C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-01-2003, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm sure the dealership will say that aftermarket HIDs will mess up your suspension warranty as well as your 7 year rust perforation warranty

ok, seriously, the only one I can think of is your electronics system that may be affected.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:40 PM

no it will not mess up your warranty. you do not need to splice the wires to install it.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nov0798
no it will not mess up your warranty. you do not need to splice the wires to install it.
I think your computer will get an error message, yes? no?
Old 06-01-2003, 09:18 PM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
Try...

Originally posted by clotzki
CarlssonRs...

Thanks for your reply. One more thing, for Xenon reset , does the Dealer usually charge you ? or that's something you can negotiate? And also one thing, is it safe if I just turn the light on everytime before I turn on the engine?

Which Dealer would you recommend for me to go? How about santa monica w. simonson or bhills?
Auto Stiegler @ Encino. They did it free for me.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Harris
I think your computer will get an error message, yes? no?
Yes, until a tech with a DAS sets xenon to present.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
That doesn't matter at all...the dealership is happy to anounce that warranty of the complete electronic system is over as soon as you install (after market) HIDs...

greetingz,
Old 06-01-2003, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally posted by MBenzNL
That doesn't matter at all...the dealership is happy to anounce that warranty of the complete electronic system is over as soon as you install (after market) HIDs...

greetingz,

Thats what they told me about my aftermarket stereo.
If its a lease, you don't own the car, I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Erik
Old 06-02-2003, 12:27 AM

'03 c230k ss
If you have any problems, just put your original headlights back on and then see the dealer.
I don't think installing aftermarket HIDs will mess anything up... pretty much plug and play. At the worst, maybe the xenon bulb might go out or something...
You do take risk any time you do aftermarket mod.
If you get original MB Xenons, I don't think you'll have problems though...
But then... dealer will tell you if you retrofit the headlights, your car will explode or something...
Old 06-02-2003, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
they did it free? usually the dealer wont do it for you because they dont want people without xenons to change to the new bi-xenon headlamps.... and that is why its not available to buy at mercedes....
Old 06-02-2003, 02:16 AM

no the computer will not see an error or bulb out if you do it properly. you must use a relay that is hooked to the original wiring. you will need a resistor that is representative of the original light bulb so that the computer does not think it has a light out. you would then hook up the relay as usual using your original wiring to trigger the relay. as for waranties are concerned there is a law protecting you from the manufacturer. it is called the magnusson moss act. it basically says that a manufacturer cannot void a warranty because the consumer has decided to use an aftermarket part. the aftermarket part has to be designed to operate the same as the original part. (i.e. a header from brand x that was designed to be used as a header for the model vehicle in which you are installing it) the act also states that if the manufacturer specifies that it must be their part, then the manufacturer must supply it to the consumer at no charge. so by changing your headlights to a different brand/type will not void your warranty.

steve, are you going to answer the email i sent you regarding climatronic? i realize you said you were busy, but thought maybe you had some time now because you are responding to posts.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no the computer will not see an error or bulb out if you do it properly. you must use a relay that is hooked to the original wiring. you will need a resistor that is representative of the original light bulb so that the computer does not think it has a light out. you would then hook up the relay as usual using your original wiring to trigger the relay. as for waranties are concerned there is a law protecting you from the manufacturer. it is called the magnusson moss act. it basically says that a manufacturer cannot void a warranty because the consumer has decided to use an aftermarket part. the aftermarket part has to be designed to operate the same as the original part. (i.e. a header from brand x that was designed to be used as a header for the model vehicle in which you are installing it) the act also states that if the manufacturer specifies that it must be their part, then the manufacturer must supply it to the consumer at no charge. so by changing your headlights to a different brand/type will not void your warranty.

steve, are you going to answer the email i sent you regarding climatronic? i realize you said you were busy, but thought maybe you had some time now because you are responding to posts.

I'm sorry but you are giving out wrong advice. Modifying any car to the point at which the original part is changed will void the warranty. If what you say is true about the law, then your logic is flawed.

Example...the car requires an h7 bulb. You can use any company h7 you choose, but not HIDs designed for h7, besides the HIDs that are sold aftermarket usually come with a disclaimer for 'off-road' use only. If it was a simple bolt on and remove then there is no problem, but if you need to cut the wires in any way...say goodbye to that warranty. Now, if you lease the car, then the car is not yours, you can be either:

a. Sued by the leasing company
b. Charged to replace/fix the part you ruined
c. Nothing

They might not care or find out, however if they do, you do not have a legal leg to stand on.

Erik
Old 06-02-2003, 11:13 AM

thx for all advise, i think i am going to put a PIAA 7500k bulb on my car now
Old 06-02-2003, 11:21 AM

well if they are for off road use only then you dont have to worry about your warranty because they are illegal anyway.

so back to the origianl question, NO they will not void your warranty. you DO NOT have to cut any wires. heck if this were the case then removing the factory sound system and replacing with new amp, headunit and speakers would definately void your warranty in your world. use some common sense here, yes if you completely HACK your wiring harness then yea they probably would not honor it but you are not hacking anything. so the bottom line is dont you do anything to your car at all because it will void YOUR warranty. heck dont even tint the windows as this was not a factory installed option and it may void your glass warranty since you are altering the amount of light transmission through the glass. also dont ever install the command system because you definately have to alter the original installed wiring harness for that. plus installing the hid lights would actually help out the electrical system as they use less power to operate which in turn places less load on the alternator and in turn keeps it cooler which makes it last longer. in theory

also in your first sentence you state that modifying the car to which the origianl part is changed will void your warranty. WRONG!

example: i put k&n filters in my car, well they are not original parts so is the warranty void NO.
REASON: the replacement part is designed to do the same thing as the original and is made to fit that car.
VERDICT: manufacturer still has to honor warranty under magnusson moss act.

now if you put 25 inch wheels on your car when they came with 16 inch wheels and your wheel bearings failed then yes the manufacturer would be able to show that the wheel bearing failure was due to the larger wheels.

but replacing headlights will not burn out anything or place any additional load on the electricla system so the manufacturer would have a hard time proving this. now if you replace your headlights with kc daylighters then yea it will place more load on your system and they could possibly prove that it was due to the increased load.

Last edited by levelr123g; 06-02-2003 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

heck if this were the case then removing the factory sound system and replacing with new amp, headunit and speakers would definately void your warranty in your world.
I did replace mine and I did loose my warranty...MB will not touch anything related to my speakers, HU or reception.

so the bottom line is dont you do anything to your car at all because it will void YOUR warranty. heck dont even tint the windows as this was not a factory installed option and it may void your glass warranty since you are altering the amount of light transmission through the glass.
Tint is removable...your not damaging anything by puting tint on or off...however if your tint cause damage in your window motor, you would not be covered.

also dont ever install the command system because you definately have to alter the original installed wiring harness for that.
Then thats true...I don't know if you need to modify the harness or not, but if you cut you loose the warranty. Replacing the MB HU with the in dash CD requires no cutting, true P&P so warranty is not effected....same with climatronic...

also in your first sentence you state that modifying the car to which the origianl part is changed will void your warranty. WRONG!

example: i put k&n filters in my car, well they are not original parts so is the warranty void NO.
REASON: the replacement part is designed to do the same thing as the original and is made to fit that car.
VERDICT: manufacturer still has to honor warranty under magnusson moss act.
Again, logic mistake. I said you can change a h7 bulb to any company h7...just like you can chage your air filter to K&N or your oil filter....but, if you change the setup to lets say a pop charger or a CAI...then you would technically be voiding the warranty IF you cut something. IF you can replace the filter with a pop charger and be able to put it back without tearing or breaking anything, I doubt the warranty would be effected.

Erik
Old 06-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
also dont ever install the command system because you definately have to alter the original installed wiring harness
Not completely true...when spending 110USD more, one can use a true MB adapter wiring harness (163 partnumbered) that goes from the C conector to C1 and C2...no cutting involved!
going though MBworld for 20 minutes to reply some posts doesn't automatically mean that I have time enough to reply 290 unread mails...

greetingz,
Old 06-04-2003, 09:54 AM

IT'S ALL FREE

Just be nice to the SA and u get all this for Free...but basically you have to use OEM MB parts, no aftermarket blink-blinks.
Bi-Xenon set to Present
Comand set to Present
Alarm set to Neitherland
Tel set to No Present

Last edited by DL_AMG; 06-04-2003 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 03:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2002 W210 M112 | 2021 X247 M270 | 2015 Audi SQ5 | 2015 VW Golf R
Question do you need to change Fuse when HID is installed?

The install menu on my kit says you need to change to a bigger AMP ..30 AMP I think after you install the kit. If so, does any of you guys know which one is it in our fuse box? Thank you very much.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:15 AM

Re: IT'S ALL FREE

Hi,

what do these settings change the original one to?

Alarm set to Netherland?
Tel Set to No Present?

Originally posted by DL_AMG
Just be nice to the SA and u get all this for Free...but basically you have to use OEM MB parts, no aftermarket blink-blinks.
Bi-Xenon set to Present
Comand set to Present
Alarm set to Neitherland
Tel set to No Present
Old 06-05-2003, 01:32 AM

Re: Re: IT'S ALL FREE

Originally posted by aerodragon
Hi,

what do these settings change the original one to?

Alarm set to Netherland?
Tel Set to No Present?
Alarm set to Netherland instead of United State:
This will enable the "Chrip" sound when you arm and disarm the car. It Chrip with the signal light...3 for lock and 1 for unlock.

Telephone set to No Present :
This will remove the NO TEL on your Menu...just opposite to set Nav. to Present. Nav. Ready will show up in on of your Menu.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:24 AM

thanks...
Old 06-17-2003, 09:45 PM

2002 C240
Lightbulb Do aftermarket HID's void any warranty?

if i were to get aftermarket HID's would that void any warranty? please let me know. thanks.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There is a debate. Technically if you don't cut any wires, your warranty should not be effected, however if your HIDs cause a problem with the electrical system MB might give you trouble. IF your HID kit forces you to cut your old wires, then 99% your electrical warranty is gone. If your car is leased, I would be careful.

Sidenote. I am testing an HID kit for hids4less.com this Sunday that sould not void any warranty...I will post results on Sunday.

Erik
Old 06-17-2003, 11:54 PM

erik, how much will the stage II kit cost?any discount for group buy?
Old 06-18-2003, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Erik,

Please post a mini rewiew when you've done it, and your impresions.

Best Regards,

Ruben.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by fat_jim10
erik, how much will the stage II kit cost?any discount for group buy?
I am getting a discount for being the test car...but not that much of one. I will talk to them when I am there and see if we can get a group deal going. I will have a full review with pictures and movies on Sunday or Monday.

Erik

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread