C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HELP HELP needed TOWED MY CAR with a TOWDOLLY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SL450
Exclamation HELP HELP needed TOWED MY CAR with a TOWDOLLY

hey guys, I got a big problem, first of all i'm not a mechanic so i didn't know this could happen!!!

i JUST moved to miami and I got my car with a TOW DOLLY with the rear wheels moving..... I had to search first but i didn't know it was going to be a problem .... its an 05c230 its automatic it was in neutral all the time, when i got here i put the car on reverse and there was no power neither in drive.... it accelerates but it doesnt do anything i just hear a lil whistle, you guys might know what could happen or what coud be wrong or WHATS WRONG? please help me!!!

Last edited by Andonixxx; 06-15-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: change title
Old 06-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
From the Operator’s Manual-

“Towing restrictions for vehicles with automatic transmission:

The vehicle may be with towed with the [drive] wheels on the ground…for distances up to 30 miles and at speed not to exceed 30 MPH. To be certain to avoid the possibility of damage to the transmission, however, we recommend the drive shaft be disconnected at the rear axle drive flange for any towing beyond a short tow to a nearby garage….”

Unfortunately, it’s likely FUBAR.

Let the accounting department know so that those additional relocation expenses can be rightly deducted.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 ML500
All I can say is this is not going to be pretty. Just exactly how far did you tow your vehicle?
Old 06-15-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SL450
250 miles @ a speed of 80 miles but how bad could it be????
Old 06-15-2008, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
How bad can it be? Might have been cheaper to hire an attorney to remove the driveshaft, follow you to Miami, and reinstall it.

The oil pump for the lubrication, cooling, and hydraulic is driven from the input shaft of the transmission. Moving the car at high speed for an extended period overheats and cooks the friction materials in the box. You also probably seared the planetary gears. Mercedes also has a dual planetary gear that has a funny French name. Running dry for a couple of hours has probaby rendered the ravigneaux gear set an interesting paper weight.

I am sorry for your misfortune. I wish there was a different outcome.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C-230
OMG..No offense, but seriously what were you thinking before doing this?! I would list "not pulling a car with an automatic in neutral" as common knowledge every male should know.

Good luck anyways, hope it's not too expensive.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 ML500
Very sorry about your misfortune. If you are interested in parting out your car ie. your wheels then give me a shout because I could use a set of summer wheels on the sedan.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
wow thats crazy man. seriously tell me you saw the "tow" button on the dash.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by advans
wow thats crazy man. seriously tell me you saw the "tow" button on the dash.
that just turns off the alarm while its towed/lifted
Old 06-16-2008, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
cool....i didn't know I could disconnect my driveshaft with that button
Old 06-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Almost a Member!

02 C240 Black
2006? Probably still in warranty? Get it to the dealer, don’t tell them what you did, and enjoy your new transmission.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:25 PM

n/a
Originally Posted by mbhackie
2006? Probably still in warranty? Get it to the dealer, don’t tell them what you did, and enjoy your new transmission.
+1
Old 06-17-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When it comes to maintenance, MB mechanics can be lazy.

However, in this case, anyone who takes it apart will know what happened sticking you with an expensive bill.

The real question here is liability and negligence. State and local statutes will need to be looked at to determine who is responsible.

I assume that a tow truck company contracted by the state to do there dirty work, must be insured, and bonded. A properly trained and experienced tow truck driver will know how to properly tow a car.

In your case, here's what should have been done.

1. Jimmy door lock, then put car in neutral.
2. Pull car out of space into the open.
3. Lift car up from the rear so front wheels are sitting on the ground.
4. Drive car to impound lot.

The best bet is to flatbed, but dont' expect luxury towing service just because you drive an MB.

Here's a trick. ALWAYS turn your wheel all the way to the right or left when parked in a parking lot with cars next to you.

Tow truck drivers' can't defeat the steering lock which is part of theft protection.

With your wheel turned all the way, they can't pull your car out without smacking the cars to the right and left with you. Thus, they won't tow it.

You'll just get a ticket most likely.

-Ben
Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
damn, sorry to hear what happened.

Originally Posted by Rev 2 Liv
Here's a trick. ALWAYS turn your wheel all the way to the right or left when parked in a parking lot with cars next to you.

Tow truck drivers' can't defeat the steering lock which is part of theft protection.

With your wheel turned all the way, they can't pull your car out without smacking the cars to the right and left with you. Thus, they won't tow it.

You'll just get a ticket most likely.

-Ben
wow, thanks for the tip Ben!
Old 06-17-2008, 06:24 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by nlpamg
damn, sorry to hear what happened.

wow, thanks for the tip Ben!
unfortunately that won't really work. a lot of tow truck company has those little roller thing that they can put under your wheels. they can tow it doesn't matter which direction your wheel is pointing to. remember most tow truck company are local which means they don't have to tow it any where far or going very fast.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Almost a Member!

02 C240 Black
Firstly, I really would just take it to the dealer. The dealer is not going to waste time taking it apart. They are just going to R&R the trans and send it back to MB warranty where it will be rebuilt. The only way they will know is if you tell them. Even when the trans is rebuilt if they find spun bearings/metal shavings who is to say the trans didn't have a mainline pressure problem i.e. pump failure or internal leak. There is no way of proving it so their just going to swap the trans and get it out of there.

Secondly, most tow trucks will have jack skids and a tow dolly on board. If they want the car they can effortlessly take it.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by FrankW
unfortunately that won't really work. a lot of tow truck company has those little roller thing that they can put under your wheels. they can tow it doesn't matter which direction your wheel is pointing to. remember most tow truck company are local which means they don't have to tow it any where far or going very fast.
oh that's gay!
Old 06-17-2008, 11:09 PM

Firstly, I really would just take it to the dealer. The dealer is not going to waste time taking it apart. They are just going to R&R the trans and send it back to MB warranty where it will be rebuilt. The only way they will know is if you tell them. Even when the trans is rebuilt if they find spun bearings/metal shavings who is to say the trans didn't have a mainline pressure problem i.e. pump failure or internal leak. There is no way of proving it so their just going to swap the trans and get it out of there.

Secondly, most tow trucks will have jack skids and a tow dolly on board. If they want the car they can effortlessly take it.
Uh, how are they goung to replace it if they don't first take it apart? After which they see catastrophic failure in those areas. Service Manager's have seem every scam in the book.

The damage found will be classified as wear and tear (which it is) and therefore not be warrantied.

Too many MB employees would have to turn a blind eye to warranty it.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Former Vendor

Any AMG Thats Around..
i seriously doubt that they would open the tranny up..... SERIOUSLY DOUBT... they will drop it out and put a new one in... Most MB techs do not repair anything... they are just part changers..... bad one out new one in... Trust me, i worked in a MB SHop... i have seen many trans come and go... they come in on a skid and the old one leaves on a skid....
Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 AM

I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
man... i always remember how that a$$holes tow truck driver drag my SLK350 on its roof...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gAq8Q6KSZf8

the sound it making made me wana cry
Old 06-18-2008, 01:40 AM

you're right, but the tow truck profession is a learn on the job trade. There is no tow truck university or even professional licensure for individual tow truck operators.

An ex-roomate was/is a tow truck driver. At 18, walked in, and applied for the job. Got it on the spot with just a Class D passengers car license. They showed him the ropes a bit, but he really was wet behind the ears when he started. Made quite a few boo boos along the way,

Most tow truck drivers drive solo. Using tow dollies and jack skids when pulling a car out of a filled parking space when your wheels are turned all the way requires lots of patience and skill, especially since you're playing around with 3 feet on each side and it is hard to pull it out in one straight shot.

Obviously the guy who towed the OP's car is some kid wet behind the ears that just learnt a lesson.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:04 AM

F10
sorry about your misfortune, i hope you have a good relationship with your dealer (although i doubt it, cuz you said you just moved there, nyikes!). See if it's covered by warranty, however you want to present it. Goodluck and if you dont mind, keep us posted.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
OUCH! what a terrible position to be in. Good luck with the dealer and towing company insurance.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I don't know where you guys are picking up these ideas that his car was towed by the city.

He towed or had it towed himself because he was moving. It sounds like he may have done it entirely himself.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Originally Posted by acr2001
I don't know where you guys are picking up these ideas that his car was towed by the city.

He towed or had it towed himself because he was moving. It sounds like he may have done it entirely himself.

I believe he did it entirely himself because in the title he states: TOW DOLLY. This refers to a 2 wheel tow dolly which is attached to the back of the vehicle that it towing. It is only supposed to be used for front wheel drive vehicles since the rear wheels remain in contact with the ground. What he should have rented was a AUTO TRANSPORT which is basically a big trailer that all 4 wheels of the vehicle sit on, thus used for RWD vehicles. I don't know which company he rented the truck through, but most of them specify the type of vehicle etc when you go to rent. It's a liability thing where they don't want to rent you the wrong one and have sh*t like this go wrong. If they gave him the wrong dolly then he may be able to make a claim. Good luck though....

I once was stuck in the middle of nowhere and got into an argument with the tow truck driver about this. I then explained to him to tow my vehicle backwards, via rear wheels. I locked the steering wheel as straight as I could and prayed. We drove no faster than 30mph........ now THAT was an adventure!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP HELP needed TOWED MY CAR with a TOWDOLLY