C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

reliable MBs. history?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 07:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180K
reliable MBs. history?

hi,

i have just got my 2003 C180k, on the 20th of dec. i returned it to the dealer on the next working day (23th), since it frequently dropped the first gear. now they removed the whole transmission took it apart and still looking for the problem (anyway i doubt that the local MB service can properly handle a transmission issue).
they gave me a class A as a replacement which is by no means comparable to my C (and also a diesel with auto tranny).

i would think that a problem like this should have been sorted out BEFORE delivery. at least this is what i expect from MB.

i wonder if you had better experience in the UK/US or Canada.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you expect too much from MB, they are not very reliable cars.
Old 01-01-2003, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Both of our M-Bs have been reasonably reliable (nothing that has made them undriveable). About your problem, I remeber a service manager showing me a tech bulletin about this exact problem. I forget what part it was, but I think its some sort of a ring-shaped part in the synchro (???), and if its installed backwards then it wants to pop out of first gear. Sorry for being so vague but I'm no mechanic and I cant remember exactly what the part is.
Old 01-01-2003, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Not a good start for you and your car. Hope you get things sorted out. Once fixed properly your car should last a long time. I doubt your local dealer has enough volume to gain any experience with the transmissions....I hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Almost a Member!

C180K
Originally posted by AndrewK
Both of our M-Bs have been reasonably reliable (nothing that has made them undriveable). About your problem, I remeber a service manager showing me a tech bulletin about this exact problem. I forget what part it was, but I think its some sort of a ring-shaped part in the synchro (???), and if its installed backwards then it wants to pop out of first gear. Sorry for being so vague but I'm no mechanic and I cant remember exactly what the part is.
does anybody know the part number or any other info? i would be glad to tell the service what to look for :P
Old 01-02-2003, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Buellwinkle I think you expect too much from MB, they are not very reliable cars
Please post evidence, other than you sole experiences, to prove that MB's in general are not very reliable cars (which seems to imply poor or low reliability) How about a JD Power survey? Are MB's the most reliable? No. Are they the most unrelaible? No. Are they average in reliablility? Yes. Does spending more on any brand of car mean you are getting better reliability? No. Do people unrealistically expect near 100% reliability from every example of every model from an expensive luxury car like MB? Yes. Are you guaranteed to get near 100% reliability from another brand of car just because it may be listed high in general reliability on surveys such as JD Powers'? NO.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Good post Jim.

The problem with this subject is that it all comes down to people's perception of quality/reliablity.

When asked how they liked thier new MBs, two guys replied:

Guy #1: It's great. I love it, and the only problem was a defective wire harness that caused an error message to pop up.

Guy #2: It's a complete POS! I paid $40k and the stupid BAS/ESP failures keep coming up and the dealer had to replace a friggin wire harness!

Trending Topics

Old 01-02-2003, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jim, while MB is #10 in the JD Powers 5 yr dependability survey this can be misleading as some people get such great service from MB that they may forget their unpleasent experience when they survey comes. I can only say that the 4 MB's over the past 19 years that I owned and my parents MB have been a repair shop's dream, an owner's nightmare. So you ask, why did I get another MB knowing what a POS they truly are? I haven't had an MB in about 13-14 years and I figured since Jaguar's reliability improved a lot when Ford took them over that MB would have benefitted in the same way with the Chrysler take over and I took a risk, one that hasn't paid off in reliability but it's still a nice car and I enjoy it, at least for the 4 years I get free maintenance and warranty. And before you say all my mods caused this, it hasn't. 7 out of 8 warranty claims where prior to pulley or suspension mods, the latest being a faulty PS pump. Unless something convinces me otherwise, in 2 1/2 years when the warranty is up I'll probably go back to dependable Ford's.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
Originally posted by Buellwinkle

I'll probably go back to dependable Ford's. [/B]
Would that be like SVT Mustang Cobra with close to 400HP? I know you wan't one Buellwinkle admit it.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Iceman's C230
Would that be like SVT Mustang Cobra with close to 400HP? I know you wan't one Buellwinkle admit it.
Although a Convertible Cobra would be a dream car, I'll wait for the new Lincoln LS chassis based Mustang as the current fox chassis is my only real negative with the car. I took the Mustang Convertible out this morning to get it detailed, I hope they are done by lunch time as it will be in the high 70's today and perfect convertible weather, woohooo!

Also keep in mind the such a car would be way more expensive than my $25K Coupe. The '03 Cobra Convertible is about $38K with little hope for rebates, finance incentives or discounts. I would likely just get a GT Convertible for about $25k and boost up the ponies a little bit, part of the fun anyway. One nice thing about Mustang GTs is there's tons of inexpensive aftermarket mods for it.

Imagine, a car that only goes to the dealer for detailing and maintenance, if only MB can be that good!
Old 01-02-2003, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Imagine, a car that only goes to the dealer for detailing and maintenance, if only MB can be that good!
So, does this mean that ALL Mustang's are 100% trouble-free?
Old 01-02-2003, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
NO! And the Explorers had their problems too!!!
Old 01-02-2003, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Like I said, I only know from personal experience, 4 MBs, all bad, 5 Mustangs, all good. I understand where you are coming from and all manufacturers make good and bad cars, but I can't keep pressing my luck, I have to go with what works for me and up until now, MB hasn't been doing it for me reliability wise. Once in a while I follow the Mustang forums and I don't see the quantity or types of problems people experience with their cars on this forum. Sure people have trouble, but not time and time again with safety features like ABS/ESP, check engine lights, power steering pumps, keys that don't work, vents that excessively outgas and cloud windows, rattles, differential failures and more.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Like I said, I only know from personal experience, 4 MBs, all bad, 5 Mustangs, all good. I understand where you are coming from and all manufacturers make good and bad cars, but I can't keep pressing my luck, I have to go with what works for me and up until now, MB hasn't been doing it for me reliability wise. Once in a while I follow the Mustang forums and I don't see the quantity or types of problems people experience with their cars on this forum. Sure people have trouble, but not time and time again with safety features like ABS/ESP, check engine lights, power steering pumps, keys that don't work, vents that excessively outgas and cloud windows, rattles, differential failures and more.
hehehhehe that's pretty bad when a Ford Mustang is more reliable than a Mercedes.

I've had my share of probs with my MB, more than any other car I've owned- Japanese or US. Right now, the front passengers' window and memory switch's backlighting flicker like crazy at night...but the switches still work fine....I'm waiting for something else to break before I take it in (I know somthing else will so...might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone right ?)

Last edited by bagwell; 01-02-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Almost a Member!

C180K
Originally posted by CitronC230K_03
NO! And the Explorers had their problems too!!!
sorry Jim to say that, but you miss the point. i do think that i should get something for my extra money. othervise i will get a BMW or a Lexus next time.
anyway, i think there is a huge problem at the QA department of a car manufacturer if i was able to get a car at the dealer which is not driveable AT ALL. and believe me it is not driveable if you did not have your first gear. what kind of a QA is that?
also count in, that i wanted to buy a NEW car not a repaired one. if i have not, i would went for a used ride.

Last edited by seen; 01-02-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by Jim Banville
VERY RELIABLE '02 C240

I'm glad someone has one ! LOL
Old 01-02-2003, 03:57 PM

C230 C-Coupe
If this was a Ford, Toyota, Ipod, Compaq, Honda, Rolls Royce or Nestle forum, you would have people complaining that the product was not reliable.

Last week I added myself to two new forums, 1 for my cell phone and the other for my Archos player. I can not believe so many people complain about them, my archos player was perfect until I found out about the battery problem. Now like the rest of them I have an issue with my Archos player, I wish I had never subscribed but I can't stop readind, and posting.

Nathan

Last edited by nboyd; 01-02-2003 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by nboyd
If this was a Ford, Toyota, Ipod, Compaq, Honda, Rolls Royce or Nestle forum, you would have people complaining that the product was not reliable.

Last week I added myself to two new forums, 1 for my cell phone and the other for my Archos player. I can not believe so many people complain about them, my archos player was perfect until I found out about the battery problem. Now like the rest of them I have an issue with my Archos player, I wish I had never subscribed but I can't stop readind, and posting.

Nathan
I know what you mean. 2 years ago I got an Iomega HipZip MP3 player and joined that forum. Nothing but complainers there too. It's really only the same 4 guys whining. My unit has been and still is perfect (except for a minor software glitch).

I stopped reading the Honda Accord forums for the same reason- "gee, I thought my Accord wasn't supposed to break, I expect more for a $23k car...yeah, me too....yeah, me three..."etc.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Jim, while MB is #10 in the JD Powers 5 yr dependability survey this can be misleading as some people get such great service from MB that they may forget their unpleasent experience when they survey comes.
It works the other way. Because people pay so much for the cars, they are hypersensitized to ANY problems...even ones that don't technically exist. The pulling on C7 cars...every car Ive ever driven that has wide low profile tires tends to pull depending on the crown of the road.

The only MB's 'I'(yes, I, just me...not claiming to be a know it all) know of that are patently unreliable are the ML's.

My Coupe has never been back to the dealer. Easily the most trouble free car that me or my wife have ever had. My folks own a couple of benz's when I was growing up...both ran to nearly 300,000 before being sold...I don't ever remember the car ever having to go back to the dealer...except for the hood ornament...but that was STOLEN.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

like ive said before ive owned an '83 300CD from 198k - 239k miles, and an '87 300D from 151k to 190k miles and kept running. i replaced a window switch in the C123, and i replaced the sunroof motor, window motor, and ignition in the W124. my C123 was definately more reliable. my moms owned a couple mercedes-benz growing up and im currently driving her '89 560SL until my coupe arrives. granted it only has 82k miles and always sat in the garage. the only problem with the R107 was a water pump around 74k miles.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

also im not saying that they are perfect cars and never break. granted the 2 ive owned i was 2nd owner of both and wasnt there during the initial break in period. also im not saying the more money you spend the less it should break. the more you spend, the more expensive they are to fix, maintain, insure, and you should expect great service from the dealership! granted you can buy a $15k car and get great service but you are happy with it when you spend $15k and expect it when people spend say $40k. just my $0.02.
Old 01-02-2003, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by Jim Banville
So, does this mean that ALL Mustang's are 100% trouble-free?
No, but every mustang Ive ever been in has that same cheaper than K-Mart interior, the same weatherstriping/filler foam piece falling out around the A-pillars, the same abysmal build quality, and that same loud THUNKING noise when you slam the door or go over a bump...yup, that big clunky undamped door handle makes the noise. Watch it bounce when you shut the door.

I've rented Mustangs numerous times on business trips. 1 had to be left in a different city because of overheating on a trip to Kansas City, and Ive had two that kept lighting up the check engine light. The last one I rented kept 'chimming' every 30 seconds when the airconditioning was on. Trouble free cars? Pulease. And despite the faults, I still like the car. It looks good, handles decently, and offers a lot of performance and style for the money.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:03 PM

Here is a good article I read today about MB vs. Lexus.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/insiders.../b01-49698.htm
Old 01-02-2003, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Outland
I've rented Mustangs numerous times on business trips. 1 had to be left in a different city because of overheating on a trip to Kansas City, and Ive had two that kept lighting up the check engine light. The last one I rented kept 'chimming' every 30 seconds when the airconditioning was on. Trouble free cars? Pulease. And despite the faults, I still like the car. It looks good, handles decently, and offers a lot of performance and style for the money.

Now imagine what I go through, as bad as the Mustangs are (your perception, no my experience), the MBs are many times worse. Yes I brought in the Mustang for warranty repairs, 8 times in 1 year, NO. My first benz was in 12 times for the same problem until I decided to lemon law the car and didn't include the other 6 times the same year I brough it in for different problems. The lemon law replacement car need a horn and transmission after a week, the radio broke a week later. You can't compare a rental car that gets tough abuse to a personal car you've own and take car of. And like I've said, maybe it's luck of the draw and I drew four duds in a row, maybe if I get another one it will be like Jim's flawless car.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by DCX Engineer
Here is a good article I read today about MB vs. Lexus.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/insiders.../b01-49698.htm
that is a really great article!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: reliable MBs. history?