C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mystery Auto door locks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Mystery Auto door locks

I understand that the car automatically locks while underway ~18km/hr, my question is when I stop and turn off the car and open the doors what should happen?

Sometimes, as I open my drivers door from inside it unlocks all the doors and other times it just unlocks the drivers door.

What is normal? Am I having a lock malfunction when it just unlocks my door?
Old 02-27-2007, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Boom vang
I understand that the car automatically locks while underway ~18km/hr, my question is when I stop and turn off the car and open the doors what should happen?

Sometimes, as I open my drivers door from inside it unlocks all the doors and other times it just unlocks the drivers door.

It's not a malfunction. Completely normal. Most people open their locked doors quickly so it unlocks all the doors as you open the driver's door. But in my experience if you open your driver's door extra slow (while all the doors are locked) it will ONLY unlock driver's side...I think this is a convenience feature..I'm sure you can tell how it is...just imagine your kids in the backseat or something and you wanna get out quickly, yet only unlocking your door. My explanation might be incorrect though...can someone verify? But I am positive you are not experiencing any lock malfunction here.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i

depending on how you have your keyless remote entry setup for. If you press the unlock button on your remote does it unlock all your doors? or does it only unlock the driver door the FIRST time you press it and then the other three the SECOND time you press it?
Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Originally Posted by phattbam
depending on how you have your keyless remote entry setup for. If you press the unlock button on your remote does it unlock all your doors? or does it only unlock the driver door the FIRST time you press it and then the other three the SECOND time you press it?
If you read my explaination I am NOT talking about the remote fob, what I am talking about is: driving my car the doors automatically lock; it is when I decide to turn off the car and get out that is when the differences are.

I will try the 'opening the door slowly' vs 'opening the door quickly' and see if that makes a difference
Old 02-27-2007, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
If you read my explaination I am NOT talking about the remote fob, what I am talking about is: driving my car the doors automatically lock; it is when I decide to turn off the car and get out that is when the differences are.

I will try the 'opening the door slowly' vs 'opening the door quickly' and see if that makes a difference
I DID READ YOUR explanation.. Ok I'll explain it.. if you have your key fob set to unlock just your driver door and that's the ONLY door that unlocked when you get into your car.. when you start to drive the doors will automatically lock (that's only if you have this enabled). When you decide to park your car and want to open YOUR door only, it will automatically unlock all the doors that you have initially unlocked during that session. for example I am the only one who needed to get into the car, MY key unlocks just MY door. so when I shut my car down and open my door it will only unlock that door. Should I have passengers, I will press my unlock button again to unlock all doors. So when then whenever ANY of the two FRONT individuals decide to open their doors it will unlock ALL 4 doors.. that's how MY car is... I read your post and I'm just stating how my car works.. I've been the original owner of my car for the last 6 years, that's how mine has always been. No matter how fast I try to open the door or how slow I do it, that's how it works. but that's MY car.

Last edited by phattbam; 02-27-2007 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
Originally Posted by c230K415
It's not a malfunction. Completely normal. Most people open their locked doors quickly so it unlocks all the doors as you open the driver's door. But in my experience if you open your driver's door extra slow (while all the doors are locked) it will ONLY unlock driver's side...I think this is a convenience feature..I'm sure you can tell how it is...just imagine your kids in the backseat or something and you wanna get out quickly, yet only unlocking your door. My explanation might be incorrect though...can someone verify? But I am positive you are not experiencing any lock malfunction here.
maybe i should check that
cause everytime I open the door, it unlocks all 4, but i always open it very quick
Old 02-28-2007, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I DID READ YOUR explanation.. Ok I'll explain it.. if you have your key fob set to unlock just your driver door and that's the ONLY door that unlocked when you get into your car.. when you start to drive the doors will automatically lock (that's only if you have this enabled). When you decide to park your car and want to open YOUR door only, it will automatically unlock all the doors that you have initially unlocked during that session. for example I am the only one who needed to get into the car, MY key unlocks just MY door. so when I shut my car down and open my door it will only unlock that door. Should I have passengers, I will press my unlock button again to unlock all doors. So when then whenever ANY of the two FRONT individuals decide to open their doors it will unlock ALL 4 doors.. that's how MY car is... I read your post and I'm just stating how my car works.. I've been the original owner of my car for the last 6 years, that's how mine has always been. No matter how fast I try to open the door or how slow I do it, that's how it works. but that's MY car.
Phattbam's interpretation is completely 100% correct.

The car "remembers" if any other doors were opened or not. So say you're walking to your car with your luggage and you unlock all of the doors because you want to put said luggage in the rear seat. The car remembers that the rear door was opened and upon opening your driver's door upon exit, it will unlock all of them. It does depend if you have your remote transmitter programmed to "Selective unlocking" or "Global unlocking". If you have your transmitter set to "Global unlocking" the car will always unlock all the doors.

Note, say you made a stop in your trip and you dropped someone off which required the opening of one or more doors. Now, you have the car to yourself. Even upon exiting, still all the doors will unlock.

Always, no matter what, if the front passenger opens his door under 3MPH, all car doors will unlock if they haven't already.

Last edited by patrick_y; 02-28-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 PM

w211 e500
Getting the same thing with mine. Its all about your key settings from the first open, press it once, only you are getting in, thus only you will unlock, press it twice for others, all doors will lock and unlock when opening. Same case for the driving lock, only open one, only one will lock cuz only one lock is open. TESTED this questions 2million times cuz i didnt have my owner manual when i first got the car, and i didnt want to screw around and get locke out. But that is Just my car also.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
it happens in my car too i don't pay it no attenion tho.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the advice, it all makes sense and somewhat explains the global locking. I guess I never realized that I pressed the locks twice to get in and when I noticed all were opening from inside sometimes and other times only my door. Never did put 2 and 2 together.

Guess this is why the forum exists, to sometimes ask stupid questions that we may not figure out.

My key fob is now set to 'global unlocking'
Old 03-01-2007, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 BMW e92 335i
Guess this is why the forum exists, to sometimes ask stupid questions that we may not figure out.
there are never really stupid questions.. It's just sometimes people don't want to help by explaining what the issue at hand may be, but instead recommend for you to read the manual. I'm glad you sorted things out.. enjoy the car.. there's other cool things too. like the recirculation button.. it can roll up your windows AKA "tunnel mode"..