C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Now my engine light is on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Sport Coupe
Unhappy Now my engine light is on

Well guess what happened to me this past Tuesday!? Yep, that's right - the exact same thing that happened to mmutlu . What make things worse is that this is the same issue I had with my Honda. After a month of waiting on them to get backordered parts, I got tired of it and bought a Mercedes. Now it seems that it has caught up with me again. I'm going to have to take some test tubes to my gas station and have some tests run or something because this is ridiculous.

I don't even understand how it happened. I drove it up the street to grab lunch, and then back. I let it idle outside while I grabbed the food (I know, I know, but trust me. It's so rural here that it was a safe thing to do). I drove it back and parked it. When I left at 6:30, it ran rough just like mmutlu's did with the same result. This is not an unusual trip and I was sure it left it plenty enough time to get warmed up so as not to leave the chambers cold.

That's what I get for thinking I was so smart. Normally these things don't get to me, but I am supposed to be seeing friends this weekend who will be riding with me in my new car. Not only is it a 2000 mile round trip during which I get to stare at my check engine light, but now, instead of "Hey nice car!" I'll get to hear "Hey nice car. What is that light on for?" since my dealer can't see me until next Tuesday.

Bloody hell.
Old 01-17-2002, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
So is it still running rough w/ the light on? Hmmm. Then it doesn't sound to be intermittent. Didn't mmutlu's light go off after a while? Anyway, good luck. Where are you going on your "road trip"?
Old 01-17-2002, 08:45 PM

C230 Sport Coupe
No, it's running fine now as far as I can tell. I saw in the manual that it could go out by itself after 3 successful "cycles." I don't know exactly what counts as a "cycle," but I'm pretty sure I'm past it now. I was under the impression that mmutlu's light was cleared by the dealer (mmutlu, if you read this, feel free to chime in). Naturally I hope it goes off by itself, and I don't think it is a big deal. It's just a bit disappointing.

Anyway, my road trip is taking me up to Northern VA/DC. It's really a 1000 mile round trip. My engine light stress must have messed up what few math skills I have.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 GL450 2010 GL550 2020 Sprinter 4x4
Not sure where the engine light is on the dash, but a little black electrical tape may help hide the 'defect' from your friends. Plus, you won't go cross-eyed from looking at the light for 2000 miles.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Why dont you just take the car down to any old workshop, ask them to plug their scantool in and scan [and note down] the fault codes and to reset the fault codes. The light will go out. If the fault is still there [or intermittent] it will come back again, if not then tell the MB dealer what the fault codes (DTCs) were
Old 01-18-2002, 04:26 PM

2002 C230K Sport Coupe M6 C5 desert silver
Don't you have MB roadside assistance and warranty coverage?
Old 01-18-2002, 05:04 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Did your problem start after filling the car up?

Randy
Old 01-18-2002, 11:16 PM

Good point Randy. The same thing happened to my wife's C280 a couple of years ago. After a visit to the gas station the engine light came on - it turned out to be the gas cap which was not closed all the way. And yes, after turning the engine on and off another two times - the light went out.
Old 01-19-2002, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

C230k coupe
Originally posted by o2bsurreal
No, it's running fine now as far as I can tell. I saw in the manual that it could go out by itself after 3 successful "cycles." I don't know exactly what counts as a "cycle," but I'm pretty sure I'm past it now. I was under the impression that mmutlu's light was cleared by the dealer (mmutlu, if you read this, feel free to chime in). Naturally I hope it goes off by itself, and I don't think it is a big deal. It's just a bit disappointing.

Anyway, my road trip is taking me up to Northern VA/DC. It's really a 1000 mile round trip. My engine light stress must have messed up what few math skills I have.
o2bsurreal- I am a little late to respond but here I am. Yes the light was cleared up by the dealer and the car was running with no problems even if the light was on. The dealer did not have time to go through a whole set of tests -since I was squeezed in their schedule at the last minute- to understand the real reason why. However he said it was a minor thing and it would have been ok. to drive. He just reset it and advised me not to top off when filling it up the gas tank. It was a frustrating experience. So don't freak out but I don't know if I would put 2000 miles on it when the check engine light is on.
Keep us informed.