C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Key wont work after car wash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 E450 Sedan 4Matic
Key wont work after car wash

I will first off say that my only key was pretty weak to begin with and I would have to stand anywhere from 6 inches to 10 feet to the sensor for it to work, even after changing batteries.

Ok so earlier today I pulled the car out of the garage to wash it. After washing it I cant start the car. I put the key in the switch and it won't recognize it and definately wont turn. The door open/lock/trunk on the key wont work and the red light on the key wont blink either.

Right now, the car is left open as I don't want to close it out of fear of not being able to open it again. I wouldn't be able to shut off the alarm either.

After a few hours, I tried the door open and it worked like 3 times. I tried the ignition and after 10 tries of putting the key in and out, it recognized once but immediately stopped. And now I'm back to nothing.

Anyone have any advise? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 AM

I drive a Toyota Hybrid...
happened to me before, you need to get your radio antana replace

gotta love warranty got it replaced for no charge and got a free dealer car wash

+ another C230 coupe loaner

all free
Old 10-16-2008, 01:45 AM

2019 E450 Sedan 4Matic
wait.... a radio antenna can do that?? like the thing on top of the rear window?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
You can lock your car with the metal key that comes on newer key models. And I have a friendly suggestion - get a backup key.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:00 AM

2019 E450 Sedan 4Matic
Originally Posted by kindafast
You can lock your car with the metal key that comes on newer key models. And I have a friendly suggestion - get a backup key.
It's in my driveway so I'm not really worried, but yeah I do need a 2nd key. I recently bought the car so I haven't gotten around to that and I was too stupid to realize that it should have come with 2 keys. But it should still work in the ignition right?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by kirax2
happened to me before, you need to get your radio antana replace

gotta love warranty got it replaced for no charge and got a free dealer car wash

+ another C230 coupe loaner
all free
The Antenna is in the left back C pillar. I don't believe it's the antenna. If you stick the key in the ignition & it does not recognise through the IR link in the end of the key then the problem lies with the key? Not so?

Check you have no crap on the IR lense in the tip of the key & no crap in the ignition switch that could block the IR beam.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
I would imagine that its your batteries on your key... I never heard of recharging those batteries? Maybe you should just replace them?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TruTaing
I would imagine that its your batteries on your key... I never heard of recharging those batteries? Maybe you should just replace them?
+1 Tru - and keys do fail I'm afraid. Let's hope it's just batteries.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Luckily i have 3 keys for my ride...
Old 10-16-2008, 07:23 PM

2019 E450 Sedan 4Matic
ok I just bought a key at the dealership, coming in tomorrow. hoping that fixes the problem. i'm pretty sure it is the key since the red light no longer blinks after pressing a button. brand new batteries dont work on it either. thanks for the help guys, atleast I have an excuse to get the chrome version lol.
btw why is the hood/vent designed so that water can go straight underneath to the components. the water channels arent very good. it rained last night and i checked under the hood for water and there were lots of places where water had gotten into that i dont think it should have. i think the battery ground wires were laying in water?

Last edited by rinosaur; 10-16-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The key and the electronic ignition switch (EIS) have been designed so that if the batteries in the key fail, or if your drinking buddies remove them to have a laugh, you can still open the door and start the car.

The key has three ways to connect to the car. There is a radio frequency transmitter that sends a code to the car when a button on the key is pressed. This goes through the air like an FM radio signal. There is also an infrared LED in the nose that can communicate with the infrared receiver in the drivers door handle. This a beam of light, and you must be much closer to the car, than with the RF system. Both of these paths require working coin battries in the remote. There is a visible red LED on the key that flashes when a button is pressed if there is enough juice in the batteries to operate the RF and IR functions allied with a key press.

The third communication route does not need a button pressed or a battery in the key. This is the infrared communication between the key and the EIS. You might be asking "So where does the power come from to light the led in the key?" It comes from the EIS through the air! There is a transformer primary in the area where you insert the key. Inside the key is a transformer secondary. When you insert the key into the EIS, it puts an AC wave into the primary. A current is then induced into the secondary in the key. This provides the electricty for the key to tell the EIS who he is and why the car should start.

This means you can unlock the door with your metal key, and start the car with the key that has flat or no batteries in it.

Last edited by Moviela; 10-17-2008 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Moviela
The key and the electronic ignition switch (EIS) have been designed so that if the batteries in the key fail, or if your drinking buddies remove them to have a laugh, you can still open the door and start the car.

The key has three ways to connect to the car. There is a radio frequency transmitter that sends a code to the car when a button on the key is pressed. This goes through the air like an FM radio signal. There is also an infrared LED in the nose that can communicate with the infrared receiver in the drivers door handle. This a beam of light, and you must be much closer to the car, than with the RF system. Both of these paths require working coin battries in the remote. There is a visible red LED on the key that flashes when a button is pressed if there is enough juice in the batteries to operate the RF and IR functions allied with a key press.

The third communication route does not need a button pressed or a battery in the key. This is the infrared communication between the key and the EIS. You might be asking "So where does the power come from to light the led in the key?" It comes from the EIS through the air! There is a transformer primary in the area where you insert the key. Inside the key is a transformer secondary. When you insert the key into the EIS, it puts an AC wave into the primary. A current is then induced into the secondary in the key. This provides the electricty for the key to tell the EIS who he is and why the car should start.

This means you can unlock the door with your metal key, and start the car with the key that has flat or no batteries in it.
+ 1 - but if the electronics in the key have failed you're in the soup.