C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 White C230 SS
Originally Posted by jtC320

Here we go. its actually bluer on the pic but it matches 6000K Headlights
That looks super nice !
Old 03-21-2006, 10:47 PM

2007 Honda CBR 600RR// BLK'03 C32K (RIP)// 2003 Acura RSX Type-S//1999 Lexus SC400//
around $80...i think its worth the money...but however, i heard that PIAA LED bulbs burn out fast...so...hopefully it'll last a bit...LMing...do you know if the LED burns out...can we just buy the bulbs or do we have to buy a whole new kit?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:51 PM

2005 White C230 SS
Originally Posted by jtC320
around $80...i think its worth the money...but however, i heard that PIAA LED bulbs burn out fast...so...hopefully it'll last a bit...LMing...do you know if the LED burns out...can we just buy the bulbs or do we have to buy a whole new kit?
Probably people install it without the resistor, but this kit comes with one, so I think we should be fine, even if it is dead, we just need to buy a replacement piaa led one...
Old 03-22-2006, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by LMing
Probably people install it without the resistor, but this kit comes with one, so I think we should be fine, even if it is dead, we just need to buy a replacement piaa led one...
so do you guys means the PIAA super tera comes with a kit set for the city light? may I have some more information on this? thx!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG Black on Carlsson 1/6 EVO
Looks good!!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:51 PM

Hids

If I am correct you run the wires back through the rubber boot that came with the kit. The spade connectors hook back into the stock headlamp wiring sliding the spades into the h-7 connection use the purple connectors between the h7 and wiring to help protect them. According to mtec they have something built into them to trick the computer and you should be good to go. You just need a hole saw to make a whole for the rubber boot. I would also make sure you silicone the back side of the wires on the rubber boot.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:44 AM

2002 C32
Thanks Lming!

Took your advice and gave it a good pull Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by LMing
Original one was Philips 4100k,

tenchi_dono, you need a small hand and pull from the plastic part, it needs a lot force for the first time.... heh guess it's tight...
Old 04-29-2006, 04:40 PM

2006 C230SS, 2007 e63, 2009 gl450, 2003 Ducati 749
Has anyone installed the MTECs into their C230s? Do you need to have the factory change the computer to "Xenon Present"?
Old 04-29-2006, 06:52 PM

C320 SC
unless you are in canada like me and have DRL you should be ok
Old 05-23-2006, 11:53 AM

2001 C240
HID upgrade problems

Hello Benz enthusiasts:

So i have this 2001 C240 with the ugly lights and i decided that i want to get a set of those DEPO aftermarket headlights and upgraded to HID lights w/the ballasts and the whole 9 yards. So, i get the lights installed which looked absolutely beautiful and then i install the HID upgrade kit following the directions very carefully (The kit was made by KAIXEN by the way). I have my buddy reset all the computer to make sure no errors were present and also did the "XENON PRESENT" modification on the computer reset.
** This computer fix did not work **

I've re-checked the wiring completely, and even did a simple swap of the ballasts from left to right and vice versa. Still nothing.

The problem i'm having is as follows:
1. As i start the car w/the headlamp switch on "AUTO"... as the sensors detect night time, and the ballasts ignite the lights, one comes on, and the other just flickers.
2. As i start the car w/the headlamp switch to "OFF"... as i drive away for a few feet and hit the switch manually to the "ON" position, one comes on, the other just flickers.
3. With the car NOT started, i manually put the headlights to the "ON" position, at which time BOTH ballasts ignite the lights and they come on as they should, but when i turn the engine on, one stays on, the other flickers.

I've re-checked the installation, and my guy has gone thru his computer with a fine tooth comb to search for any tricks or fixes that could fix this problem to no avail. Now my question is, is that i've read that some had HID upgrades w/no computer errors. Is this car sensitive to certain types of kits? or certain types of ballasts? I'm at my wits end, and any response would be appreciated
Old 05-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
maybe it's a fuse???
Old 05-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
For the side that flickers, is it consistently that side or is it dependent on whichever side that particular ballast is attached to.

The only thing I can think of is if you try switching the ballasts, see if the flickering changes to the other side. If it does, then it's that particular ballast that is bad. If not, maybe the xenon bulb is bad or the ignitor.

From the sound of things, you've probably run all these scenarios already, so I'll see if any other things come to mind as to what you could do. If you have the Xenon set to present already, you shouldn't be having a problem with the functionality. At that point, it has to be something with regard to the HID kit. Only problem is, it's difficult to really deduct what is wrong with the kit.

Keep us informed and I'll try to think of any other reasons why this may be happening. Sorry to hear about your troubles. On a positive note, do you have any pics of the housings installed? I'm sure there are a few people that have considered the depo lights and it always is a help for people to see it visually on a forum member's car.

Good luck with the resolution.

drex
Old 05-23-2006, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
I think the chances favor the cause as being the ballast. Not all are created
equal...and some have higher/lower resistance (and power draw). Zam2000
is the HID guru, having retrofitted couple dozen. He's also detailed on MBWorld
(as well as HIDPlanet) his relative ranking of ballasts....and their likelyhood of
invoking the flicker or "Lamp Defective" message.

Let me add that it is my experience that the Depo lens and reflector sux. So
for you to toss in an HID bulb inside a halogen projector is akin to putting lipstick
on a pig. Having said that, Depo may have changed their design, so i hope
(for your sake) they have. When you get things up and running, do post pic
of the light spread against a wall and we'll assess.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:42 PM

2001 C240
HID solved for now

Hello again,

Drex, thanks for the reassurance there, and Raymond, though the DEPO's aren't as nice as the SLK's and newer C's, they're a heck of alot easier on the eyes than the stock "clouded lines" headlamps. So, having said that, i brought my car in today (5/23) in the morning so my mechanic, Renno, can take another shot at the problem with the flickering menace. As a sidenote to this little drama, Renno emailed Euro Benz technicians with the problem to see if he'd get some feedback.

We've already established that switching ballasts, changing the program to "XENON PRESENT" and looking into load resistors to match the stock halogen and going higher on the fuse amperage did not help the inconsistent ignition of the bulbs. I left the car w/Renno for a couple hours so he can in his own words, "try to do some creative programming" to fix this problem.

So i come back and i get a greeting from Renno w/a big thumbs up and telling me that he's tried the lights "MANUALLY" and no flickering involved. He drove it with the headlamps in "AUTO" and we drove into an underground parking where the lighting was dim... IT TURNED ON W/NO FLICKERING! Renno told me that he'd been emailed w/some software ignition module pckg to which he downloaded it to his Mercedes computer and then re-programmed my car computer with the new software. The car was not made to accept HID and because of this, the computer was not recognizing the amount of draw from the coils and the low wattage bulbs. Apparently, having gone thru the basic computer and mechanical fixes, it was an ignition module software fix that got the car to respond and recognize the HID upgrade. I'm not a tech and barely car savvy to even explain the fix to the more advanced tech; so, let me end this long drawn out drama to say that i hope that this is it.

Oh, and the first chance i get tomorrow after i wash and detail it a bit, i'll take pictures of the car w/the aftermarket lights/grill w/flat badge.

Thanks for your patience in reading and replying to this.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by kenzobenzo
Hello again,

Drex, thanks for the reassurance there, and Raymond, though the DEPO's aren't as nice as the SLK's and newer C's, they're a heck of alot easier on the eyes than the stock "clouded lines" headlamps. So, having said that, i brought my car in today (5/23) in the morning so my mechanic, Renno, can take another shot at the problem with the flickering menace. As a sidenote to this little drama, Renno emailed Euro Benz technicians with the problem to see if he'd get some feedback.

We've already established that switching ballasts, changing the program to "XENON PRESENT" and looking into load resistors to match the stock halogen and going higher on the fuse amperage did not help the inconsistent ignition of the bulbs. I left the car w/Renno for a couple hours so he can in his own words, "try to do some creative programming" to fix this problem.

So i come back and i get a greeting from Renno w/a big thumbs up and telling me that he's tried the lights "MANUALLY" and no flickering involved. He drove it with the headlamps in "AUTO" and we drove into an underground parking where the lighting was dim... IT TURNED ON W/NO FLICKERING! Renno told me that he'd been emailed w/some software ignition module pckg to which he downloaded it to his Mercedes computer and then re-programmed my car computer with the new software. The car was not made to accept HID and because of this, the computer was not recognizing the amount of draw from the coils and the low wattage bulbs. Apparently, having gone thru the basic computer and mechanical fixes, it was an ignition module software fix that got the car to respond and recognize the HID upgrade. I'm not a tech and barely car savvy to even explain the fix to the more advanced tech; so, let me end this long drawn out drama to say that i hope that this is it.

Oh, and the first chance i get tomorrow after i wash and detail it a bit, i'll take pictures of the car w/the aftermarket lights/grill w/flat badge.

Thanks for your patience in reading and replying to this.
Ken, that is awesome! Glad your mechanic was able to figure it out. BTW, noticed you're in LA! Where is your mechanic, cuz if he's that good and has access to Star Diagnose programming, I might ask him to do some work on my car at some point.

If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me the info.

Thanks.

drex
Old 05-25-2006, 10:25 PM

2006 C230 Sedan
HID Kit Help !!

So i jut got an HID kit to upgrade my foglights and bi-xenons. Do you guys think this is something that can be a do it yourselfer. I am pretty handy with tools i am just scared of electricity. If i were to get someone to install these for me how much do you think i would be looking at? Its the full HID kit (plug and play with bulbs, ballasts and connectors. I did a search for a step by step on how to do this but came up empty. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:08 AM

c320 '03
Talking try fog light bulb removel

to replace the fog light try foglight removel instruction.. just replace the hid system inplace of the 9006 bulb, n the bi's sorry i dont have that.. i got aftermarket hids in place of the h-7,
Old 05-26-2006, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by eunosracr
So i jut got an HID kit to upgrade my foglights and bi-xenons. Do you guys think this is something that can be a do it yourselfer. I am pretty handy with tools i am just scared of electricity. If i were to get someone to install these for me how much do you think i would be looking at? Its the full HID kit (plug and play with bulbs, ballasts and connectors. I did a search for a step by step on how to do this but came up empty. Any help is greatly appreciated.
1) Why would you get an HID kit to upgrade BIX?
2) Didn't your kit come with a manual?

Old 05-26-2006, 07:53 AM

2006 C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
1) Why would you get an HID kit to upgrade BIX?
2) Didn't your kit come with a manual?

I was thinking the same exact thing. I was like why would i replace the bi-xenons with the HID which brings me to my next question. I know the main head light is xenon but what about the city light right next to it is that not a regualr bulb? If so can that one be converted to HID. Or should I just put the HID kit in as the fogs? It did not bring a manual because it was part of a trade with another forum member. Any ideas ?
Old 05-26-2006, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
what size is the bulb?
the h7 fits the heallight and 9006 fits the fogs.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:06 AM

2006 C230 Sedan
Originally Posted by rlee02135
what size is the bulb?
the h7 fits the heallight and 9006 fits the fogs.
Exactly. I think I figured out what kenzmbz did. See thread attached. He did the HID upgrade on his fogs and used matching bulbs in his bixenons. I think thats the route im going to take. Is this a do it yourselfer? What do you guys think?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=kenzmbz

Last edited by eunosracr; 05-26-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:37 PM

2003 c230k sport 4 door
Newbie Help w/HID kit

Hi everyone,My name is Alex and I just purchased my first Mercedes C230K.

I tryed searching but couldn't find my answer.
I want to install an HID kit and was wondering what are the common kits for these cars.I don't want to spend more then $400 and want them in 6000k and up.Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
contact Carlab
CarLAB Motorsports - 670 Nuttman St #101/102 - Santa Clara, CA 95054 - T: 650 641 0194 / 408 718 2986
they have a kit that u can installed with out putting the Car Setting to Xenon=Present

also search for Xenon, HID,Bi-xenon u must find your answer
Old 05-26-2006, 03:46 PM

2003 c230k sport 4 door
Originally Posted by WaveyKat
contact Carlab
CarLAB Motorsports - 670 Nuttman St #101/102 - Santa Clara, CA 95054 - T: 650 641 0194 / 408 718 2986
they have a kit that u can installed with out putting the Car Setting to Xenon=Present

also search for Xenon, HID,Bi-xenon u must find your answer

I called them up but he said the check engine light would turn on.
Can it be removed?I don't want no check engine light on.
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:49 PM

c320 '03
bulb size..

Originally Posted by eunosracr
Exactly. I think I figured out what kenzmbz did. See thread attached. He did the HID upgrade on his fogs and used matching bulbs in his bixenons. I think thats the route im going to take. Is this a do it yourselfer? What do you guys think?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=kenzmbz
hay bro u kinda got the size wrong.. i ment he has the same temp of bulb on his fog n head, but not the same side the head on bi- usually be d2r, but not sure i got to check the lightbulb size bulb n the fog is 9006, he just use the same temp of bulb, u better check what u got.. if u got h-7 than its the headlight either the high beam or low will work.. n the d2r is the oem bi, or oem hid, and the 9006 is the fog.. sorry for writhing so long.. how it help..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits & required setting XENON=PRESENT thread