C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2006 C280 suddenly lose audio system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230k 6spd
id say ur CDC is crappin out on you... the audio system in this car needs a loop from Head Unit to CDC to work.. if the CDC breaks then you will not have sound but the Head unit will appear to work (song info and such).. try reconnecting and stuff if its dead.. you can replace it or get a coupler to eliminate it..
Old 08-26-2009, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
As I posted awhile back, two fairly inexpensive options exist
1) have the dealer check to see if the amp software is updated.
2) Replace the fiberoptic cable from CDC to headunit.

If it continues after that, you have a bad amp and that will cost you $1k at least.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:52 PM

W203-4M W163
Audio C Class

Originally Posted by autojava
Hi, Guys:
The audio system work fine on the road when I sent my daughter for piano class. One hour later, when I start the car, then audio system has gone.
There has radio station (FM 101.3) or CD track info, but no sound. Also, when I select CDC, it says no CDC. I try to adjust the volume, nothing happens. The switch on/off button works fine though. Any idea?
Exact same thing happened with mine. I brought it into the dealer, and they replaced the amplifier. That was 8 months ago, and it hasn't happened since.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:10 PM

W203-4M W163
Just happened to me again. As I mentioned in my previous post, the dealer replaced it earlier this year. I will ask for a new amp AGAIN. Thank goodness it's still under warranty--I'd like to get this solved before it goes out of warranty!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:07 AM

2006 C230
I didn't know the amp is under warranty? I have the same problem with my 2006 C230. It just happened a week ago and the dealer wanted to charge us almost $2000. I said no of course because I want to see if there's a cheaper way to buy another amp without the dealer involved.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 AM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by akoaypinay
I didn't know the amp is under warranty? I have the same problem with my 2006 C230. It just happened a week ago and the dealer wanted to charge us almost $2000. I said no of course because I want to see if there's a cheaper way to buy another amp without the dealer involved.
Yup, my dealer replaced it, no charge--I can send you the bill with the big fat $0/No charge on it if you need it to prod your dealer. Also replaced the rear passenger speaker, which was rattling when acoustic (solo piano for example) music was played.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:47 PM

2006 C230
Smile

I may do that if they refuse to replace my amp for no charge. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:16 PM

W203-4M W163
Again

And I continue to have problems with this, even after they replaced the amp. Has cut out again, and my AM Talk Radio sounds like CRAP. Rattling sounds from who knows where. What the he11 is up with the HK Benz system?

Car stereos aren't rocket science. Send them some current, and they should work just fine.

Very annoying to be dealing with this over and over again.

Anyone have more info?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Are you sure you don't have another bad amp? Maybe a bad install? Take it back in!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 PM

W203-4M W163
I'm definitely going to bring it back to them at my next service, while it's still under warranty. I have trouble believing that both the original amp and this amp were malfunctioning--that seems improbable. Could be something in the electrical system, fuse problem maybe? Who knows.

The rattle issues are also puzzling. Why AM Talk Radio? Previously, acoustic piano caused a rattle in the rear, but they replaced the speaker and now it works fine.

Good to know I'm not the only one dealing with this, but this shouldn't be happening. Stereos just aren't that complicated.

Last edited by FraKctured; 11-16-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:46 PM

2003 C320 4Matic
this just happened to my car as well =(, was messing around trying to fix the cd changer, and now no sound comes out when its on radio... really hoping i didn't mess something up lol. anyways how do i know if i have a Harmon Kardon?

hm actually, fixed it myself lol, just a little note here for anyone who may have this problem.. When i was trying to fix my CD Changer, i gave up and disconnected it completely (unplugged the entire box and had it in the house), and the radio wouldnt work, once i reconnected it, the sound came back to the speakers from the radio, so check that as well

Last edited by 03MBC320; 12-20-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:59 PM

2002 c320 wagon
Amp for placement

I've got a 2002 C320 wagon that's done some of these same things. I popped the fiber optic connection off of the CD changer, and there was no signal at start up. I tried a different CD changer, and that didn't fix it. I popped the harness off the amplifier, and there was significant corrosion which I am told comes from water leaking into the trunk on these Benz's. The inside of the amplifier shows some stress and corrosion as well.

My head unit has always continued to display the radio channels, but doesn't recognize the CD changer etc., and I get no sound whatsoever from the speakers.

My Bose amplifier is a 203 820 15 89. Does anyone have doubts as to whether my problem is the amp rather than the fiber-optic loop? Also, does anyone know if other part numbers will exchange with my amplifier? I have seen references to at least three different 203 820 .. 89 amplifier part numbers. Mine has a purple main harness connector and the ones I've seen on eBay are all a different color.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 PM

2005 c230 kompressor sedan
Unhappy everything works fine but not sounds

I did everything you guys said on this post , now my HU sees the CDC and when I switch cd it works ...but the option surround sounds is missing from the option and there is no sounds coming out from the speaker , I took the AMP out from the trunk don't seems to be broken ... it all happened after I took the car to car wash ..... is there a way I can do to bypass the CDC ??
Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Can you look at an amp and tell if it is broken or not? I can't recall exactly, but it seems like I've heard mentioned on here that it is possible water damage to the amp in the trunk that causes the failure.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM

2006 C230
Yes, my amp was bad after the service people washed my serviced car. Supposedly water got into a hole that was missing a rubber plug above where the amp was (mind you, the service guy told me I was missing it so it wasn't their fault, which when we tried to pop one of those plugs from other holes around the trunk, it's kind of hard so I don't know how one will pop out without being forced). The amp was put where a water can damage it so I really believe that it's a flaw with the car manufacturer or it's just one of those cahooted way to make more money from the people who are crazy about the Benz (like me). Since you can't buy the HK system outside the MB parts dept., you only have two choices; one, to buy a new amp which would cost $2000 installed from the dealership, or replace ur whole new system with another brand that will cost u also a few thousand dollars. From what I understood, that supposedly fiber optic that they put in the Benz cars are connected only if you have a telephone system installed in your car (my car has it but the phone is not connected;;;; thousand more dollars to connect one or put one).
Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're over quoting. The AMP is about a grand from a dealership.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:10 AM

2006 C230
@Matt, actually, I'm not over quoting. That's how much I got quoted here in the Sacramento area.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Okay then you need to find another dealership.. one that isn't gonna charge you double.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:25 PM

2005 c230 kompressor sedan
hey guys , I find out it's the amp that was bad from water damage ( from a car wash !!!) there is a easy way to test it out for each componet . just turn the key to on postion turn on the radio and unplug the FO wire from the componet that you need to test and look at the FO lights on the AMP or CDC if the light flash for couple seconds and turn off then it's good but if the FO light stays on or don't even have a light that means it bad .... I guess that will save you some money for check up from the dealer ....I am puting a aftermarket DVD nav in my car with 2 amp and 12" sub ... have all the stuff here will post pic once I am done with it
Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
Unhappy Same problem

I am having the same issue on my w203. It's a c230 Sport, 2005 with the HK surround head unit. I have have no problems with it until getting in it today. This morning it was great. I went to work, and let it sit in the shade all day. There was no rain or other water on the car. When I got in, the sound was not there. The head unit functioned normally, but when I tried the CD changer, it said NO CDC. I thought maybe it needed a power cycle, so I rebooted the car, pulled the key, waited a few seconds and restarted it. No Dice. I have read this post and some others. It seems like there is no definitive answer to this problem. Even after the amp is replaced it still has problems a few months down the road.

Has anyone come up with a solution? I was thinking about unplugging the main battery and letting it sit off for a few hours, but I figured that would give me a hassle with the main computer.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!

Matt|ttaM
Old 08-12-2010, 12:05 AM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by tiderfish
I am having the same issue on my w203. It's a c230 Sport, 2005 with the HK surround head unit. I have have no problems with it until getting in it today. This morning it was great. I went to work, and let it sit in the shade all day. There was no rain or other water on the car. When I got in, the sound was not there. The head unit functioned normally, but when I tried the CD changer, it said NO CDC. I thought maybe it needed a power cycle, so I rebooted the car, pulled the key, waited a few seconds and restarted it. No Dice. I have read this post and some others. It seems like there is no definitive answer to this problem. Even after the amp is replaced it still has problems a few months down the road.

Has anyone come up with a solution? I was thinking about unplugging the main battery and letting it sit off for a few hours, but I figured that would give me a hassle with the main computer.

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!

Matt|ttaM
If it continues to cause problems after amp replacement and multiple reboots/restarts, it is probably time (after 6 years) to consider just replacing the whole thing with an aftermarket unit.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:24 AM

C230 Kompressor Sport
Originally Posted by FraKctured
If it continues to cause problems after amp replacement and multiple reboots/restarts, it is probably time (after 6 years) to consider just replacing the whole thing with an aftermarket unit.
Whelp I haven't replaced anything yet. The dealership says it wont' be till Monday they can look at it. I was hoping I could jiggle the cd changer fiber and make it work again.

I looked under the rear parcel shelf, in the trunk, but I saw no amp. Where else could it be hiding? The drivers side houses the sub-woofer, and the passenger side has nothing there. Perhaps this unit doesn't' have an external amp?

As for replacing the whole thing: are there decent dash kits? I rather like the stock radio because of the way it fits in, and has a lot of buttons.

Thanks for your help!

Matt|ttaM
Old 08-12-2010, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nike Turbo Shox
Damn that amp is small. The plans I had for a W7 would destroy that amp.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
SOLUTION!

I have the solution to my problem. This may fix others but who knows. After not seeing the amp under the rear deck like others. I began to suspect the CD Changer. I looked up how to remove it, seems it's just one torx screw (T-20). So I dashed home to retrieve my T-20, and yanked out that screw. I slid out the changer, and was presented with 5 wires on the back in 2 harnesses. Two are thicker, and in a larger harness, the other three are slightly thinner. I started to doubt that my unit was an optical since the three wires looked like LEFT, RIGHT, and GROUND. Once removed I inserted the key and turned 2 clicks to ON ACC. No sound from headunit. Then I decided to pull what I thought were the power wires, the 2 thicker orange wires. And low and behold I see the LIGHT! Those oranges are the optical in and out. Once pulled the light shut off. I gave it the lucky Super Nintendo Cartridge blow (they were not dusty). I reinserted them into the changer, and before I heard the click of the harness BAM deafening music from the speakers! THE RADIO LIVES! w00t! That little Torx T-20 and this forum saved me countless hours of driving with no music, and hundreds or perhaps thousands of dollars in repairs!

THANKS MB WORLD!

Matt|ttaM
Old 08-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 c230 S.S.
ive always just taken out the 20amp fuse in the engine bay and reinserted....worked every time :-))))))))

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 C280 suddenly lose audio system