C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DEPO Headlights Thread - everything you ever wanted to know about DEPO

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
merc
Originally Posted by WhatTheHulk
I just recently installed them on my car. The install was not too hard. It took about 30 minutes to remove the bumper thanks to a helpful website I got off this forum.

The quality of the headlamps is horrible. The driver side headlight did not adjust up or down, and now it will not adjust left or right. To fix this, I decided to put the headlights in the oven and took them apart. I decided also to attempt to do the color mod to them since I have the headlamp all taken apart already. Unfortunately the cover/shield over the projector seemed to be glued to the lens/projector assembly. After an hour of trying to remove this shield, I decided to throw in the towel and put the headlamp back together.

I should also give these headlights more credit. I read some of the forum talk after I bought them. Just from reading the forums I thought that the light output and distribution was going to be so horrible that I need* to do a retrofit of some kind. To be honest, the output/distribution is good. The light extends far wider than the stock lights. I did notice though that there are a little hot-spots on the road. Directly in front of the car it looks like I am using two flashlights as headlights. But on a really dark road, if you look to the side you seed a clean line and it is very well lit.

As far as the clean line that we all want and envy goes, it is pretty sharp. I do not have xenon’s, but with my blue halogen bulbs the projection looks very clean. There is a little bit of color diffraction from these headlights. Where the kink is you can expect to see the entire color spectrum (red-orange-yellow-green-blue-violet), with an emphasis on purple and violet. But on the sides of the kink, there is very little blue and purple, and just yellow-red.

In conclusion, the DEPO (bi-xenon) headlamps provide what I think is better light output than stock and also provides you with the satisfaction of having that clean cut off line as well as a little blue/purple diffraction. Other members of the forum expect the light output comparable to that of the bi-xenon TL's or even stock. You must understand that lots of research and $$$$ goes into developing the OEM bi-xenon projectors (hence why you pay so much for them). If you want lights like the TL's, don't be cheap and buy headlamps that are a fraction of the cost and then ***** and complain about how they are not as good as the TL's. Just get the TL's or OEM xenons in the first place. I believe the DEPO's are the best bang for the buck.
Thanks for taking the time to write up the review, WhatTheHulk. Welcome to the forums.

I think however that this is my final indication that DEPOs are not worth the money and hassle when OEM's function is better and more versitle, even if it is double the price.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML55 AMG
Originally Posted by MHPHOCKEY
So you still defend them even though you had to cook them next to your birthday cake?
Lol.

I bought a pair of DEPO projectors with ballasts. I'm lucky enough to have a mechanic who did his training with Mercedes so he knows his stuff and doesn't charge as much as s/dealerships.
I had him install them on my car. No need to set xenon=present.
He said the beam was very good with one slight problem.... they are for a left hand drive vehicle and I'm in New Zealand So I had to get him to put the OG ones back on.
I don't know too much about cars but in my opinion DEPO's are good, though I'm sure they are not of the same standard as OEM Bix.

Last edited by Fai+H777; 02-24-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
I've seen these lights. They stink. Also, I don't get this chatter about comparing them to a TL? A Honda TL? They aren't anything to write home about.

Real MB OEM BIX lights are a thousand times better.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
i wonder if he drives acura or mercedes??
Old 02-24-2007, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Outland
I've seen these lights. They stink. Also, I don't get this chatter about comparing them to a TL? A Honda TL? They aren't anything to write home about.

Real MB OEM BIX lights are a thousand times better.
Acura TL.

its rated to have one of the best projectors out of all cars.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
Originally Posted by rodngun762
Thanks for taking the time to write up the review, WhatTheHulk. Welcome to the forums.

I think however that this is my final indication that DEPOs are not worth the money and hassle when OEM's function is better and more versitle, even if it is double the price.
I wish it was double the price, try triple or more.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
if you do your research, the Acura TL projector/HID is one of the best out, a lot of ppl retro fit that projector into their lights.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:17 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
I bought a set of depo headlights for my '00 Civic way back then and they are terrible in quality and craftsmanship. They stink so bad that I opened it up and swap the projectors with some HID bi-xenon projectors from an Audi A6. Awesome light output compared to the depo projectors.

The TL's projectors are considered the best bi-xenon on the market by many HID gurus from the www.hidplanet.com. Mercedes and BMW, which use Bosch, are years behind their Japanese counterparts.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Okay, so let me get this straight, people have retro fitted BI-Xenons in headlamps? I mean, litteraly functioning bi-xenons with the flap or just projectors?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
i've purchased Depos for W210, opened it up with oven, ripped out he crummy
Depo projector, fitted it with E55 bixenon projector, and wired up with Hella
ballasts.....5x. In my opinion, this is the only viable method of attaining quality
HID lighting outside of OEM headlamp. Kits need to, but are are not calibrated
for the headlight they are being fitted into. As a result, nearly all display
excess glare.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by raymond g-
i've purchased Depos for W210, opened it up with oven, ripped out he crummy
Depo projector, fitted it with E55 bixenon projector, and wired up with Hella
ballasts.....5x. In my opinion, this is the only viable method of attaining quality
HID lighting outside of OEM headlamp. Kits need to, but are are not calibrated
for the headlight they are being fitted into. As a result, nearly all display
excess glare.
raymond, I've seen what you did with the E class depos, but is the bi-x actually functional w/ the shutter or no? I'm just curious how that works.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Okay, so let me get this straight, people have retro fitted BI-Xenons in headlamps? I mean, litteraly functioning bi-xenons with the flap or just projectors?
Yep, many people have actually retrofitted real HID projectors into their OE headlights or aftermarket headlights and make it work...even the bi-xenon mechanism. I happen to be one of them. Here's just a shot of a retrofitted Bosch bixenon projector into an Acura Legend JDM headlight (and yes the bixenon flaps work flawlessly):

pic0047.jpg?t=1172417054

I believe this is the only way to go if you really want HID headlights without resorting to buying the factory headlights. HID kits and depo projectors create too much glare.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:08 AM

yes some people actually have working bi-Xenons on their cars.

very few though cause wiring is a *****
Old 02-25-2007, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
hey, you guys make it sound like voodoo magic or something. with the case of
the E series (in my case 97-02), it was so easy, i was stunned. here's why:

- the physical dimensions of the Depo projector for the W210 is 99% that of the
E55 bixenon projector

- you pop the Depo headlight shell into oven for 10 mins to soften adhesive of
front lens. remove lens

- once the Depo proj is yanked out, the E55 drops in with about 10 mins of
Dremel work, and a few pennies of lock washers

- replace all the other removed parts and put back into oven, then reinstall
outer lens.

- wire bixenon twin leads to the high beam bulb leads: when high beam is
activated, the bixenon shutter also activates, opening shutter to reveal full beam

- attach Hella ballast to headlight and splice into relay, fuse or car's main
wiring harness (your option, for safety). with W210s, supplemental wiring
harness isn't really needed.

- draw bead of RTV silicone around seam of lens for water proofing

If you pick the right ballast (denso, Hella, Matsu****a, or other OEM) it is
possible that you dont even need to have dealer version code the car for
HID. if needed, it's a quick/simple visit to dealer. Whole job takes about 36
hrs, including drying time. no special tools but Dremel and DVOM. cost avgs
$350 for Depo, E55s are $150, ballasts are $200, D2Ss are $90, plus silicone.

I have posted before on this forum: if someone has a crashed 203 projector
headlight they dont need, i'm happy to evaluate to see how easy this conver-
sion would be for your model. I'd measure the mounts and physical dimensions
of the 203 projector and compare with other OEM HID projectors on the market.

The result is HID which is OEM quality, sans autolevel and headlight washer.
The beam cutoff is sharp - no glare, since it's a factory projector. Am about
to begin another retrofit but will be using Audi RS6 bixenon projector.

The W210 retrofit is probably the easiest of all cars because we were lucky
enough to have access to a (Depo) headlight whose dimensions are near
perfect for dropping in an E55 or RS6...both being bixenons.

here's kind of a before/after look

some of you may have seen board member Zam2000's beam before. he's the
Yoda of HID retrofits. his ride is 97 E320

Last edited by raymond g-; 02-25-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

That's awesome. I give much props for that!
Old 02-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 C230 SS
Okay, let's get this straight just for the record:

DEPO's are projector lights not Bi-Xenon.

Bi-Xenon = Projector lens headlights which have a sheild that changes the angle of the light (from low to high beam), allowing for more effective lighting when switich from low to high beam. The high beam in OEM MB Bi-xenon works in conjunction with a Halogen high beam, thus being an ideal setup for areas that are not well lit.

Xenon = HID lighting

HID = High Intensity Discharge (Uses combination of Xenon gas w/ spark for light illumination

The DEPO lights may be alright and may work for people w/o problems, but they will never have the effectiveness of OEM bi-xenon lights. These may look similar to the bi-xenon lights, but I highly doubt that they have the bi-xenon functionality.

I am not a dolt. Any reasonable person knows that the DEPO projectors that I am talking about are not bi-xenon, simply a single low-beam halogen projector. Around the forums, DEPO's are refered to as bi-xenon because they look the same as the OEM Bi-Xenon headlamps.

Last edited by WhatTheHulk; 02-26-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 C230 SS
Originally Posted by MHPHOCKEY
So you still defend them even though you had to cook them next to your birthday cake?
hahaha
I am just saying that they are not as bad as people portray them to be.

Last edited by WhatTheHulk; 02-26-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 C230 SS
Originally Posted by yeuchau
i wonder if he drives acura or mercedes??

the Acura TL's are the most popular retro-fit

ps- '03 C230
'02 WRX (modified)
'03 530i
Old 02-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 C230 SS
Headlight AIMing fix!

I discovered this weekend that the aiming problem can be fixed via removing the rear cover and sticking your hand inside to hold the screw to make sure that it is turning. No bumper removal needed! woohoo!

ps- As soon as I get my camera back from the GF i'll post some pics so you guys (and future DEPO buyers) can know what to expect.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by WhatTheHulk
I am not a dolt. Any reasonable person knows that the DEPO projectors that I am talking about are not bi-xenon, simply a single low-beam halogen projector. Around the forums, DEPO's are refered to as bi-xenon because they look the same as the OEM Bi-Xenon headlamps.
I was just going based on how you posted. I can't assume one way or another that you know what the difference is. I can almost guarantee that there are a lot of people on here who don't know what the difference is, so for a "newbie" that may come on board and see your post, they may automatically think, "oh cool. I can get those bi-xenon aftermarket headlights and it's the same thing as stock..." when in fact, the are not.

So, it wasn't necessarily aiming at "insulting" you, just being informative for those that don't know the difference.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:12 AM

Thanks for the review, whathehulk.....Those headlights look amazing on your car btw......Thinking of any other exterior mods? I heard you mention CL tail lights if im not mistaken?
Make sure you fix the WRX soon, i want to make a video of that thing, and want to see what it runs at LACR.....
Old 03-01-2007, 10:26 AM

w211 e500
Originally Posted by Saprissa
DEPOs SUCK !

LMAO
Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 C230 SS
Pics!!!

The only pics that showed up good were the ones in front of my garage.

DEPO Headlights Thread - everything you ever wanted to know about DEPO-img_2601.jpg
Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Almost a Member!

'03 C230 SS
the light output on my depo's

DEPO Headlights Thread - everything you ever wanted to know about DEPO-img_2601.jpg
DEPO Headlights Thread - everything you ever wanted to know about DEPO-img_2602.jpg
Old 03-21-2007, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Do you have halogens or Xenons?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: DEPO Headlights Thread - everything you ever wanted to know about DEPO