C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help Please Transmission Slipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240 and 69 cadi cdv conv
Help Please Transmission Slipping

i know i've asked this before but i did'nt get much of a response. so again I ask if anyone else has experienced the same problem please give me some feedback. If i have to buy a new trans then i'll just part my car out and trade it in.

Here's my problems.

My transmission seems to be slipping, sometimes when i'm driving the car it seems fine but when i take a corner the trans slips into nuetral on it's own, i'll pull over turn off the engine, start it back up and the vehicle will drive normally. the same problem also happens when i floor the gas pedal and let off right away, kinda like when your trying to pass a slow driver. i punch the gas, let off slowly once i've passed and then give it gas again and BAM i'm in nuetral. it's freaking dangerous people, this happens daily. If i'm driving the car in triptronic instead of slipping the car will lock in whatever gear it's in.

WTH can it be, if i have to buy a whole new transmission i'm just going to part ways with my car, i really don't want to do this becuase my cars bad ***. i'm hoping it's not too expensive to fix, maybe a couple hundred bucks but if it goes into anything over a G i'm done people.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Clutch packs could be bad. Could be the trans computer. You can try to get it re-flashed. Those are just my guesses.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Have the fluid level checked.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Have the fluid level checked.
I second that. Check the transmission fluid level ASAP. I had 1.5 qt. low and the car was putting me in neutral.

You will need to get a diptstick or pop by a MB dealer and have them check the fluid level. Just because I screwed up I will mention this: check fluid level with car running. <-- My big mistake.

Last edited by wizkid; 01-17-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Have you noticed any fluid puddles under your car? Tranny fluid is a burnt brownish color when used. If you are low on fluid this could be a cause. Take it EASY on the tranny right now. DOn't get frustrated and want to beat on it.

First thing first, like everyone else said. Check the fluid level. Go from there.

I worry that a stealership would try to tell you that you need a new tranny when it could be something more easily fixed.

E
Old 01-18-2007, 05:23 AM

C320 Sport
Accelerator Assembly Replaced...

Whip: C320 Sport ('01, wht/grey leather/loaded)
Trans: Tiptronic
Miles: 32k (low)
Condition: Mint
Warranty: Extended
Repairs: $0.00

Symptom: Stopped at red light, car suddenly would not go forward?! Pressed gas pedal to floor, engine remained @ 1,000 RPM. Transmission would not engage (in any gear). After turning car off, immediately restarted, all was well except very embarrassed. Yesterday on the way to MB dealership to investigate, same issue occurred in my driveway! Again, turned-off, turn-on, made it to service center.

1st Theory: Suspected TCM (transmission control module) was getting flaky and/or needed firmware flash? Read something online when I was still freeked-out. Oh, car was just serviced (Service-B) 2-months ago by dealer.

Conclusion: MB reviewed error codes for accelerator, not sure if they saw anything meaningful? After test drive to confirm problem, they replaced Accelerator Pedal Assembly and re-flashed accelerator sensor memory. Strange. Parts and labor was $250, all charged to warranty. So far, so good!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 AM

Ford Pinto
Glad you got that figured out. I think the fact that when you cut the car off and back on makes more sense now knowing the most likely cure.

Glad you are fixed. Now if you could help me with my remotes. They have both decided to work only when the want. Now that is embarassing!
Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 PM

thanks for the suggestions everyone, i've recently had the transmission serviced and all fluid levels are proper. i'm going to have my service center re flash the trans since the problem is continouing to happen. i took my vehicle to keyes Vannuys to have them diagnos the problem and all i was told was i need a new trans but no explanation to why......Freaken stealership
Old 01-20-2007, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
It's most likely due to your wheels. You should sell them to me very cheap and see if the problem goes away.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by alex007mayn
thanks for the suggestions everyone, i've recently had the transmission serviced and all fluid levels are proper. i'm going to have my service center re flash the trans since the problem is continouing to happen. i took my vehicle to keyes Vannuys to have them diagnos the problem and all i was told was i need a new trans but no explanation to why......Freaken stealership
Have them inspec the transmission computer and see if you have had any transmissino fluid wick up through the transmission socket wire from the transmission and get on the computer.

You may want to check and see if you have this problem (see photo below). If you do, then the above may be an issue but they will know when you take it to the dealer.

Supposedly, the "FIX" for this will be released at the end of January so I am told. The new white o-rings, like the ones I just used, are just a temp fix they are finding out now. My delaer does about 50 of these socket o-ring replacements a month and a lot of them are repeats.

I plan on doing the update the second the new part is released and I can get one in my hands.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To me it sounds like a classic case of bad motor mounts, you accelerate quickly or take a fast turn and the tranmission shifts because the engine/trans are rotating and tweaking the shift linkage. Motors mounts are a common problem on these cars as they age. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the tranny.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:16 PM

Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
To me it sounds like a classic case of bad motor mounts, you accelerate quickly or take a fast turn and the tranmission shifts because the engine/trans are rotating and tweaking the shift linkage. Motors mounts are a common problem on these cars as they age. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the tranny.
Bull, how hard are they to replace? I have not heard of anyone having motor mount problems on their W203 on here. Have I missed a news flash?

How many miles are people getting or is it a case by case deal?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:32 AM

thanks for all the suggestions guys, my car goes back into the mechanics, hopefully the problem will be fixed
Old 01-22-2007, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They are not hard to replace, unbolt them, put a wood block on a jack and lift the motor from the oil pan to get the clearance to yank them out and put the new ones in. Lower the engine and put the bolts back on. At least on the M111 motor, I would imagine the M112 is the same. Mounts are round, silver colored with black center, maybe 4" in diameter, about 4" tall. I've heard of a few on the C forum I moderate at benzworld. Duval has them for $75 each. Here's a pic, may not be exactly the same but it's an MB motor mount.

Last edited by Buellwinkle; 01-22-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Ford Pinto
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
They are not hard to replace, unbolt them, put a wood block on a jack and lift the motor from the oil pan to get the clearance to yank them out and put the new ones in. Lower the engine and put the bolts back on. At least on the M111 motor, I would imagine the M112 is the same. Mounts are round, silver colored with black center, maybe 4" in diameter, about 4" tall. I've heard of a few on the C forum I moderate at benzworld. Duval has them for $75 each. Here's a pic, may not be exactly the same but it's an MB motor mount.

I almost wonder if changing them would help a car like mine out. They have to be wore some by this point. If they were not so expensive, I would do it tomorrow just to have something to do. Thanks for the info.

Btw, which motor do I have if I have a C240 V6 2002 2.6 Litre?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wizkid
I almost wonder if changing them would help a car like mine out. They have to be wore some by this point. If they were not so expensive, I would do it tomorrow just to have something to do. Thanks for the info.

Btw, which motor do I have if I have a C240 V6 2002 2.6 Litre?
The general term for the MB V6 is the M112 since 1998, before that they made the straight six. So the C240, C32, C320 are all M112 motors, same block as well as most other parts (pulleys, accessories, etc). Built in Bad Cannstatt, Germany. Takes some pics of the motors mount install for your website, I'm sure it's the same for most MBs....

Common motor mount symptoms people complain about are engine shake at idle, near stall sometimes. When the tranny starts shifting by itself, they are both completely gone and the engine has nothing to hold it down. This was actually my first car problem when I got my license at 17, many, many years ago.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:25 AM

any one have any clues on what the labor cost is for replacing the motor mounts, also is there any performance upgrade ones,
Old 01-23-2007, 03:26 AM

oh yah thanks alot fellas much appreciated
Old 01-23-2007, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's about a one hour job for an inexperienced mechanic, maybe 1/2 hour for a pro, so I would expect the dealer would charge for 2 hours plus 125% of list price on parts, so if I had to guess, $430. While under there they'll have to remove the steering damper, tell you it's bad, 1 extra minute of repair time leads to 1 hour charge + $30 part should run $92 so that will add another $200. Let me know if I'm right.....
Old 01-24-2007, 04:49 AM

i'll let you know my car goes back to the mechanic when it returns from the stereo shop. i have a new stereo being installed, itsa niice
Old 01-26-2007, 01:09 AM

good news everyone, my cars driving like new again, turns out i had a transmission leak at the radiator were the lines go in. it was causing all my fluid to leak out, funny thing is i never noticed a puddle or leak under my car. my mechnic told me that because it had no oil in the trans it was acting up. mayn fellas what a releif, i'm back on the road and i have my new tv in. I fell like this
Old 01-26-2007, 08:08 AM

Ford Pinto
Get yourself a dip stick to check that fluid man.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally Posted by alex007mayn
good news everyone, my cars driving like new again, turns out i had a transmission leak at the radiator were the lines go in. it was causing all my fluid to leak out, funny thing is i never noticed a puddle or leak under my car. my mechnic told me that because it had no oil in the trans it was acting up. mayn fellas what a releif, i'm back on the road and i have my new tv in. I fell like this

See I told ya I didn't sell you a lemon beeyotch!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally Posted by Blake P
It's most likely due to your wheels. You should sell them to me very cheap and see if the problem goes away.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:08 PM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Please Transmission Slipping