C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

California Water Blade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Question California Water Blade?

anyone have one? what are your impressions? i was told about it by a friend of mine who is getting one.

i really like the duster that they make.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 4Matic
I have been using one for about 2 years now, I bought one when it first came out. It does dry the car faster than using a chamois and I always keep it in my detailing kit. I would recommend it, but don't pay more than $20.

I have to warn you though, if you are using it on black paint which doesn't have swirl marks, it will cause swirls, although so will a chamois. In other words it's great for normal washing but not good enough for competition.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:37 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Originally posted by eddie
I have to warn you though, if you are using it on black paint which doesn't have swirl marks, it will cause swirls, although so will a chamois. In other words it's great for normal washing but not good enough for competition.
i have a black coupe, so i guess its a no go for me

thanks for saving me 20 bucks

greg
Old 11-14-2001, 11:50 PM
Almost a Member!

MB C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Originally posted by eddie
I have been using one for about 2 years now, I bought one when it first came out. It does dry the car faster than using a chamois and I always keep it in my detailing kit. I would recommend it, but don't pay more than $20.

Great...just bought a chamois...

What do you use not to get swirls? And how do you get the swirls out? Clay AND wax the car?

Touchless car washes no good? Any car washes good?
Old 11-14-2001, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
Thanks for the info also. I just posted this same question in the General MB Discussion forum.
Old 11-15-2001, 12:29 AM

Has anyone used Meguiar's scratch X remover for swirls?
Old 11-15-2001, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by tomqbui

What do you use not to get swirls? And how do you get the swirls out? Clay AND wax the car?

Touchless car washes no good? Any car washes good?
i think you should just start liking the swirl aesthetic

i also ask, what doesn't cause swirls? claying should be done rarely, imho, when you got water spots that won't come out. i zainoed the car about a month ago and water spots can still be rubbed off.

i have a orion blue coupe which is kind of dark and i will get the water blade and try it out. hopefully, the zaino will be an impervious barrier to the swirls
Old 11-15-2001, 09:49 AM

2001 C Class Sedan
Water blade

I've been using the blade for about 6 months, it really is awesome. I lightly go over the car and then use a cotton towel to finish the job. It's great on windows!
Old 11-15-2001, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
I've been using cotton terry cloth towels for drying my cars for years without any problems, as far as swirls, etc. When I got my new C240 a few months ago, I decided to "upgrade" my drying equipment and try to get more efficiency. First I got a chamois, but it seemed to cause some streaking, and, I believe it will strip wax because of the tanning chemicals which are used. Then, I tried the P21S drying "cloth" which was highly recommended. I used it on both the M-B and my wife's Buick several times. Then I noticed a few new slight scratches, and I went back to the cotton towels.

Here's where I think the problem is. Even though you've just washed the car, small particles can still be present. When you dry the car with a cotton towel, there is some "give" due to the loops of the material. I think this helps avoid scratching. On the other hand, the chamois and other types of "absorbers" have flat smooth surfaces, and actually seem to cause more friction. I think they tend to drag any particles more which can cause a scratch. I'm thinking that the California Water Blade may fall into this category, though I have not tried one myself.
Old 11-20-2001, 03:09 PM

2002 SLK32 AMG
I've used a blade for more than a year, and have no evidence of swirls (and my cars are concours winners). Of course, my cars aren't black, but I really can't fathom how you could possibly get swirls from something that you do not move across the surface in a circular motion. I've found the water blade to be very safe to use, but you really must make sure that the blade is perfectly clean prior to using it. Otherwise you'll just be dragging debris over the paint finish and risk scratching the car.

Overall, in drying the car, I typically start with the blade and finish off with a cotton towel. I've also heard very good things (both here and elsewhere) about the P21S drying towel and plan to try one in the near future. Again, I've never heard of this product causing scratches if you start with a properly cleaned car and a clean towel. (One note: I always use a different towel for drying the engine area, wheels, wheel wells, exhaust, etc.)