C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

ESP Problem-- 1st thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63 AMG
Okay, turned my car on today and the message:

ESP / BAS / ABS messages came on. The car drives fine, and normal but those lights are just on - I don't notice the car braking 'harder'. Any idea what it can be? I'm about to travel, so I might drop it off at the dealership tomorrow and see if it's a quick fix.

MB Roadside says it could just be a weak battery--??

I don't have any rims or any of that. Car is stock (well, MB OEM) and in fine condition, one minute it was working fine, next minute the lights come up, nothing has been changed.

??????

Tee_Tz.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Is it your air mass meter? I bought a new one for mine and so far it worked. However, after installation, the ESP service light showed while I was driving the car to have the star diag reset the code tripped by the faulty, now new, mass air meter. After having the star diag reset the code, the car has not shown any problems. However, it was intermittent before so there is still a possibility of flaw in my problem. I do indeed think it is fixed now, because the star diag didn't bring up anything else wrong with the car. I am going to have the accelerator sensor installed next hopefully it doesn't fry the car.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Almost a Member!

well guess what everyone? I was driving along today and then here comes the ESP light and my accelerator went dead again. I've had enough of the guessing games and it is sitting in the dealer as we speak.

I think its either:

Pedal value sensor

OR

My audio 10 cd player is not compliant with my car. Does anyone know more about this? Its similar to this one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...spagenameZWDVW

I read more into the cd player, and it turns out that they say that specific cd player is not for use on the new w203s.. Well mine isn't a new w203, its the older model w203 with a different optic loop than the new ones, so i believe the CD player is fine for my model. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I dont think my problem is related to the CD player. However, the CD player seems a little jumpy when determining the vehicles speed and adjusting for noise. Could the CD's speed reader be interfering with the ESP? Someone mentioned ESP is on the CAN bus and not the DB2 loop. Therefore, I dont think the cd player would have anything to do with my problem.

I think that there is a good chance its my pedal value sensor, as there is an actual campaign for that specific problem. However, I don't know this for sure. Logic tells me that if my accelerator stops working when I am pressing it down, and the ESP light comes on, then the fault lies in the accelerator. I turn off the car, and turn it back on, the fault is gone and the accelerator works normal. Also, the accelerator seems to be a little jumpy, and sometimes you have to mash it to get the car to move. I dont know if thats a sign of a faulty pedal value sensor, can anyone help?

PPPPPPPl333333333333333ZZZZZZ

Last edited by c240on19s; 04-30-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Almost a Member!

alright so i get the estimate from the dealer... $3800 to fix everything wrong.. I get the car back on thursday. The cause for the ESP light was because I used KN airfilters and it was ruining the mass air meters. KN filters are oil based, and consequently our mass air meter doesn't take too kindly to oil based filters, it prefers dry paper filters.

I also had some other things wrong with my car, valve cover gaskets on both sides, engine mounts, and linkage bushings all needed to be replaced. Also a transmission seal was bad too. Not the pan, some other control seal. They also mentioned something about a rear window amplifier that was missing, windshield wipers, and a cabin filter. Also, they wanted to fix my hood latch because of a aftermarket grill that called for a mod (Cut the thing off) I dont know what on earth they are talking about with the rear window amplifier, b/c both my defrost and audio system are fine, maybe they were just trying to get more dough. Anyone with input on that would surely be greatly appreciated.

When I get the car back, im going to swap out the filters and the air meter myself, thats easy. I'm also going to clean my airbox very well with alcohol to get rid of any oil...

MORAL OF THE STORY----------->>>> K&N FILTERS ARE NOT FOR MERCEDES

end of story

please feel free to comment
Old 05-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Almost a Member!

on friday im going to have the netherlands mode activated, thanks to some scouring of the forum.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Almost a Member!

yeah well i read into the KN's, and are they pieces of **** or what... Oily mess if you ask me-- I didn't let mine dry b/c I had no idea when I installed them. I do remember them being very greasy. After I used compressed air, to clean out the filter box intakes(still filters installed and attached to motor) the esp light came on. I bet I covered the box/maf with that damn oil. What a rip off! Yes you get more flow, but you dont get proper filtration... Oh yeah, and you get globules of oil stuck in places it doesn't belong...

SUM IT UP

K&N+MERCEDES-BENZ=$3800 REPAIR BILL

STAY AWAY
Old 05-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Almost a Member!

i got the car back, drives great and the motor doesn't shake the car anymore. My seals are all fixed up too! Looks, feels, and drives like new again. I changed back to the original air filters myself when I got home, and I noticed a difference in the smoothness of the motor. It was back in shape again. All I can say is that the pulley/sparkplug/k/n filter upgrades aren't worth the headaches of the computer malfunctions that are a result of them.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Almost a Member!

UPdate----> The car is much faster now. I installed the new correct functioning mass air meter and oem filter. Believe it or not, its way faster now. I also have the evosport pulley underdrive kit, with desno iridium spark plugs. I feel that this is the optimal setup with out frustrations.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:05 PM

´01 C240 Avantgarde
Same Problem...

Hi, I just read everything you guys posted and I feel so dissapointed at MB... I already had my air mass sensor changed twice with OEM filters, and accelerator pedal changed and the ESP sign still appear sometimes, when I less expect/need it.

What I would´ve never thought about is that my CD changer is not working and that it may have something to do... How can this be possible to happen?????

I will take it to the dealer and have it checked becuase I´m selling it as soon as the ESP problem is solved!!!!!!!!!! I´m throughtwith it!!!
Old 04-05-2008, 05:33 PM

2001 C320
What is Wrong

I don't understand what is going on with my C320. All of you guys are mentioning the same problems I am having. ESP comes on, car runs like dirt, have to turn off, turn on, turn off, turn on. All of a sudden I can drive the car without any problems, then no acceleration power. Every time I take it into the shop, they cant find the problem. Then, I took the mechanic for a drive and the car acted up. He replaced the O2 sensor and the accelerator actuator. The drove fine for about 10 miles then the ESP came on again. Took the car back, mechanic replaced the throttle body and sensor. The car runs worse now. Anybody have any idea? could it be the wire harness?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:38 AM

c240
Hi, i just registered about 2 mim and i am have the same problem you are faceing , did you it solve . please let me know what i can do with mine. thanks
Originally Posted by c240on19s
Hello everyone, I am new here. I really like this website.

I own a 2001 C240

Today, I took my car to the shop to have a o2 sensor and a mass air meter installed. When I picked the car up, it was shifting rather hard into the gears during my city travel. However, on the interstate, this problem went away. After I got off the interstate, the problem was gone and it was shifting like normal.

A few seconds later, the warning light saying to take the car to the shop b/c of a ESP malfunction; and the car wouldn't move. THe engine was still running fine, but the car wouldn't go over 4mph.. It was just enough to make it to a parking lot, etc.

I pulled over, put on my flashers, and turned off the car. I started it back up, and all was fine. No light, perfect operation. About every 10 miles the light came back on, but only during city driving.Once I got back to the interstate, it was fine.

My question is, What the hell is wrong with my car? I know esp problems are expensive, and I would really appreciate another opinion than the person I'm paying to fix it. The mechanic said it might be the air mass meter, because the part number was one digit off, and it could have put the computer into limp mode--- but we have no clue how this relates to the esp...

I have stff and found something that mentioned about a wire harness or possible sensor replacement... Any idea how much this was?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 AM

c240
Originally Posted by oju2
Hi, i just registered about 2 mim and i am have the same problem you are faceing , did you it solve . please let me know what i can do with mine. I took the car to the shop , i was giving like 3 , 4 problems that was comeing up on the computer ( esp controle unite,) and some others, an other guy told me its might be the wheel sensor.
thanks
I just bought the car from a private saler, also they change the wheels and shock and the spring, wholud that couse anthing to the wheel sensor.