C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C63 diffuser on w203

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz C200K Sport Edition and 04 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Cintoman
Definitely glad about that. I'm sure it'll still be a bit difficult to remove it with the tape that's on now.

To be honest tudu, I'm a bit nervous about using the black sealant, when you mentioned in your thread to make sure I have a bunch of turpentine and mineral spirits. But maybe you (and anyone else that used the sealant) can help me out with some concerns I have using the sealant. Ideally, I think the sealent would work out the best, but again, I don't want to slop the stuff, get it all over my bumper, and make a total mess out of it, while still not achieving my goal of it matching the bumper cutout perfectly.

Here's my concerns:
Now that I have the black tape and adhesive promoter is coming soon, I'll probably use both the tape and the sealant. Since the tape is black, I was thinking about putting it on the leading edges of the diffuser, and then using the sealant along the inside of the diffuser. Suggestions? Should I do it this way, or install the tape more towards the inside of the diffuser and use the sealant along the outer edges. Basically, I want the top edge of the diffuser to match up exactly and tightly with the cutout line along the bumper. Right now, the diffuser is on and matches the cut line nicely. But there are some areas that the diffuser is more tightly stuck to the bumper. As such, the grey tape is not noticeable, but other areas it's not as tightly stuck, and you can see the grey tape. It's not unsticking, but just not as tight. Basically, on these areas, if I pressed my fingers to the diffuser, it would push in and fit more tightly. But when I let go, eventually, it won't be as tight. BTW, I put my expert ms paint skills to good use and threw together a quick pic showing both methods. Any suggestions on what's better/cleaner looking?

If I use the sealant on the outside edges and the tape on the inside, should I make a bead line with the sealant on the diffuser first, then press it to the bumper, or should I stick the diffuser on the bumper with the tape, then use the sealant along the edge next and press it on? Doing it either way makes me think that the sealant will be squirting out onto the bumper once the diffuser is pressed in place, which might be a bit messy to clean up. How thick of a bead line should I make?

How do you keep the diffuser pressed firmly to the bumper? My fear is that I'll put the sealant on press the diffuser in place, hold it firmly as best I can with my 2 hands, but then come back only to see that part of the diffuser moved away from the bumper, and now it's impossible to press it back in place because the sealant hardened? Suggestions? Or do I need 5 guys (10 hands) to hold this in place while the sealant hardens? About how long does it take to harden?

Sorry so many questions....

Looking at it now, I can see where you can say the exhaust is a bit lower. Raising it up won't really work without cutting the OEM cutout a bit. But I see what you mean. I'm thinking it's acceptable to me for now.

Thanks guys !!

Cintoman
amcw203 did it the way you are planning i.e. tape to bumper then use sealant. Really depends on how well you want it to look with a clean outside edge finish. My C200K is currently in bodyshop having C55 tyre well and exhaust system fitted so can't take pics of it. I used the sealant as i was concerned that with just tape any idiot could remove it quite easily. With the sealant the only way its coming off is with a chainsaw.

Its not that a messy job depends on how much sealant you put on and the excess squeezed out (small bead about thickness of standard pencil). What i did with the excess was create a nice clean bead over the edge of the diffuser and the bumper line with the head of screwdriver soaked in turps. However, you will get places where you will need to wipe away some off the sealant but you can take your time with this as the sealant does not set straight away. As such, you have plenty off time to clean up and manipulate certain areas i.e. duck tape to ensure close fit to bodywork. Where there are gaps in the diffuser in it not being completely straight you might need to duck tape the diffuser to the bumper till sealant sets. Leave to set, and if there are still slight gaps smooth over with sealant and turps. Hope that helps.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by tls1212
already installed on my car will try to take picture later and will uploaded soon
hi Teo i am interersted in the carbon single left diffuser too. do you have the price yet and how mcuh it would cost to ship to hong kong? plesae get back, thanks.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C320
Teo,

In regards to my private message about oem front bumper spoiler/splitter/lip/what ever its called/etc...here is the OEM bumper that I have...same as the pic attached

Last edited by joebull7866; 09-06-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM

c230
How much for the single side diffuser for 2007 C230 SS?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:13 AM

A45 AMG Edition 1
Originally Posted by joebull7866
Teo,

In regards to my private message about oem front bumper spoiler/splitter/lip/what ever its called/etc...here is the OEM bumper that I have...same as the pic attached
I will try it see wht can i do for u
Old 09-09-2008, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
any word on the carbon fiber diffuser pricing?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:36 AM

A45 AMG Edition 1
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
any word on the carbon fiber diffuser pricing?
due the cost for carbon are high we still look for other way to reduce the cost for carbon diffuser
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

due the cost for carbon are high we still look for other way to reduce the cost for carbon diffuser
yeah sucks because of the higher price of oil. Well try to give us a general idea on what the price should be if you.

It would still probably cheaper then doing in the US especially given the dollar has started rising again against international currencies.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Damn how did I miss this...
Old 09-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C320
I will try it see wht can i do for u

Thanks a lot man!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
updates on the CF version TEO?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by Cintoman

What do you all think? Suggestions. Comments. Again please pardon the appearance of the diffuser unsticking on the left side above the exhaust.

Thanks,
Cintoman
You should forget about getting the exhaust tip centered for now and just get the part positioned correctly. Having a huge gap on one side or having it overhang on the other side means it is not centered on the bumper. Once the part is centered properly and securely mounted with tape or sealant, then you can adjust the hangers on the muffler and center the exhaust tip in the cutout.

Also, if you can't get the part centered or positioned correctly at all, then the mold is messed up. Your only choice would be to fill in the gaps with bondo.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
yeah sucks because of the higher price of oil. Well try to give us a general idea on what the price should be if you.

It would still probably cheaper then doing in the US especially given the dollar has started rising again against international currencies.
Mike,

You should just wait. Once more sellers start getting their parts available to the public for us in the US, you'll have more choices. For example, Extreme Dimensions who is a sponsor on this forum will have their W203 body kit out soon. Then all you have to do is drive to Fullerton and pick it up.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by pshek
You should forget about getting the exhaust tip centered for now and just get the part positioned correctly. Having a huge gap on one side or having it overhang on the other side means it is not centered on the bumper. Once the part is centered properly and securely mounted with tape or sealant, then you can adjust the hangers on the muffler and center the exhaust tip in the cutout.

Also, if you can't get the part centered or positioned correctly at all, then the mold is messed up. Your only choice would be to fill in the gaps with bondo.
what are you talking about peter? he said it's "unsticking" because of the tapes, not because it's not centered.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:04 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Mike,

You should just wait. Once more sellers start getting their parts available to the public for us in the US, you'll have more choices. For example, Extreme Dimensions who is a sponsor on this forum will have their W203 body kit out soon. Then all you have to do is drive to Fullerton and pick it up.
that's like a dying wish. lol...they other mikey had his bumper to ED to do the w203 kit. they said it'll take 3-4 months.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by FrankW
what are you talking about peter? he said it's "unsticking" because of the tapes, not because it's not centered.
It's not centered. That's why he asked about it here...
While the diffuser is out, I'm also going to fix some of the small fitting issues. Each end of the diffuser tends to overhang (or is it underhang) past the end of the bumper on the very bottom, which is a bit noticeable from the sides (see last pic). Plus the same thing on the rest of the diffuser. I want to remove some of it so it's flush with the bottom cutout/end of the OEM bumper.
His first mistake is trying to fit the piece to the exhaust tip. He should first fit the piece to the bumper to keep the gaps to a minimum. Clean the bumper with acetone and then use 3M tape or adhesive. I would just take the muffler off the hanger first and then finish installing the part so that it looks good. Then I'd just hang the muffler up again and adjust the hangers so that the muffler tip is centered. Which would you prefer, spending time bondo-ing a huge gap on the bumper, prep work involved, possibly painting it, or just bend the damn hanger and make the tip centered.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
that's like a dying wish. lol...they other mikey had his bumper to ED to do the w203 kit. they said it'll take 3-4 months.
Really? When I talked to the other Mike he didn't sound like he was dying to get the kit back. Sounded prettly laid back about it. Anyways, my motto is wait and see...good things come to those who wait.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:24 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
It's not centered. That's why he asked about it here...

His first mistake is trying to fit the piece to the exhaust tip. He should first fit the piece to the bumper to keep the gaps to a minimum. Clean the bumper with acetone and then use 3M tape or adhesive. I would just take the muffler off the hanger first and then finish installing the part so that it looks good. Then I'd just hang the muffler up again and adjust the hangers so that the muffler tip is centered. Which would you prefer, spending time bondo-ing a huge gap on the bumper, prep work involved, possibly painting it, or just bend the damn hanger and make the tip centered.
what you said is overkill.

cintoman is describing extra material on the bottom side of the diffuser which shown by his last pic. where's all this tips not centered idea coming from?

he showed the pic because people were question why didn't the other guy did cut the bumper to the diffuser cut-out which replicates the highest of the 55 exhaust placement.

and then I said to him that I think he should still cut the bumper and move the exhaust up to like the cut-out on the diffuser. He said he sees what I'm saying, but is good for now as is.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:29 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Really? When I talked to the other Mike he didn't sound like he was dying to get the kit back. Sounded prettly laid back about it. Anyways, my motto is wait and see...good things come to those who wait.
yup, that's why HOP actually got "someone" to made your ecu work.

who said mikey's in a hurry to get it back? you're not making much sense pete.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
…are you sure you are not on crack or something
^^ Post o’ the week from Frank.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by splinter
^^ Post o’ the week from Frank.
thought that was for another thread for kira? LOL

oh yea John...once the car's back I'm gonna green light the metal cooling thing'o for the front'o... I'll ring you up.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
yup, that's why HOP actually got "someone" to made your ecu work.

who said mikey's in a hurry to get it back? you're not making much sense pete.
HOP got someone to make my ECU work? That's news to me. Last time I remember I hooked up my DAS to my car and got it to work. I should start taking Aricept now to prevent short term memory loss.

I think the threads going way off topic. Last post in the thread for me. Yippee!!!!

Last edited by pshek; 09-15-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
HOP got someone to make my ECU work? That's news to me. Last time I remember I hooked up my DAS to my car and got it to work. I should start taking Aricept now to prevent short term memory loss.

I think the threads going way off topic. Last post in the thread for me. Yippee!!!!
i won't say more since you still don't know. all good.

Last edited by FrankW; 09-15-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
good things come to those who wait.
ain't that the truth !

Old 09-15-2008, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mike,

yeah i'll probably just end up waiting. I want to do all the cooling mods first. I'm a little worried about gycol contamination since i'm at 81k now.

As for the body kits I actually replaced my entire front end on my integra and welded on the jdm front end. So i'm kinda over the whole body kit scene.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: C63 diffuser on w203