C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2006 C280 suddenly lose audio system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan w/Automatic
Originally Posted by tiderfish
I have the solution to my problem. This may fix others but who knows. After not seeing the amp under the rear deck like others. I began to suspect the CD Changer. I looked up how to remove it, seems it's just one torx screw (T-20). So I dashed home to retrieve my T-20, and yanked out that screw. I slid out the changer, and was presented with 5 wires on the back in 2 harnesses. Two are thicker, and in a larger harness, the other three are slightly thinner. I started to doubt that my unit was an optical since the three wires looked like LEFT, RIGHT, and GROUND. Once removed I inserted the key and turned 2 clicks to ON ACC. No sound from headunit. Then I decided to pull what I thought were the power wires, the 2 thicker orange wires. And low and behold I see the LIGHT! Those oranges are the optical in and out. Once pulled the light shut off. I gave it the lucky Super Nintendo Cartridge blow (they were not dusty). I reinserted them into the changer, and before I heard the click of the harness BAM deafening music from the speakers! THE RADIO LIVES! w00t! That little Torx T-20 and this forum saved me countless hours of driving with no music, and hundreds or perhaps thousands of dollars in repairs!

THANKS MB WORLD!

Matt|ttaM
Thanks for the follow up. I'm going to keep this information in my back pocket, in case my radio ever acts up again.

Leif W.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM

C230 Kompressor Sport
Originally Posted by CHiKompressor
ive always just taken out the 20amp fuse in the engine bay and reinserted....worked every time :-))))))))
That doesn't throw up a code? A check engine light or other error messages?

Matt|ttaM
Old 08-13-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 c230 S.S.
Originally Posted by tiderfish
That doesn't throw up a code? A check engine light or other error messages?

Matt|ttaM
nope well the car wasnt running. but ive had in the accesory position and the sound magically comes on
Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 AM

W203-4M W163
I tried the fuse as well, and it worked once, then didn't work the next time. The annoying thing about this problem is that it can just come back on all by itself after a day or two, so it's hard to know if what you just did to it was responsible for "fixing" it, or if it was just ready to work again on its own.

Thanks for the T20 info--I'll get that driver and try that fix if it happens again. Good luck and I hope the tunes are crankin' for y'all!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Exactly what I posted last year, check cable to CDC. Glad it fixed it. Mine did this within the first year of ownership and that's exactly what they did to fix it.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:04 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor
Taking out Fuse 26 and 64 has worked for me a few times over the years. I am however entertaining replacing the FM radio AMP as I can only open my car with Keyless sometimes with infrared only. ANNOYING! Anyone know of a quick fix or has anyone done it themselves?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 PM

C-280
Originally Posted by CHiKompressor
just happened to me again yesterday. After a little forum search and some exploring on the car i found the solution so in case this happens to anyone try this first. in the drivers side fuse compartment take out fuse 26 it should be 25A and white. I took it out inspected it and it seemed fine plugged it back and the audio came back immediately

This trick worked for me fine. Many thanks for psting a great time and money saving idea to fix this problem
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 SL450 '09 CLK350, '09 GL550, '05 Lotus Elise
I had a similar problem on my 09 CLK350, Harmon Kardon. Symptoms were very low and staticky radio only from center speaker and "NO CDC" error on head unit. CDs were in magazine and could not be ejected. CDC did not appear to have power. I pulled the CDC, the fiber cables had light from the head unit and occasionally blinked from the CDC.
I removed fuse #26 from the drivers side door area. This will apparently force a reset of the amp. Once I reinserted the fuse and retried the radio, full fidelity sound was restored!
Now onto fixing the CD changer. Apparently this same reset logic also applies. Removing and replacing fuse #20 located in the trunk fuse panel reset the CD changer. I tried the CD player and now it said "NO MAGAZINE". A small click was also noted coming from the CDC. It was still alive. I pulled fuse 20 again to reset again. This time when I tried the CDC everything started working.
I read one thread that blamed this on using ripped CDs and that they were thicker than store bought CDs. I looked into this because I had 4 ripped CDs in the magazine at the time this occurred. I removed the CDs and measured the thickness with a micrometer. They were actually 0.03mm thinner than the store bought CDs. With that said, I believe the root cause of this was a mis-loaded CD into the magazine which caused a jam and subsequent errors in the head unit and amp. So basically a reboot of the amp and cd changer resolved the issue.

Last edited by Rg1620; 01-18-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-15-2015, 08:48 PM

clk 320 convertable
no sound from the redio on a clk 320 convertable.

if you out there and you have this same problem, i know this guy that fix my own car when i had the same problem and he is very reasonable compared to what the dealers and other shop want me to pay them...he fix the sound and my speaker came back to life for only $280, i did not buy any amp or cable. you can contact him with this email. jabmotorsinc@gmail .com he is base out in washinton dc.

Last edited by vijay kuma; 06-15-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 01:44 PM

2007 C230 Sport
Fuse Worked

I followed the instructions here and opened the fuse location driver side. Took out the white fuse and reset , worked like a charm. My radio went ape **** on my way to work this morning ... Mute flashing on and off , all electronics worked but no sound.