C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

TemjinX2's $20 seat control battery drain fix

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by Gizmotech
However, what I can't help but wonder, asthe wires involved here are the CAN wires, does it not affect any other systems whichever mod one decides to carry out?
You can achieve the same results by leaving the wiring alone....opening the seat module....cutting the pin connection on the inside...bending it over until it touches the other pin connector.....and soldering it. Worked for me, no problems. The only difference is (as mentioned) it requires the key in position one to operate the seat and the memory function.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 2002
I am having similar problems with the seat control units, except that in my case the car was diagnosed as having THREE control units failing. Not actually failing, but discharging the battery. These are: BOTH seat control units AND the Overhead Control Unit (Part# 203-820-62-01). I've taken both fuses out, except for the overhead unit because I don't know which fuse it is. The repair is $2,665.58 or close to half trade-in value of the car. Can anyone help me with the following:
1 Which is the fuse for the Overhead Control Unit.
2. Where are these units. I intend to take them out and have them checked by someone who knows quite a bit about this type of thing. I will post any findings resulting from this.
3. In case the above doesn't work, will TemjinX2-battery-drain-fix be made to fix both seats AND the overhead controller.
4. Re the TemjinX2 fix, what it does is disonnects the control unit when the car is turned off, right?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:14 PM

c240
Draining Battery "overhead control module"

Hi..I have a 2001 c240..Same deal, battery draining..Stealer said it was the "Overhead control module" had to be replaced...when we said we didn't have $ to replace it at the time,he bypassed it..so we have no interior lights or sunroof function...I was wondering if I could do a similar fix as the posted seat module fix, using the cigar lighter voltage to relay trigger so it would only activate when keywas in position #2...Any thoughts before I torch it... lol
Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by gonzaloemendez
I am having similar problems with the seat control units, except that in my case the car was diagnosed as having THREE control units failing. Not actually failing, but discharging the battery. These are: BOTH seat control units AND the Overhead Control Unit (Part# 203-820-62-01). I've taken both fuses out, except for the overhead unit because I don't know which fuse it is. The repair is $2,665.58 or close to half trade-in value of the car. Can anyone help me with the following:
1 Which is the fuse for the Overhead Control Unit.
2. Where are these units. I intend to take them out and have them checked by someone who knows quite a bit about this type of thing. I will post any findings resulting from this.
3. In case the above doesn't work, will TemjinX2-battery-drain-fix be made to fix both seats AND the overhead controller.
4. Re the TemjinX2 fix, what it does is disonnects the control unit when the car is turned off, right?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

i would PM topgun about which fuse to pull for the over head controller, he has a thread about it.

if you can find which wire supplies power to the module then, yes you can do the relay fix.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C32, 03 ML55
Overhead lighting unit

My overhead lighting unit was draining my battery as well. As a quick fix, I pulled it down and disconnected the wires till I found the one running the fan. I don't think I have any lights from it anymore, however, my car will start reliably. I think when the seat unit goes, it does something to the overhead lighting unit and the fan runs constantly. Is a temp fix, but far from the big bucks on your quote.

Good luck.

Don
Old 10-06-2009, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
how long should this take to do for each side?
Old 10-07-2009, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jturkel
how long should this take to do for each side?
well you dont have to use a relay...you can just use a switch. The hardest part is just finding a good ground. So if you can find a good ground rather quickly...i would say a 5-10min.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
well you dont have to use a relay...you can just use a switch. The hardest part is just finding a good ground. So if you can find a good ground rather quickly...i would say a 5-10min.
PM'd
Old 10-07-2009, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i pm'ed you back
Old 10-12-2009, 05:22 PM

Hey guys,

I just got off the phone with the stealership and was told that it would be around $800 to fix my door module. The problems I am having is that the doors will not lock and the passenger side window is not working. Sounds like I am having the same same issue as some people that have posted. Can anyone tell me if this solution will work.. if so, I have a friend that is good with electronics.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i believe the door module and the seat module are two separate things. It sounds like your door module went bad rather causing a power drain.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
i believe the door module and the seat module are two separate things. It sounds like your door module went bad rather causing a power drain.
+1 two separate things i had two rear door modules replaced under warranty and they were really expensive.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by aolsen
good to know...My C230 has the power module for leaning and moving the seat up/down, but it manually moves forward and back. The first night I drove my car home, I fixed my seat into a comfortable position, and later that same night it stopped working.
Yours more than likely doesn't have the control module. yours just has a relay that the solder breaks in. If the car doesn't have memory function then it won't have the module. the SLK32's don't have memory and the relay for the seats is in the dash... a bit of a bear to get to. you can buy a new one... more than likely same part number which I will look up when I get home, or you can repair the old by opening it up and re-soldering it
Old 07-16-2010, 01:18 PM

2003 c240
Originally Posted by thtguy
Yours more than likely doesn't have the control module. yours just has a relay that the solder breaks in. If the car doesn't have memory function then it won't have the module. the SLK32's don't have memory and the relay for the seats is in the dash... a bit of a bear to get to. you can buy a new one... more than likely same part number which I will look up when I get home, or you can repair the old by opening it up and re-soldering it
do you have a diagram of where in the dash this is located? my switch to move the back support forward just stopped working. Do you think that this will fix it?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 AM

GLC250d AMG Line
Does anyone know if the seat can be manually cranked up? My passenger seat controller has failed with the seat only a couple of inches off the floor. Got the module removed, but it will be difficult to get it back in after repair. Can the seat be manually cranked up?
Alan
Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
If one contemplates the gearing the motor is going through I doubt it can be manually cranked. You could loosen the seat rails or loosen the two U shaped clamps that hold the seat to it's front mounting hoop.

I think the C32 has metal brackets & not clear plastic ones - This pic was from an el cheapo bottom of the range model but the seat mechanism is the same.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it'll probably easy just to take off the seat.

Here's a easier fix for the battery drain. I tested this myself and it seems to work.

http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23552
Old 08-03-2010, 01:49 AM

GLC250d AMG Line
OK thanks Temjin.

Just sold the car last week with a faulty module. The module is away for refurbishment. I had this done to the drivers side and the repair was successful, so hopefully the passenger one can be repaired as well.

When it's returned do you need to do the full range of movement like when you disconnect the battery and need to reset the windows/steering pos'n?

Thanks
Alan
Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
TemjinX2 for the win...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AlanMcLean
OK thanks Temjin.

Just sold the car last week with a faulty module. The module is away for refurbishment. I had this done to the drivers side and the repair was successful, so hopefully the passenger one can be repaired as well.

When it's returned do you need to do the full range of movement like when you disconnect the battery and need to reset the windows/steering pos'n?

Thanks
Alan
you should ask glyn...i think the european and US versions are different. When i removed the seat control module and put it back. Everything worked fine except the memory settings were gone.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I'll be quite honest - I don't know - You will loose the memory settings but regarding doing a sort of synch - I don't know. With the limiter switches they use for the seat I would doubt you have to do the mirror etc thing but you will have to try or maybe another member can chime in.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM

looking for a c230
wouldn't it just be possible to splice a wire for each seat controller into the dome light? That way your seats only work when your car is either in the on position or you unlock it. that way you don't lose the seat functions, you would just need to double tap on the unlock button, because the first unlock would activate the power to the seat, while the second tap on the button would activate the seating program. The power would still be able to return via the other wire that doesn't even need to get cut. I am not sure of the voltage of the wire, but I would assume that you wouldn't even need a relay box, you should just be able to cut the one wire and splice in the new wire connected to the dome light into it. Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2010, 03:09 PM

2008 BMW 135i
ugh

once and for all...

can someone post a final wiring diagram of the correct way to wire this up with labels of which wires come from where. I have wasted half a day on this and it still does not work. All the follow-up posts and corrections just muddy the waters.

ALSO please note which connector and which specific wire controls the seat power.

thanks in advance!
Old 10-16-2010, 04:13 PM

2008 BMW 135i
clarification...

WHICH PIN FROM WHICH CONNECTOR TO WHICH 'OTHER' PIN?

Originally Posted by mleskovar
You can achieve the same results by leaving the wiring alone....opening the seat module....cutting the pin connection on the inside...bending it over until it touches the other pin connector.....and soldering it. Worked for me, no problems. The only difference is (as mentioned) it requires the key in position one to operate the seat and the memory function.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by savvy75
once and for all...

can someone post a final wiring diagram of the correct way to wire this up with labels of which wires come from where. I have wasted half a day on this and it still does not work. All the follow-up posts and corrections just muddy the waters.

ALSO please note which connector and which specific wire controls the seat power.

thanks in advance!
just follow the updated diy someone else did. its much easier.

it'll probably easy just to take off the seat.

Here's a easier fix for the battery drain. I tested this myself and it seems to work.

http://www.mymbonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23552

i tested it myself and it works.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: TemjinX2's $20 seat control battery drain fix