C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Refreshening due for MY'04

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Unhappy Refreshening due for MY'04

Hi Folks,
This is my first post. I have a 2002 325xi, 5sp which I will be trading for a C240 4 Matic (Launch Sunroof Package, Xenons, V60Motorola). However, I just read in Autoweek online that the C-Class is now due for a "refreshening" for the '04Model Year!
Does anyone out there knows more concrete about what this "refreshening" will entail? I'm paranoid that the 2004 will look different outside, making my 2003 look, well, "outdated" (Kind of like MY01-02 for the 3series sedan - front and rear fascia resign). Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Martin-
Old 12-11-2002, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Well, the exterior differences will be small

If you need a model for how MB handles these mid-life facelifts, look at the changes in the W210 E class or the W202 C class - different wheels, new valances, a little different bumper look, new colors, etc. Just enough so that the car doesn't look completely unchanged for its entire 6-7 year model run.

Much more interesting is that '04 will bring some new engines - the C350 will probably be the top of the line, with new 4-valve heads replacing the 3-valves. What the displacement of the entry level engine [currently 2.6] will be is up for grabs.

I presume the '04 will also get the single-slot CD as standard replacing the cassette, with the changer continuing to be an option.

How much any of this matters to you, is of course, purely personal. The things that will change will be numerous but minor in terms of how the car looks from 50 feet away...again, refer to the difference between a '94-96 C and the '97-'00 models, to get a clue....or for that matter, look at the facelift that BMW gave the 3er recently...same principle.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:52 PM

Are u people serious that the Cclass will change it looks in 2004?
Cause I just brought my 2003 C320. I thought most benz model last about 7 -8 years?
Old 12-11-2002, 11:49 PM

'03 c320wz
if it does change, its a slight change. like he said take a look at the 3 series, they changed the front lights, back lights, the side marker, and i think bumpers? hopefully its just colors and the cd player nothing else. and hopefully it gets uglier instead of better looking
Old 12-11-2002, 11:50 PM

It's just a facelift, not a totally different look. So dont' worry!
Old 12-12-2002, 12:01 AM

intakex and vyse

Thankx guys cause I was worried.
Afraid that my car will be outdate.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:14 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
not to rain on you, but why would you trade a 325XI for a C240 4matic????

IMO the 325XI is a much better car than the C240 (no offense to anyone). it has more power and better performance.

anyway...04 is too early even for a facelift...end of 04 is more like it.
nowaday, manufacturer are getting faster and faster to facelift their cars.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by FrankW

IMO the 325XI is a much better car than the C240 (no offense to anyone). it has more power and better performance.

I agree !
Old 12-12-2002, 09:22 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Frank...

ALL of the available sources, including the German sites, agree that the facelift will come in the '04 model year...10 months hence, more or less.

I just wouldn't make too much of this - the changes will be minor,
and are certainly not going to suddenly make the first three years of production look old or outdated. The possibility of new engine choices is the most intriguing, but this is ongoing with Mercedes...drivetrain evolution is continuous. Look for the six-speed automatic to become standard in a few years time, for example.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:45 AM

02' c230
Take a look at the 03' S-class "facelift" it is so minor I would bet 9 out of 10 would not even realize the difference. I am sure the c would be the same thing.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:31 AM

02' c230
Take a look at the 03' S-class "facelift" it is so minor I would bet 9 out of 10 would not even realize the difference. I am sure the c would be the same thing.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55

anyway...04 is too early even for a facelift...end of 04 is more like it.
nowaday, manufacturer are getting faster and faster to facelift their cars.
I believe the W203 is to run about 5 or 6 years. So the face-lift or 'mid-model' should be the 2004 models. The first 3 years for the W203 are 2001, 2002 & 2003. I have also read that the next "all-new" C-Class may come in 2005 as a 2006 model. So the W203 may only run 5 years.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 12-12-2002 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:15 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Refreshening 325xi v.c2404matic

I did not mean this thread to become a "c240matic v. 325xi" but here are the reasons for the switch:

1-I was initially concerned about the Benz' lower hp output but I've testdriven the 240 4matic many times and, in all honestly, dont find a tremendous difference in power between the two (168 v.184).

2-The benz is quiet and feels very luxurious (factors which I was looking for) and it's got plenty of power for use as a daily driver. Not looking to win any races.

The bimmer is obviously a great car, though it's a tuned more like a sports sedan as evidenced by a slight yet sufficiently noticeable harder/harsher ride in my xi. I also cannot help but feel extremely disappointed at the notion of having to pay extra for leather, power seats, wood trim, rear airbags, armrest, all standard in the benz (yes, yes, i know, the seats have leather "inserts" and the seats are semi-powered, but still).

3-Sick of the "jacked-up" look of the xi (cant be remedied without spending at least $2000 for coilovers)

4-Way, way too many BMWs out there; very few c-class Benzes (they're head turners).

5-very impressed with the quality of the integrated motorola V60 integrated phone system option. I use the phone a lot and Im very excited about having this option when I get my car. Despite the lack of a standard CD player, I love having a phone keypad on the HU. IMO, the current BMW phone option (CPT8000) is dinausoric and dont care for the looks of the Motorola Timeport phone. At least the V60 is a stylish piece and will "age" well.

There may be additional reasons but above are my main ones.

The bottom line is that I hope this C class "refreshening" is no more than very subtle changes, different wheels, cd standard. etc. IMO, the "refreshening" of the 3er sedan for MY02 was more a "partial redesign" on the part of Bangle than a mid term "refreshening"; indeed, the front and rear facia changes on the bimmer were quite significant for a basic midyear "facelift."
Just my 2cents.
Cheers,
Martin-
Old 12-12-2002, 02:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
Re: Refreshening 325xi v.c2404matic

Originally posted by jmartinacevedo
5-very impressed with the quality of the integrated motorola V60 integrated phone system option. I use the phone a lot and Im very excited about having this option when I get my car. Despite the lack of a standard CD player, I love having a phone keypad on the HU. IMO, the current BMW phone option (CPT8000) is dinausoric and dont care for the looks of the Motorola Timeport phone. At least the V60 is a stylish piece and will "age" well.
jmartinacevedo, since you plan on using your phone a lot, you might also seriously consider the voice control option. I believe it is available on the C240.

I probably use the voice control 80% of the time I use the phone.

Admittedly expensive, but I love it.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:25 PM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
MB vs BMW

I too prefer the C over the 3er primarily because of refinement: the C is a quieter, better-riding car, and these qualities more than make up for whatever handling deficit the C has vs the 3er. There are also some mild ergonomic advantages - the trunk is a bit bigger in the C, and the back seat feels marginally roomier, as well.

I've said this in other posts, but for me, it's the difference between a touring sedan and a sports sedan. We wanted the former more than the latter.

And on the topic at hand, I also [see KMan, above] thought of the S class facelift this year as still another example of how subtle these things can be, when viewed strictly from externals. There were literally dozens of new things in the car for '03, lots of small improvements and just some of the usual cosmetic changes, but I too defy the vast majority of current owners to tell the difference. Certainly none of this will affect resale 8 years down the line.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!

How is the BMW a much better car? just because its a little quicker and handles better with agressive driving? that does not make a car much better. Since he is not looking to race its useless to have a car thats rides harsher without other comfort/luxury features. I would take the C240 4matic over a 3 series in a seconed. The C class has alot more comfort features and better safety over the BMW. IMHO if you are not racing like most daily drivers the BMWs slight performance gain is more than useless.

jmartinacevedo- I would not worry if u get your C240 and if they do even change the design the next day, the fact is that if u like the car and its new it will still look good to u and alot of other people. i had the same situation with my CLK430, i could have waited a month for a CLK500 but i decided to get the CLK430, even though they dont look like my car anymore i prefer my choice over the new one. So who knows, even if it was redisigned which would only be slightly u may not like it.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Thumbs up Re: Refreshening 325xi v.c2404matic

Originally posted by jmartinacevedo
I did not mean this thread to become a "c240matic v. 325xi" but here are the reasons for the switch:

1-I was initially concerned about the Benz' lower hp output but I've testdriven the 240 4matic many times and, in all honestly, dont find a tremendous difference in power between the two (168 v.184).

2-The benz is quiet and feels very luxurious (factors which I was looking for) and it's got plenty of power for use as a daily driver. Not looking to win any races.

The bimmer is obviously a great car, though it's a tuned more like a sports sedan as evidenced by a slight yet sufficiently noticeable harder/harsher ride in my xi. I also cannot help but feel extremely disappointed at the notion of having to pay extra for leather, power seats, wood trim, rear airbags, armrest, all standard in the benz (yes, yes, i know, the seats have leather "inserts" and the seats are semi-powered, but still).

3-Sick of the "jacked-up" look of the xi (cant be remedied without spending at least $2000 for coilovers)

4-Way, way too many BMWs out there; very few c-class Benzes (they're head turners).

There may be additional reasons but above are my main ones.

The bottom line is that I hope this C class "refreshening" is no more than very subtle changes, different wheels, cd standard. etc. IMO, the "refreshening" of the 3er sedan for MY02 was more a "partial redesign" on the part of Bangle than a mid term "refreshening"; indeed, the front and rear facia changes on the bimmer were quite significant for a basic midyear "facelift."
Just my 2cents.
Cheers,
Martin-
jmartinacevedo,
Leave it to a Bimmerphile from the dark side to give us a nice, refreshing breath of air. Thank you, kind sir... Just walk toward the light...
Old 12-12-2002, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I too was deciding between the 330 and the C320. I chose the C320 because:

1) BMW 3x's are ALL over the streets. Way too many of them.

2) BMW 3x's look too small for my liking. Their size reminds me of a Miata.

3) Interior of MBW sucks IMO. Small buttons, hard dry console, all make the interior look stingy and cheap.

4) Got a much better deal on MB. The Bimmer dealers wouldn't even budge on their prices.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:42 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
How is the BMW a much better car? just because its a little quicker and handles better with agressive driving? that does not make a car much better. Since he is not looking to race its useless to have a car thats rides harsher without other comfort/luxury features. I would take the C240 4matic over a 3 series in a seconed. The C class has alot more comfort features and better safety over the BMW. IMHO if you are not racing like most daily drivers the BMWs slight performance gain is more than useless.

I forgot to mention that the 3-series also has better built quality. Standard features on the 3 might not be as much as the C, but the price difference makes up for that. A similiarly equipped 325 and a C240's price difference is not that much. The C240 might actually cost more than the 325.

the 325's suspension set up is firmer not harsher. I have couple friends who has 325i. Comparing to the loaner C240 i got from the dealer last time. A 325 is a much better car, doesn't matter how you choose to drive it. Also, i know the 3-series has better built quality because i use to have a 2000 328Ci before i got the current car.

But we are talking about personal taste here. It's up to jmartinacevedo to choose what he want. I'm simply speaking out my personal opinion.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:44 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
325xi/c240 Matic - Model Year 04 changes

Thanks a lot for the input guys. Exactly what I was looking for.
I've been lurking around this board since even before I decided to order the C2404MAtic and have always been very impressed with the camaraderie, the quality of the posts, and the willingness to help new members.

I'm supposed to take delivery this December and I'll post pics thereafter.

To conclude, the bimmer is definitely a nice car (I'll sure miss my M3 steering wheel!) but I am certainly very excited about owning my first Mercedes!
Thanks to all.
Martin-
Old 12-12-2002, 08:46 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by oggle
I too was deciding between the 330 and the C320. I chose the C320 because:

1) BMW 3x's are ALL over the streets. Way too many of them.

2) BMW 3x's look too small for my liking. Their size reminds me of a Miata.

3) Interior of MBW sucks IMO. Small buttons, hard dry console, all make the interior look stingy and cheap.

4) Got a much better deal on MB. The Bimmer dealers wouldn't even budge on their prices.
1,2, and 3 are all personal opinions. I think #4 is the main reason you went with the C320 instead of the 330. when you say something like a "better deal", then it's no longer about your personal taste.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
This 3-series vs. C-class debate is all fine and dandy, but since you already have the 325xi, what about the monetary hit you are going to take by trading it in? It just doesn't seem worth it to me, like you are changing just for the sake of it. Back to your original question...

The C-class will probably not change a whole lot. The bi-xenons were just introduced this year, so you might expect new bumpers, side skirts, and maybe even different rear lights (same shape, but different pattern perhaps) for '04.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
1,2, and 3 are all personal opinions. I think #4 is the main reason you went with the C320 instead of the 330. when you say something like a "better deal", then it's no longer about your personal taste.
Not exactly. #1 is true. Go visit UCI or USC and look at their parking lot. Filled with 325s.

#2, BMWs are in fact smaller.

#3, yup personal taste. But from all of my friends who have seen both, they all seem to agree... even a guy I know who opted with the 330 agrees.

Btw, didn't mention the good of the BMWs. They would be, better handling, more HP, and sportier look right off the bat. But, it's nothing a few mods can't fix.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I TOO chose the C over the 3! The C has a MUCH nicer interior. The C has a much cleaner/sleek exterior. The 3 seems a little busy and more squared off. The new C class is much rarer around these parts vs. the 3, which is everywhere! And the added bonus is driving a "MERCEDES"!
Old 12-13-2002, 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by JustinTRW
This 3-series vs. C-class debate is all fine and dandy, but since you already have the 325xi, what about the monetary hit you are going to take by trading it in? It just doesn't seem worth it to me, like you are changing just for the sake of it.
That's what I was thinking. If it were my money, I wouldn't be able to justify swtiching over to such a similar car, all things considered.

I'm still confused that people view the popularity of the 3 series as a negative. Doesn't that say a lot about how good they are, especially since the c is around the same price range?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Refreshening due for MY'04