C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

M271 2003-2005 C230 guys go to the dealer now free work/recall

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
The "owner of the shop" thats gets business from the used car dealer is likely bias,... as is the MB Stealership that wants $3600 of work.

Personally,... I would take the used car dealership up on getting a full-refund. Unless, the used car dealership is willing to pay for all the repairs now and back it up with a 12 months warrantee,... so that the engine warning lights doesn't come on,... and I don't mean just "clear it".

Once any car has engine problems,... it could snowball and get very expensive down the line,... especially Mercedes. The previous owner sold this car for a reason. If you look, I'm sure you'll find another C230 coupe for sale,.... without the engine warning light problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompressor
Thanks SunnyRayToronto I took your advice and accepted the offer from the dealer. I got my daughter a BMW 320i yesterday, appears to be a great car and after my experience with three MB's now, I will not consider the brand in the future. However, I will write to MB Canada about the experience with the C230 since it would seem that the problem identified by the dealer has nothing to with normal wear but is a flaw in the design. I own several cars including an Aston Martin, 2 BMW's, Mustang and I recently parted with a Jaguar that I owned for several years and have never had a more uninspiring experience than I have with all of the MB's.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:08 AM

2003 C230K Sedan
I also just took my car into the dealership last friday for the camshaft solenoid and wiring harness recall. The SA at my local dealership informed me that it is an "open" campaign, but not sure how long it will remain so. For those of you who haven't taken your car in yet, I'd suggest doing it asap; gogo!

I've had my CEL on since January and apparently it was because I had an oil leak coming from the faulty solenoid that was running along the wiring harness and into the O2 sensors. My SA was pretty cool and was able to hook me up with 2 brand new O2 sensor modules to be covered under the recall as long as i gave him a 10 on the customer satisfaction review lucky me.

The work done looks exactly like the pictures on ambit's post and the car is running much better now
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 W210 E55 AMG, 1959 W180 220S
they did it for free during my A service without me asking. I was very pleased. I love getting free work. Makes it worth going to the dealer.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:03 PM

2003 C230 Coupe
I unfortunately am having this problem (2003, c230 lemon), but being in Canada, no luck getting the work done free. E-mailed MB Canada about it, they said no Canadian recall.

Wondering if a drive down to the states to get it done at a US dealership will work? A couple hour drive could save me a couple grand. Anyone know if this works?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:32 AM

2005 c230 k (W203)
Awesome! Thanks for the info! I have a 2005 c230 which had only 15,000 on it when i bought it last year. Ive had no problems, but the CEL recently came on. Went in to Flagship Mercedes Benz (Lynnfield, MA) and asked if the recall work had been done on my car yet, he checked and there were two open recalls. Bringing it in tuesday to have the work done! Hopefullly this fixes my CEL
Thanks again for the heads up!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:01 AM

2003 C230 Kompressor Sedan
I'm taking mine in to get Camshaft Solenoid replaced!! I'm def going Japanese after I get rid of this piece of crap! nothing but problems. I just recently found out I need an AC Compressor......anyone else had this issue?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 W210 E55 AMG, 1959 W180 220S
jap cars are a lot cheaper to maintain. I've always had nissans before this and never had problems. The MB dealer treats me well with free recalls and free rental cars, but i pay soo much to go there. Also get a CEL ~500 miles after i get it back almost every time.

Last time they forgot a gasket on my thermostat so it wasn't warming up fast enough, I fixed it then fine till the next service. Now i'm getting 170 for MAF, which my car is about due for, but its always right after the service.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:08 PM

2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor
rough idle and A/C compressor

Originally Posted by JAMAICANPIE
I'm taking mine in to get Camshaft Solenoid replaced!! I'm def going Japanese after I get rid of this piece of crap! nothing but problems. I just recently found out I need an AC Compressor......anyone else had this issue?
@jamaicanpie I just had mine replaced twice in the past 30 days.
PepBoys did the repair and the second time, they nicely let me know that they won't touch it again and I have to take somewhere else, at least i got my $40 worth out of my warranty

apparently the second time they found a beefier part that won't break as easily but the part didn't fit? made for the vehicle but mere millimeters too long. so they had to order the same gimped part that broke before.

the car has always had a low idle problem and growls when putting it into reverse or drive (~700rpms) but with the A/C on high it drops too low (600rpms) and shakes hard while the A/C causes it to chirp and squeal loudly with the new A/C compressor. it did that for two weeks before it died again, what ever connects it to the belt just fell off for the second time.

when i picked up my car today, it squeeked and chirped as i put it into gear so i quickly got the mechanic to look. he made me feel like i won an award for solving such a huge mystery. somehow the car is idling low and really low when i turn on the A/C and the engine vibrates badly while causing the auto tensioner to jump causing everything to rattle and squeek. which in the past was enough pressure to break the A/C compressor.

when researching in forums about the rough idle of the car it seems like there is such a complicated process to fixing it. has anybody tried just changing something to make it idle higher than 600-800rpms?

maybe i'm oversimplifying it, but after i find out if my car has been serviced for the above mentioned campaign/recall, i'm checking into adjusting its idle.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
Clearly, your non-MB dealer did not resolve the issue and sold the car to you anyways. Why would you even consider another used car from this used car dealer?

Check with your local state/provincial laws on refund/returns on used cars brought from used car dealers.

The "Cam Solenoid recall" being discussed here is more of a preventative maintenance for 271 engines. On yours the damage have already started,... so I'm not sure if MB would cover that. What MB-USA is covering now is parts and labour on the "Cam Solenoid recall". MB-Canada doesn't have the recall yet. Also, when it comes to non-emergency recalls, Mercedes-Benz Canada tends to issue them about a year after Mercedes-Benz USA,... if enough people complains.

In addition, your 2002 C230 shouldn't have the 271 engine with cam solenoid recall issues.
I called MB-Canada today about my 2002 C230 and they do not recognize the Campaign # 2009100001 Cam Solenoid recall. Has anyone in Canada successfully got MB-Canada to cover the cost of fixing this issue? Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 PM

05 c230k 6spd
I did the recall today because my car had issues with a rough idle and 2 weeks ago the check engine light on and trew like 10 codes.. i changed spark plugs fuel filter that didnt fix the idle but the little hose fixed it and it idles real smooth now im happy.. other then the mb dealership curbing my rim a bit lol
Old 08-30-2010, 06:44 PM

2003 c-230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by SKMP
I called MB-Canada today about my 2002 C230 and they do not recognize the Campaign # 2009100001 Cam Solenoid recall. Has anyone in Canada successfully got MB-Canada to cover the cost of fixing this issue? Thanks!
Working on it as we speak.... so far they are offering up $2000 on a $6500 job... I'm still pushing, how can they accept responsibility on 66K US units but tell me that because I live in Canada tough luck.....

If we can get 50+ people in canada who are or have experienced the same issue then we have leverage, otherwise it's each man/woman for himself... you'd think they would fix it to shut us up and maybe have us buy another MB... I'm kicking myself for not sticking with BMW.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 PM

2003 c-230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by Sportrider
I just purchased a 2002 C230 Kompressor Coupe for my daughter from a non-MB branded import car dealer. The check engine light came on after two days of driving and when I called one of the MB Dealers the Serive Advisor indicated that the Cam Solenoid oil leak into the wiring harness had been identified as a problem prior by the MB dealer and that the cost to repair would be $3,600 Cdn. A second opinion sought by the selling dealer indicated a couple of minor issues and did not result in the same conclusion. The check engine codes were cleared and car returned prior to my purchase of the vehicle. I have expressed my concern to the selling dealer and they have offered to replace the vehicle but I like the car and I am surprised that MB is not fixing this problem. After owning two MB's (E430 & ML) previously that were purchased new and not kept beyond the warranty period due to a miriad of problems and arrogant Service Advisors, I am not surprised that MB does not stand behind its product. I there a less expensive fix in Canada or has MB Canada indicated it is prepared to resolve the issue? I am trying to decide whether to take the offer from the dealer.

Update?????

Dealing with this in canada now... want to see how many others are and what solutions MBC was willing to offer up...
Old 09-04-2010, 09:57 AM

C230
Originally Posted by klappy
@jamaicanpie I just had mine replaced twice in the past 30 days.
PepBoys did the repair and the second time, they nicely let me know that they won't touch it again and I have to take somewhere else, at least i got my $40 worth out of my warranty

apparently the second time they found a beefier part that won't break as easily but the part didn't fit? made for the vehicle but mere millimeters too long. so they had to order the same gimped part that broke before.

the car has always had a low idle problem and growls when putting it into reverse or drive (~700rpms) but with the A/C on high it drops too low (600rpms) and shakes hard while the A/C causes it to chirp and squeal loudly with the new A/C compressor. it did that for two weeks before it died again, what ever connects it to the belt just fell off for the second time.

when i picked up my car today, it squeeked and chirped as i put it into gear so i quickly got the mechanic to look. he made me feel like i won an award for solving such a huge mystery. somehow the car is idling low and really low when i turn on the A/C and the engine vibrates badly while causing the auto tensioner to jump causing everything to rattle and squeek. which in the past was enough pressure to break the A/C compressor.

when researching in forums about the rough idle of the car it seems like there is such a complicated process to fixing it. has anybody tried just changing something to make it idle higher than 600-800rpms?

maybe i'm oversimplifying it, but after i find out if my car has been serviced for the above mentioned campaign/recall, i'm checking into adjusting its idle.
I agree with adjusting the idle up a few hundred rpms...

It seems a few of us are having this issue...
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ompressor.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...1-8l-c230.html
Old 10-26-2010, 08:23 AM

C230
Originally Posted by Bogger
Update?????

Dealing with this in canada now... want to see how many others are and what solutions MBC was willing to offer up...
My dealer just replaced the camshaft solenoid for free. Maybe, because I had no issue yet?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Umustdv8
My dealer just replaced the camshaft solenoid for free. Maybe, because I had no issue yet?
Are you in Canada dealing with Mercedes Benz Canada (MBC)? If so, what is the Mercedes Benz Canada campaign recall number for this Cam Solenoid issue? (it should be on the invoice).
Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 AM

One more question,... which Mercedes-Benz Canada dealer did you go to? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 AM

C230
Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
One more question,... which Mercedes-Benz Canada dealer did you go to? Thanks.
I'm in Boca Raton, Florida.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
12 E350 4Matic Sport
This has nothing to do with a 2004 C240 4-Matic, does it? Sorry for the newbness!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:24 PM

2004 C230
Yours is a 2004, and it was taken care of for free? Did anyone here have this luck? Mine (an '04 C230 with a 271) is at the dealership now, and they're charging me $360 for it. I see on the nhtsa.gov site that the 12/1/09 service bulletin indicated a need to replace the solenoids, but I guess they're leaving it up to the consumer to pay for it?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 PM

05 c230K
Originally Posted by sheri_ann
Yours is a 2004, and it was taken care of for free? Did anyone here have this luck? Mine (an '04 C230 with a 271) is at the dealership now, and they're charging me $360 for it. I see on the nhtsa.gov site that the 12/1/09 service bulletin indicated a need to replace the solenoids, but I guess they're leaving it up to the consumer to pay for it?
Mine is a 2005 c230 and I didn't have to pay anything. It was covered under the recall
Old 01-10-2011, 01:06 PM

2004 C230
My SA said he ran my VIN, and the only recall was for the hose (from the beginning of this thread, which I had replaced last year) and that the other did not apply to my car/repair. I tried calling MB USA to ask them to add my VIN, like they recommended in another one of these threads, but the lady said I'd have to ask the service manager to "work with me" and see if they'd agree to cover it. I am so frustrated with Mercedes right now...
Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM

c230
Thanks for the help, my car CEL and riding bad. Called the dealer and my car be in the shop next week
Old 01-22-2011, 03:14 PM

'03 c230k ss
Originally Posted by sheri_ann
My SA said he ran my VIN, and the only recall was for the hose (from the beginning of this thread, which I had replaced last year) and that the other did not apply to my car/repair. I tried calling MB USA to ask them to add my VIN, like they recommended in another one of these threads, but the lady said I'd have to ask the service manager to "work with me" and see if they'd agree to cover it. I am so frustrated with Mercedes right now...

if you are talking about recall 2009100001 (cam solenoid recall campaign), I'd question him again or call another dealer and have the SA run your vin again.

recall, from what I understand, covers from 2001-04 model.
your vehicle should be covered under the recall if you have a 2004 c230k.

I just got this done less then two weeks ago. actually I had another problem with my car and had to have repairs done and my dealership did the recall without ever asking/telling me about it.

I picked my car up, didn't even know about it until I went home to read through my receipt after feeling taken advantage of(as usual after getting work done at the stealership).

I have an 03'. luckily mine never leaked all these years. never knew about the recall or would have taken it in sooner. got lucky this time...

anyway, good luck.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 PM

2003 c230 kompressor, 1997 jaguar xk8
Im in Canada, just took my 03 c230 in. Recall covered the vacuum hose but no luck on the cam solenoids.Told its 2500$ to do the whole job including wiring harness

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: M271 2003-2005 C230 guys go to the dealer now free work/recall