C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Automatic Owners....SPORT/COMFORT mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
v6c230ss
Automatic Owners....SPORT/COMFORT mode?

Hey people, My question is whether any of you guys with auto drive in sport mode or comfort mode at all times? When i drive, i usually drive in COMFORT mode(probably cuz im 60j/k).

My other question is do you just switch from sport to comfort while moving? I have a tundra 4wd and thur experience it is recommend to shift from 2wd to 4wd while in motion. just wondering if its the same MB.

thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by tazilla
Hey people, My question is whether any of you guys with auto drive in sport mode or comfort mode at all times? When i drive, i usually drive in COMFORT mode(probably cuz im 60j/k).

My other question is do you just switch from sport to comfort while moving? I have a tundra 4wd and thur experience it is recommend to shift from 2wd to 4wd while in motion. just wondering if its the same MB.

thanks
i use sport mode...

sport starts in 1st gear, while comfort starts in 2nd gear

i always switch modes at a complete stop
Old 03-31-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 C400, 03' C240, '79 240D
Do you mean the W/S button beside the auto shifter? i thot that was a winter / summer driving mode... so in winter when theres less traction u start off in 2nd gear.
anyways maybe i read the manual wrong
Old 03-31-2007, 11:51 PM

2003 C240
I think they're talking about the tiptronic
Old 03-31-2007, 11:55 PM

2007 C350 SS
Originally Posted by rlee02135
i use sport mode...

+1
Old 03-31-2007, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
The only setting that I'm aware of is the W/S one beside the shifter. I only use the 'W' mode when there is water or snow on the ground, slower acceleration is probably better in those situations. All other times, I'm in S mode.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:59 PM

'15 C400, 03' C240, '79 240D
Originally Posted by kevblah
The only setting that I'm aware of is the W/S one beside the shifter. I only use the 'W' mode when there is water or snow on the ground, slower acceleration is probably better in those situations. All other times, I'm in S mode.
same here... thats what i thought i read in the owners manual a while back.

Speaking of tiptronic... is it best to get off the gas when shifting of can u just keep ur foot on teh gas as u shift up?
Thanks
Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 AM

2007 C350 SS
Originally Posted by kevblah
What does the 'W' mode stand for? I've only heard of the C/S/M modes. M mode (manual) is most commonly found in AMG cars w/ speed shift.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Almost a Member!

05' c230K
I usually drive in sport..it seems to shift faster between gears and also lets the engine hit a higher RPM before shifting. Also in sport mode from a stop it starts out in first gear while comfort starts out in second gear. Or sometimes I just use the Tiptronic..
Old 04-01-2007, 12:59 AM

v6c230ss
Originally Posted by T.O_c240
Do you mean the W/S button beside the auto shifter? i thot that was a winter / summer driving mode... so in winter when theres less traction u start off in 2nd gear.
Well i guess other regions have different settings. kevblah guess since your in the northeast you might have a canadian model.? anyways thanks for the input.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:09 AM

v6c230ss
Originally Posted by rlee02135
i use sport mode...

Thanks rlee....I know which is which between c/s. It was just after STF and reading up on the manual, there was nothing stating WHEN is the best option to switch modes. Im not going to lie I have switch it while in motion and it felt very and i mean very . I thought i was doing damage to the tranny by doing this and ask my SA and he said the trannys is BULLETPROOF. guess it doesnt matter but Ill play it safe until further notice.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:04 AM

10 C350
i use the sport mode at all times now
it just seems faster starting off in 1st gear
i like mine sportier
Old 04-01-2007, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
S is standard not sport
Old 04-01-2007, 09:54 AM

Nov 04 W203
exactly..S is standard while C is comfort..I was confused myself..checked the manual..difference is the gear shift..Comfort setting shifts the gears quicker..reason why S feels sportier when actually it is normal driving pattern..
Old 04-01-2007, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Ok, for the whole W/S and C/S confusion here is a clarification. The pre MY '04 W203s had the W/S button and the '04+ W203s have the C/S button. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by Ryanr317; 04-01-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:40 AM

2006 C55 AMG, 2.8L Quattro, Softail Nostalgia 1550 (Stage III), Sporster (slammed)
I drive in S mode 99.9% of the time. I drive using the selective gear modes on the 7G-Tronic about 85% of the time. I uses the Select Optimum Gear feature of the 7G-Tronic about 10% of the time. I drive with the ESP off about 20% of the time.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
W/S on older cars is the same as C/S on newer cars. The switches are interchangable, so here is a chance for an "upgrade" for 2004 and earlier cars.

Standard mode starts in first gear, shifts quicker, and stays in gear to higher RPM's. This mode is not as fuel conserving as the comfort mode. The Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) is the reason this feature is on the cars.

Comfort mode starts in second gear most of the time. It also causes the shift profile to be acomplished in the most fuel saving manner. According to one engineer "It turns the car into a motorized sofa, Ja?" There is also one undocumented feature of the comfort position. The hill holder mode. If your car is on a hill or incline with the nose up, you can take or foot off the brake and the car will not roll backwards. You will hear a clunk as the transmission locks, then a click when you add enough gas to start moving again. If you ever drive north on Crescent Heights and stop at Sunset Boulevard, you will appreciate this feature brought to you by the crew in the Getriebe Werks.

In the standard mode the hill holder does not function, so if you take your foot off the brake on an incline, the car will roll backward. This is why I keep my car in Comfort mode all the time. I also like saving fuel.

The C/S switch is an input to a complex transmission controller. The controller will not allow the vave body in the transmission to change clutches in a manner that would be bad for the transmission. You can change the switch anytime you like.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:52 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Moviela
W/S on older cars is the same as C/S on newer cars. The switches are interchangable, so here is a chance for an "upgrade" for 2004 and earlier cars.

Standard mode starts in first gear, shifts quicker, and stays in gear to higher RPM's. This mode is not as fuel conserving as the comfort mode. The Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) is the reason this feature is on the cars.

Comfort mode starts in second gear most of the time. It also causes the shift profile to be acomplished in the most fuel saving manner. According to one engineer "It turns the car into a motorized sofa, Ja?" There is also one undocumented feature of the comfort position. The hill holder mode. If your car is on a hill or incline with the nose up, you can take or foot off the brake and the car will not roll backwards. You will hear a clunk as the transmission locks, then a click when you add enough gas to start moving again. If you ever drive north on Crescent Heights and stop at Sunset Boulevard, you will appreciate this feature brought to you by the crew in the Getriebe Werks.

In the standard mode the hill holder does not function, so if you take your foot off the brake on an incline, the car will roll backward. This is why I keep my car in Comfort mode all the time. I also like saving fuel.

The C/S switch is an input to a complex transmission controller. The controller will not allow the vave body in the transmission to change clutches in a manner that would be bad for the transmission. You can change the switch anytime you like.
Wow, thanks for all the information man! I really didn't know that driving it in comfort mode, which is 'W'-mode for me, can save gas. I been trying to really stay off the gas pedal...and I always thought starting out in 2nd gear would just cause even more gas consumption, but I guess that after you get rolling the MPG's will really kick up....again thanks a lot....Premium gasoline here is about $3.69/gallon for me...
Old 04-01-2007, 04:24 PM

v6c230ss
moviela, That the kinda logical answer im looking for. guess you really are a fanatic cause you pretty much hit us NAILHEAD right on thanks alot
Old 04-01-2007, 04:42 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
up to 2003 it was called W/S modes (winter/summer)

2004 and newer care C/S/M (comfort=same as winter, Sport=same as summer, and manual= is the new edition that is where u can hold ur car at a read line, the car wont shift gears until u tell it too.)
Old 04-01-2007, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by tazilla

thanks
it does not matter when u shift between the C/S because it does not change the car from all-wheel drive to rear wheel drive, it just make the car start in 2nd gear, to prevent slipping of the line in winter. or prevent ur car from roling back on hills. u can switch between the 2 at any time during ur drive but it will only take effect when u are starting from a dead stop, if u are past the 2nd gear then you will not notice the difference in the drive. it will only be noticeable off the start line.

up to 2003 it was called W/S modes (winter/summer)

2004 and newer care C/S/M (comfort=same as winter, Sport=same as summer, and manual= is the new edition that is where u can hold ur car at a read line, the car wont shift gears until u tell it too.)
Old 04-01-2007, 05:10 PM

2007 C350 SS
Originally Posted by c230K415
Wow, thanks for all the information man! I really didn't know that driving it in comfort mode, which is 'W'-mode for me, can save gas. I been trying to really stay off the gas pedal...and I always thought starting out in 2nd gear would just cause even more gas consumption, but I guess that after you get rolling the MPG's will really kick up....again thanks a lot....Premium gasoline here is about $3.69/gallon for me...
Ouch, Premium in socal is about $3.39/gallon I think.

Originally Posted by Harry Madan
I think the "M" mode is only available for AMG's or cars with speed shift (paddles on steering wheel). I have the 2007 C350 and there's no "M" mode
Old 04-02-2007, 06:12 AM

AMG GTS
I just wanna do a follow-up after switching to W, or known as Comfort Mode, for most of my drives. My MPG in the city has gone from about 16.8 mph to about 20.0 mpg...this is a huge difference in my opinion...I was . Therefore I will pay for Moviela's gasoline bills from here on out. haha. Seriously though, thanks again guys for the info on such a simple thing to add a couple more miles to the gallon, love this forum.

Oh yeah...my highway mileage went from about 22 to 25.XX...some huge increases here...great time taking my friend around town, specially during Spring Break since gas is looking up for me.

Gas dropped...a tad....but $3.65/gallon still burns holes in wallet and pocket.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:54 PM

05 C230 Sports Sedan, Previously owned an 02 C230 Sports Coupe
The car manual (page 146) states that the button has two settings "S" and "C". "S" does indeed stand for "Sport" which is for "standard driving". "C" stands for "comfort" which is for "comfort driving". Taken from the text directly under the button diagram.

The manual states not to change the program mode when the gear selection lever is out of position "P".

Pretty clear.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by c230K415
I just wanna do a follow-up after switching to W, or known as Comfort Mode, for most of my drives. My MPG in the city has gone from about 16.8 mph to about 20.0 mpg...this is a huge difference in my opinion...I was . Therefore I will pay for Moviela's gasoline bills from here on out. haha. Seriously though, thanks again guys for the info on such a simple thing to add a couple more miles to the gallon, love this forum.

Oh yeah...my highway mileage went from about 22 to 25.XX...some huge increases here...great time taking my friend around town, specially during Spring Break since gas is looking up for me.

Gas dropped...a tad....but $3.65/gallon still burns holes in wallet and pocket.
i'm gland it all worked out for u, and now u have a better understanding of ur car. and i would like to add to the complements to the everyone on this form:
this form is grate a lot of ppl have a lot of experiences with benz, no matter what the problem some one on the form has seen it or lived through it, and are always ready to help with anything from a simple mod to the most extensive problems; problems something that the dealer is not even aware of. Hats off and a to every member of this form. grate job guys

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatic Owners....SPORT/COMFORT mode?