C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Weird happenings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240 2002
Weird happenings

I have a 2002 C240 and have some questions about how the heating system works. I have the standard climate control system with a fan dial on the left hand side and an air flow direction dial on the right. I can't figure out how to set the right hand dial nor can a figure out how to keep the my calfs (my legs not baby cows) from feeling cold.

I understand that the upward arrow is to have the air flow from the upper vents, and the downward arrow is to have the air flow to the floor. Logically, the up and down arrow has the air flowing from both the upper vents and the floor vents. What does the setting represented by the two rectangles do?

Also, do any of you have any idea why if I have the air flow set at the up and down arrows, the backs of my legs would be cold while I'm driving? It almost seems like there is cold air coming from under the seat.

Thanks,
Dick
Old 01-30-2003, 02:05 PM

I'll answer before anyone else does - RTFM.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:19 PM

C240 2002
Originally posted by viper
I'll answer before anyone else does - RTFM.
Sorry, I'm confused by your answer. What does RFFM mean? Ok, someone gave me the definition below.

I understand that my question, might, to you, sound nieve, but to me, I was a valid and necessary question. I did RTFM and didn't get the answer that I needed. What the manual appears to say is that the air direction dial only works when the system is not on automatic, and that the temparature should be set at 72 degrees and remain there. Now perhaps I mis-read the manual or remembered something incorrectly that I read a while ago. Regardless, I chose to ask other C-Class owners in the belief that this would eliminate the confusion. Oh, by the way, I did bring the car to the dealer yesterday to have them check on the cold at the back of my legs. They couldn't give me any answers.

Thank you for your most helpful answer!

Last edited by rgleason; 01-30-2003 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:22 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
The up arrows mean defroster/windshield vents, and the boxes mean face level dash vents.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
RTFM= Read the *******g Manual.

I'm bored at work today so I'll help you out.

Do you see the blue dial between the 2 center dash mounted air vent? roll that down so no cold air will come out. Make sure that both temp dials are set to max heat, 80F I believe. Pointing the right vent selector knob to the "2 squares" position will make warm or cold air come out every vent in the car.

Hope that helps
Old 01-30-2003, 02:44 PM

C240 2002
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
RTFM= Read the *******g Manual.
Oh, thanks for the clarification. I did read the *******g manual and was as confused after I read it than before.

I'm bored at work today so I'll help you out.

Do you see the blue dial between the 2 center dash mounted air vent? roll that down so no cold air will come out. Make sure that both temp dials are set to max heat, 80F I believe. Pointing the right vent selector knob to the "2 squares" position will make warm or cold air come out every vent in the car.

Hope that helps
Thank you.

Dick
Old 01-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by rgleason
Oh, thanks for the clarification. I did read the *******g manual and was as confused after I read it than before.
You're not alone, Dick.

Best thing is to close the windows, stop the car, and just play around with it. I mean the HVAC system, of course. There are children present! :p
Old 01-30-2003, 07:05 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
LOL

Originally posted by tommy
You're not alone, Dick.

Best thing is to close the windows, stop the car, and just play around with it. I mean the HVAC system, of course. There are children present! :p
Old 01-30-2003, 07:50 PM

MB C230K
One thing I'm a little bugged about is the lack of forced air in the car as you are driving at freeway speeds. In manual mode, I have to turn the fan above 3 in order to get any airflow going. Other cars I've owned have had such good forced air flowing in - you didn't really need a fan as long as the car was moving. But perhaps this was a design decision (forced air is hard to turn off).

And I also note the car tends to fog up inside quicker than most when you run in EC (Economy) mode.

--Steffen
Old 01-30-2003, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by steffen
One thing I'm a little bugged about is the lack of forced air in the car as you are driving at freeway speeds.
Try getting in the car in the summer when the climate control is completely turned off. There is absolutely NO airflow. I get in cars sometimes when people have them turned off and start driving before I notice it. On really hot days, I can only take it for maybe 10 seconds. You start roasting immediately and it's hard to breath. That's when you notice there is no forced air.
Old 01-30-2003, 10:20 PM

Opening a window will force some air in!
try that.

Originally posted by Matt230K
Try getting in the car in the summer when the climate control is completely turned off. There is absolutely NO airflow. I get in cars sometimes when people have them turned off and start driving before I notice it. On really hot days, I can only take it for maybe 10 seconds. You start roasting immediately and it's hard to breath. That's when you notice there is no forced air.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by VoyagerDude
Opening a window will force some air in!
try that.

I know, I'm not that stupid. Just stating the extremes, how bad it can get because there is absolutely no airflow if the climate control is turned off. When I say it is unbearable, I mean in the few seconds until I realize that it is turned off, and then I turn the A/C on.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by steffen
One thing I'm a little bugged about is the lack of forced air in the car as you are driving at freeway speeds. In manual mode, I have to turn the fan above 3 in order to get any airflow going. Other cars I've owned have had such good forced air flowing in - you didn't really need a fan as long as the car was moving. But perhaps this was a design decision (forced air is hard to turn off).

And I also note the car tends to fog up inside quicker than most when you run in EC (Economy) mode.

--Steffen
You sure you didn't have recirc set "on"? That will stop air flow coming in the vents w/o the fan running...
Old 01-31-2003, 01:19 AM

Didn't mean to insult you.
just having fun

I know, I'm not that stupid. Just stating the extremes, how bad it can get because there is absolutely no airflow if the climate control is turned off. When I say it is unbearable, I mean in the few seconds until I realize that it is turned off, and then I turn the A/C on.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Didn't mean to insult you.
just having fun
I know, I just didn't want it to sound like I sit in the car baking thinking, "How in the hell do I get some fresh air in here?"
Old 01-31-2003, 10:48 AM

Just had a thought, can you imagine if cars were like office buildings where you can't open a window. That would be scary.

I know, I just didn't want it to sound like I sit in the car baking thinking, "How in the hell do I get some fresh air in here?"
Old 01-31-2003, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Just had a thought, can you imagine if cars were like office buildings where you can't open a window. That would be scary.
Yeah, but they could probably have some pretty neat designs if they didn't have to worry about the windows opening. You would have to give up the pana roof though.