C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Kleemann vs Kleemann

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-26-2002, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K
Unhappy Kleemann vs Kleemann

I see evosports has the Kleemann ring pulley for the C230K coupe for USD599. Does anyone know if this will fit on the C200K?

Another thing, I contacted Kleemann DK about the K20 boost kit (ring pulley for C200K) and they quoted me EUR 1.425,00 ex. Vat, why is the price 2 and a half times more considering both are Kleemann ring pulleys???

I've attached a photo of the Kleemann K20 boost kit. Anyone who has ordered the K23 Power Upgrade Kit (klm-203uk2) Includes steel ring-type pulley from EVOSPORTS please tell me whats included in the kit...are they the same?
Old 10-26-2002, 07:17 AM

01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
Kleemann ring pulley for C230K WILL FIT your C200K as I have one installed in my car (C200K)

The Kleemann package I received was identical with the picture you've posted.

I bought my Kleemann ring pulley for US$599 + shipping. The package was shipped from Kleemann USA.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Does it fit C180?? Cos C180 share the same engine with C200K without the supercharger
Old 10-26-2002, 07:30 AM

C200K
Originally posted by bajaiman

I bought my Kleemann ring pulley for US$599 + shipping. The package was shipped from Kleemann USA.

Great!!! Will order one soon Thanks bajaiman
Old 10-26-2002, 07:33 AM

C200K
bajaiman's CL grille

where did you get your CL grille? the only one I've seen is Lorinser's and that requires a whole new bonnet (I think, I was at Car Shine earlier this year)...
Old 10-26-2002, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by W0n6_3d4n
Does it fit C180?? Cos C180 share the same engine with C200K without the supercharger
Uhmmm....I'm not sure if they will fit, but even if they fit I don't see the benefit of installing one in C180 as it is not a supercharged engine. The reason in installing the ring pulley is to make the supercharger to spin faster at the same rpm hence more power will be produced.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:43 AM

Re: bajaiman's CL grille

Originally posted by 3pointedSTAR
where did you get your CL grille? the only one I've seen is Lorinser's and that requires a whole new bonnet (I think, I was at Car Shine earlier this year)...
I got mine from ebay, just search for w203, you might find 1 being auctioned. Good luck
Old 10-26-2002, 12:43 PM

This mite sound stupid., but how is the ring fitted over the stock pulley? Like how does it stay secured?

And is it REALLLY neccesary to install that alternator pulley if u get there kit?

Im imagining installing their kit is easier than replacing the pulley?

Any insight is appreciated.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by x15jq
This mite sound stupid., but how is the ring fitted over the stock pulley? Like how does it stay secured?

And is it REALLLY neccesary to install that alternator pulley if u get there kit?

Im imagining installing their kit is easier than replacing the pulley?

Any insight is appreciated.

If you want one contact MagnaSLK, it got loose while he was driving it and got messed up so Kleemann gave him a brand new pulley ring but he decided to sell it instead of putting it back on (good move), so he has it for sale if anyone is interested, don't think he's had any takers in the last few months.

The ring fits over the pulley and is held by a set screws that press into the grooves of the factory pulley to hold it in place. Don't really know if it's easier to put in as the factory pulley comes off with one bolt in the center, the crank has to be spun around to get at all the set screws. I think it's an hour either way.

Personaly with the SC failures and installation problems that people experienced with this ring I would be hesitant. Get the Kleemann alloy pulley if you are set on Kleemann, much better setup.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:10 PM

C230 K
Personaly with the SC failures and installation problems that people experienced with this ring I would be hesitant. Get the Kleemann alloy pulley if you are set on Kleemann, much better setup. [/B][/QUOTE]

Do you know who had the SC failing after insatlling the Kleemann alloy pulley?

Thanks
Old 10-26-2002, 02:19 PM

If im going to get the alloy pulley, im definately getting an asp. The only reason I would get a kleenman is if i was gunna get a ring kit.

Im just concerned about removing the belts and such, i have engine experience, but I was just curious if when you remove the ring kit, if it leaves marks on the pulley? I dont see how it can stick to a pulley without falling off.
Old 10-26-2002, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by totita
Do you know who had the SC failing after insatlling the Kleemann alloy pulley?

Thanks
Some people with these failures are concerned that MB might be watching so I sent you the info via PM.

X15jq, You have to remove the belt not matter what, you have to remove the airbox no matter what, the only differrence is that instead of removing the pulley bolt and removing the pulley you slip the ring over the factory pulley and then tighten the set screws but you have to tighten all of them evenly and that's not easy unless you rotate the crank so to rotate the crank you have to use a breaker bar on the crank pulley to rotate it. I don't see how one is easier than the other. Also the set screws will mar the factory pulley. Replacing the entire pulley gives you a factory pulley to fall back to. Also regardless of brand, why buy a pulley ring that gives you 8 hp less than an alloy ring?
Old 10-26-2002, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Also regardless of brand, why buy a pulley ring that gives you 8 hp less than an alloy ring?
Vibration damper.

Oh, no. I've just opened Pandora's Box, again.:p
Old 10-26-2002, 02:54 PM

Buellwinkle, I appreciate all your help.

My airbox is off now anyways, I still have my intake in.

I will order an ASP pulley, but how can I be sure I get the right belt?

Ive heard many people saying the grooves are too small on certain ones.

I just want to make sure I do it right the first time, Im sure it isnt that hard, i just dont wanna screw the car up!

P.S what did u torque the bolt to on your pulley?
Old 10-26-2002, 03:05 PM

2002 c230k
Some people with these failures are concerned that MB might be watching so I sent you the info via PM.

X15jq, You have to remove the belt not matter what, you have to remove the airbox no matter what, the only differrence is that instead of removing the pulley bolt and removing the pulley you slip the ring over the factory pulley and then tighten the set screws but you have to tighten all of them evenly and that's not easy unless you rotate the crank so to rotate the crank you have to use a breaker bar on the crank pulley to rotate it. I don't see how one is easier than the other. Also the set screws will mar the factory pulley. Replacing the entire pulley gives you a factory pulley to fall back to. Also regardless of brand, why buy a pulley ring that gives you 8 hp less than an alloy ring?
The answer is: to keep the harmonic damper that is on the stock pulley. We have been through this before. The ring pulley allows the harmonic damper to remain doing the job it was designed to do by the people that make the car (they know best). The lighter alloy pulleys allow more crankshaft movement that can cause problems in the future. The scary 'breaker bar' is just a non-racheting socket wrench, so what's the big deal about that? Rotating the crank is easier than removing the bolt holding the pulley, just leave the car out of gear and turn the bolt with the socket wrench the engine will rotate easily. To properly put the ring on, first put it on lightly with the set screws. Then remove it and using a drill and proper sized bit make small shallow dimples where the marks from the setscrews are to fit the ends of the setscrew. Refit the ring and torque it in a crisscross patern and use Loctite on the screws.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X15jq, I just got my belt at Pep Boys, works fine, no unusual wear after 5K miles. It's a 6 rib, 56" belt, most auto supply stores carry it.

mdp c230k, I understand your concerns but if you really want a nice pulley that uses the factory pulley as a base get the Vaeth, Mr. Vaeth welds on the ring and grinds and refinishes it so that it looks like it was always meant to be and then it's rebalanced, a work of art, you should see it. Nothing I've seen from any tuner that uses a ring even comes close to the workmanship and appearance. I have nothing against Kleemann and if ASP wasn't available I would get the Kleemann alloy pulley but after several peoples' experiences on the forums I would not put the ring on my car at any price. If I felt as strongly as you about the damper I would get the Vaeth, hands down, the best made ring based pulley of them all, true German craftsmanship. That's why they are so popular with the SLK crowd. Don't even know of any SLK owners on any forum has the Kleemann ring, out of the 2 that bought it one has nothing now and the other one has the ASP.

Now if you think using a long handled rachet over a breaker bar is less scary for you then go ahead and use it. Now if you say that drilling several precision aligned holes into your factory pulley is easier than removing and reinstalling the entire pulley then your idea of easy is different than mine.

Last edited by Buellwinkle; 10-26-2002 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2002, 04:01 PM

2002 c230k
X15jq, I just got my belt at Pep Boys, works fine, no unusual wear after 5K miles. It's a 6 rib, 56" belt, most auto supply stores carry it.

mdp c230k, I understand your concerns but if you really want a nice pulley that uses the factory pulley as a base get the Vaeth, Mr. Vaeth welds on the ring and grinds and refinishes it so that it looks like it was always meant to be and then it's rebalanced, a work of art, you should see it. Nothing I've seen from any tuner that uses a ring even comes close to the workmanship and appearance. I have nothing against Kleemann and if ASP wasn't available I would get the Kleemann alloy pulley but after several peoples' experiences on the forums I would not put the ring on my car at any price. If I felt as strongly as you about the damper I would get the Vaeth, hands down, the best made ring based pulley of them all, true German craftsmanship. That's why they are so popular with the SLK crowd. Don't even know of any SLK owners on any forum has the Kleemann ring, out of the 2 that bought it one has nothing now and the other one has the ASP.

Now if you think using a long handled rachet over a breaker bar is less scary for you then go ahead and use it. Now if you say that drilling several precision aligned holes into your factory pulley is easier than removing and reinstalling the entire pulley then your idea of easy is different than mine.
I hope your reading comprehension goes up. Try reading my post one more time. I never said that it was easy nor did I say the breaker bar was a rachet. It is very clear that your opinions and ideas are not the same as mine, for that I am very greatful. Vaeth does make a nice pulley but it is very costly. I was contemplating doing that same when I get my pulley. I didn't know that you knew all the owners of slk's! Remember, people do things outside this forum(and others) and to think that Kleemann has been making a product for no one is downright foolish or are you having a flashback?
Old 10-26-2002, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I said SLK owners on any forum, not the entire SLK population, sorry if you got that confused. So for the two that did get the ring, two where unsatisfied, that 100% unsatisfaction in that market. Compare that to a control group of about 8 people that got other pulleys that don't have any problems. Don't know how many C230 Coupes on the forums that got the ring but my WAG is 6, with 2 people that had S/C failures, that's 1 in 3, not good statistics when you consider the control group of maybe 100 forum members that didn't have any pulley and did not experience these problems publicly. I can't keep track of people outside the forums so I have to assume that the ratios on the forums represents the rest of the world, my little statistical sample. Also, did Kleemann adjust the ring diameter to stop the belt from rubbing on the waterpump pulley? Let us know, we are all interested. I can understand where you are coming from, you want a ring type pulley and I understand that, but what I don't understand is why a knowledgable person like you would close their eyes and bury their head in the sand for the sake of a few dollars.

BTW, here's my Renncpe intecooler, just came, wooohooo!
Old 10-26-2002, 11:46 PM

C200K
Kleemann, are you watching?

Kleemann----

KLEEMANN, you still around? Are you watching?

Why such a price difference between KleemannUSA and KleemannDK for the same kit?

Everyone---

Can someone give me a rough estimate for the packed weight of the Kleemann ring pulley kit? KleemannUSA won't send to Thailand, the Malasian agent has disappeared off the face of the earth. Japanese dealer can't speak English. KleemannDK is two and a half times more expensive. ASP racing won't get back to me on the ASP pulley, nor has Evosports.... aaarrrggg!!! <fustration>

If worse comes to worse, I'll have to get a set (of any pulley) sent to my sister in Boston so she can relay the package over to me...hence my question about the package weight.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When the ASP pulley was shipped to me it was 7 lbs. US Airmail to Thailand is $36.55, Global Priority mail is $49.30 (insurance for $350 is $5.60). UPS is $116. Don't know if Lee at ASPRacing will ship outside the US (e-mail him at asp@aspracing.com), it is a hassle with customs forms. Check with Linh (ldnguyen1970@hotmail.com), he's helped some people with getting the ASP pulleys ordered. Good luck......
Old 10-27-2002, 01:32 AM

2001 W203 C-class Brabus completed car
Talking FYI

Why don't u try Brabus Pulley Kit for C200k? more powerful than Kleemann!
no shipping require.

Contact Brabus dealer(SEC group) in bkk 02-7196362
Old 10-27-2002, 01:47 AM

C200K
Re: FYI

Originally posted by bonn
more powerful than Kleemann!
Are you sure... www.brabus.de says "186 hp / 137 kW, 250 Nm" for their C200K kit

www.kleemann.dk says "200 bhp /280 nm"

sounds like Kleemann has more effect
Old 10-27-2002, 06:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: Kleemann, are you watching?

Originally posted by 3pointedSTAR
Kleemann----

KLEEMANN, you still around? Are you watching?

Why such a price difference between KleemannUSA and KleemannDK for the same kit?

Everyone---

Can someone give me a rough estimate for the packed weight of the Kleemann ring pulley kit? KleemannUSA won't send to Thailand, the Malasian agent has disappeared off the face of the earth. Japanese dealer can't speak English. KleemannDK is two and a half times more expensive. ASP racing won't get back to me on the ASP pulley, nor has Evosports.... aaarrrggg!!! <fustration>

If worse comes to worse, I'll have to get a set (of any pulley) sent to my sister in Boston so she can relay the package over to me...hence my question about the package weight.
Yes- Im here. Sorry, but I havent been to the board in some time. The price from DK must include VAT and installation.

The ring kit is approx 4lbs shipping weight. All alloy pulley is 7lbs shipping weight.

Not to stir up old ghosts but... The ring "failures" all occured on cars where a KLEEMANN installer was NOT used. The two that I got back were not installed properly (no loctite and improper torque). I replced both with no hesitation. Why is it that so many can have no problems with the ring for years- suddenly two problems in the USA and its as if I were selling hand grenades?

Contact us directly if you need- Im sure we can help you out.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:24 PM

Re: Re: Kleemann, are you watching?

Originally posted by KLEEMANN
... The two that I got back were not installed properly (no loctite and improper torque).....
This got me worried coz my installation was done by a non Kleemann mechanic as theres not Kleemann dealer in Australia. I watched the whole process when they installed it and they did it as per your instructions. Do you recommend general check up of the bolts of the ring after a certain time of period?, I’ve installed the ring back in May and its been about 5000 miles until now. I was just wondering if you could tell me or PM me the correct torque settings on that screws again please?, as I have lost the installation manual.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
what exactly does a pulley do?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Kleemann vs Kleemann