C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

DIY: Evosport Underdrive Pulley Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C320
DIY: Evosport Underdrive Pulley Kit

I posted this last night in an older thread in response to a request for a DIY. I figured it could be added to the sticky, but the sticky is closed. If others have anything to add or think there is a better method for any of the steps, please feel free to comment and I can modify the DIY as needed to help the forum.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll give it a shot (I didn't take any pictures, unfortunately):

What you need (I apologize if I leave anything out. I'm doing this from memory):
a. Torx socket set (E14 specifically, but I'm not sure if that's the right one...and if you're doing DIY on a MB, you need to have a torx socket set anyway )
b. Metric/standard socket set (10mm for AC pulley, 1/2 in for pulley puller)
c. Advance Auto Parts (or similar) PS pulley puller kit
d. 2x4 2-3 feet long
e. Skinny screwdriver with a rag around it
f. dremel tool with sanding bit (maybe)
g. Strong friend

1 - Disconnect the battery (not sure if totally necessary, but since I was taking out the alternator I figured it would be a good idea). Draw a diagram of the pulleys and serpentine belt. Label all of them.

2 - Get the belt off: Pull up on the belt to pull the idler pulley up and to the left (it is spring loaded) to get the belt off. You might need your strong friend.

3 - AC Pulley (easiest): Undo the four screws (10mm socket) on the AC pulley and pull the pulley off. Check the new pulley to make sure it fits in the same place. I had to dremel out the ID because the powder coat was about a hair too thick. I did not remove any metal, just the paint. Screw the new one back in. Don't drop any screws or you'll have to take your underbelly pan of (8mm socket...yeah, I dropped one).

4 - Alternator pulley (medium): Remove the alternator by taking off the two torx bolts (E14, if I remember correctly). You might have to use your 2x4 to wiggle it out. Use a soft clamp or vise to hold the pulley still and an impact socket (22mm) to get the pulley off. Take off the old one and put on the new with the impact. Make it tight. Not sure what the torque spec is. I probably overdid it at 30 ft-lb. Put the alternator back. You will probably need your 2x4 to leverage it back in place. Put the bolts in place first to hold it still before tightening.

5 - Power Steering Pulley (hardest, but not that hard): This is a press-fit. It's a donut that goes over a shaft. Get the loaner tool from Advance. Follow the instructions. Here's what I can remember:

5a - put the universal nubby thing in the end of the allthread. Thread the pulling nut to the end closer to the pulley so when you screw it in, you pull the pulley out.

5b - fit the jaws (2 half-moons) around the collar of the pulley and the pulling nut, then the ring around the jaws (I promise, when you have the tool in your hands, this will make sense...ok 'promise is a strong word...I hope you will understand when you have the tool in your hands).

5c - Use the 1/2 in socket to thread the allthread into the puller nut to pull the pulley off.

5d - Put the new pulley on: Follow the instructions - put the right threaded piece in the end of the pulley shaft, then use the allthread and thrust washer/bearing pair to drive the new pulley on. Put it on hard.

6 - Put the Evosport belt on. Refer to your diagram. Thread it all the way around except for the AC pulley. The Evosport pulley gives a good 'half way' by stretching it to the first tier before fully retentioning the belt. Get your strong friend and the screwdriver with a rag around it. Put the screwdriver under the belt and leverage it over the top of the pulley while you and your friend feed the belt over the pulley and rotate the pulley (like resetting a bike chain, but harder and trying not to squash your fingers).

7 - make sure you're tracking! Watch the pulleys that have the ribbed side up and make sure they are tracking properly. If the belt moves back and forth more than a 1/16th of an inch, you need to check your tightness on your pulleys and make sure you aren't going to wiggle your belt off. Have your friend in the car to kill the engine if there is any sign of trouble.

I hope that helps. I'm doing it from memory, so I apologize deeply if I left anything out and it turns into a problem for anyone. I've checked it over, but details aren't really my strong suit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
You've been officially added to the AFTERMARKET & OEM MODS/DIY STICKY.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:42 PM

2002 C320
Originally Posted by drexappeal
You've been officially added to the AFTERMARKET & OEM MODS/DIY STICKY.
I hope that other members will help to fine-tune the process. I am by no means an expert.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Ive been looking for this DIY for quite some time now.

This is exactly the kind of description I have been told, but I thought the alternator pulley could be removed while on the car, but apparently not. This clears up alot of questions about the power steering pulley also.

What way did you turn the PS pulley puller to remove the pulley?

Thanks!

ps - subscribed
Old 06-24-2008, 04:32 PM

2002 C320
Originally Posted by TruTaing
Ive been looking for this DIY for quite some time now.

This is exactly the kind of description I have been told, but I thought the alternator pulley could be removed while on the car, but apparently not. This clears up alot of questions about the power steering pulley also.

What way did you turn the PS pulley puller to remove the pulley?

Thanks!

ps - subscribed
TruTaing,

You very well may be able to change the alternator pulley without removing the alternator. I just didn't have the right tools to get it done in that fashion.

The power steering pulley comes off by turning the allthread clockwise, thus pulling the puller toward you. It goes the opposite way to put the new pulley back on by anchoring into the hub with the threaded end of the pulley tool and thrust assembly.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
what kinda power changes does this mod give???
Old 06-27-2011, 08:37 AM

2002 C320
It's a little quicker off the line and the idle has less resistance. Evosport says 10hp in 1st gear and 5 up top. I got great gas mileage for the first year after I put them on, but after that it returned to ~10% improvement. I was at 28 mpg at best on the highway, now I'm good for 30 all the time and sometimes 33. Other members have done a lot better with a C320 without the pulleys, though.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
expensive???
Old 07-01-2011, 10:23 AM

2002 C320
I paid $100 IIRC to another member of this forum. No clue what they cost from Evosport.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55 AMG
100 for the full pulley kit???
Old 07-26-2011, 09:25 AM

2002 C320
3 pulleys and a belt. It was nowhere near retail price.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55 AMG
wow thats sick... who u get it from?