C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Talking with Bose about Coupe sound quality...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2002 | 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
Talking with Bose about Coupe sound quality...

I've been having an ongoing discussion via email with Bose Corp regarding the lousy quality of the Coupe's sound system. They seem oblivious to the fact that it is faulty or poorly designed but seem to actually care enough to check into it. Posted below is a letter and my response from my most recent communication. I would like to ask that many of you post your view and include your true observations and experiences. Based on this recent communication it looks like Bose is interested in seeing what people truly think!

Technically speaking, we shouldn't have to post anything additional - searching in the W203 forum, Bose hits 572 topics! I can remember from reading these over the past few months they are already less than kind.

Without further ado...

I would welcome you're perusal of this forum. It is located at: www.mbworld.org - click on this link to go into the C class forum which is really specific to the problem:

https://mbworld.org/forums/forumdisp...p?s=&forumid=3

searching in that forum just for 'bose' I come up with 572 hits. Some headlines right off the bat: "BOSE System - I'm Not Impressed..." There are many others - typically within other discussion threads, but 95% of the consesus is that the system installed in the C-Class Coupe stinks.

Additionally, owners generally agree - after listening to both the Coupe and the Sedan versions, that the Coupe truly suffers wheras the sedan system is pretty acceptable.

I would like to have you address this - as the goodwill you will no doubt generate will offset any costs associated by orders of magnitude.

Thanks in advance and please let me know what the next steps may be.

Peet Dale
----- Original Message -----
To: <peet@adeas.com>
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2002 6:30 AM
Subject: RE: Re: Automotive

> *****To reply to this message, please select the reply button. To help us
> expedite your inquiry, please be sure to include our original
> response.******
>
> Hello Peet,
>
> I spoke with your OEM Service Engineer and he asked if you had listened to
> other vehicles and I explained to him that you had and they all sound the
> same which would indicate the system was performing to specification.
>
> I also explained that you had spoken to many other owners who felt the same
> as you do and that you had mentioned an owners forum. Could you please
> provide me with that information to log into this owners forum ?
>
> Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation.
>
> Patty Bolack
> Consumer Relations Division
> -----------------------------------------------------
> Bose Corporation - Contact Information
>
> US Telephone: (800)231-2673
> International Tel: (508)766-6699
> Fax Number: (508)879-2043
> Email: http://www.bose.com/contact_us/
>
> Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST)
> Visit our Website: www.bose.com
> -----------------------------------------------------
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
> Technical Support Information:
> Email Id:1-972G5
> Email Agent Id:1-I2Z3
> Queue Id:1-HMGQ
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Peet Dale
> Sent: 11/10/2002 15:26:12
> To: support
> Subject: Re: Automotive
>
> So weeks go by and I am still ignored. Last chance. Please give me a
> resolution.
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Peet Dale
>
>
> > *****To reply to this message, please select the reply button. To help us
> > expedite your inquiry, please be sure to include our original
> > response.******
> >
> > Hello Peet,
> >
> > I am sorry to hear that you are disappointed with the Bose Music System in
> > your Mercedes C230K Coupe. I am forwarding your message to our OEM
> Systems
> > Designers I will get to back to you with any suggestions or comments.
> >
> > Thank you for choosing Bose Corporation.
> >
> > Patty Bolack
> > Consumer Relations Division
> > -----------------------------------------------------
> > Bose Corporation - Contact Information
> >
> > US Telephone: (800)231-2673
> > International Tel: (508)766-6699
> > Fax Number: (508)879-2043
> > Email: http://www.bose.com/contact_us/
> >
> > Office Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (EST)
> > Visit our Website: www.bose.com
> > -----------------------------------------------------
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> > Technical Support Information:
> > Email Id:1-7ZRLS
> > Email Agent Id:1-I2Z3
> > Queue Id:1-HMGQ
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Peet Dale
> > Sent: 09/17/2002 00:46:29
> > To: support
> > Subject: Automotive
> >
> > I recently purchased a Mercedes C230K Coupe. I purchased the Bose upgrade
> -
> > assuming the quality that went with the hype would be there.
> >
> > What happened?! I think my kids boom-box sounds better. There is next to
> no
> > Bass even at +10 setting on the head. Mids are washed out and the highs
> are
> > limited with no dynamic range! I listened to the C320 sedan's system and
> > they don't sound anything alike. I've also listened to other C230 coupes
> to
> > make sure mine wasn't faulty - alas, if anything is faulty it is the
> design.
> >
> > Please let me know how i can improve this system. Ideally I'd like to
> > increase bass (well the sub is tiny so I can't see that happening). But
> most
> > importantly I need to fix my staging - front mid and tweets. What are the
> > specs of your speakers so I can keep the amp and just upgrade the
> > components?
> >
> > The last car I sold had over 12,000 in custom audio - and I can't compare
> a
> > cheap factory upgrade to that, but I really would like to sound at least
> as
> > good as the sedan version.
> >
> > Please reply - and with more answer than a canned marketing reply. This is
> a
> > big issue for me and I am sharing my views and experiences in this process
> > with a large audience.
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------
> > Additional Information for Technical Support:
> > ---------------------------------------------
> > Customer FirstName: Peet
> > Customer LastName: Dale
> > Customer Email: peet@XXX
> > Customer State: AL
> > Customer Country: US
> >
> > HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 98).
> > OmniWeb/4.1-v422
> > HTTP_REFERER:
> > http://www.bose.com/cgi-bin/contact_...none&from=auto
> >
> > Routing Text: WWW_AUTOMOTIVE_DEFAULT_US
> >
Old 11-15-2002 | 03:00 PM

2008 C300 Sport
I don't expect audiophile quality from my auto. It is almost universally agreed by Coupe owners with the BOSE system, however, that the bass response is definitely below standard. I can only guess that the installed 'compact' subwoofer really isn't up to the task. Anyway, thats' my .02 worth. Please keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2002 | 03:30 PM

E350 Coupe (2010)
I dont think bose has much to work with from that head unit... that thing is a piece of crap.
Old 11-15-2002 | 03:32 PM

So is the general concensus on the board, without taking into account the infinite number of after market options, that it is preferable to go with the standard sound system rather than the Bose? In other words, does the stock standard system sound better than the Bose upgrade?
Old 11-15-2002 | 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
The radio sucks... Cd player is soooo much better with the bose...
Old 11-15-2002 | 04:32 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
I emailed my 0.02 cent in Peet. Good luck and keep us posted. I recommend/encourage all of us on MBworld to do stuff like this b/c it DOES matter. We are reasonable people who love our automobiles that we pay good hard earned money(no matter a c coupe or an SL600). I also encourage more of you to write/email/phone MBUSA whenever a dealership treat you wrong and give fair BUT accurate review to MBUSA so that not only current service/products can be better but future ones as well. Thanks
Old 11-15-2002 | 06:51 PM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Let me put my $0.02 into this equation.

I'm not impressed with the BOSE in mine. If it wouldn't be std I would never have ordered it as an option. Even in the sedan the sub is way to shallow. It makes me wonder if BOSE did the car with the European HU in the car instead of the POS Alpine we get in the States. Everybody here tells us that the Audio 10 CD has a much better sound with or without BOSE. That just leads me to believe that even the European Cassette HU must have better sound (maybe some of our foreign members can speak to this). In my humble opinion, without taking any side other than ours, I think MB and BOSE need to get together and do a fix for the C-class. Regardless of Coupe or Sedan. I think that either MB needs to do something about the factory std HU or BOSE needs to do some remasuring and retuning.
By the way! Doesn't MB advertise a much bigger sub in the Coupe than everybody on here talks about. I know the Sedan has an 8" in the rear parcel shelf but the opening into the cabin is inadequate. Could that be the case in the Coupe's also?

Peet
Feel free to copy me if you wish.

P.S.
Why can BOSE get it semi-right in domestics and Japanese cars for about the same amount of money. Would that be a reason why the new E-class has a Becker/Hartmon Kardon system instead of the BOSE. Does MB finally recognize the same thing that BMW found out a long time ago.

Last edited by amdeutsch; 11-15-2002 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-15-2002 | 06:54 PM

1995 Acura
It really is the head unit. I have the Bose system with COMAND. COMAND supplies a direct audio line-in. I've recently gotten an iPod (best invention EVER!) and when I listen to the iPod through the line-in--it actually sounds good. Much bassier than with radio or CD. The speakers are really fine--it's just the headunit (either the standard or COMAND version) that is lousy.

Go get iPods people!
Old 11-15-2002 | 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by SFVideoGuy
It really is the head unit. I have the Bose system with COMAND. COMAND supplies a direct audio line-in. I've recently gotten an iPod (best invention EVER!) and when I listen to the iPod through the line-in--it actually sounds good. Much bassier than with radio or CD. The speakers are really fine--it's just the headunit (either the standard or COMAND version) that is lousy.

Go get iPods people!
The Bose system comes alive with the six disc changer...can't say I know why, but suddenly there's bass and plenty of it.

I'm of the opinion that the stock sub woofer in the trunk is a P.O.S. My wife's old Probe GT had a factory installed subwoofer in roughly the same location, and it kicked out monster bass. This thing sucks. Open the panel covering it...bet you can't even feel the bass when youre touching it. All the bass I'm getting now is coming from the speakers, which really weren't designed for bass response...Bose has plenty of explaining to do when it comes to that wimpy POS subwoofer. And why does the CD make so much of difference?
Old 11-15-2002 | 07:31 PM

C230K
Originally posted by SFVideoGuy

Go get iPods people!
I'll vouch for that. Input a sat radio for even more tunes.
Old 11-15-2002 | 10:30 PM

C250 Coupe 2012
Think MB and Bose need to take a real hard look at our system.
We paid $610.00 (on the window sticker) for a 810 Bose Premium Sound System, for that kind of money and "premium"we should have a premium system. False advertisment??? My Volvo S60 "stock system, and standard equipemnt, is probable one of the best I have heard in a car. Some one owes use something or a refund, think what $610.00 would buy you in a home system, my son paid less than that for his system in a Honda and it sounds premium to me. Think Bose needs to defend their product, we did not get what we paid for. Bose is always advertising how great a "clear" their system are. May be MB will give us a kiss for getting into our wallet.
Old 11-15-2002 | 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
it may very well be the radio though if you think about it. when people install the A10 they rave about the better sound quality as do those going through the Aux input of COMAND.
Old 11-15-2002 | 10:56 PM

C250 Coupe 2012
Maybe get a recall anf replace all our radio's and give us our moneys worth or refund.
Old 11-15-2002 | 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by CitronC230K_03
it may very well be the radio though if you think about it. when people install the A10 they rave about the better sound quality as do those going through the Aux input of COMAND.
How is it the radio then? These guys switched to the Command, and it doesn't come alive until they hook in some dirty(sound quality) mp3's? C'mon. Ive heard the sound thru both command and Audio 10, its much the same quality as with the BOSE enabled standard headunit. Only difference I noticed, is on the Audio 10 it seems like the bass control has a full +/-12db adjustment...on the stock h/u it feels like +/- 6 to 10db. And much like the effect you get with the six disc, they sound much better when playing CD's as well.

Open up your sub box door....you'll see what I mean, that thing sucks.

Anybody try just disconecting it, and putting in like a bazooka, or just running those leads to a genuine subwoofer? Inline AMP to the stock sub?

Bose, are you listening? Or is this message being drowned out by that prevelant midrange? The system is clean, and imaging is nice(to me anyway), but the bass could use some work.
Old 11-15-2002 | 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Outland
How is it the radio then? These guys switched to the Command, and it doesn't come alive until they hook in some dirty(sound quality) mp3's? C'mon. Ive heard the sound thru both command and Audio 10, its much the same quality as with the BOSE enabled standard headunit. Only difference I noticed, is on the Audio 10 it seems like the bass control has a full +/-12db adjustment...on the stock h/u it feels like +/- 6 to 10db. And much like the effect you get with the six disc, they sound much better when playing CD's as well.

Open up your sub box door....you'll see what I mean, that thing sucks.

Anybody try just disconecting it, and putting in like a bazooka, or just running those leads to a genuine subwoofer? Inline AMP to the stock sub?

Bose, are you listening? Or is this message being drowned out by that prevelant midrange? The system is clean, and imaging is nice(to me anyway), but the bass could use some work.
unfortunately all i have to go from are these threads. my car doesnt arrive until the 1st week of jan, so until then this is all can base my opinion on.
Old 11-16-2002 | 06:16 AM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER

I would agree with the +/- 6 dB range on the factory HU. 10 dB is too close to the +/- 12 dB of the Audio 10 CD. The average human ear would have a hard telling the difference unless it is musically inclined. In order to hear double the volume you need 10 dB. 3 dB is just double the power. Thats the way the ear works.
In regards to the CD changer I have mixed answers. If I listen to the music that the younger generation hears I would agree with enough bass. But then that is all mixed in that way. Listen to some jazz or classical, which definitely have bass but the CDs are mixed differently, and the sound system leaves a lot to be desired. The BOSE system is supposed to be designed to be a "PREMIUM?" system (pocketbook - not sound) and play all kinds of music correctly. I personally would expect not having to change the bass/treble controls too much in a "PREMIUM" system to get good and full sound.
Just another $0.02. That puts me up to $0.04 now.
Old 11-16-2002 | 05:56 PM

2008 C300 Sport
The Bose system comes alive with the six disc changer...can't say I know why, but suddenly there's bass and plenty of it.
I find that it depends on the age of the CD. Older CDs still sound tinny and flat. Newer CDs seem to have a fuller sound. Guess that makes .04 for me too. :p
Old 11-16-2002 | 09:21 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 White C230 Kompressor Coupe(Black Interior)
Cool

I think my Bose Souns good in my car.. My whole house audio system is equipped with Bose.. and it sounds the same in my car, clarity and all.. except for the bass i geuss.. i like it deep. heeh.
Old 11-16-2002 | 11:36 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 coupe
I have a coupe with the Bose sound system. I am very satisfied with the overall performance. Is a higher level of performance possible? Certainly! However, my assesment of the system's performance is based on realistic expectaions.

What would $610 buy in the aftermarket? For a complete system, not much. Keep in mind, also, the size and weight of the system components and the way they are integrated into the car. This integration is the very issue with the coupe. It is a hatchback. Maintaining an open cargo area is part of the car's appeal and value. This also presents design limitations regarding the sound system, especially in the area of delivery of low frequencies. More speaker enclosure space and better placement options, such as inherently exist in a sedan, are not available. Those limitaions could be completely overcome at a cost of some combination of space, weight and money. Considering the dollars and space allocated to the Bose system by Mercedes, I think Bose did a commendable job in providing a very credible level of performance.

Would it be nice if the bass range was extended by another 1/3 or 1/2 octvave? Yes! How much more would that have cost? I don't know. Would I have paid more to get it? Maybe. Do I feel as though I got short changed considering the sound I get for the price I paid? Not in the slightest!!!
Old 11-17-2002 | 12:02 AM
Administrator
MBWorld Ambassador

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by Maeds1
I have a coupe with the Bose sound system.

What would $610 buy in the aftermarket? For a complete system, not much.

Would it be nice if the bass range was extended by another 1/3 or 1/2 octvave?
Keep in mind that is $610 over the std system. I think you could easily get a couple of tweeters, a sub and an amp to power it all.

For an integrated system BOSE is not that great for the money. Maybe that is why in a lot of cases other systems are appearing in cars. I think that a lot of the money goes to the name and then to the sound.
Old 11-17-2002 | 12:23 AM

2002 C230K
I have had many cars with stock, premium,and custom stereo systems installed. I can honestly say that the C-Coupe has the worst frequency response of any PREMIUM system that I have owned. The overall sound is at or below that of many stock systems I have owned including that of the stock MB C Sedan, E Sedan and even the Volkswagen or Audi lines of vehicles.

That being said, the fault is not entirely that of the Bose engineers. In my honest opinion the low end response problem is the primary flaw of the Bose system design and is due to the inadequate low end sub woofer design and power provided to that system. the Subwoofers in the SLK are far superior to those in the Coupe and it is completely inadequate for the comparatively cavernous area of the coupe.

On the otherjhand when equipted with the Audio 10 and Bose the midrange and high end are more than pleasing and I can only conclude that the midrange and hi end problems are due to the poor quality head unit supplied to MB for the C Class vehicles.

I believe that Bose would be well served to work with mercedes to redesign the audio system from the ground up as this system is not deserving of the term 'premium'.

Last edited by WebGuyNJ; 11-17-2002 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-17-2002 | 03:42 AM

C230K
Originally posted by Maeds1
Would it be nice if the bass range was extended by another 1/3 or 1/2 octvave? Yes! How much more would that have cost? I don't know. Would I have paid more to get it? Maybe. Do I feel as though I got short changed considering the sound I get for the price I paid? Not in the slightest!!!
I agree 100%

I have read thread after thread about lack of bass, etc., but never said anything because I feel sound is a very subjective topic.

Yet I play a CD on my changer w/ comand, have the ambience setting at normal, bass increased slightly, treble flat, fade slightly to the rear and even less to the right,

and bam, I have more then enough range.

And it is so damn clear. I even listen to Beastie Boys on it sometimes.

Now being very subjective, it isn't anywhere near the (opinion here) totally ridicules kids cruising down the blvd in their lowered civics and shaking store front windows with nothing BUT bass. Must remind them of dancing around the fire with the tribe, I don't know.

But to me, the system in the coupe sounds awesome.
Old 11-17-2002 | 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
To address 1 point - I have the Audio 10
To address another point - I have an iPod (have had it since it shipped 5GB on the first week)

These things DO NOT fix the lack of low end, missing front staging, high clarity or the lack of midrange.

Sorry.

To talk to another point, $650 in factory upgrades to probably another $500 or so (lets say) means $1150 in factory money. Now up the cost to what it would really be one at a time and you're closer to $2k. For $2k you can get a very nice little system.

But - I asked for opinions and I appreciate them all even if they don't match mine .

Keep 'em coming!
Old 11-18-2002 | 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ive never heard the audio 10 or COMAND. ive heard the audio 30 and i liked it. maybe because my current car is nearly 3 years old, i dunno. im not an audophile and i belive that maybe the reason. i guess ill know better when i live it day to commuting.
Old 11-18-2002 | 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09 C63
Sorry Citron - you can't play in this sandbox. Must own and be in possession of a coupe! Otherwise you are biasing the thread in a given direction based on time spent in car @ dealer.

P

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Talking with Bose about Coupe sound quality...