C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

No fiber optic cable????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that red one
No fiber optic cable????

Ok, so now I've taken my car to 2 places to have my OEM 6 disk changer installed and BOTH guys are telling me that my car does not have the fiber optic cable and they're telling me that they've NEVER seen an 05 C320 not have the fiber optic cable. Am I like the only person who owns this car and doesn't have this already pre-wired?? How is this possible? I'm getting really angry....

Wendy
Old 03-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
I thought you were taking it to the stealership?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:29 PM

that red one
Originally Posted by e1000
I thought you were taking it to the stealership?
I was going to but the dealership (which happens to be directly across the street from where I work) quoted me $375 to do the install. So, I did a search and found several independant places. One being a mobile service that was going to charge $40.00 - he took everything apart and told me that my car is missing something like the power plug and/or fiber optic cable so he referred me to another place and I took it there today and they took it apart and said that they couldn't do it either and that it was missing the same thing...so I called the dealership again, and the parts guy ran the VIN # and said that it needs the fiber optic cable. I got so frustrated I told the installer guy to call the parts guys at the dealership and find out exactly what the cars needs....I don't know who is the bigger moron - the installer or the parts guy. Because the parts guy is just a parts guy, he hasn't looked internally into the car so he doesn't know what the "part" looks like so when the installer tried to explain what the car was missing, it came out like chicken scratch....right now all I know is that both installer guys said that I'd be better off taking the car to the service department and have one of the mechanics look at it and tell me exactly what it is that my car needs....can't wait to find out how much that is going to cost....I'm so pissed. Something that seemed so easy to do has now turned into a whole drama...

Aren't you glad you asked Eric???
Old 03-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
e-mail Steve (info@mbenznl.com), he's coming to LA in two weeks and he can probably get you set up with (and install) everything you need! you can even have him put in an MP3 CD changer.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

actually, here's the website and contact:

http://www.mbenznl.nl/index.php?opti...ntact&Itemid=3
Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 PM

C230 coupe, nothing special :)
When I get home I will post the cable part# for you. I have it written down.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 PM

that red one
Originally Posted by nlpamg
e-mail Steve (info@mbenznl.com), he's coming to LA in two weeks and he can probably get you set up with everything you need! you can even have him put in an MP3 CD changer.
Thanx Phil-the one that I bought has the MP3 set up as well. I bought it from forum member MikeSSw20 (who is terrific by the way )

I will email Steve though and tell him about my dilema.

The million dollar question is, does the fiber optic cable have a power plug as well or are they separate parts? The installer guys don't know - they said that the service dept. (mechanic) person would know and the dealership said that they charge $125 an hr. so even if it takes them 10 minutes to determine what the car needs, I'll be charged a min. of $125.

The car has everything else internally, phone and Navi, but no cables for cd changer???

And so many of you wonderful guys suggested that I could install this myself

I swear I'm going to hurt someone...

Wendy
Old 03-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

np Wendy.

that is REALLY weird, b/c I believe that in 2005, the C320 came with Harmon/Kardon standard. So, it's my understanding that it would absolutely need that cable to talk to the amp. perhaps the previous owner put in an aftermarket system and they re-routed the electronics?
Old 03-12-2008, 06:56 PM

that red one
Originally Posted by Coupe's_FTW!
When I get home I will post the cable part# for you. I have it written down.
Thank you...it's greatly appreciated.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230K '10 GLK350 '13 SMART
Originally Posted by itswindee
Thanx Phil-the one that I bought has the MP3 set up as well. I bought it from forum member MikeSSw20 (who is terrific by the way )

I will email Steve though and tell him about my dilema.

The million dollar question is, does the fiber optic cable have a power plug as well or are they separate parts? The installer guys don't know - they said that the service dept. (mechanic) person would know and the dealership said that they charge $125 an hr. so even if it takes them 10 minutes to determine what the car needs, I'll be charged a min. of $125.

The car has everything else internally, phone and Navi, but no cables for cd changer???

And so many of you wonderful guys suggested that I could install this myself

I swear I'm going to hurt someone...

Wendy
Thanks! these guys here don't like me much j/k

Sorry to hear all the troubles you are going through for a simple mod.
Fiber optic and power cable are 2 separate plugs into the changer.
Best bet is to have Steve do it since he is making a trip here soon.
Feel free to call me again if you have any further questions.
Just don't hurt me
Old 03-12-2008, 07:13 PM

that red one
Originally Posted by nlpamg
np Wendy.

that is REALLY weird, b/c I believe that in 2005, the C320 came with Harmon/Kardon standard. So, it's my understanding that it would absolutely need that cable to talk to the amp. perhaps the previous owner put in an aftermarket system and they re-routed the electronics?
I know! And it does have the Harmon Kardon sound system. At least that is what the spec sheet read that Fletcher Jones gave me. This is all SO confusing to me anyway, plugs, cables, bla bla bla....all I wanted was a disk changer, now I've got a headache from 2 installer yelling at me telling me that my car does not have what it's suppose to have!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:17 PM

that red one
Originally Posted by MiKeSSw203

Just don't hurt me
Nahhhh Mike, you were terrific....not your fault at all and thanks for not hanging up on me when I called you!

I'll talk to this fellow Steve (whoever that is) and fill him in on what all the trouble is and see what he says, so I'm not going to return the unit until I know for a fact that it can't be installed.

Wen
Old 03-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
yes I'm glad I asked.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 PM

that red one
Ok, so now I've taken my car to 2 places to have my OEM 6 disk changer installed and BOTH guys are telling me that my car does not have the fiber optic cable and they're telling me that they've NEVER seen an 05 C320 not have the fiber optic cable. Am I like the only person who owns this car and doesn't have this already pre-wired?? How is this possible? I'm getting really angry....

Wendy
After picking up my car from the 2nd installers place of business, he tells me that he talked to a buddy of his and says that my car needs a "wiring harness". WTF is that????? And that it costs about $1000

I've already sent an email to Steve - just waiting for his response...

Now, I KNOW I'm gonna have to hurt someone I just can't catch a break today

Wendy
Old 03-12-2008, 10:14 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if you don't have the fiber optic cable it's a seperate part #. you need a power cable as well to connect it to the head unit.

The whole CD-changer plus install shouldn't take you more than $450 which is what I paid back in late 02. The price didn't change much on these parts I believe.

just talk to Steve and find out what you need. you can ignore the installer telling you need this and that.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:19 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by MiKeSSw203

Just don't hurt me
not as much trouble as I went through to put in a simple AUX connector.

took apart the passenger side and realize the car isn't pre-wired for AUX. took apart the center console and realize I need new terminals for the C2 connector. put everything back, went to the dealership the next day and found out the little tiny terminal cost me $4 each and I needed 4. got home took apart the center console again and finally got it done in less than 15min.

2 days vs 15min priceless.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
you don't need part number... if you just bring your CD changer to the dealer and ask them for fiber optic cable, they will bring you one right away for 30bux
Old 03-12-2008, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
All 2005 C230's have an optic cable. It is part of the MOST system. All of the audio is integrated through an optical loop. It is orange and everything has to be connected in proper order.

I have the phone, sirius, cd changer, and the navigation system..all integrated through the optical loop.

The places that you took your car to are on crack..
Old 03-13-2008, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Hello,

You might take another look under the carpet on the right side of the center console. Just peel it back. You should see a gaggle of bright orange fiber optic cables. They are all labeled with a tag telling its function. Can you find one that is not connected labeled CDC? That means Compact Disk Changer.

If you find that, your car is prewired.

You do need to play do-se-doh with the fiber optics to get the changer into the MOST ring sucessfully. I found that on some cars the power cable for the CDC is stored neatly with ty-wraps to the harness behind the head unit. You simply cut the ty-wrap and set the pigtail free. You feed it into the glove box to plug into the CDC. Attach the fiber optics so SOUND is connected to HU/CDC IN. Then remove the other end of the HU/CDC IN cable from the back of the head unit, and insert it into the input of the CDC. You will find in that area a short orange fiber optic cable with a 2 position housing on one end, and just the fiber optic ferrule (black plastic) at the other end. The end you removed from the HU goes in the empty spot on the 2 position housing.

Then put the short cable into the housing on the HU where you took one out. The light will exit the head unit on the cable you did not move, and run down the fiber to the amp. The amp will read the light beam and send it back on the other fiber to the CDC. The CDC will look at the light and send it back on the other fiber to the head unit. Now that is why it is a MOST ring. If you have a phone, Sirius, or TeleAid the ring simply stops at more places. If you have finished attaching the fiber optic cables and the power plug to the CDC, then try it. If it sounds good, the steering wheel buttons work, and the cluster displays the title you are golden. Then button everything up.

Now you can enjoy an adult beverage and admire your work.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 AM

that red one
Originally Posted by capt_paul
All 2005 C230's have an optic cable. It is part of the MOST system. All of the audio is integrated through an optical loop. It is orange and everything has to be connected in proper order.

I have the phone, sirius, cd changer, and the navigation system..all integrated through the optical loop.

The places that you took your car to are on crack..
Thank you for your response Capt Paul - I don't know if it makes a difference in your response, but I have a c320, not a c230 and on top of that, I had my service guy run my VIN # and he also confimred that the car DOES NOT have a fiber optic cable....although I will agree with you on the possibility that both installers could have have been on some sort of illegal substance
Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 AM

that red one
Originally Posted by FrankW
if you don't have the fiber optic cable it's a seperate part #. you need a power cable as well to connect it to the head unit.

The whole CD-changer plus install shouldn't take you more than $450 which is what I paid back in late 02. The price didn't change much on these parts I believe.

just talk to Steve and find out what you need. you can ignore the installer telling you need this and that.
Thanx Frank....before I start ordering parts, I just need a "mechanical/technical" person who isn't going to charge me an arm & a leg to open the thing up, look at the internals and tell me exactly what it is that I need to get...

I will check in the morning to see if Steve has responded to my email.

I actually have to take my car in to the stealership tomorrow morning -my air conditioner is making a slight whistling sound. If it's not one thing, it's another
Old 03-13-2008, 01:31 AM

that red one
Originally Posted by Moviela
Hello,

You might take another look under the carpet on the right side of the center console. Just peel it back. You should see a gaggle of bright orange fiber optic cables. They are all labeled with a tag telling its function. Can you find one that is not connected labeled CDC? That means Compact Disk Changer.

If you find that, your car is prewired.

You do need to play do-se-doh with the fiber optics to get the changer into the MOST ring sucessfully. I found that on some cars the power cable for the CDC is stored neatly with ty-wraps to the harness behind the head unit. You simply cut the ty-wrap and set the pigtail free. You feed it into the glove box to plug into the CDC. Attach the fiber optics so SOUND is connected to HU/CDC IN. Then remove the other end of the HU/CDC IN cable from the back of the head unit, and insert it into the input of the CDC. You will find in that area a short orange fiber optic cable with a 2 position housing on one end, and just the fiber optic ferrule (black plastic) at the other end. The end you removed from the HU goes in the empty spot on the 2 position housing.

Then put the short cable into the housing on the HU where you took one out. The light will exit the head unit on the cable you did not move, and run down the fiber to the amp. The amp will read the light beam and send it back on the other fiber to the CDC. The CDC will look at the light and send it back on the other fiber to the head unit. Now that is why it is a MOST ring. If you have a phone, Sirius, or TeleAid the ring simply stops at more places. If you have finished attaching the fiber optic cables and the power plug to the CDC, then try it. If it sounds good, the steering wheel buttons work, and the cluster displays the title you are golden. Then button everything up.

Now you can enjoy an adult beverage and admire your work.
Umm, Moviela? You LOST me after: Hello
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about ie: HU, MOST, CDC but thank you for very detailed instructions....perhaps they will help someone else who is more mechanically inclined. But thank you again.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:10 AM

that red one
I just pulled out my spec sheet....

COMFORT & CONVENIENCE
12 speaker Harman/Kardon Logic7 Premium Sound & Digital Sound.
Single disc CD/AM/FM/Weatherband Radio.

If it has digital sound wouldn't that mean that it has the fiber optic cable already installed?

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT it
Std. Cell Phone Prewiring
Radio Audio 20 w/SIngle CD

When the installer guys took everything apart they said that it also has the prewiring for Navi as well, why wouldn't that be listed in the optional equipment section of the spec sheet?

Very confused...sorry for the ranting again
Old 03-13-2008, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
... You LOST me after: Hello
Well, that is a switch for me. Usually I have them at "Hello..."

Pardon me for rambling on a bit, but I wanted to include what to look for should someone in the future search the forum with a similar dilema in search of an answer. I know I don't like to wade through a thread that states a problem, but gives no advice beyond "see the dealer." That is almost as bad as "Reload Windows."

Steve will be able to help you. A terrific fella who knows more about these cars than Herr Benz himself.

I used initials that are attached to items in technical publications. I should explain what each means. Most Americans don't even know what that little plastic thing on the end of a shoe lace is called. (Aglet)

HU is Head Unit, the part in the dash with the radio, display, and single disk player.

MOST is Media Oriented System Transport. This is the standard used by car manufacturers to move data over fiber optic cables from device to device in the entertainment system.

CDC is the Compact Disk Changer. This is mounted in the glove box and holds a number of compact disks that can be selected automatically like a juke box.

I hope you are enjoying motoring pleasure very soon with your new CDC (which is one of the buttons on your HU)
Old 03-13-2008, 06:06 AM

2007 C230SS
FrankW
do you have pics or part numbers for the terminals ? I have an 07C230ss and of course this one didn't include this white aux connect. I removed the pass kick panel and searched everywhere.

"not as much trouble as I went through to put in a simple AUX connector.

took apart the passenger side and realize the car isn't pre-wired for AUX. took apart the center console and realize I need new terminals for the C2 connector. put everything back, went to the dealership the next day and found out the little tiny terminal cost me $4 each and I needed 4. got home took apart the center console again and finally got it done in less than 15min."

Thank you
dirt diggler

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No fiber optic cable????