C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Radio / CD / CD Changer not working after dead battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C230K SS
Radio / CD / CD Changer not working after dead battery

Long story short my mom was driving my car and forgot to turn the fog lights off, battery went dead, they jumped it and drove it home. When I returned I began looking for the list of faults after disconnecting / dead battery.

Everything seemed to work (sunroof, auto window down/up, back sunscreen) EXCEPT my Radio / CD changer. CD magazine eject button isn't lit. The audio screen on my dash shoes "--", when pressing power or holding power, the radio doesn't come on.

I've already checked the fuse (fuse box position 64, at 10 ohms?) for the Radio and the fuse looked fine. Not breakage or anything.

So I'm kind of out of ideas. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 PM

03 C230K SS
pump, no help guys?
Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Hi There!

Like riding around in a tomb without a radio, huh?

A fuse that measures 10 ohms is a bit high. Hold the meter probes together and note the reading on the display. This is just the resistence of the wire leads. We'll call this zero for our purposes. Now read the fuse. The number on the display should be just slightly higher, about 0.2 ohms or LESS. There are tiny holes in the top of the fuse to allow ingress of a pin probe to read voltage.

Change the meter to DC volts and connect the black lead to ground. Any place on the chassis will do. Since everything is covered in carpet and plastic, I often hold the black lead on the outside ring of the cigar lighter.

Next press the red lead into one hole on the top of the fuse to make contact with the metal inside. The display should show 12 volts. If the fuse is good, there will be 12 volts in both holes. If only one hole has 12 volts and the other has none, the fuse is open, and needs to be replaced.
The following users liked this post:
Richard Tammi (11-28-2018)
Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 PM

03 C230K SS
so i just checked the fuse (#64) again, this time w/ a volt meter and it registered a reading, so it seems like the fuse itself is fine.

10 ohm is the factory setting for radio/command/navigation, etc, according to the fuse spec sheet in the car.

Are there any other places that I should check before bringing the car into the stealer? Again, the radio does not power up when I press power, and the EJECT button light on the cd changer doesn't even light up. In my dash for Radio reads "---".

Thanks a lot.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:01 PM

1997 Mercedes E300D
Bet you need the radio unlock code

I forgot how many digits long it is (5 ?), but mine was written by the previous owner in the back cover of the radio user's guide in my glove compartment. If you call the MB dealer parts department with the car's VIN and they can confirm that you are the owner they should be able to tell you the radio unlock code, assuming that it is the original radio unit in the car. If the radio was replaced from the original unit in that care, you will need the radio's serial number and maybe also the MB part number from the back of the radio (removing the radio was a workout in my '05 C240!). I just joined this forum and haven't had a chance to search old posts yet for things, but would bet that this answer has been posted previously (it may also even be in the MB owner's guide in the glove compartment!). Good luck, Tom
Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 PM

03 C230K SS
the radio is factory radio.

i've never heard of a radio unlock code, how is the radio unlocked??

I've searched the forums and I haven't found anything helpful, other than checking the fuse.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Look at post and the car he drives. Older tech radio's had codes.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:21 PM

03 C230K SS
i just called the MB dealership, and they said that the back of the radio also has a fuse, and that one might be blown. So they'll need to take the radio OUT and see if that fuse is blown and replace it. This will cost me ~$57.

Which gets me to think of the crappy design, how can the main fuse NOT blow, but have this fuse on the back of the radio blow?

Either way, the radio doesn't ask for a code entry, it's just dead. I guess normally, if a code entry is required, the screen will say ask for a code entry.

Any suggestions there? If not, I'm taking it in tomorrow and have the work done. Is taking the radio out easy to do? Something I can do and check myself to see if the fuse is blown?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:31 PM

03 C230K SS
so i just returned from the dealership. Cost me $65 includes taking apart the dash, tax and the fuse.

For my 2003 radio, there's a 10 ohm (or whatever the UOM is) fuse (red) on the left back side of the radio. And apparently it was blown. Which pisses me off, on how can the fuse in the hood for the same current NOT blow, but yet have this one blow.

Anyway, so now you know, that there's a fuse specifically for the radio in the back.

To get to it, I watched the guy tear my dash apart. I'll post some pics on where all the screws and clips are.

Cheers.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:09 PM

03 E500
Hi everyone I am new to the forum. I have an 03 E500 this is my second Benz and my LAST!!!! If anyone can help me I have to change the battery under the hood it has low voltage. Once I change it I will need to reset the radio and do not have the code, if anyone can help that would be awesome!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
try posting in the e class forums they know a lot more about the model then we do. and how is it the cars fault for a battery going bad?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by DIRTGIRL10
Hi everyone I am new to the forum. I have an 03 E500 this is my second Benz and my LAST!!!! If anyone can help me I have to change the battery under the hood it has low voltage. Once I change it I will need to reset the radio and do not have the code, if anyone can help that would be awesome!!!
call roadside, best way to change your battery in any benz. They will charge you for the battery but nothing else.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:14 AM

2003 benzness
post some pictures please

Any chance you can post these pictures. I really need to know how to take the radio out!
thanks!

To get to it, I watched the guy tear my dash apart. I'll post some pics on where all the screws and clips are.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-07-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E240 W211 series 2004my
Originally Posted by yangfan
Long story short my mom was driving my car and forgot to turn the fog lights off, battery went dead, they jumped it and drove it home. When I returned I began looking for the list of faults after disconnecting / dead battery.

Everything seemed to work (sunroof, auto window down/up, back sunscreen) EXCEPT my Radio / CD changer. CD magazine eject button isn't lit. The audio screen on my dash shoes "--", when pressing power or holding power, the radio doesn't come on.

I've already checked the fuse (fuse box position 64, at 10 ohms?) for the Radio and the fuse looked fine. Not breakage or anything.

So I'm kind of out of ideas. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
My 2004 E 211 series lost all audio and I went to the fuse box on the RH side dash end , located the audio fuse and rotated it 180 deg. and it has not stopped working since now 8 years later.
Chrisk1
The following users liked this post:
wilsonntir (08-07-2022)
Old 02-28-2018, 07:11 PM

03 e500 and 08 gl450
Radio and cd changer won’t come on

I have a 2003 Mercedes benz E500 and the radio or cd changer won’t come on all the fuses are good. What else can it be. I took the radio out and it doesn’t have a fuse on the back of it please help