C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Weird Sound coming from rear drivers side wheel/suspension area!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by drexappeal
sounds like da problem I was havng wid my sawybars ealry on. I just tightened them up where they connect to the endlinks and the sound went away. Have them also check the rear endlinks that connect to the swaybar. Those may be bad also, even on stock swaybars. Also, the swaybar bushings may need to be lubed, which is stansard maintenance anyway.
thanks drex,

I'll let my SA know, all I know is that the rear bushings were changed my last visit, which was like....about 2000 miles ago
Old 07-29-2007, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 c320
found this on the w203 Technical Service bullietins thread :

P-32_25-13 JAN 03 Suspension - Rumbling Noise From Rear Axle Area
P-32_20-10 APR 02 Suspension - Rear Axle Noise
P-33_10-11 APR 04 Suspension - Rumbling Noise Driving Over Rough Roads

Thats for 2003 c320 sedan, but i dont know if that is the problem♠
Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by kcheng86
found this on the w203 Technical Service bullietins thread :

P-32_25-13 JAN 03 Suspension - Rumbling Noise From Rear Axle Area
P-32_20-10 APR 02 Suspension - Rear Axle Noise
P-33_10-11 APR 04 Suspension - Rumbling Noise Driving Over Rough Roads

Thats for 2003 c320 sedan, but i dont know if that is the problem♠
thats exactly whats going on... my rear is super bumpy!~
Old 07-29-2007, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
eemmmm....

that's the 3 TSB's
I posted above
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
ARGH, this noise is still there...

this comes even on sharp turns... I think it might be the sway bar bushings being old. or the springs are too soft? darn.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by advans
ARGH, this noise is still there...

this comes even on sharp turns... I think it might be the sway bar bushings being old. or the springs are too soft? darn.
Change out the whole suspension... badass coilovers and sways should solve the problem. Even if it doesn't, your car will at least look and handle better!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes
I had a clunk in the rear of my car, turned out to be a loose bolt on the bottom of the shock absorber.

Currently have a clunk in the front of my car, lower control arm ball joint, being fixed this weekend.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by mckay
I had a clunk in the rear of my car, turned out to be a loose bolt on the bottom of the shock absorber.

Currently have a clunk in the front of my car, lower control arm ball joint, being fixed this weekend.
hmm, loose bolt on bottom of shock absorber...gonna get that tightened this weekend
Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 M-B C240
i have a knocking sound coming from my front (assuming driver's side) when ever i turn and accelerate.....and it seems as if the wheels/steering locks up for a very short time when i am straightening out the steering wheel ....can it be related to any of the things you guys mentioned before......i was always wondering what that sound was and why it happened...THX N ADV.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I finally got a chance to raise the car up today (on a lift that is) and tighetned every bolt possibly (on the rear drivers side), also I noticed that the side of the shock is "rusting" meaning that the shock is rubbing against the plastic part when the shock is supposedlt "compressed", gonna go out for a drive a little later tonight, and see if that sound is still there. if yes. blake, get happy i'm gonna getting c/os
Old 10-13-2007, 12:45 AM

arctic white / 07 w203 ss
i just lowered my car on kw v1's the other day and i have the exact same problem in the same area... bump for a solution because i already double checked all of my bolts
Old 10-13-2007, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL203, W211
Originally Posted by /|\/|\M-B
i have a knocking sound coming from my front (assuming driver's side) when ever i turn and accelerate.....and it seems as if the wheels/steering locks up for a very short time when i am straightening out the steering wheel ....can it be related to any of the things you guys mentioned before......i was always wondering what that sound was and why it happened...THX N ADV.
Strange, I think I know what you mean.
When I stear right and accelerate, theres a clicking noise coming from the left wheel, soon as i straighten the steering the noise is gone. But whenever I turn right, the noise is there. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all, other times its horribly loud...

I got it up on the ramp, and took my pry-bar to all the rubber bush's and joints and worked them to check for any play. I found play in the left hand droplink from the anti-roll bar (i think you guys call this the control link or con rod?) anyway, I ordered the pair because I thought if i'm going to do one side I may aswell get the other done whilst I have the bar off...

Got it all done and set off on a test drive, car felt nicer on the road and the slight knocking I could hear from the rear of the vehicle had gone. But the noise when steering to the right is still there.
I've checked everything around that side of the car and can't see any rash's or marks where anything could be rubbing, I even replaced my rotors and pads a month ago because I thought it could be the lip on them.

anyone else?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by plusONErandy
i just lowered my car on kw v1's the other day and i have the exact same problem in the same area... bump for a solution because i already double checked all of my bolts
randy? you should keep an eye on your shocks, it might be that the shocks are hitting something (like mine) and you will either see rust or the peeling of the paint on ur shocks.

After the long drive last night, I notice that the car doesnt "jump" as much, and the ride is not as bumpy, and the sound was very minimal, there WAS still a sound, but very soft as compared to what I had before, I DEF. need to replace the shocks as it is already rusting.

Originally Posted by magnus203
Strange, I think I know what you mean.
When I stear right and accelerate, theres a clicking noise coming from the left wheel, soon as i straighten the steering the noise is gone. But whenever I turn right, the noise is there. Sometimes it doesn't do it at all, other times its horribly loud...

I got it up on the ramp, and took my pry-bar to all the rubber bush's and joints and worked them to check for any play. I found play in the left hand droplink from the anti-roll bar (i think you guys call this the control link or con rod?) anyway, I ordered the pair because I thought if i'm going to do one side I may aswell get the other done whilst I have the bar off...

Got it all done and set off on a test drive, car felt nicer on the road and the slight knocking I could hear from the rear of the vehicle had gone. But the noise when steering to the right is still there.
I've checked everything around that side of the car and can't see any rash's or marks where anything could be rubbing, I even replaced my rotors and pads a month ago because I thought it could be the lip on them.

anyone else?
well, first of all, what kind of "clicking" are you hearing? what degree of loudness, (1-10) lets say, the sound of our honk is a 10 (loudest) and silent is 1. (btw mine is abt a 6 or 7, the type of knocking is like "clock clock"

if you hear like a click click click. from the rear wheels, it is very possible that you need to replace your wheel bearings. (problem and soultion from waveykat)
Old 10-13-2007, 04:48 PM

02 C230 Coupe
hmmm this is very interesting!

I have a very slight kind of a "click click click" type noise from my right front wheel. I only notice it while going straight at ANY speed. The faster I go the faster the "clicks" get...but to put the sound level to scale it would probably be a 3 to 5 range...kinda hard to tell...I think the faster I go it gets a slight bit louder...so from what you just said advans...you think it might be the wheel bearing??

EDIT: scratch that...I think it's noticable while turning too...

Last edited by EnkeiDynamics; 10-13-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 ///AMG, 535xi
its best to try to record it.

heres a small vid/sound of how mine sounds... (sound kicks in at 6sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HED7WKDhAxM
Old 10-14-2007, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by advans
its best to try to record it.

heres a small vid/sound of how mine sounds... (sound kicks in at 6sec)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HED7WKDhAxM
wtf... sounded like your girl slapped you! I know one way to take care of that.