C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

fight with a tree...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w211 e500
Originally Posted by C24owner
Looks like the tree won.

Glad to here you guys are okay.

Now, go take a hammer to the headlights, and tell the adjuster that you had BIX
2ND.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:27 AM

2005 C230 Sport Sedan w/Automatic
Wow, glad you're both okay. Just curious, what was it like when the airbags went off?

Leif W.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
the cost of replacing the 2 airbags will cost more than the body work and your car will also be branded.

Also replacing the dash that the airbag ripped through will not be cheap

Last edited by Boom vang; 05-29-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:21 PM

w211 e500
Sell it ! start over.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Ouch. Having taken apart the coupe extensively, I can tell you that is pretty serious damage. You'll need a new fender, inner fender lining, bumper, foglight, windshield washer reservoir, headlight, impact strip, various metal brackets and tubings and mesh trim, lorinser rim and tire, dashboard, and airbags. Cost of parts alone will be over $5000. Total cost IMO will be around $9000-$10,000 with paint and labor. You do have frame damage. The upper part of the fender sits on part of the metal frame, so it will need to be straightened in order for the fender to line up properly. Also, trying to get the bodyshop to replace the front bumper with a lorinser front bumper might be tough. You'd have to get the bumper for them since they will probably just order an OEM bumper from the dealer using your cars VIN #. It did not come from the factory with a lorinser bumper. It was modified at CEC. The headlight should have damage to the side support bracket, that is why it would need repair or replacement. The suspension and steering rack should be checked out as well. The spindle is probably bent. Get a rental car and good luck.

Last edited by pshek; 05-29-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by pshek
Ouch. Having taken apart the coupe extensively, I can tell you that is pretty serious damage. You'll need a new fender, inner fender lining, bumper, foglight, windshield washer reservoir, headlight, impact strip, various metal brackets and tubings and mesh trim, lorinser rim and tire, dashboard, and airbags. Cost of parts alone will be over $5000. Total cost IMO will be around $9000-$10,000 with paint and labor. You do have frame damage. The upper part of the fender sits on part of the metal frame, so it will need to be straightened in order for the fender to line up properly. Also, trying to get the bodyshop to replace the front bumper with a lorinser front bumper might be tough. You'd have to get the bumper for them since they will probably just order an OEM bumper from the dealer using your cars VIN #. It did not come from the factory with a lorinser bumper. It was modified at CEC. The headlight should have damage to the side support bracket, that is why it would need repair or replacement. The suspension and steering rack should be checked out as well. The spindle is probably bent. Get a rental car and good luck.
Wow, good info Peter!

Sorry to see your car in such bad shape, but glad to hear you and your g/f are ok. After all the potential damage Peter described, I sure hope your car has a full and speedy recovery.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:04 PM

w211 e500
Those numbers are steep, How much of that is insurance going to cover ?
Old 05-29-2007, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by outaurleague
Those numbers are steep, How much of that is insurance going to cover ?
I'd imagine all but the deductible.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Time for a new ride?
Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 PM

lorinser 02 c230
well, looks like your about right, and thanks for the info btw. ive talked to the adjustor and he says that right now he has the damage at 13,000 and thats before hes factored in the cost of the lorinser bumper, wheel, foglight and suspension. he is going to talk to lorinser canada tomarrow, which is the closest place i could find that carried all the lorinser stuff, and get prices from them. i have no idea where he is getting the numbers he has now, and the only thing i can think of that would push it up that high is that it does have frame damage, like you said, and i know the suspension will need work now as well. He said that the car was getting close to being totaled, and that the lorinser stuff might push it over. idk what value he has set on the car but hopefully the lorinser stuff wont push it over. from looking at the website the bumper will be about 1400, the wheel is 800, and a full new suspension kit is 2000, but idk what parts exactly are needed so we will see how much that turns out to be.

if the car is not totaled they will pay everything but the deductible, but if it does end up being totaled i wouldent mind paying the difference between their value and the cost of repairs if its not to great, because it would take alot more money that that to build a car like this again. regardless, the car will be out for most of the summer, but i dont really mind that as i will be traveling, so i wouldent be driving it anyway. hopefully it will all work out as cheaply as possible
Old 05-29-2007, 09:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i agree with you. the total lost value that they might give you might be far less than what you have put in to built the car with the stuff that you have put it. one of my fav. coupey btw.

hope everything gets worked out.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 PM

'06 SS
WOW...

I still can't get past that wheel damage.

Glad to hear that you and the GF are OK. In the end that is ALL that matters.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 PM

mine: '01 C240 w/heavy modifications dad's: '05 997 Carrera S
yeah, I had a simple fender-bender and my front crossbrace needed mending....wouldve cost like 2k...so when i got my CF hood I had TWS tae a mallet and straighten it out ...probably not the best idea for YOU though...but I know how it is with little exterior dmg and insurance adjusters hit you BIG.
what is it about having someone in the car? speed goes down majorly. even if its my gf who loves fast driving, never go as fast w/her in the car.

in my experience, if you yourself give the bodyshop the parts you want installed on the repair, they'll be happy and do a great job, but they usually wnt order aftermarket parts. So if you can get a check for the cost of the lorinser parts, get them, and bring them to the body shop with the car, it will probably be fine.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Almost a Member!

'07 c230
god damn teenage drivers!
..... oh, wait, we're like the same age......NVM!
that does suck tho, good to hear that u are ok
Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 AM

2005 C240
wow that alot declare totaled and get a new one...a toyota hit me had a scratch and i got stuck with 3 gs of repair and i worked at american service center in arlington VA sucks man good luck and get it fixed quick so we can have a meet
Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 AM

w211 e500
Yeah i'm thinking new whip.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Originally Posted by shogun875
Well, I was hoping that i would be able to avoid this, but i guess not. I was taking my g/f home saturday night and there was gravel on a hairpin turn and I lost control and slid into a tree, but luckly no one was hurt and the damage isnt as bad as it could have been. Just thought id share as a warning that even if you know a road well, you never know what the road condition could be.
Were you trying to your best impression of a Lindsay Lohan?? http://www.carzi.com/2007/05/27/lind...find-coke-dui/

I think that the damage should buff out

Last edited by Boom vang; 05-30-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:28 PM

2002 c230k hb
Gravel or elevated entry speed then hit the brakes causing the rear to unload rear tires?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:32 PM

lorinser 02 c230
Originally Posted by noreaga0221
Gravel or elevated entry speed then hit the brakes causing the rear to unload rear tires?
not quite. breaked before turn, started accelerating through the turn, hit the gravel & front looses traction. that + narrow road + sharp turn =
il take a pic of the turn next time im up there.

and no, not trying to impersonate lindsy wasnt drunk or high luckly, so all i got was a failure to maintain control ticket, and thats probably going to be hard to argue. "your honor, i was traveling safely along this road and the tree just jumped out and attacked me and dragged my car off the road. it happens all the time up there, honest."

and unfortunatly i dont think it will hammer or buff out, but i do plan on trying to keep this buggy.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
does your car have engine/performance mods as well? or is it mostly aesthetic?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:09 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Damn, glad you guys are OK. The car can be replaced, but neither you nor your girlfriend can. Good luck with the final resolution with the insurance company!

Bob
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by rtking
The car can be replaced, but neither you nor your girlfriend can.
Before I got married, I replaced girlfriends all the time.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Blake P
Before I got married, I replaced girlfriends all the time.
i had gf for weekdays, gf for weekends and gf for late nites at the same time...
Old 05-31-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
It would be wonderful if this $13K “accident” became a watershed event, initiating the transition, to operating motor vehicles in a safe, responsible, acceptable manner.

My opinion, however, is that poor vehicle operators continue ad infinitum.

In this instance, the insurance company will apply incentive to improve, in the form of higher premiums, until their cost is more than recouped.

The fault is not gravel on the roadside, but instead operator error.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by MJ50
i had gf for weekdays, gf for weekends and gf for late nites at the same time...
you mean your left hand, right hand, and your blow up doll??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: fight with a tree...