C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

crank BELT is TEARING!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crank BELT is TEARING!

I just installed my indash dvd today. After I was done, i just took a quick look at the pulley.s THe crank belt/sc belt is torn half its width.

I found shreds of belt all over.

Any idea what would cause this? I have been experienceing a nasty squeak at idle and that wierd noise I made a post about earlier in the week.

I brought it to the dealer, the clamed to check the pulley's but im suprized they didnt see this.

Look
Old 02-01-2003, 04:27 PM

I JUST got my car back on friday too Anyways I got an appointment for monday, do u think if i use it it will snap this weekend? It could have been like this for awhile, the only noise is a slight sqeak at idle.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
It was probably due to a belt tensioner failure. I wouldn't drive it like that, there's not much belt left.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:48 PM

What exactly fails on teh tensioner? Does it just wobble and develop play?

I will be taking it in on monday. I am drivin the clk for now. Its ashame too because I just installed my dvd and wanted to use it
Old 02-01-2003, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
I wouldn't drive it if I were you. You can replace the belt yourself if you really want to drive the car. I assume you can find the right size at an auto parts store. Years ago, cars used to only have belts about that size. But since yours is torn, it has an edge that could be fraying and could break some more. So I wouldn't drive it.

If you do drive it and happen to see a light come on the dash for your alternator, then you probably broke the belt. You will also notice a loss of power because the supercharger will stop turning. But the real problem is that you have two belts on there. So if one breaks, it could get caught in the other one and cause some more problems.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:52 PM

Whats funny is that I have no clue how long Ive been drivin aroudn like this.

I had loud motor chatter last week like bangin and grinding, couild this have bene the belt/tensioner?

It is all coming together now if it was that. There is also a nasty squeak when it idles sometime.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
your pretty lucky u found that your self, you would not want to go on a long trip like that.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:10 AM

My service advisor told me that he carefullly cheked the supercharger unit to make sure it was not having a problem or making noise. Shoudlnt they have seen this?

I mean i wrote that it sounded like a pulley sqeak and they said nope its all good. I just opened my hood and looke out of curiousity. Thank god i did, cuz thats all i would have needed was to break down.

How can I be assured they do the right repair and none of the components were damaged?
Old 02-02-2003, 12:21 AM

C- 230 Kompressor,C2,C7,Black,JL sub,A/D/S/ amps,Alpine hu and changer
I would tell your service adviser how disappointed you are with there service, and will probably contact MBUSA, and you need the techs name so you can get all the info you give to MBUSA accurately, see what he say's, if he is sincere I might give him another chance, other wise I would make his life a living hell, and bring up all the other issues you have had with your car recently.Sometime it doesn't solve anything but man it feels good
Old 02-02-2003, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good thing you caught this before you put on an aftermarket pulley. And like other's said, don't drive with it that way, maybe even have MB Roadside Assistance pick it up.

If for grins you want to see if it's the tensioner. Get a 15mm deep socket and look for the pulley to the left of the crank pulley that has a funny star shaped reverse torx bolt head on it, snap off the plastic cover and use the 15mm to tighten it much as possible in case it's lose, then turn it like you are losing it and it should be real hard to do unless you have a long handle on your wrench (or a pipe extension like I use) and it should release tension on the belt. If it's too easy then the it's bad.

My big question is where's the other half?
Old 02-02-2003, 04:53 PM

The other half is shredded all over tghe place.

I am goin to check it out now., its been lkke this for a while i think.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:07 PM

The pulleys or belt make a loud chatter when i first start the motor. Then it just has a little sqeuak at idle. Its goin in first thing in the morning, so ill let u know how they do

Now my question is, would an aftermarket pulley have made this problem worse? Im really not sure what is in failure here, and I do want to order an asp pulley soon. Just hoping this problem isnt going to reooccure and catch me off guard next time. It was by coincidence I found it in the first place/

the dealer specifically said to me "We checked the supercharger to maek sure it is functioning ok, I said to chek the pulleys because they seemed to sqeuak?

They obviosuly didnt liook at all
Old 02-02-2003, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Find out what's wrong first but when it's fixed watch it closely for at least a few weeks before attempting an aftermarket pulley. I put mine off because of some problems I was having with the check engine light going off.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:29 PM

I got the feeling the dealer doesnt even really look at the pullys and belts. If the engine works i doubt they even look....they prolly just check off the box on the to do list...

a lot of mechanics are cutting corners these days....
hope the rest of the belt isnt in any of the wrong places!

if you have a not so good relationship with the dealer and there is another one close by.. id raise UBER hell

~fk
Old 02-03-2003, 07:42 PM

UPDATE:

Today I brought it to globe motors in fairfiled. They ususally do great service, and they seemed to talk professional about this problem, who knows the outcome.

The head tech says he is probably going to replace the supercharger?? I dont see how that is part of the problem, also the tensioner and belt. So my car is there a while Oh well, they were very caring and I got a c230 loaner without an appointment.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If they replace the s/c then it will probably be there for a month from what I've heard. I hope you have a very nice loaner! Maybe the s/c froze up and that caused the belt to tear.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:40 PM

Well, The car drove perfectly to the dealer despite having a belt that was on the verge of snapping.

Im awaiting there call today I hope it isnt the supercharger. I got a c230 kompressor loaner with more options than my car even had, execpt no c7. Oh yeah im enjoying it