C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Ipod on stock head unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
Ipod on stock head unit?

I was wondering if there was any ipod hook up for the stock head unit on a 02 c320 that has the bose sound system ?
Old 08-06-2008, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
i assume you don't have nav which means you are stuck with a cassette adapter. their is a device that replaces the cd changer but as far as i know just a aux input (no controling through hu. you could upgrade to the nav unit which has an aux input if you buy a cable. that is what i did for my zune and xm radio. their is also this http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default_dp1.aspx which works with the aux in but also has a screen if that is something you wanted.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
DICE or AUX
Old 08-06-2008, 08:58 PM

2005 C240 4MATIC, 2010 ML350
He's right. Those are the only options since you're pre-2005.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fleet vehicle
Originally Posted by ChrisBrown
He's right. Those are the only options since you're pre-2005.
What about the Denison ice>link Gateway 500 D2B? I considered it, but the $450 seemed out of line for the oe radio...

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...rce=googlebase

Links for the operator manual and installation brochure pdf files are on the Enfig page as well.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Banned

02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by qianlimoro
What about the Denison ice>link Gateway 500 D2B? I considered it, but the $450 seemed out of line for the oe radio...

http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...rce=googlebase

Links for the operator manual and installation brochure pdf files are on the Enfig page as well.

Damn 500 buxx if i was gonna spend that much i would look for a whole head unit.

Do they make any double din navs that will fit my 2002 c320>?
Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 PM

fleet vehicle
Originally Posted by krisv420
Damn 500 buxx if i was gonna spend that much i would look for a whole head unit.

Tonnes. Pioneer and Kenwood seem to be favorites around here.

Search on AVIC for the Pioneer... Kenwood..?? idk
Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

THE C350

i would like to mention that you have a bose stereo which means that from my understanding you prety much cant just throw a new hu in without some serious cost. i looked in to doing that but was told the cost would be alot so i found a cheap euro nav unit.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Banned

02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by samaritrey
i would like to mention that you have a bose stereo which means that from my understanding you prety much cant just throw a new hu in without some serious cost. i looked in to doing that but was told the cost would be alot so i found a cheap euro nav unit.

You think this is the best way?
Old 08-07-2008, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I have the Harman Kardon Drive + Play 1 ....and it's great for playback.
H/K now has a newer model with color display and wireless ease of iinstallation. The new model kicks out a louder output, can play back from USB flash drives, iPod or aux in (other MP3). Here's a link....
http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-2/default.aspx

Damn...I might change over to this....wanna buy my series 1?
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 AM

I went with the Avic F900BT in my 2004 C240/Bose. Intallation was only 400 (I had a bunch of stuff done - example - Pac Audio SWI-CAN/SWI-PI for steering wheel controls and the unit itself)

It is freaking awesome - I loved my car before - now it is amazing.

Ipod integration is amazing - voice recoginition, album artwork, amazing sound through the factory bose speakers. I can drive on the freeway at 80 and say 'play the artist foo fighters' and it will respond with 'playing the artist foo fighters' and it is switched over - I can then change through the songs with the steering wheel controls (and adjust volume/mute) I can even watch iPod movies and dvds.

Bluetooth phone via my blackberry pearl - is amazing (I'm using this word alot) - crystal clear - download phone book etc.

Now the only drawback to the F series is the following:
Slow boot time - I'm ok with this for all the other features. Basically when you get in the car and turn on the ignition - music will start (from where you left off) after about 30 seconds - then after about a minute or two - you have full functionality.

I haven't gone into the nav - that is pretty cool as well especially with the MSN direct integration.

Anyhow - you can take a look for the thread 'AVIC installers in the bay area' on this site - I went with AllPro Audio in Santa Clara, CA - they are awesome.

Good luck - if you go with the Avic F - you should be very happy - I know I am.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C230K SS
Originally Posted by Rick
I have the Harman Kardon Drive + Play 1 ....and it's great for playback.
H/K now has a newer model with color display and wireless ease of iinstallation. The new model kicks out a louder output, can play back from USB flash drives, iPod or aux in (other MP3). Here's a link....
http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-2/default.aspx

Damn...I might change over to this....wanna buy my series 1?
I installed a DP2 on my car several months ago. Here's a link to the post: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&highlight=dp2

I think it's great, but there are a couple caveats. First, since there is evidently no AUX plug on the pre-2005's, then you'll have to use the wired FM modulator instead of the direct stereo mini-plug connection (I also bought MB's aux cable and therefore have great sound quality). I've heard mostly not good things about sound quality if you use the FM modulator. Second, although HK advertises the DP2 as capable of also controlling Sirius satellite radio and a phone through a Bluetooth connection, they have yet to make the necessary kits for those two options a reality. I'm not holding my breath, and in fact, I've heard that they've given up on a satellite radio interface for technical reasons. So, just be aware that if you buy a DP2, it's not likely you'll be able to take advantage of the Sirius and Bluetooth options (even though they still advertise them right on the box...really p!sses me off, but what can I do now?). Given the enormous price difference, I'd stick with the DP1 (even with its monochrome screen) unless you just have to have the color screen on the DP2.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:50 PM

fleet vehicle
Originally Posted by costerdock
...slow boot time - I'm ok with this for all the other features. Basically when you get in the car and turn on the ignition - music will start (from where you left off) after about 30 seconds - then after about a minute or two - you have full functionality.
Very interesting, Chris. I would have thought the Flash based memory would boot faster.

You've done exactly what I've been considering. Any chance you could post a pic of your installation? And a list of everything needed to get it up and functional would be great too.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

02 C320 Sedan
Originally Posted by costerdock
I went with the Avic F900BT in my 2004 C240/Bose. Intallation was only 400 (I had a bunch of stuff done - example - Pac Audio SWI-CAN/SWI-PI for steering wheel controls and the unit itself)

It is freaking awesome - I loved my car before - now it is amazing.

Ipod integration is amazing - voice recoginition, album artwork, amazing sound through the factory bose speakers. I can drive on the freeway at 80 and say 'play the artist foo fighters' and it will respond with 'playing the artist foo fighters' and it is switched over - I can then change through the songs with the steering wheel controls (and adjust volume/mute) I can even watch iPod movies and dvds.

Bluetooth phone via my blackberry pearl - is amazing (I'm using this word alot) - crystal clear - download phone book etc.

Now the only drawback to the F series is the following:
Slow boot time - I'm ok with this for all the other features. Basically when you get in the car and turn on the ignition - music will start (from where you left off) after about 30 seconds - then after about a minute or two - you have full functionality.

I haven't gone into the nav - that is pretty cool as well especially with the MSN direct integration.

Anyhow - you can take a look for the thread 'AVIC installers in the bay area' on this site - I went with AllPro Audio in Santa Clara, CA - they are awesome.

Good luck - if you go with the Avic F - you should be very happy - I know I am.

Thanks,

Chris

Hey Chris,

I was looking at the Avic F900BT and i really like it. I believe this is the head unit i will switch out on my car. Im just worried if factory speakers and connection and everything will work. If the car has to be rewired just for the headunit its not something i want to get done =/.
Thanks Chris ive been looking at the headunits on youtube and love it.

The only reason i don't really want the DP2 is because i already have a NAV unit on my windshield and i kinda want a all in combo thing. And its stupid how the car can't just have a cable to plug in for an ipod.

FM modulator Or FM modulator hardwire if it doesn't sound good then i won't even look that way.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 PM

I'll try to record a video of the functionality and fit. There are some pictures under my older thread - I've since refinished the dash adaptor to match the controls - it looks much more integrated.

As far as factory speakers and wiring - all I can say is that the sound is way better now than with the factory. The factory was good - but this is much better. Basically All Pro used an adaptor - so wire cutting is minimal - I can go back to factory very simply - they will even do it at no charge - that is one of their perks as an installer. The only speaker wire they had to cut and re-wire was to the rear subs - those were driven off the factory bose amp - those are now driven off the AVIC. The amp is bypassed.

Over the weekend - I will record some video and post it.

As far as the slow boot time and flash memory - the issue is that the avic f series is now really a Windows CE PC - so the boot up is mostly windows booting up. Again - I'm fine with it and I hope it gets better - gotta split.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:05 PM

Oh - and one more thing - the install for the avic F series is the same as with the D3 (supposedly you can use the same plug and just swap out the head unit) - you can go to avic411 for more details - I'm fairly certain there are step by step DIY for the d3 install on this site. I chose to have an installer do it.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
ok well maybe i am wrong but with the bose isint all the music sent from the hu to the bose amp before it gose to any speakers? when i wired in my nav unit i noticed that the out puts were left empty. so unless the new hu conected to the fiber you would have to run wires?? am i right or crazy.