C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Impressed with STP fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
Impressed with STP fuel injector cleaner

The other day i went by autozone to grab a pair of city lights but they didnt have any "blue" ones. On the rack while i was walking out i noticed a sale was going on for STP fuel injector/carb cleaner. I said what the hell 2 for like under 5 bucks. I usually go with the more expensive Valvoline stuff but i decided to give it a try b/c i havent used the cleaner for awhile. Prior to this my car was feeling very sluggish. I did what the instructions said and filled up the tank and dumped in the whole bottle. Drove the car a bit and went over to my friends house which is a 45min drive on the highway LIE goin East. My car was pulling much better and i felt a lot more power. My MPG went up a few miles also. I know the computer isnt accurate but either way the car pulls stronger, feels faster, and def is saving more gas. Best 5 bucks i've spent in awhile... my fuel injectors were def deeeerty!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:22 AM

I downgraded to a VW, it's still German though
WOW! I suppose everyone's fuel injectors need cleaning from time to time. I have only used that stuff on old cars. I know Marvel Mystery Oil cleans stuff out too. Try some Seafoam out. It works like a champ to get rid of gunk in the intake, valves, and combustion chamber. It also seems like you invested in one of these:

KaleCo Auto's Butt Dyno!

Just install a great mod like a cold air intake? STP Fuel Injector Cleaner? Electric supercharger? Big Muffler? Magnetic fuel line ionizer? Awesome wing? Are you getting no respect from your friends for your newly found power? As we all know, these are high end and sophisticated modifications. Some may be TOO sophisticated to actually show up on a traditional dyno. So here we have: The Butt Dyno. Simply place it in the seat, and drive fast, weaving in and out of traffic. (On a race course, of course.) Now you can tell your friends with confidence "That oil-saturated air filter gave me 20 horses!"
Old 10-01-2007, 11:28 AM

02 C230 Coupe
Sounds cool. Guess i'll try it out too!
Old 10-01-2007, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
ya def a good idea let me know if you feel the difference in your car. after all its cheap so it cant hurt esp if you havent done it in awhile or never done it before lol
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
2010 c300
What is your mileage? I have about 22k on mine and sometimes it's sluggish sometimes it has power. Isn't this only recommended for higher mileage cars?
Old 10-01-2007, 02:28 PM
Almost a Member!

C230 W203 2003
I guess STP stocks went up suddenly
Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
order some piaa's for city lights
Old 10-01-2007, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
that reminds me put one it, maybe i'll get it for next tank
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
i got close to 61K now.

kev do you know where the cheapest place to buy Piaa city lights are?? which ones also b/c i know they have diff kinds

not sure but when i search piaa lights on ebay i feel like some of them arent "authentic" piaas... dk they just look different
Old 10-01-2007, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by BlackLiquorish8
i got close to 61K now.

kev do you know where the cheapest place to buy Piaa city lights are?? which ones also b/c i know they have diff kinds

not sure but when i search piaa lights on ebay i feel like some of them arent "authentic" piaas... dk they just look different
I think I got my PIAA's for like $12 from performanceproducts.com
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
aight sounds good i think i'll just order a pair on there so sick of the auto stores by me went to autozone didnt have ANY wedge bulbs except ricer red ones and also another auto store in my town and they dont even have any colored wedges except for clear wtf... wouldnt you think that they want to make money and order some????? pathetic
Old 10-02-2007, 02:17 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Yup I second that. The STP injector cleaner does wonders. My story is that is after a few years my car had trouble starting after sitting for a long time. Dealer changed the fuel filter, ran all sorts of tests, still was a problem.

I popped a bottle of the STP Injector Cleaner in the tank, and boom, car started every single time ever since. Turns out, the fuel system just needed cleaning. Now I use the stuff after every oil change.

Great product!

Rich...
Old 10-02-2007, 02:59 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
dont bother. buy a bottle of isopropyl alcohol for .99 at the local drugstore. same shyt.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
are you talking about dumping in a bottle of rubbing alcohol?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:02 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Re: Alcohols

These could (depending on the materials which are used to manufacture the fuel system of a given vehicle) corrode the seals and other parts of your fuel system. So I'd advise against alcohol based cleaners.

See question #10: http://www.stp.com/faqs_fuel.html

The "Complete Fuel System Cleaner" from STP gives the most bang for your buck cleaning power, but only use it 2x a year max.

Rich...
Old 10-03-2007, 01:47 AM

C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
indeed. if it wasnt STP fuel system cleaner, it was some other well known brand..... on the back, bottom of the bottle it said Contains: Isopropyl Alcohol.

i went into autozone one day with a friend who was troubleshooting his wife's car, and asked if they had any methanol (sometimes chain stores will surprise you with what unusual stuff they have)...... he said well isopropyl alcohol is commonly used as gas line antifreeze and as a fuel system cleaner- check out (name of said product here) i picked it up, and sure enough- just regular old isopropyl alcohol in a shiny $5 package.

alcohol has been linked to the premature failure of engine seals and other things due to its inherent caustic nature. it will rob rubber of its lifespan, drying it out and causing it to crack and fail. however, for the severe dilution that occours in pouring a pint into 15-16 gallons, fear not- it's perfectly safe.

...kinda amazing how well it cleans since its diluted so much.

btw, only vehicles that run alcohol as the main fuel are usually [theres always that one!] the ones have to be drained and purged when the vehicle sits for over 24 hours, otherwise above mentioned seal and fuel system component damage may occour.

personally? every time my engine hits 8-9PSI of boost, i'm spraying pure methanol right down into the throttle body. :-)
Old 10-03-2007, 02:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by kompressor85
indeed. if it wasnt STP fuel system cleaner, it was some other well known brand..... on the back, bottom of the bottle it said Contains: Isopropyl Alcohol.

i went into autozone one day with a friend who was troubleshooting his wife's car, and asked if they had any methanol (sometimes chain stores will surprise you with what unusual stuff they have)...... he said well isopropyl alcohol is commonly used as gas line antifreeze and as a fuel system cleaner- check out (name of said product here) i picked it up, and sure enough- just regular old isopropyl alcohol in a shiny $5 package.

alcohol has been linked to the premature failure of engine seals and other things due to its inherent caustic nature. it will rob rubber of its lifespan, drying it out and causing it to crack and fail. however, for the severe dilution that occours in pouring a pint into 15-16 gallons, fear not- it's perfectly safe.

...kinda amazing how well it cleans since its diluted so much.

btw, only vehicles that run alcohol as the main fuel are usually [theres always that one!] the ones have to be drained and purged when the vehicle sits for over 24 hours, otherwise above mentioned seal and fuel system component damage may occour.

personally? every time my engine hits 8-9PSI of boost, i'm spraying pure methanol right down into the throttle body. :-)
question i'm wondering is, is it any better or even the same?

STP cant simple be selling rubbing alcohol ALONE, their has to be more to the ingredients lol

i almost took this guy seriously just cuz i thought he was a fighter pilot loooool, sweet costume lol

ALi
Old 10-03-2007, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
ya i dont think the cleaner only has alchy in it or even any not sure havent looked in whats its made out of. i think it'll cause more wear and tear to just dump in a bottle of alcohol.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
2010 c300
Why would you treat a Mercedes with just a .99 cent alcohol. Have some class. Atleast use Grey Goose...haha.

I went with the Complete Fuel System cleaner and notice a slight difference in the top end. Low end is still the same. However I'm still 3/4 gas left. Should I have just gone with the Fuel Injector cleaner? I'm assuming the Complete Fuel cleaner is better.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 AM

02 C230 Coupe
Alright, so I was at auto zone yesterday and snagged a bottle of the STP Fuel Injector/Carbuerator stuff...then drove down the hwy to get some gas. Topped it off and put the whole bottle in...then I drove out of the gas station and drove around for a little, then floored it down the hwy and I got a check engine light!! Then it was like someone just cut the fuel lines and my engine almost stopped!!

Nah i'm just kiddin...it freakin pulls like crazy at top end, I love it! Best 2 dollars EVER spent on my car! I will def. keep adding this to my tank every so often. Nice find BlackLiquorish8!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 AM

02 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by aznmode
Why would you treat a Mercedes with just a .99 cent alcohol. Have some class. Atleast use Grey Goose...haha.

I went with the Complete Fuel System cleaner and notice a slight difference in the top end. Low end is still the same. However I'm still 3/4 gas left. Should I have just gone with the Fuel Injector cleaner? I'm assuming the Complete Fuel cleaner is better.

Well there are 2 different kinds...fuel cleaner and then the fuel injector/carburetor cleaner...thats what I used anyway.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C3Twon AWD Jumpofffff
nice i'm glad it worked out for you! i'd sugest using it atleast twice a year not sure if using it more would cause wear and tear or not... but ya my mpg has gone up signifcantly after use. when they are on sale again i'm gonna load up and keep a bottle in my trunk and a few in the garage.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by aznmode

Yup Complete Fuel System Cleaner is better. Much higher concentration of the cleaners. Around 2x according to STP's website. However because of this, you are only supposed to use it once a year.

Rich...