C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

C350 DIY Oil Change Pictures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by CharlesCarino
so i changed the oil on 2 both of my 320's....

purchased the extractor on amazon... and the filter tool cap from autozone

for my C.... the h-n-r filter cost me like 18 bucks on ebay. i put 10w30 high mileage mobile-1 and it cost me approx $50 bucks with tax ($25/5 quart)

the c used about 1.5 bottles..... so all in all for just the oil and filter..

$23 (1 bottle)
$12.5 (1/2 bottle)
$18 (filter)
------------
$53.5

occasionally i get my oil changed at one of the local dealers for 19 bucks ( regularly 59.99). I also just received a coupon from another local dealer for 39. bucks (regularly 89.99).

so in reality im only saving approx 7-8 bucks if i take it to the first dealer and paying full price (assuming that the SA doesnt talk me into fixing something that may not need fixing.)

this may sound awful..... but my time is worth more than saving the 7-8 bucks. it was nice to actually do it myself but the hassle of purchasing the oil, pouring the old oil back in the bottle, taking the old oil back to auto shop for recycling, ordering the filter, then cleaning up after making a mess isnt really worth the 7-8 bucks.

The tIme i spent doing it myself... including going to the store twice.... and actually changing the oil took me approx 1 hour. At the dealer the oil change takes about 1/2 an hour. And during this time i can read something or catch up on some much needed ZZZ's in the nice waiting area.

Regardless of what i typed above.... i will probably change my own oil in between scheduled visits, 5000 miles without changing the filter....

This DIY is great.... and it would be really worth it for you MB owners that have dealers that charge an arm and a leg to change your oil. It is very easy to do. Im moving to the detroit area in june and i hope to find a dealer up there that charges 59 bucks or so...... if not ill most likely be doing the oil changes myself... an hour of my time is definately worth saving 30-40 bucks vs 7-8..

-carino
Are those prices for MB approved oil??

BTW, I don't think Mobil1 10w-30 is a MB 229.3 approved oil either.

Last edited by e1000; 02-22-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by KIRA
what C350 engine call?

M### ??
M272 and the 7 speed transmission is 722.9
Old 04-29-2009, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Where do you guys usually buy those oils (Mobil1 0-40W) at ??? dealer? Autozone? any links?? and what about the oil filters ?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 04-29-2009, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Where do you guys usually buy those oils (Mobil1 0-40W) at ??? dealer? Autozone? any links?? and what about the oil filters ?

Thanks,

Andy
Autozone, Pepboys as for the oli filter you can get OEM from benz dealer or you can get K&N MANN filter. Make sure it says MANN and it's made in germany. Fram and other ones have them but they are paper. There are incidents where the paper deteriorates and brakes apart.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Thanks jk06.

Andy
Old 04-29-2009, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
No problem
Old 06-16-2009, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
I just changed my oil and was it easy and hard at the same time.

The procedure was very easy but the oil cap wrench was the hardest part. I got it from a local auto store and it was wrong (too big). Then I got the correct size but I got 74mm 15 which means 74mm and 15 fins but mine has 14 fins. Then I got the 74mm 14 fins and it was plastic crap and it kept slipping. Then I called my dad over who is by the way twice my size (I am 130 - 5-8) and he used a regular wrench and took off the cap. I couldnt take it off with regular wrench no room to give force.

The cap is sooo stupid. It has an arrow pointing left which I thought you untwist it clockwise (almost everything is counter clockwise). Then I figures out it is counterclockwise and the arrow didnt mean anything. Why would they put and arrow I mean everyone knows which way to twist to get the cap off and the only time there should be an arrow is when it is opposite direction. Anyway job done. Now I need to get air filters and replace those.

Authentic Mercedes Oil filter (getmercedesparts.com) shipping and tax rounded up to 24.00

Oil extractor 10 Q - 80.00 (ebay)

Oil Mobile 1 0-40 Full Senthetic 7 bucks a quart. I got 9 close to 70.00 (rounded)

I was able to get out almost 8.0 Q.

Was pumping for 2 hours loool

Then I resetted the service interval. Go to Serve section (Service A or Service B)

Hold the reset button, you will get prompt that if you want to reset the interval press and hold reset for 3 seconds.

Then you will get fresh 13,000 miles.

Thank you to OP for the info and our members.

Hopefully you guys will learn from my mistake.

Also dont pump the Oil when its too hot. You are building suction in the barrel and when it hot it bends in. Thats what happened to me. Then you have to wait a while for it to pop back so you can get correct measurments.

Good Luck.

Air filter you are up next.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300
Ok, I'm 64 and am still crawling under my 56 Nomad to change my oil. I also still run 5 miles a day and hit the gym a few tiems a week just like Ive done sine my high school daze.

Now let me get to the issue of an oil change, or to be more specific, how the h_ _ _ to find the oil drain plug on a 2009 MB C300.

My daughter, unlike me, prefers foreign, specifically a 2009 MB C300.

When I proceeded to change her oil this morning, after noticing I had to remove several plastic cover from under her vehicle, then accomplishing that task, I could not find the darn (other words were used) OIL DRAIN PLUG.

Anyone know where it is? Did the Krauts change what it looks like?

Being a Polack, I've heard I may not be as sharp as one of those Ginzu steak knifes that used to be advertised on TV many moons ago, but come on, where did MB hide the drain plug?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:57 AM

2008 c350
Talking Filter 2008 c350

I recently changed the oil on my wife''s car. After doing some research I selected a purepower permanent oil filter. By permanent I mean that like a K & N air filter it is designed to be cleaned and re-used. Its about $ 200. but worth it. This filter actually filters the oil. As many of you know oil just drips down the sides of the oil filter medium but does not go through it. Thats why oil filters operate in By-pass mode because the oil has nowhere to go except around the filter medium. This filter also has magnets that trap metal particles and because it actually filters the oil you can extend oil drain intervals. I also switched to Chevron Delo 400 LE 10-30 instead of Mobil 1.
the Delo 400 has very good anti wear and acid handling capabilities. Not having an oil extractor was a pain as I had to do it the old school way under the car.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:04 AM

2008 c350
Originally Posted by surfbeat
Ok, I'm 64 and am still crawling under my 56 Nomad to change my oil. I also still run 5 miles a day and hit the gym a few tiems a week just like Ive done sine my high school daze.

Now let me get to the issue of an oil change, or to be more specific, how the h_ _ _ to find the oil drain plug on a 2009 MB C300.

My daughter, unlike me, prefers foreign, specifically a 2009 MB C300.

When I proceeded to change her oil this morning, after noticing I had to remove several plastic cover from under her vehicle, then accomplishing that task, I could not find the darn (other words were used) OIL DRAIN PLUG.

Anyone know where it is? Did the Krauts change what it looks like?

Being a Polack, I've heard I may not be as sharp as one of those Ginzu steak knifes that used to be advertised on TV many moons ago, but come on, where did MB hide the drain plug?
I had to remove the bottom covers and after doing so was able to locate the oil drain plug at the end of the oil pan.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:13 AM

2008 c350
DIY

[quote=e1000;3368672]Are those prices for MB approved oil??

BTW, I don't think Mobil1 10w-30 is a MB 229.3 approved oil either.[/q

Doing the oil change myself assures me that the oil drain plug will not be cross threaded, or over/under tightened and I know there will not be any leaks.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 PM

2009 C300
DIY

Does anyone know what size oil filter wrench to use for a 08 C300? any help please.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:04 PM

2008 c350
Oil Filter Cap size

Originally Posted by Luudog55
Does anyone know what size oil filter wrench to use for a 08 C300? any help please.
I do not know the size of the oil filter cap but you can use an adjustable type and it would be on the small end of the range. To avoid scratching the cap place a small cloth on the cap before putting the adjustable wrench on it.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:12 AM

2003 C320 Sport Sedan
Don't ever buy a Fram filter for anything. I changed the oil in my wife's mini van a couple of years ago then went into town to get something. On the way back the valves started tapping, it was getting worse as I made my way back.

I get home and started checking everything out. There was oil in the sump and I didn't see any leaks anywhere. Eventually I made my way to the filter to take a look inside. There was a giant ball of paper in the middle with some of it sticking out.

I changed the filter and started the van (after replacing the oil again). The tapping was still there. The paper was sucked up into the engine and was all over the place. I took off one of the valve covers and little pieces of paper were all over the place!

I called Fram and they asked me to send them the filter so they could see what the problem was. They also stated that if it was a defective filter then they would pay for the repair. Two weeks later we recieved a letter in the mail stating that the engine must have been producing too much pressure and that it was not the filters or Frams fault.

I eventually got around to rebuilding the engine to get out all of the paper, it was everywhere. The oil pump was fine and was making the right amount of pressure once all of the paper was out. It has been running fine ever since with the original parts.

I usually only use Purolator Pure One filters now in it. Hopefully they make one for my C320.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by ChrisRam
Don't ever buy a Fram filter for anything. I changed the oil in my wife's mini van a couple of years ago then went into town to get something. On the way back the valves started tapping, it was getting worse as I made my way back.

I get home and started checking everything out. There was oil in the sump and I didn't see any leaks anywhere. Eventually I made my way to the filter to take a look inside. There was a giant ball of paper in the middle with some of it sticking out.

I changed the filter and started the van (after replacing the oil again). The tapping was still there. The paper was sucked up into the engine and was all over the place. I took off one of the valve covers and little pieces of paper were all over the place!

I called Fram and they asked me to send them the filter so they could see what the problem was. They also stated that if it was a defective filter then they would pay for the repair. Two weeks later we recieved a letter in the mail stating that the engine must have been producing too much pressure and that it was not the filters or Frams fault.

I eventually got around to rebuilding the engine to get out all of the paper, it was everywhere. The oil pump was fine and was making the right amount of pressure once all of the paper was out. It has been running fine ever since with the original parts.

I usually only use Purolator Pure One filters now in it. Hopefully they make one for my C320.
don't buy a Purolator paper crap . buy the proper fleece filter so that you can go the 10k service intervals without problems.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by jclassboat
I do not know the size of the oil filter cap but you can use an adjustable type and it would be on the small end of the range. To avoid scratching the cap place a small cloth on the cap before putting the adjustable wrench on it.
+1

You know how many times I went back a forth to get a wrench. I got the plastic one then the metal one. The fit is great but when you apply pressure the wrench comes off. Finally I got fed up and used a regular wrench.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:06 PM

2008 c350
Originally Posted by Karo
+1

You know how many times I went back a forth to get a wrench. I got the plastic one then the metal one. The fit is great but when you apply pressure the wrench comes off. Finally I got fed up and used a regular wrench.
I share your pain. As it is, if you do not have the special oil extractor you have to go under the car, like I did, and remove 2 underside plastic pans just to get to the drain plug. This is just my opinion but the Mobil 1 oil recommendation is not because Mobil 1 is so great but that Mobil supplies MB with it for FREE. Unless you are in extreme cold a good 10-30 is fine.
To insure my oil is actually filtered I installed a PurePower Oil Filter. It is designed to be cleaned and re-installed like a K & N air type filter. Its expensive but I will never have to by another Oil filter. There is one person, from Down Under, that is on this forum and he is very knowledgeable about Lubrication although we have some different views. He is well worth referring to.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:53 PM

2003 C320 Sport Sedan
Drain Plug Crush Washer Size?

Changed oil, but didn't replace original crush washer. Car is leaking oil. What size copper crush washer do I need for 03 C320?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by Speedo
Changed oil, but didn't replace original crush washer. Car is leaking oil. What size copper crush washer do I need for 03 C320?

Thanks
I and others have found that once you remove the drain plug, just changing the washer is not enough to keep it from leaking. You have to change the drain plug AND washer AND torque to spec with torque wrench to get it leak free. That is why you should extract from top and not the traditional dropping of the drain plug to drain.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by Speedo

Thanks
just call up dealer it is a really cheap part not even worth ordering online. IMO GL
Old 01-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by jclassboat
I share your pain. As it is, if you do not have the special oil extractor you have to go under the car, like I did, and remove 2 underside plastic pans just to get to the drain plug. This is just my opinion but the Mobil 1 oil recommendation is not because Mobil 1 is so great but that Mobil supplies MB with it for FREE. Unless you are in extreme cold a good 10-30 is fine.
To insure my oil is actually filtered I installed a PurePower Oil Filter. It is designed to be cleaned and re-installed like a K & N air type filter. Its expensive but I will never have to by another Oil filter. There is one person, from Down Under, that is on this forum and he is very knowledgeable about Lubrication although we have some different views. He is well worth referring to.
You should be using a proper 229.5 spec oil and an approved fleece filter. Seriously.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:00 PM

2003 C320 Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by samaritrey
just call up dealer it is a really cheap part not even worth ordering online. IMO GL
Originally Posted by johnand
I and others have found that once you remove the drain plug, just changing the washer is not enough to keep it from leaking. You have to change the drain plug AND washer AND torque to spec with torque wrench to get it leak free. That is why you should extract from top and not the traditional dropping of the drain plug to drain.
Thanks guys.

Yea, called dealer and got no answer on size, just that they had in stock. Dealer is too far away for a washer, just needed size to pick up at corner parts store.

Oh well, I just tightened the drain bolt some more and leak is gone. I'll extract via pump from now on.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 AM

C280
im planning on changing the oil on 06 c280, any idea of the size cup wrench i need? i tried using this 3 prong adjustable wrench it didnt work it just slipped..
Old 07-31-2010, 02:05 PM

2008 C300
Sorry guys Im a fairly new mercedes c300 owner... I understand this write-up is for a c350, Is this the same for my 2008 C300, as in dipstick, oil filter location??? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by Primo C300
Sorry guys Im a fairly new mercedes c300 owner... I understand this write-up is for a c350, Is this the same for my 2008 C300, as in dipstick, oil filter location??? Thanks.
yes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: C350 DIY Oil Change Pictures