C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Stump the Gurus: OEM seat heat or SRS sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Stump the Gurus: OEM seat heat or SRS sensor?

OK, what is this? Found deep in the bowels of the passenger seat of my 02 C320. I don't have the optional heated seats - or do I - and just need a dash switch to turn them on and perhaps a programming tweak in the on board computer via Star to something like HEATED SEATS = PRESENT?

OR

Am I just wishfull thinking and this is a simple pressure sensor for the SRS system. The wires coming from it are white, brown and red. Marked IEE CP02 2151 Luxembourg:

"IEE develops sensor and sensor-electronics systems in partnership with customers. Our largest customers are tier 1 and tier 2 automobile manufacturers. With their cooperation, we are developing car sensor systems to detect the presence of a front-seat passenger, detect a child seat and its orientation and classify car occupants."

OR

Could it be BOTH?

It DOES make sense that Mercedes would build the heated seat element into all seats and incorporate it into one single unit...
Attached Thumbnails Stump the Gurus: OEM seat heat or SRS sensor?-mercedes-seat-001.jpg   Stump the Gurus: OEM seat heat or SRS sensor?-mercedes-seat-002.jpg  

Last edited by RonKMiller; 02-24-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by RonKMiller

OK, what is this? Found deep in the bowels of the passenger seat of my 02 C320. I don't have the optional heated seats - or do I - and just need a dash switch to turn them on and perhaps a programming tweak in the on board computer via Star to something like HEATED SEATS = PRESENT?

OR

Am I just wishfull thinking and this is a simple pressure sensor for the SRS system. The wires coming from it are white, brown and red. Marked IEE CP02 2151 Luxembourg:

"IEE develops sensor and sensor-electronics systems in partnership with customers. Our largest customers are tier 1 and tier 2 automobile manufacturers. With their cooperation, we are developing car sensor systems to detect the presence of a front-seat passenger, detect a child seat and its orientation and classify car occupants."

OR

Could it be BOTH?

It DOES make sense that Mercedes would build the heated seat element into all seats and incorporate it into one single unit...
I answered my own question - DAMN, and here I thought I was going to get free seat heat for everyone.....
Attached Thumbnails Stump the Gurus: OEM seat heat or SRS sensor?-cpod.jpg  
Old 02-24-2007, 07:48 PM
RES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55, 1988 260E, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
I just installed carbon fiber heat pads from heated-seats.com and have had great results. I installed the back pad under the leather by slipping it from the bottom into place, takes about 30 min a side including running wires and all. The bottom I installed the drivers side by removing the center seam and then hand stitching it back through the pad. The passenger side I placed on the cusion under the whole cover, both ways work well, not much difference. I used all Mercedes parts for the rest, plugs, wire harness, switch row, and plug pins. Works like a champ. I had leather seats so the thought of replacing my perfectly good seat covers for $2000.00 was a bit much. I plan on adding ths feature to the Porsche next. EASY!

Last edited by RES; 02-24-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Ive had an srs error for a while about that dang child seat sensor. Ron, do you have the part number for that child seat sensor?

Could either of ya (russel or ron) do a short write up as to how to get the seat covers off? I couldnt figure it out for the life of me :\
Old 02-25-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
Originally Posted by Russell Stevens
I just installed carbon fiber heat pads from heated-seats.com and have had great results. I installed the back pad under the leather by slipping it from the bottom into place, takes about 30 min a side including running wires and all. The bottom I installed the drivers side by removing the center seam and then hand stitching it back through the pad. The passenger side I placed on the cusion under the whole cover, both ways work well, not much difference. I used all Mercedes parts for the rest, plugs, wire harness, switch row, and plug pins. Works like a champ. I had leather seats so the thought of replacing my perfectly good seat covers for $2000.00 was a bit much. I plan on adding ths feature to the Porsche next. EASY!
How hard is it to get the leather back on and have it look the same (IE not crooked, no wrinkles, not damaged, etc)?

Can you tell the seat heaters are in there at all if they're not turned on? Does it feel any different?

How much did you pay for the whole kit including the Mercedes parts (switches, harness, etc)?

Also do the stock seat heaters in the C heat back and bottom or just bottom?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Now I get it! That sensor looks like a series of switches that can tell where on the seat an object is located, and how heavy it is.

No wonder when I plunk my fat backside in the seat, the instrument cluster lights up with "Hey, one at a time. Please!"
Old 02-25-2007, 02:54 AM
RES

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55, 1988 260E, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
Originally Posted by nickgailloux
How hard is it to get the leather back on and have it look the same (IE not crooked, no wrinkles, not damaged, etc)?

Can you tell the seat heaters are in there at all if they're not turned on? Does it feel any different?

How much did you pay for the whole kit including the Mercedes parts (switches, harness, etc)?

Also do the stock seat heaters in the C heat back and bottom or just bottom?
I have some pics I will put on tomorrow, you can't tell. The factory does both back and bottom, and the ones I added do the same. I will have to look up pricing but all is less then $500.00 I'm sure.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by TruTaing
Ive had an srs error for a while about that dang child seat sensor. Ron, do you have the part number for that child seat sensor?

Could either of ya (russel or ron) do a short write up as to how to get the seat covers off? I couldnt figure it out for the life of me :\
Here's all the numbers I could find:

02 T 066 0568 3

AKSE H2 2151 100 Q15

AKSE
ASIC2

UNTEN A 203 821 63 51 W203/AKSE (pretty sure this what you need with that 203 prefix...)

Taking the seat apart is pretty straight forward, the sensor is underneath the cover and pad sitting on top of the foam. There are plastic clips that hold wire tie downs that pull the seat cover taught - you'll need to carefully remove these to get it apart once the cover is off. I used long snout needle nose pliers. Not really an easy or quick job...
Old 02-25-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Moviela
Now I get it! That sensor looks like a series of switches that can tell where on the seat an object is located, and how heavy it is.

No wonder when I plunk my fat backside in the seat, the instrument cluster lights up with "Hey, one at a time. Please!"
From what I can tell it generates a weak electromagnetic field.... I know it senses orientation, can't figure out how it would sense weight - but it might!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Here's all the numbers I could find:

02 T 066 0568 3

AKSE H2 2151 100 Q15

AKSE
ASIC2

UNTEN A 203 821 63 51 W203/AKSE (pretty sure this what you need with that 203 prefix...)

Taking the seat apart is pretty straight forward, the sensor is underneath the cover and pad sitting on top of the foam. There are plastic clips that hold wire tie downs that pull the seat cover taught - you'll need to carefully remove these to get it apart once the cover is off. I used long snout needle nose pliers. Not really an easy or quick job...
Thanks dood!