C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Driving to Las Vegas on Memorial Weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2008 | 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 CLK320 Vert & 2005 CLK55 AMG
Driving to Las Vegas on Memorial Weekend

Whats up MBWorld,
Ive been reading the forums for awhile but this is my actual first thread posting, learned alot of great info on here...

So as the title says, i was driving to Las Vegas from So Cal 2 weekends ago on Memorial Weekend. I was about 2 miles from the Barstow outlets following a mustang at about 85 mph. The mustang runs over some Tire tread and launches it about 4 feet into the air, i couldnt really do to much cuz there were cars surrounding me and i didnt know where it was gonna land, it came quick and i swerved to the right a lil bit and it hit the driver side of my bumper with a pretty loud bang. I opened my windows to listen if anything was dragging but couldnt hear anything. I drove the 2 miles and exited to check for damage. This is what happened (see pics)

It ripped off the right(driver) side of my CF lip. Half the screws were pulled out. My bumper looked pretty bad and it pulled off the center and right side mesh grill. The lip was dragging, but we couldnt hear it till we were going about 5 mph.

i walked around looking for a way to re fasten the lip, luckily i was with another car, that was able to go to the store.

Out of curiosity, my question to you is:
A: would you have refastened the lip with wire ties and duct tape? or
B: bought a screwdriver and just took the lip off altogether?

I decided to do option B.
Attached Thumbnails Driving to Las Vegas on Memorial Weekend-img00005.jpg   Driving to Las Vegas on Memorial Weekend-lv-2.jpg   Driving to Las Vegas on Memorial Weekend-lv-1.jpg  
Old 06-10-2008 | 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
ouch, almost the exact same thing happened to me when my car was stock.. gave me hte incentive to get the AMG bumpers. it took out my right fog light, destroyed my wires, and caused my hid bulb to explode. good luck with that one!
Old 06-10-2008 | 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 C230SS
that's a tough question to answer. wire ties and duct tape would most likely not have held it at highway speeds. however, i am always up for testing the limits of man's greatest inventions- duct tape and ties. i most likely would have taken it off completely as not to damage it more- hoping to be able to have it repaired after my trip.
Old 06-10-2008 | 07:07 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
ouch...i've hit those blown out tires when i had my AMG bumper still...made bunch of scratches in the middle. my fix...added a front Euro plate...LOL

taking the lip off was a smart choice.
Old 06-10-2008 | 07:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
option B - get your bumper resprayed and then re-attach lip.
Old 06-11-2008 | 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mu9enx
ouch, almost the exact same thing happened to me when my car was stock.. gave me hte incentive to get the AMG bumpers. it took out my right fog light, destroyed my wires, and caused my hid bulb to explode. good luck with that one!
damn, yours did some damage. Mine isnt really as bad as it looks. I thought i would have to do an insurance claim, but the day i got back i spent most of the day trying to fix it. Luckily it was all just marks from the tire, i was able to buff it all out, the only visible damage it did was making 3 small holes/tears in my clear bra above the lip, under the mesh. You cant really notice it though. I know the clear bra is made for little rocks and such, but i really do think it helped out alot here. It also pulled the fog light mesh off, and thats still on the 15 fwy somewhere.

Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
that's a tough question to answer. wire ties and duct tape would most likely not have held it at highway speeds. however, i am always up for testing the limits of man's greatest inventions- duct tape and ties. i most likely would have taken it off completely as not to damage it more- hoping to be able to have it repaired after my trip.
I almost started trying to re-attach it, but finally thought, as strong as wire ties and duct tape are, once i get going again, the wind is gonna rip it right off...

I think i made the right decision..

i attached a pic here, this is a day after i cleaned up the bumper. I also re attached the lip, did it by myself so its a little off. Gotta fix that soon... hopefully, oh and the fog light mesh is still missing....
Attached Thumbnails Driving to Las Vegas on Memorial Weekend-long-beach-front-side-lowered-copy.jpg  
Old 06-11-2008 | 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
that doesn't look that bad after you clean it up.
Old 06-12-2008 | 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by yeuchau
that doesn't look that bad after you clean it up.
Thanks, thats after about 4 hours of hand scrubin it with heavy duty cleaners, and wax. well worth it though...