C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Gas Thank Overflowed Today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Angry Gas Thank Overflowed Today!

I was putting gas in my C230 today and everything was going fine for about 2-3 minutes, Then then i felt the trgger pop so i stoped pumping and right as i was going to take it out the whole "square" the bottom of the gas tank square strated to over flow and kept pouring down the car for about 5 seconds at least, it went all over the car, rim, tire, ground, and then i saw it start pouring out of the little over flow tube under the car, i have no idea why this happned. I did everything how i normally would, i did not top off or anything. My only concern is that i have had this happnen 4 other times but it over really came out as much as today. when i pulled away from the pump there was about 4-5 feet of gas on the ground. So since this has happned a cupple times at different pumps at new gas stations, is it a problem with my car? or is it that i am getting unlucky with all the pumps? did this ever happen to anyone else?
i was also pissed because i used the cheap paper towels quick to wipe the gas on the car and i noticed when i got home there were small sctratches and looked very unwaxed where the gas spilled. (very noticeable on a black car). But when i got home i washed it all off and even waxed over that area, so now its fine.
So does anyone know what the problem is? what a waste of gas.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: Gas Thank Overflowed Today!

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

i was also pissed because i used the cheap paper towels quick to wipe the gas on the car and i noticed when i got home there were small sctratches and looked very unwaxed where the gas spilled. (very noticeable on a black car). But when i got home i washed it all off and even waxed over that area, so now its fine.
So does anyone know what the problem is? what a waste of gas.
Never try to wipe it up, you'll only make it worse. Just let it evaporate...and make sure you wash and wax the area that got doused.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Re: Gas Tank Overflowed Today!

... is it a problem with my car?
I'd be concerned that the charcoal canister and fuel vapour lines got some liquid fuel in them. You should go to your dealer and explain what happened. It sounds as though your gas tank venting may not be working properly....because if the vapour recovery system is working you should never get serious blowback like that.

P.S. Dynamite signaure! Heh Heh
Old 11-21-2002, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it sounds like you have a vebting problem in your tank. possibly!
Old 11-21-2002, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: Re: Gas Tank Overflowed Today!

Originally posted by Mike T.
I'd be concerned that the charcoal canister and fuel vapour lines got some liquid fuel in them. You should go to your dealer and explain what happened. It sounds as though your gas tank venting may not be working properly....because if the vapour recovery system is working you should never get serious blowback like that.
I agree. I'm surprised that you didn't get a "check engine" light.

- BT
Old 11-21-2002, 03:25 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Most likely, it's as Mike T. and trench describe. Otherwise it's your Coupe getting back at you for comparing a Mercedes with a Hyundai... :p

Just because SoCal240/6 acts like the village idiot doesn't mean you should mimic him.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 11-21-2002 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: Re: Gas Thank Overflowed Today!

Originally posted by Outland
Never try to wipe it up, you'll only make it worse. Just let it evaporate...and make sure you wash and wax the area that got doused.
i only wiped it because i did not think it was good to keep the gas on the car. its fine now with the wax over it though.

Originally posted by Mike T.

P.S. Dynamite signaure! Heh Heh
when i once had the check engine light on my CLK430 come on they thought that it came on from the charcoal canister getting fuel it it also, only it turend out it was a faulty fuel pump.
I am actually pretty suprised that my check engine light did not go on. i thought it would in a situation like this. So it seems that it may be something wrong with the car and not the pump. i guess i will have to bring my car to the dealer and have them check it out. I am not making this to serious though, i hope its not, so i will try to make an appointment in a week or 2. when i have time.

Originally posted by MB-BOB
Most likely, it's as Mike T. and trench describe. Otherwise it's your Coupe getting back at you for comparing a Mercedes with a Hyundai...
LOL, dont worry the sig is only temporary, i may take it away tomarrow. i hope no one but one person is actually taking it serious, to anyone with a c240 or c320 (c240 is pictured though) i love the cars so dont think i am bashing on you for having one.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:40 PM

c230 Coupe
Re: Re: Re: Gas Thank Overflowed Today!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
So it seems that it may be something wrong with the car and not the pump. i guess i will have to bring my car to the dealer and have them check it out. I am not making this to serious though, i hope its not, so i will try to make an appointment in a week or 2. when i have time???

I am not trying to knock your common sense or anything, but if i witnessed what you just described i would be at that dealership immediately. no way would i feel safe driving a car that did that.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Gas Thank Overflowed Today!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hokusbenz
So it seems that it may be something wrong with the car and not the pump. i guess i will have to bring my car to the dealer and have them check it out. I am not making this to serious though, i hope its not, so i will try to make an appointment in a week or 2. when i have time???

I am not trying to knock your common sense or anything, but if i witnessed what you just described i would be at that dealership immediately. no way would i feel safe driving a car that did that.
well, i do not feel 100% comftorable driving but i will bring it in soon, since it has happned before just not as bad and everything was fine then it should be the same now as then. but i will try to call tomarrow to make an appointment.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:50 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6

Just because SoCal240/6 acts like the village idiot doesn't mean you should mimic him.
Such remarks and personal attacks are not very becoming of our esteemed "moderator," are they?

Looks like you need a little refresher course:

From the Terms of Use...

"You agree, through your use of the Discussion Forums, that you will not post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

In this particular case, I believe your remark out of the blue about me is patently "Harassing," possibly seen as "abusive" by the receiving party, and provoking of an argument. Further, IMO, it is meant to be "defamatory" to me, and given the intentional nature of it also "harassing" and confrontational, at minimum and possibly "hateful," as well.

Hypocrisy is the worst, isn't it!

(Uh, oh, maybe a "thread lock" is in order soon, as your "debates" always end??)

Last edited by SoCal240/6; 11-21-2002 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 06:54 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6

Also, please don't flatter him by suggesting that he has successfully mimicked me. His "trying too hard attempt" of putting two cars together that look nothing alike, and the absolutely nonsensical "Now with Hyundai" text, lack any wit and is, quite frankly, kind of an embarrasing attempt.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by SoCal240/6
Such remarks and personal attacks are not very becoming of our esteemed "moderator," are they?

Looks like you need a little refresher course:

From the Terms of Use...

"You agree, through your use of the Discussion Forums, that you will not post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

In this particular case, I believe your remark out of the blue about me is patently "Harassing," possibly seen as "abusive" by the receiving party, and provoking of an argument. Further, IMO, it is meant to be "defamatory" to me, and given the intentional nature of it also "harassing" and confrontational, at minimum and possibly "hateful," as well.

Hypocrisy is the worst, isn't it!

(Uh, oh, maybe a "thread lock" is in order soon, as your "debates" always end??)
Harassing? Why? Just an assessment. You are in the spotlight today - might as well enjoy it.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
SoCal, re-read my post. I didn't call you a village idiot. That would be name-calling, which we don't allow on MBWorld. Instead, I said you "act like the village idiot." Being the self-proclaimed linguistics expert that you are, I'm a bit surprised you didn't notice the difference.

You do not hold an exclusive franchise here for the use of "subtle" semantics...

Last edited by MB-BOB; 11-21-2002 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-21-2002, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by vadim
Harassing? Why? Just an assessment. You are in the spotlight today - might as well enjoy it.
HEY, I WANT MY 15 MINUTES OF FAME.

He's already had plenty.:p
Old 11-21-2002, 09:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Also, please don't flatter him by suggesting that he has successfully mimicked me. His "trying too hard attempt" of putting two cars together that look nothing alike, and the absolutely nonsensical "Now with Hyundai" text, lack any wit and is, quite frankly, kind of an embarrasing attempt.
Flatter? wow, i never felt that way but since u brought it up i guess i am flattered.
The 2 cars look nothing alike? on other threads people with c240s actually admitted that their car does look like a Hyundai. (Are you ashamed?) There is absolutly no difference in comparing the c230 vs. corrado and comparing the c240 vs. the Hyundai. Even though the Hyundai comes standard with projector headlights!
Can you please explain to me in full detail how that was an embarrasing attempt? maybe for you, but not for me or anyone else.
Old 11-21-2002, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Gas Overflow?

Back to the original thread....I don't think tank venting has anything to do with overflow during filling. That's a problem with your filling station pump cut off. And yes, overfilling can cause saturation of the charcoal canister and give you a 'check engine' light. That's why it is recommended to NOT top off.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Re: Gas Overflow?

Originally posted by mleskovar
Back to the original thread....I don't think tank venting has anything to do with overflow during filling. That's a problem with your filling station pump cut off. And yes, overfilling can cause saturation of the charcoal canister and give you a 'check engine' light. That's why it is recommended to NOT top off.
I am glad we are back to the topic. i would feel alot better knowing that it was the gas station and not my car. it is very well possible that it is the gas station because i never go anywhere else but that one station. Now i will go elsewhere. The only thing i find strange is that its a brand new gas station well about 6 months old but still new, and i bring my other car there all the time also (CLK430) and i never had such a problem. My sister and friend go there and they also said they never had a problem. What i will do next is go to a different staton befire i bring it to the dealer and see how it goes.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Re: signature class

... dont worry the sig is only temporary, i may take it away tomorrow.
NOOOOOO!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Overflow.....

This is not a filling station problem necessarily but definitely a pump problem. The individual pumps are supposed to shut off with backpressure.
Car gas tanks are not vented to the atmosphere.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:12 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
SoCal, re-read my post. I didn't call you a village idiot. That would be name-calling, which we don't allow on MBWorld. Instead, I said you "act like the village idiot." Being the self-proclaimed linguistics expert that you are, I'm a bit surprised you didn't notice the difference.

You do not hold an exclusive franchise here for the use of "subtle" semantics...
I understand the difference. My post is equally relevant under either. Re-read my post with your interpretation to prove it to yourself.

Your actions certainly are not becoming of a moderator, and are also contrary to your purported goal of "building camaraderie" here.

Last edited by SoCal240/6; 11-22-2002 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:17 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
There is absolutly no difference in comparing the c230 vs. corrado and comparing the c240 vs. the Hyundai. Even though the Hyundai comes standard with projector headlights!
Can you please explain to me in full detail how that was an embarrasing attempt? maybe for you, but not for me or anyone else.
Even assuming there were a similarity in the look of the 2 cars (and there isn't), there is a big difference. The MB came first. Lots of car companies copy MB designs - MB can't help that.

The MB Hatchback is a cosmetic replica (looks almost exactly the same, as the pics clearly show) and mechanical replica (1.8 liter, 4 cylinder supercharged, 0-60 in 7.5 seconds) of a 13 year old VW.

There's the difference.

I personally would be embarrassed by your attempt because it lacks wit, for the reasons I already gave you, and is "trying too hard." We understandably hold ourselves to different standards, so I can see how YOU wouldn't be embarrassed by your effort. For example, you are apparently not embarrased at all by your 6th grade level mastery of basic English skills and grammar (it's "couple," not "cupple" for God's sake!). I would be extremely embarrassed by that. Fortunately from you, your level of intelligence and education serves to insulate you from being embarrassed from such things.

Last edited by SoCal240/6; 11-22-2002 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Your actions certainly are not becoming of a moderator, and are also contrary to your purported goal of "building camaraderie" here.
If attempting to put someone who acts like an outsider in his place, in order to help dozens of others feel better that action (they request) is being taken, then I can't think of a better definition of "building camaraderie."

That you are made to feel the object of such activity is entirely your own making, due in part because you elect not to receive PMs or e-mails. I would prefer to conduct such communications off the public forums, but that is not possible with you.

I think you will find that if you are nice with people, others will find it easier to be nice to you. But you already know that.

You've been here since the forum began a year ago. I prefer to think that you're simply bored with the proceedings around here, and that by serving as a community lightening rod, you can somehow liven-up your interest in these forums. In reality, however, you do so at the expense of alienating yourself from a growing number of the membership. Months ago, you used to be quite agreeable...

Last edited by MB-BOB; 11-22-2002 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:37 PM

Bob, don't waste your time..

SoCal240/6,

I don't agree with most of the things you post. But that's not what bothers me-- it is how malicious you are about it. I don't mind my coupe being compared to the Corrado. I liked that car. But for you to intend to insult people by saying it is just annoying and really takes away from a good forum.

It cracks me up that you are so sensitive about the 240. You should be able to take it if you are going to dish it out...

'Hypocrisy is the worst, isn't it!'
Old 11-22-2002, 02:47 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Re: Bob, don't waste your time..

Originally posted by kompress
SoCal240/6,

It cracks me up that you are so sensitive about the 240. You should be able to take it if you are going to dish it out...

'Hypocrisy is the worst, isn't it!'
I'd LOVE for you to demonstrate where I have ever shown that I have been "sensitive about the 240."

Nothing could be further from the truth - unlike many here, I can accept things for what they are. I've never said that the 240 is anything other than what it is: A nice, smooth driving, mildly powered car with adequate acceleration, and with average or below average quality control and reliability. As a thinking person, I really cannot demonstate a "sensitivity" towards a mechanical object. It simply is what it is.

So, please show me some good examples of what you are talking about.

Like so many, in order to try to defeat me in an argument, you have to distort the truth and set up a "straw man" to defeat. Mike T. used to try that, but was so easily exposed he had the sense to finally quit it. I guess you haven't quite yet learned.

Last edited by SoCal240/6; 11-22-2002 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:58 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
If attempting to put someone who acts like an outsider in his place, in order to help dozens of others feel better that action (they request) is being taken, then I can't think of a better definition of "building camaraderie."

That you are made to feel the object of such activity is entirely your own making, due in part because you elect not to receive PMs or e-mails. I would prefer to conduct such communications off the public forums, but that is not possible with you.

I think you will find that if you are nice with people, others will find it easier to be nice to you. But you already know that.

You've been here since the forum began a year ago. I prefer to think that you're simply bored with the proceedings around here, and that by serving as a community lightening rod, you can somehow liven-up your interest in these forums. In reality, however, you do so at the expense of alienating yourself from a growing number of the membership. Months ago, you used to be quite agreeable...
Well, if childish personal attacks on a board forum by a moderator is your idea of "building camaraderie," then I guess we just have different views on the role of a moderator, and we cannot come to an agreement on that issue.

I don't need you to personally attack me in an e-mail - its fine to do it here where everyone can see. That's one of the reasons I prefer to not receive random e-mails from BB participants - too many nuts and "off the record" communcations are not necessary.

You are right, I've been here longer than just about everyone. I'm not trying to serve as a lightening rod, but I am offended by gross distortions of reality (my Hatchback is faster than an S2000!) and simply strive to educate with facts. I also enjoy the exercise of logical debate, although many here don't have the capacity for that (I don't include you in that group).

Last edited by SoCal240/6; 11-22-2002 at 03:02 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas Thank Overflowed Today!