C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Intake Manifold Work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrysler Crossfire
Intake Manifold Work

http://www.tvtdes********/m112_manifold

Some progress on our intake manifold porting and polishing.

We expect gains, but I'm not getting specific.

There's a decent room for improvement, but without supporting mods this is not something I would take on. With the right tools this is a 40-50 HR job. Also the internal parts or non-replaceable so please pick up a spare manifold before attempting on your car. New from MB they go for about 700.00.

We do have spares for 350.00 if interested.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
I am attempting this...... Just need to make sure the mani will fit. I figure while Im at it, I would paint the outside of the intake manifold + lay down some insulating sheets between the intake mani + engine + install the TVT intake spacers + catch can. In short, this will be a while till I finish.

Question to all: Will any c320's intake manifold fit on another c320 from another year?

Thanks!

-j0hn

edit: its nice to see the pix ahead of time! (Thanks Anthony) Any tips/advice would be great!

Last edited by TruTaing; 02-04-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Combined with an oversized throttle body, TVT_DESIGN’s modification has definite potential.
Originally Posted by TVT_DESIGN
…With the right tools this is a 40-50 HR job…
I make sawdust for a living, so you're welcome to make what you will of one skilled tradesman’s prevailing labor rates.
40 hours around here grosses ~$3000.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
Splinter, Project chrome dome made quite a bit of power on an m113. Hopefully, TVT will see the similar results on a v6 scale. I can imagine the addition of a bigger throttle body too NA m112 power here we come!

I'm imagining after 100+k miles without a catch can, there will be tons to clean off in the intake manifold that will help the overall "health" of the engine tremendously. This is more important than the actual gains IMHO, but I'd take the gains any day
Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Any manifold will fit from either a C320 or C240.

As for the labor rate, I put the hours down so people would realize that this is not a cheap mod. Realistically, I'd say that I'd be willing to clean, port, polish, and gasket match these manifolds for about 2600.00 not including the cost of the manifold. The problem is I don't think the HP/$ is right for the C320 market. This will however make doing the M113 manifolds that much easier.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
ohh i think i want one ..
Old 02-04-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 C320
Any manifold will fit from either a C320 or C240.

As for the labor rate, I put the hours down so people would realize that this is not a cheap mod. Realistically, I'd say that I'd be willing to clean, port, polish, and gasket match these manifolds for about 2600.00 not including the cost of the manifold. The problem is I don't think the HP/$ is right for the C320 market. This will however make doing the M113 manifolds that much easier.
Is all of the porting/polishing done with a dremel tool? Have you considered porting and polishing the heads to a M112 engine?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 PM

2001 C320
Originally Posted by TruTaing
Splinter, Project chrome dome made quite a bit of power on an m113. Hopefully, TVT will see the similar results on a v6 scale. I can imagine the addition of a bigger throttle body too NA m112 power here we come!
Do you have a link to this project?

I'm imagining after 100+k miles without a catch can, there will be tons to clean off in the intake manifold that will help the overall "health" of the engine tremendously. This is more important than the actual gains IMHO, but I'd take the gains any day
Tru, I've been considering that myself, I too have the 3.2 and no catch can. However, I was debating on making one or setting one up to put on. I think someone already did this in the C32 section of the forum.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:46 PM

not stock.
hmm... I can already think of it, a Renntech airbox, overbore throttle body, ported & polished intake mani, schrick cams, mild porting & polishing on the heads, good set of headers with high flow cats, evosport udps, magnecor wires, ik16 plugs, tvt injectors and some good Tune on a dyno to make it all work together...
Old 02-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
...I'm imagining after 100+k miles without a catch can, there will be tons to clean off in the intake manifold that will help the overall "health" of the engine tremendously...
True that.

Keeping the blowby smegma out of the intake tract increases airflow and, more importantly, minimizes the combustion chamber deposits that can (and do) increase the M112’s proclivity toward pre-ignition and its DME nanny intervention.

TVT_DESIGN: no disrespect intended.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Splinter, no disrespect taken. But that is a damn dirty manifold and exactly what they look like with all that gunk in there. The pic of our lower manifold is after many miles, but with the catch can installed. Much cleaner.

As for the heads, we have a meeting set up with a Master head porter (some NASCAR work and stuff) to see where we stand with the heads.

The M112/M113 is going to be very happy in the upcoming season if all of our projects go according to plan...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:04 AM
Moderator Alumni

w203 m112
Originally Posted by PA_Pete
Do you have a link to this project?

Tru, I've been considering that myself, I too have the 3.2 and no catch can. However, I was debating on making one or setting one up to put on. I think someone already did this in the C32 section of the forum.
Project chrome dome: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...rome-dome.html

I tried to make one that I found online, but the piping wasnt big enough for our m112....
Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 AM

2001 C320
Project chrome dome: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...rome-dome.html

I tried to make one that I found online, but the piping wasnt big enough for our m112....
Thanks bro! This is something that I've been wanting to do since I had my throttle body off and saw all of the blow-by residue in the intake manifold. Not necessarily polishing it, but giving it a good cleaning. Now, I do not have an extra intake, so if I attempt this, it will be the current intake that is on my car now. I'll obviously need to get my other car up and driving before I do this since it will render my MB "un-drivable" for an unknown amount of time. My next question is this, is this done with solvents and rags along with a dremel tool? Was fine-grit sand paper used? I don't have a parts washer, so this will all be done in the driveway/basement. Oh, and I probably won't be doing this until it gets a little warmer out. There are other specifics I'll need as well, such as the torque specs of the intake bolts, whether or not the intake gaskets can be/should be reused.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Chrysler Crossfire
Originally Posted by PA_Pete
Thanks bro! This is something that I've been wanting to do since I had my throttle body off and saw all of the blow-by residue in the intake manifold. Not necessarily polishing it, but giving it a good cleaning. Now, I do not have an extra intake, so if I attempt this, it will be the current intake that is on my car now. I'll obviously need to get my other car up and driving before I do this since it will render my MB "un-drivable" for an unknown amount of time. My next question is this, is this done with solvents and rags along with a dremel tool? Was fine-grit sand paper used? I don't have a parts washer, so this will all be done in the driveway/basement. Oh, and I probably won't be doing this until it gets a little warmer out. There are other specifics I'll need as well, such as the torque specs of the intake bolts, whether or not the intake gaskets can be/should be reused.
You really should get a second manifold, if you destroy (and its easy) the gasket between the top and bottom of the manifold there is no replacement. If you are doing it on your manifold be extremely careful.

As for the porting it is done with a dremel, carbid bits, grinding stones, fine and coarse sand paper, and finished up with some polishing bits. The hardest thing is just getting the inside pieces to come out.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM

2001 C320
You really should get a second manifold, if you destroy (and its easy) the gasket between the top and bottom of the manifold there is no replacement. If you are doing it on your manifold be extremely careful.
Are you serious! What would happen if you destroyed the gasket, would you have to make a new one out of Permatex? Get a new intake?

As for the porting it is done with a dremel, carbid bits, grinding stones, fine and coarse sand paper, and finished up with some polishing bits. The hardest thing is just getting the inside pieces to come out.
Thanks, however, I don't think I would attempt to port and polish my own intake alone. Thank you for the helpful hints!