C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: Opinion of the Panorama Roof
The Panorama Roof is a Necessity
75.35%
Take it or Leave it, I don't care
8.45%
Forget it, Spend your money on a Pulley
16.20%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

CL203 Coupe Pano-roof Maintenance - MB lube Grease Part #s, gears, & fixes

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-23-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 135i
Originally Posted by BrieBenz
Ok, so anyone live in the freezing cold where overnight it gets really cold? I do, and when my car freezes over, I dont have a lot of time to sit and wait for it to defrost, and when I pull out of the driveway, I hear weird loud creaks coming from the panaramic sunroof, almost like its breaking.

Do you know if this is doing anything to the actual roof? Or is it normal?

2day is your lucky day lol .. cuz i laso have a coupe and also have panroma sun roof with the same problem it creaks i took to the dealer ship and told him that it sqeaks 2 much and they fix it i think they put grease,( i dont really know what they did to it) but they fixed it and no more creaks or sqeaks THW BAD THING IS THAT WHEN I TOOK IT AND THEY FINSH FIXING IT THEY TOLD ME THEY FUKN SCRATCHED MY CAR I GOT SO PIST , THEY TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY AND THAT ITS GOING TO BE GOOD AS NEW THERE GOING TO FIX IT
Old 03-23-2006, 10:42 PM

C230K
So, what does a scratch on your car have to do with the sunroof....? hmm...And whats up with your english? OOOh yeah, I remember, your the one who posted that 'teens with benz' thread...

That explains it all!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:30 PM

BMW 135i
So, what does a scratch on your car have to do with the sunroof....? hmm...And whats up with your english? OOOh yeah, I remember, your the one who posted that 'teens with benz' thread...

That explains it all!

'teens with benz' ? wtf are you talking about

i told you u, i had the same problem like you did with your sunroof and how i fixed it
Old 03-24-2006, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Seattle is a great town. Lots of places to enjoy an adult beverage and meet nice folks, but you can't call a hole in the top of your car a sun roof. It is a rain roof.

Seattle also calls that tower "The Space Needle." Has it ever been in space? No, damnit! It is really a ground needle.

Back to the topic, for the squeeky bits on a sun roof, I use lanolin. It is a waterproof wax made from wool. It does not get dirty, it does not stink or go rancid, and it stays where you put it. A tiny amount on latches makes the doors and hood work effortlessly in any weather. I buy it in a tube from mcmastercarr.com.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally Posted by Outland
Tapping the switch very lightly is the best way to make it go away. It frees the roof from the seal enough to prevent the noise entirely.
Yeah that's what I do as well. The only problem I run into is sometimes the shade gets stuck when it's very cold, so I've tried to remember to leave the shade open in the winter.

Erik
Old 03-24-2006, 10:40 AM

C230K
Sorry 'Bout That

Originally Posted by c230 o5
'teens with benz' ? wtf are you talking about

i told you u, i had the same problem like you did with your sunroof and how i fixed it

so that was MY bad....gosh im trying to start a board fight. geez..my bad! Wrong User...ok, you can hate me now. =oP

I thought you were the kid who posted that thread, but I was wrong. Sorry bout that!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:30 PM

BMW 135i
so that was MY bad....gosh im trying to start a board fight. geez..my bad! Wrong User...ok, you can hate me now. =oP

I thought you were the kid who posted that thread, but I was wrong. Sorry bout that!

its ok .. but if it creaks 2 much take it to the dealer, like i did and they put grease to it ( i think) and then i wasnt hearing any sounds
Old 06-27-2006, 06:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
14 ML350 4MATIC
Grinding noise from Pano roof

Hi all,

Once in a while, my pano roof making gear-grinding noise, but it will disappear after fully open and close couple of times.

I think if I apply some grease in the moving part, it won't do it...
so, I am just wondering where exactly I need to put grease on.

It seems like I need to open something because I cannot see any gear or track for the glass roof at all.

Thanks in advance,
Old 06-27-2006, 08:03 PM

2002 C230K Coupe Panoramic Roof Problem

My roof is having problems.

It will close the glass portion but once it is closed, it just clicks, violently.
The sun shade does not close. My head is burning and I was wondering as I wait for a appointment, is there a way to manually close the shade?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:24 PM

2002 C230 K, 6 speed
Originally Posted by jcv177
My roof is having problems.

It will close the glass portion but once it is closed, it just clicks, violently.
The sun shade does not close. My head is burning and I was wondering as I wait for a appointment, is there a way to manually close the shade?

I had problems with mine as well. The plastic suports for the sun shades broke so the front part of it does not close any more. I would have to buy new ones and replace them myself.
I hate the steelership and do not intend to go back there again.
Well the good quality of mercedes
Old 06-28-2006, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by MBSang
Hi all,

Once in a while, my pano roof making gear-grinding noise, but it will disappear after fully open and close couple of times.

I think if I apply some grease in the moving part, it won't do it...
so, I am just wondering where exactly I need to put grease on.

It seems like I need to open something because I cannot see any gear or track for the glass roof at all.

Thanks in advance,
Take it into service and have them lubricate the sunroof with a special part. There's a special type of oil for the panoramic roof to lubricate it. It's not the same one to lubricate the tilt sunroof.

You might be able to buy it from the parts department and thus save you the astronomical labor fee the dealership is going to charge you just to put it on. Hopefully the bottle has clear instructions on how and where to apply it.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
14 ML350 4MATIC
lube up pano-roof

Hi,

Mine is out of warrenty, so I want to know what the best lube for 02 panoroof is, and where to apply it. I know i need a silicon based one for the rubber seal around roof. But, not sure for the metal-to-metal parts.

Thanks in advance,
Old 09-18-2006, 02:46 PM

C230K Coupe Panoramic Roof Problem

Hello all,
I am having trouble with my panoramic roof.

As you may know, the roof opens in two stages, first the sun shade opens second the glass roof opens. The roof then closes in the opposite manner.

On my roof:
1. the sun shade opens fine by pulling either back or down on the multi-function roof switch.
2. the glass roof opens a few inches each time you press the switch back or down (it does open fully)
3. the glass roof closes in the same way (a little at a time)
4. the sun shade then will not close when the switch is pressed in any way. Instead, the motor makes a loud clicking/grinding sound.

The only solution is to close the sunshade manualy using the hand crank. Note: if I close the shade just a little bit with the crank it will then close smoothly with the motor by depressing the multi function switch forward.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can offer.

Please note that I have tried the reset instructions contained in the manual to no avail. Unless I have done something wrong, that has not worked.

Again, thank you.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
Wink Hey

That happened to my 2002 C230K no more than two weeks ago. Me and one of my buddies:

1) Took both sun visors off
2) Took out the dome light assembly and rear view mirror
3) Then we removed the handles in the headliner
4) After we finally got the headliner to give us enough room to get a screwdriver around the motor we noticed an elaborate scheme of many tubes and two motors.
5) We took off the motor cover to the glass (left motor) and removed the pink sprocket.
6) We oiled the housing of the sprocket, cleaned the sprocket and oiled both of them.
7) Next we manually slid the glass back and forth to move the spring unit inside the elaborate tubes and oiled inside the tubes.

It is a very time consuming project but it beats paying an exponential amount to the dealers
Old 09-18-2006, 05:12 PM

C320 Coupe
if ur car still under warranty, take it back to dealer and have it fix, the problem is well known for the 2002 model, if u are out of warranty and they dont' fix for you, then you have to pay 2k to get it fix
Old 09-19-2006, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Me too

My car is doing exactly this right now.
Where is the hand crank to close the shade?

Ed
Old 09-20-2006, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
The hand crank is a metal crank that is supplied with the automobile. Read your manual, the usual procedure is that you must remove the driver's side dome light take out the metal heat shield and there should be a black plastic tube that has a hole in it. Insert crank and turn.

The manual has a few good pictures of it and explains it better than I did.

Good luck!

$2,000 for a design flaw on their part? Geez louise. Personally, I hate moonroofs, in fact, if I could, I would've ordered my car without it. I have taken in my 2005 C230K SS to the dealer once to have the moonroof fixed, since it wouldn't open very smoothly in hot weather. I believe the moonroof on all W203 vehicles to be poorly designed and I am rightfully worried that in the future there may be some problems that develop from the moonroof.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Originally Posted by powa
if ur car still under warranty, take it back to dealer and have it fix, the problem is well known for the 2002 model, if u are out of warranty and they dont' fix for you, then you have to pay 2k to get it fix
I had this issue with my 03 as well. The fix is a new "roof module", which is the electronic contoller. If the roof module is the problem, a dealer will be able to find a fault code with his computer hooked up.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:34 AM

2003 C320 Sports Coupe
Angry Continuing Panorama Roof Problems

I have posted on this issue and conducted a search of posts and the list of TSBs. We are continuing to have a problem with the shades on the panorama roof of our 2003 C320 Sports Coupe. It seems we have had Greenway Mercedes in Houston "repair" it at least four times. The problem is that the button for opening the shades and the roof opens both normally. Then it seems that we hit a small bump in the street (not a large chuck hole!) and the fun starts over. The button will only open the shades a little bit at a time and then the shades will get stuck open. Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on or on ways to really repair the problem? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Have your dealer check for broken roof rails. I had this happen to mine. The symptoms were a little different, though: when opening the shades, the rear one would get stuck closed (spring-loaded) and then would open with a loud "bang!" on car hitting a road imperfection.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:23 PM

CL203 Coupe Pano-roof Maintenance - MB lube Grease Part #s, gears, & fixes

MB quality is not what it should be as we all know but this surprised me. Driving my '03 C230 36k miles coupe and moved to close the sunroof. Imagine my surprise and disgust as grinding noises and pieces of plastic started flying. Having what was described by the dealer when I bought the car new as the best most ironclad front to back warranty out there, I got the MB extended 100k warranty figuring I'd keep the car forever which I did with 2BMW's previously well over 100k miles. But I digress. So drove to my local dealer. They fixed the car perfectly. Then they asked for $280.

Apparently both sunroof deflector arms had failed. Part# 203-780-01(and 02)-75. When I inquired as to the warranty, they replied that although the sunroof motor was covered, no sunroof parts otherwise were. As I am sure this sort of frustration has been hashed over many times on this board, I won't go into it any further.

But suffice it to say that MB considers failure of both sunroof deflector arms at 36,000 miles to be acceptable quality or perhaps a routine wear item expected after such a long period of service.

Gave the MB 800 number a call. Is there any other way to let the company and the government know so that proper tracking for quality can occur? I suppose it is possible I had the 2 worst arms in the batch of '03 C230's but I think it unlikely.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by mattandhelen
MB quality is not what it should be as we all know but this surprised me. Driving my '03 C230 36k miles coupe and moved to close the sunroof. Imagine my surprise and disgust as grinding noises and pieces of plastic started flying. Having what was described by the dealer when I bought the car new as the best most ironclad front to back warranty out there, I got the MB extended 100k warranty figuring I'd keep the car forever which I did with 2BMW's previously well over 100k miles. But I digress. So drove to my local dealer. They fixed the car perfectly. Then they asked for $280.

Apparently both sunroof deflector arms had failed. Part# 203-780-01(and 02)-75. When I inquired as to the warranty, they replied that although the sunroof motor was covered, no sunroof parts otherwise were. As I am sure this sort of frustration has been hashed over many times on this board, I won't go into it any further.

But suffice it to say that MB considers failure of both sunroof deflector arms at 36,000 miles to be acceptable quality or perhaps a routine wear item expected after such a long period of service.

Gave the MB 800 number a call. Is there any other way to let the company and the government know so that proper tracking for quality can occur? I suppose it is possible I had the 2 worst arms in the batch of '03 C230's but I think it unlikely.
That's 100K mile warranty is not worth it, IMO. It only covers what MB would consider "major" malfunctions (i.e. engine, transmission, etc...). Little things like this are not covered and my parents found out the hard way with their w210! Their radiator went bad and it wasn't covered under 100K mile warranty. You'd think it would be considered a "major" warranty fix, but to their surprise, it wasn't.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
i had my sun deflector arms replaced twice on my 03 c230 coupe... and i only have 35k. it was covered by the warranty both times and i didnt have to pay a dime. im very surprised they charged you anything. i still have my receipt and dont know what good it will do you... but it is proof that they did it under warranty.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 PM

2003 C320 Sports Coupe
Vadim:
Thanks for the reply. What did the dealer do to repair the problem? Have you had any other, related panorama roof problems since then?
Old 10-12-2006, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
As far as I know, they replaced the rails. No mechanical problems since. However, they did mess up the fabric headliner which now bears greasy fingerprints. Anyone know of a good way to clean it?

For the reference, the work was done at ASC of Arlington, VA.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CL203 Coupe Pano-roof Maintenance - MB lube Grease Part #s, gears, & fixes