C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Clutch pedal noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Question Clutch pedal noise

Have any of you fellow 6-speeders noticed a noise from the clutch pedal as it approaches close to the floor? It sounds like a spring that needs to be lubricated. Once in a while I had heard a sound the first time I pressed the clutch when starting, but with the cold weather, it seems to be more consistent. It's not too loud, but you can notice it when you press or release the clutch just near its full travel near the floor. (This is a C240)
Old 01-08-2002, 02:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Mark, you read my mind. I've just started to notice it myself. It's kind of weird, isn't it? I don't know what, if anything, could be done, but it's a little strange.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:01 PM
benzomonterey

oh thanks guys something else for me to listen for

I haven't heard this one yet.
Old 01-08-2002, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by tommy
Mark, you read my mind. I've just started to notice it myself. It's kind of weird, isn't it? I don't know what, if anything, could be done, but it's a little strange.
Tommy, if at least one other person (you) hears it, maybe it's "normal". When something small like this appears, I sometimes hesitate even mentioning it to the dealer -- you know, leave well enough alone. Do you think yours has been more noticeable in colder weather?
Old 01-08-2002, 04:06 PM

2001 C240 6spd
I have not noticed any noises for the clutch when depressed..but will keep notice on it and report back. I have just over 10K in mileage...when did you guys notice this?
Old 01-08-2002, 04:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by MarkL

Tommy "normal". Do you think yours has been more noticeable in colder weather?
Not often that I see my name and normal in the same sentence. Thanks! I think that it's more noticeable in colder weather; I'll make sure to take note of what it sounds like from now on, and whether the noise changes. Of course, it's gotten colder at the same time that I've put more mileage on it, so it could be the cold, it could be the additional wear, it could be both, or it could be absolutely nothing. If it falls off, then I'll know that I have a problem; otherwise, unless it gets really loud, I'll leave it as-is.

I can almost hear the giggling of the slushbox-equipped weenies in the background ...
Old 01-08-2002, 04:39 PM

C230 Sport Coupe
I've heard it too, but I had a Honda Civic that was similar in that it also happened in cold weather. I just shrugged my shoulders and figured that the metal contracted in the colder weather and made a noise. It goes away when it gets warm in the cabin.

On the other hand, I grew up on a farm and the most frequently used tool for farm equipment was the grease gun. It is amazing how many things a little lubrication will fix :p . I'll tell my technician about it when I have my first checkup.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by shtatc
I have not noticed any noises for the clutch when depressed..but will keep notice on it and report back. I have just over 10K in mileage...when did you guys notice this?
I've got about 4300 miles on my '02 C240. At first I used to hear a slight noise when I'd depress the clutch preparing to start the car. After that one time, it wouldn't make a noise until next time it had been unused for a while.
But now, as I said, I hear a slight sort of "spring" noise every time the clutch gets near the floor. We think it might be related to colder temperatures. Just depress your clutch when your car is off and see if you hear anything as it
approaches the floor, or when you just let it back out. But, I see you're in Arizona, so if it's temperature related (cold), you might not notice it.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:50 AM

2001 C240 6spd
MarkL

I guess the squeeking may be a cold weather problem....but it has gotten relative cold here in December....mid 30's and I really did not notice it then...but living in AZ has it benefits....and snow is no longer a problem....having lived in Philadelphia and Chicago....I know what driving in snow/cold weather can do....I had a Honda Civic and I know the clutch squeeked when the weather got cold...so, it could be related to temperature.....
Old 01-09-2002, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by shtatc
MarkL...I know what driving in snow/cold weather can do...
Yeah, just this morning we had some unexpected freezing rain. I left my house but decided to turn around and wait another hour until the temps rose a little. Made a big difference. There were too many cars sliding to feel comfortable getting to work unscathed!