C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I Ordered an ASP Pully Today!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-05-2002, 10:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Smile I Ordered an ASP Pully Today!

I was planing on getting a Renntech or Kleemann pully but then i realized that a pully may just be a pully and since the ASP had a nice gain over some of the other pullys i might as well try it out.
I was planing on ordering a red pully but then i relized i would rather the dealer not notice it so i ordered a black one. The bad part is i wont get it untill 5 weeks. But when it comes hopefully i will be happy. I am not sure if i will try to install it my self or bring it somewhere, i will see when i get it. Is there anything else i need to get besides a belt for the pully? Lee at ASP said i need a 56" belt, do i need to know anything else or are all 56" belts the same? and just any belt or are there any better than others?
Last question, Should i go to the dealer to get the fuel settings changed to stage 2 or stage 3? or should i leave it at base? i am only concerend since i like to drive my car hard alot and i floor it a cupple times a day. what do u guys recomend? which will be safest and which will give me the best performance?

Thanks
Old 11-06-2002, 12:08 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily: VW GTI Vr6 Leasure: SLK350
I thought you have an Auto

How are you going to install the pulley yourself if you have an auto? If you do not have an auto, please excuse me for asking this question.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
I was planing on getting a Renntech or Kleemann pully but then i realized that a pully may just be a pully and since the ASP had a nice gain over some of the other pullys i might as well try it out.
WOW !!! Finally someone put their "brain" to good used...lol. I been try to tell people that many time over and over again. You will need the "air impact gun" to remove the pulley bolt if you car is an automatic. Any 6 rib and 56" belt will do. As for fuel setting, ask Buelwinkle.

Last edited by linh; 11-06-2002 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have mine set to Stage 2 based on Renncpe and Kleeman's recommendation. Never dynoed to see if what the difference is. Sorry about the long wait but he makes them to order to keep the price down.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:42 AM

C 230 Kompressor 2002
Hey Buellwinkle! if you set you car to stage 2! when you gain the 230 Hp what was your stage at that moment?
Old 11-06-2002, 02:51 AM

W212 E63
I ordered the ASP pulley today as well, and the bad part is waiting. I also have to wait for 5 weeks, let see who gets the pulley first.
Old 11-06-2002, 02:52 AM

C 230 Kompressor 2002
I will get mine in two days!

Trending Topics

Old 11-06-2002, 05:05 AM

2002 Mercedes c230k 6 speed
Linh, do you mean that someone in this board doesn't use his "brain"???
Old 11-06-2002, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Diego
Hey Buellwinkle! if you set you car to stage 2! when you gain the 230 Hp what was your stage at that moment?
My car was at the stock settings
Old 11-06-2002, 03:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: I thought you have an Auto

Originally posted by PoloJCP
How are you going to install the pulley yourself if you have an auto? If you do not have an auto, please excuse me for asking this question.
yes i do have an auto, but its still possible to do your self. The chances are that i will bring it some where though.

Originally posted by linh
You will need the "air impact gun" to remove the pulley bolt if you car is an automatic. Any 6 rib and 56" belt will do. As for fuel setting, ask Buelwinkle.
Ok thanks i will get that size belt at Pep Boys once the pully comes in. Since i will probally bring it some where and my car is an auto do u think that if i go to a shop and give them the belt and pully they will know what to do? or will i need to print buellwinkls instructions? The shop i am planing on bringing it to is a very good shop that works on ALOT of ferraris, mercedes, and BMWs, so i am guessing he will know how to out it on right? Oh and will he know how tight to make the pully?

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
I have mine set to Stage 2 based on Renncpe and Kleeman's recommendation. Never dynoed to see if what the difference is. Sorry about the long wait but he makes them to order to keep the price down.
Ok so i guess i will go to the dealer after the pully is installed and have them change the settings to stage 2 to be safe. i never called my dealer and asked if they would do it but i am hoping they will. Do you think that the stage 2 setting will make me or anyone else loose HP or is it possible to gain from that?

Originally posted by eason
let see who gets the pulley first.
the race is on.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:00 PM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Linh, do you mean that someone in this board doesn't use his "brain"???
Yes !!! They think that brand name is better. I have both pulley (Kleemann and ASP) installed in my car and customer cars. There's nothing different in term of power gains excepted for look. You can go out and buy brand name if you want but all you are doing is giving the "middle man" your $$$$.

BlackC230coupe, bring it to me !!!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally posted by linh
Yes !!! They think that brand name is better. I have both pulley (Kleemann and ASP) installed in my car and customer cars.
where do u work?

and also can u answer my last questions i made when i quoted u, thanks.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: I thought you have an Auto

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
Since i will probally bring it some where and my car is an auto do u think that if i go to a shop and give them the belt and pully they will know what to do? or will i need to print buellwinkls instructions? The shop i am planing on bringing it to is a very good shop that works on ALOT of ferraris, mercedes, and BMWs, so i am guessing he will know how to out it on right? Oh and will he know how tight to make the pully?

Any shop that works on MBs should know how to change the crank pulley without the instructions. The instructions may help in showing them how to remove the airfilter box if they never worked on C-Coupes before. ASP recommends 85 lb-ft with locktite vs. the factory settings for a steel pulley. You may want to let them know that. While the easy way on an automatic is to use an impact gun and it certainly has worked for many, the only way to torque it is to use a flywheel lock to keep the crank from moving while they use a torque wrench on the bolt. If they don't know what you are talking about and you really want it torqued correctly, check another shop.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: Re: Re: I thought you have an Auto

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Any shop that works on MBs should know how to change the crank pulley without the instructions. The instructions may help in showing them how to remove the airfilter box if they never worked on C-Coupes before. ASP recommends 85 lb-ft with locktite vs. the factory settings for a steel pulley. You may want to let them know that. While the easy way on an automatic is to use an impact gun and it certainly has worked for many, the only way to torque it is to use a flywheel lock to keep the crank from moving while they use a torque wrench on the bolt. If they don't know what you are talking about and you really want it torqued correctly, check another shop.
thanks, that was a very helpful reply.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:53 PM

How much is the ASP pulley again? Is shipping for these sort of items expensive?

Too bad there's no group buy
Old 11-06-2002, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by vyse
How much is the ASP pulley again? Is shipping for these sort of items expensive?

It is $350. It shouldn't cost too much to ship. It is a solid chunk of aluminum alloy. I think it weighs less than 10 pounds.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by vyse
$350 is the group buy for the forum. This pulley is not advertised or sold anywhere else, it was made specifically for the forums. I tried working a deal with Kleemann but they flat out turned us down so I went to ASP. They were the next least expensive at $899.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:29 AM
QC1

C230 Coupe
I think Im going to order mine pretty soon. 2 questions, could this harm the car in any way? Also does this void any warranties? Especially in Canada
Old 11-07-2002, 01:19 AM

QC1: If you get the pulley, where do you plan to have it installed? I also live in Toronto.
Old 11-07-2002, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by QC1
I think Im going to order mine pretty soon. 2 questions, could this harm the car in any way? Also does this void any warranties? Especially in Canada
I can't speak to Canadian laws but in the U.S. the manufacturer would have to prove that the part caused the failure, tough to do if the part is removed first.
Old 11-07-2002, 03:17 AM

W212 E63
For people in Canada, if anything happens to your car during the warranty peroid with aftermarket parts, just tow the car back to your house or a shop, then put the car back to stock and tow it back to dealer.
Old 11-07-2002, 08:03 AM
QC1

C230 Coupe
vyse, I have no idea where to get it installed. I actually live in London, Ontario during the year for school so I may get it installed down here. Has anyone had any engine problems with the pulley?
Old 11-07-2002, 08:52 AM

2002 c230k
Originally posted by QC1
vyse, I have no idea where to get it installed. I actually live in London, Ontario during the year for school so I may get it installed down here. Has anyone had any engine problems with the pulley?
Not yet. Do your research by searching the forum for lots of answers on pulleys.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:10 AM

C200K
Alternator burning up...

I've been thinking hard over the past couple weeks... on the one hand I can spend $350 and get a pulley (ASP) and on the other hand I can spend $899 and get two pullies (Kleemann).

What is the degree of risk of frying your alternator with the ASP pulley? I'd like to say that I drive my little C Class pretty hard, and tend to floor it from every traffic light therefore my alternator will be spending a significant amount of time 'overdriven'.

If someone with the technical knowledge of the alternator could tell me if the alternator can withstand a 20% overdrive (ASP pullies are 20% right?).

Cheers,

3pt
Old 11-08-2002, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Alternator burning up...

Originally posted by 3pointedSTAR
I've been thinking hard over the past couple weeks... on the one hand I can spend $350 and get a pulley (ASP) and on the other hand I can spend $899 and get two pullies (Kleemann).

What is the degree of risk of frying your alternator with the ASP pulley? I'd like to say that I drive my little C Class pretty hard, and tend to floor it from every traffic light therefore my alternator will be spending a significant amount of time 'overdriven'.

If someone with the technical knowledge of the alternator could tell me if the alternator can withstand a 20% overdrive (ASP pullies are 20% right?).

Cheers,

3pt
I not going to tell you which is better because with the Kleemann kit the alternator pulley is 40% larger making it underdrive by 20%. ASP does offer the alternator pulley and it's about $50. I wouldn't do it because I feel the risks of underdriving 20% are greater than the risks of overdriving 20%. Also keep in mind that out of about 8 different pulley kits, only Carlsson and Kleemann provide alt pulleys. It would be very difficult to make an exact 1 for 1 pulley to match the crank pulley because nobody makes a belt that size. The SLK230 and C230K sedans that have performance pulleys without changing the alt pulley have never had a problem that anyone mentioned on those forums.

So let's redo the math $400 vs. $899. That's a $499 savings, apply it towards a Renntech intercooler, worth the money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: I Ordered an ASP Pully Today!