C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HELP HELP needed TOWED MY CAR with a TOWDOLLY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SL450
what can I say??? I know everytime I remember what I did I feel stupid but w/e it could happen to anybody too many things in my mind with the moving, the car its my girls car its an 05 with 54k so warranty is over, I got the 06 too bad it was hers instead of mine with warranty, I got a friend that works only in european cars and he took the tranny to see what can he do with it
Old 06-20-2008, 03:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andonixxx
what can I say??? I know everytime I remember what I did I feel stupid but w/e it could happen to anybody too many things in my mind with the moving, the car its my girls car its an 05 with 54k so warranty is over, I got the 06 too bad it was hers instead of mine with warranty, I got a friend that works only in european cars and he took the tranny to see what can he do with it
Hey bro, I empathize with you a great deal. Moving your life in a Uhaul is hectic enough w/o having to worry about which wheels should be on the ground.

Bad/preventable things always happen to me and afterwards I always knock myself down instead of taking it on the chin.

Most forum members are here to help. So please, let us know any questions you may have in this very difficult time.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SL450
Question

Thanks for all your help!!!!

the mechanic said that the tranny was all ruined on the inside he showed me all the ruined parts, how much do you guys think a tranny cost???? new or used? the mechanich is a good friend of mine he is charging me to replace all the parts to put back on my transmition + installation $3000 is it good? bad? i'm so frustrated because i.m not a mechanic so i dont know if I'm getting fuc... or all of this is true!!

please if somebody has done a tranny or you guys might know how much this might cost let me knoww

thanks guys
Old 06-23-2008, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F10
at this point, do you really have a choice? sounds like the tranny (or portion of) is already out, would you really ask him to put it back together and have it flatbedded to another shop? Can you call a dealership and get a quote for a straight tranny swap? I seems that independents charge ~50% less than dealerships, so see if you can get a benchmark pricing from the dealer, then compare. $3000 sounds steep, but then you got an MB, so maybe it's just about right. If it was up to me, I'll keep the car where it's at, just make sure the $3000 labor is for the entire job, no more extras. Then if you're familiar with getting parts, go get them yourself, a parts manual may be helpful at this time. Junkyards specializing in MBs are a good place to start. Goodluck, and I hope you get thru this without loosing more than you should.

I'm not affiliated with the seller, but this will give you an IDEA for a used tranny.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...mZ140240405110
Old 06-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Almost a Member!

02 C240 Black
I don't think I would bother rebuilding it. There is too much room for error unless you do them all the time. By the time you pay labor and parts to your buddy you could be looking at over a $1000 (just for the rebuild) and still have questionable trans. That’s why dealers don't even do it anymore. I would just look for a used low mileage salvaged trans and pay your mechanic about 8 hours to r&r it. Call some local bone yards. If they have one, buy it over the phone and have it delivered to your mechanics shop. At 8 hours x ~$50 (approx. side work hour rate) + ~$500-$700 for used trans you could be out of this mess for under $2000.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 C Sport
Originally Posted by Andonixxx
Thanks for all your help!!!!

the mechanic said that the tranny was all ruined on the inside he showed me all the ruined parts, how much do you guys think a tranny cost???? new or used? the mechanich is a good friend of mine he is charging me to replace all the parts to put back on my transmition + installation $3000 is it good? bad? i'm so frustrated because i.m not a mechanic so i dont know if I'm getting fuc... or all of this is true!!

please if somebody has done a tranny or you guys might know how much this might cost let me knoww

thanks guys
If he is your friend why are you asking here if you are getting "fuc..."? If he's your friend don't you think he'd be giving you the best deal he can?