C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

HID KIT Question!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes Benz C230K SS
HID KIT Question!

Ok... so I'm in the market now for a HID KIT for my 2005 C230 Kompressor.

I typically "research" everything before I get into anything! I'm starting to see that there's alot of competition when it comes to selection. All I really know at this point is that I do want 6000K

I've seen some cheap stuff on ebay vs good stuff other's use (name brand's)

What do you guys think? Or can someone help steer me in the right direction on where to get a set for both my headlights and fogs!

THANKS GUYS! BTW... I did " S T F T "
Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
good choice with the 6000K.

I bought cheap kits for my high beams and fog lights just because they're both secondary type of lights and aren't necessarily needed for normal driving. With that said, I've had good luck with the cheap kits I bought. If you think about it, you can buy a spare kit just in case one set fails. Just how I see it.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What seperates cheap from expensive probably has more to with marketing hype than quality. I have had good luck buying the absolute least expensive kit I can get. Just bought a set from vvme.com for $40 and $26 DHL 2nd day shipping from China, haven't tried them yet but people seem to like this guy. I can tell you he is very communicative, sent me status emails every day.

Look at it this way, all the components, bulb, ballast, clip, wires are made in China. My guess is someone sets up a shop assembling these components into kits. These kits wholesale in China for about $25-30. Is one better than another, maybe yes, maybe no. My advice from my experience, is buy cheap and buy 2 kits. So a year or two from now when a bulb or ballast burns out, you can just swap in a whole new ballast and bulb. Heck, $40 is cheaper than what they used to charge for fake Xenons that were Halogens with blue tint. Just remember, these guys go in and out of business, don't count on a warranty, be your own warranty.

Also, it's hit and miss if your car needs programming or not, many don't need it and many do. Mine needed programming and the dealer did it as part of the B service but he said if I just came in for just that, it would have cost me an hour's labor. Basically, if you are not sure, go in ahead of time and ask them to change the ECU option called XENON to present. It will work fine with your Halogens until you get the HID kit.

Some sellers sell or give you a harness with a large resistor to fool the sensors. I personally do not like that idea but some people are happy with it.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
What seperates cheap from expensive probably has more to with marketing hype than quality. I have had good luck buying the absolute least expensive kit I can get. Just bought a set from vvme.com for $40 and $26 DHL 2nd day shipping from China, haven't tried them yet but people seem to like this guy. I can tell you he is very communicative, sent me status emails every day.

Look at it this way, all the components, bulb, ballast, clip, wires are made in China. My guess is someone sets up a shop assembling these components into kits. These kits wholesale in China for about $25-30. Is one better than another, maybe yes, maybe no. My advice from my experience, is buy cheap and buy 2 kits. So a year or two from now when a bulb or ballast burns out, you can just swap in a whole new ballast and bulb. Heck, $40 is cheaper than what they used to charge for fake Xenons that were Halogens with blue tint. Just remember, these guys go in and out of business, don't count on a warranty, be your own warranty.

Also, it's hit and miss if your car needs programming or not, many don't need it and many do. Mine needed programming and the dealer did it as part of the B service but he said if I just came in for just that, it would have cost me an hour's labor. Basically, if you are not sure, go in ahead of time and ask them to change the ECU option called XENON to present. It will work fine with your Halogens until you get the HID kit.

Some sellers sell or give you a harness with a large resistor to fool the sensors. I personally do not like that idea but some people are happy with it.

I used VVME for my two kits. Ordered an extra set just to be safe.

the Xenon=present setting is only for the low beams. Fog lights will error no matter what without a capacitor, or a resistor.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by e1000

the Xenon=present setting is only for the low beams. Fog lights will error no matter what without a capacitor, or a resistor.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03 W203, 13 E350, 13 W204, 14 C218
I have a set of 6000k with anti flicker's you will love them man. I have an extra set if you are interested.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hmm, good idea, I can use my new set for high beams. I got them for my kid's SLK but I just found out they halos I put on a few months ago use H1.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Civic 2007
Hi, I'd put in a vote for 5000k or even 4300k if you're open to considering options that way. I got the KLIGHT kit a year and a half ago and it's been going strong every since. It's much cheaper now than it was back then.

German (how appropriate for this page!) scientists looked at the best color temperature for night vision and found that 4100k was tops. Higher k actually created eye fatigue. If my bulbs ever go out, I'll be going with 4300k.

Good luck with your project!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:22 AM

Is @ Home
Originally Posted by e1000

I've tried the VVME kit and the Denso OEM Toyota ones on my fogs and no errors before and after xenons were set present. Is it just my car or others as well?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:10 AM

Where are you in Socal? What do you expect to spend? I have a friend who is importer in LA...Neary by 605FWY and Frys.
If you are interested in...please let me know lor. I can hook you up for free installation....he has several brands for you to choose...anti-blinker is included...You do not need to set xenon=present ..

PM me...

Last edited by eriklin; 01-12-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Originally Posted by coastale
Hi, I'd put in a vote for 5000k or even 4300k if you're open to considering options that way. I got the KLIGHT kit a year and a half ago and it's been going strong every since. It's much cheaper now than it was back then.

German (how appropriate for this page!) scientists looked at the best color temperature for night vision and found that 4100k was tops. Higher k actually created eye fatigue. If my bulbs ever go out, I'll be going with 4300k.

Good luck with your project!
1+ i agree.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
1+ i agree.
i say get 5000k! that's what i have and it's perfect. it's white, yet still a little subtle bluish
Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 AM

Sl500
I found that most of the so called "brands" are fakes anyway, when it comes to HID. Bosch for example, do not make HID kits (I rang them up), but there's lots of them around.... so go for something relatively cheap, make sure the ballasts are digital

http://cscarparts.com/shop/productsl...ion=2&Zone=132