by Becker and sounds way better than the MB Audio 30 Cassette made by Alpine, even with the Bose option. If you live near a forum member that has it you may want to listen. Of course you get an in-dash CD and you can still use all the steering wheel controls, dash display and factory CD changer. Also you get RDS which on some stations displays the name of the song, artist and call letters on the dash display.

The downside is that you can never use the factory phone option not all AM stations come in so you may want to find out what AM stations are important to you and see if that station can be tuned in. All the AM stations that I've ever listened to work fine for me in the LA area.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
FWIW, I quote this statement from MBUSA Public Relations (Product & Technology):

We don't recommend the European Audio 10. While the connections should be
compatible, the station scanning sensitivity and frequency tuning are
different for the European market. FM uses 100KHz steps (we use 200KHz),
and AM uses 9KHz steps (we use 10KHz). For FM, this is not a big issue --
simply skip over the gaps. But for AM, you would never get good reception,
because it can't land on the exact frequency. And, warranty could indeed
be an issue.
Radio is not big deal for me (esp AM....who listens to AM? :-) but I want to know what so special about it? features? details? thanks.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:39 PM

2002 C320 Sport Wagon
Search MBworld forums for tons of positive Audio 10 reports which, btw, I do not doubt. I only posted this quote because I thought it should be known. For me, AM is very useful for traffic reports but, for that, it is essential.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:26 AM

11' E-350 BlueTec
As everyone said you should do a search for Audio 10 on this forum. Session has posted great instructions about how to install it (pictures included). I just bought one on eBay.de and it's supposed to be here next week. As soon as I install it I'll let you (and everyone here) know.
I think is a great buy comparing it with the cost of installing a 6-CD changer at the dealership. You can get it for $220-250 and the installation seems to be easy (45-60 minutes).
Also all the reports and feedback on the unit are really good and as was stated before the only real problem is with AM radio.
You keep all the steering wheel features working, you don't need to go to a dealership to enable it (like the cd changer offered by Gaston at Autoclass.net) and, as far as I know, you don't void your warranty because it's an original MB part. The only disadvantage is that the cd player doesn't have the fast forward feature (you can only go from one track to another). But again for $220-250 I think it's still a very good deal.
Hope this helps!
Old 09-12-2002, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by amiras
As everyone said you should do a search for Audio 10 on this forum. Session has posted great instructions about how to install it (pictures included). I just bought one on eBay.de and it's supposed to be here next week. As soon as I install it I'll let you (and everyone here) know.
I think is a great buy comparing it with the cost of installing a 6-CD changer at the dealership. You can get it for $220-250 and the installation seems to be easy (45-60 minutes).
Also all the reports and feedback on the unit are really good and as was stated before the only real problem is with AM radio.
You keep all the steering wheel features working, you don't need to go to a dealership to enable it (like the cd changer offered by Gaston at Autoclass.net) and, as far as I know, you don't void your warranty because it's an original MB part. The only disadvantage is that the cd player doesn't have the fast forward feature (you can only go from one track to another). But again for $220-250 I think it's still a very good deal.
Hope this helps!
Thanks for further info and yes I've seen the install info. What I was looking for was details of the features and its capability. I'd like to know why it sounds better? what kinda Watts? RMS? specs? Thanks.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:43 AM

11' E-350 BlueTec
Smile Hope this helps

Mercedes-Benz Audio 10 BE4410 / BE6021

Tuner bands: FM 87.5 MHz - 108 MHz.
AM 531 kHz - 1620 kHz
LW 153 kHz - 282 kHz
SW 5800 kHz - 6250 kHz
Station Memory: 8 in FM, 4 in MW, LW and KW.
Frequency Response:
50 Hz - 20 kHz with CD Player
30 Hz - 15 kHz on FM
50 Hz - 2.5 kHz on AM, LW, SW
Autostore: FM, MW, LW.
Amplifier output: 4 x 15 Watt.
Loudspeaker Impedance: min. 4 Ohm.
Speed Dependant volume.
Antenna: Impedance 50 Ohm.
Telephone Mute: Low active signal < 2 Volt.
Power Supply: 12 Volt.
Soundsystem: Connection only for D2B Optical System.
CD Connection: Available for Mercedes-Benz D2B and Becker Silverstone 2662.
8 cm CD's with adapter is not recommended nor guaranteed playback with recordable CD's.
CANBUS enabled.
Theft protection is handled by a unit identifier signal over the CANBUS with the vehicle (the devices have no code). This identifier is checked at each operation of the unit. If this identifier is missing, then the radio goes into the PROD lockout mode and can no longer be operated.
The BE6021 is an update version of the BE4410. There are no operational or specification differences.