C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Comand MCS II issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sports Sedan with Comand MCS II
Comand MCS II issues

I have looked in the forums for this and have yet to find any information on this. I have the Comand MCS II installed in my 2006 W203 C230 SS and the GPS/NAV time is off by an hour. It has the DVD and CD slot behind the monitor that flips down. The Time key lights up when the ignition is in the "off" position, and when you press the button in order to set the time. It states in order to set the time you need to put the car in the "On" position. When you switch the ignition to the "On" position the Time button is no longer lit up. I can get into the engineering menu by using the Ok + 7 + Mute combination, but I see no way to adjust the time zone in either the GPS menu or the system menu. The instrument cluster heads up display does not show anything for the GPS. I would think that it would show the direction you are going, but I see nothing. Does the dealer need to hook it up to the Star Diagnostic to adjust any settings? The Comand MCS II is from a CLK and it was modified to fit the "C" class. It fits perfectly and everything works fine. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
i do know that the dealer needs to code for the gps so that it shows up in your instrument cluster. and their is info about that on here i just looked so search longer next time and in the old nav system their is a setting for time zone but i don't know on the new ones i found a post the actually has the same question. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-question.html good luck
Old 04-15-2009, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
Your time automatically sets using the GPS, you just have to set the time zone and the daylight savings time options. Both are set on the comand, not the cluster. Click the "serv" button on your comand, its in there.

There is no "time" button on the MCS II so I don't know where you're getting that from.

If all else fails, read the instruction manual for the MCS II.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
2005 w203 C230
What part number do you have that you installed into your w203?

I bought

A203 870 29 89

And plan on installing it soon.
Any info would be great!

Thanks,
Jake
Attached Thumbnails Comand MCS II issues-clark_a-203-870-29-89_email.jpg  
Old 04-16-2009, 07:11 PM

Well my part number is A1648703989 and like I said this NAV is from a "CLK" and not a "C". There is no SERV button, but a SYS button. Under the SYS button there is a Timeset button that is not lit up when the car is in the "ON" position. I have followed the instructions and have done so much research on this topic and have come up empty. That post does not help me as I have seen that post before, but I did not want to hijack his thread. I wish it was as easy as following an instruction manual for the NAV. I want the instrument cluster to work as well, but going to the stealership tomorrow to get it looked at. Any more information would help. Thanks.

Last edited by benzc230; 04-16-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:18 PM

BF JC230.......Where did you get your NAV at and if you do not mind what price did you pay? I might be swapping it out if this does not work. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
well i am sorry that no one could help you but you could post the question in the clk forums since it is a clk nav unit and they might be slightly different. you could also download a owners Manuel for a clk i have found many by doing a Google search. but since you are going to go to the dealer tomorrow they should be able to help you. good luck
Old 04-16-2009, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by samaritrey
well i am sorry that no one could help you but you could post the question in the clk forums since it is a clk nav unit and they might be slightly different. you could also download a owners Manuel for a clk i have found many by doing a Google search. but since you are going to go to the dealer tomorrow they should be able to help you. good luck
Thanks Samaritrey. But the CLK and C use the exact same GPS. The only difference is the way they mount. To be honest it looks great and no difference IMO can be found at all. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
W164 is an ML....That could be part of the problem...but I have no idea how it would even fit...

I picked up my COMAND for a few hundred bucks from a friend's dad...

Good luck,
Jake
Attached Thumbnails Comand MCS II issues-w164_ml_comand.jpg  
Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 PM

Well the saga has ended thanks to ACR2001 and me buying his Comand unit. BF_JC230 you are correct. The comand unit I had came from an ML and I found that out later from the guy I bought it from. The dealer was right on that the unit would not work at all. I ended up returning the unit from the guy I bought it from and getting a refund from him. He was a very nice guy and very nice to work with. The comand he sold me worked, but the time could not be set and the cluster will not show the direction. I would not recommend using it, but like I said the GPS part works. All I need to do now is go back to the stealership and have them code the cluster so I can see the directions displayed and to configure the MOST ring as well. Thanks all for your great advice and assistance.

Last edited by benzc230; 04-22-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by benzc230
Well the saga has ended thanks to ACR2001 and me buying his Comand unit. BF_JC230 you are correct. The comand unit I had came from an ML and I found that out later from the guy I bought it from. The dealer was right on that the unit would not work at all. I ended up returning the unit from the guy I bought it from and getting a refund from him. He was a very nice guy and very nice to work with. The comand he sold me worked, but the time could not be set and the cluster will not show the direction. I would not recommend using it, but like I said the GPS part works. All I need to do now is go back to the stealership and have them code the cluster so I can see the directions displayed and to configure the MOST ring as well. Thanks all for your great advice and assistance.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:36 PM

Update

I went to the Stealership today and they enabled the GPS(Comand) on the instrument cluster. Everything is working like a dream. I am finally done with the comand. Cheers!!!!

P.S. Thanks ACR2001!!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
No problem! Glad to help.

Just to sum this thread up since it is such a mess:

The guy who started this thread had installed a NEWER COMAND MCSII in his car. The newer units (manufactured in 2007 and newer?) have updated software; some changes were made. The time is now set in a different way (and actually shows up on the COMAND when you are on the nav screen). You also get an ETA now when in nav. When one of these newer COMAND units is installed in a W203 the new "Timeset" button (in the SYS menu) is greyed out. I believe this happens when the gauge cluster is not coded for COMAND - the unit recognizes this and locks out the time menu. I'm hopefully going to get mine coded soon (if I ever find someone with a SDS computer), so I will find out. The photos below illustrate some of the differences on the newer COMAND units (mine happens to be from an 08 G class, but really all the MCS II units are 99% identical to each other other than different size plastic trim for different models.) MP3 capability exists on the newer units as most of you know. You also get a reverse camera input with the newer ML / GL / G units.

First photo shows where I mounted the rear view camera (Kenwood CCD-2000). My location is blurred to protect the innocent .
Theres nothing wrong with my screen, my camera is just crap.
Attached Thumbnails Comand MCS II issues-pict2784.jpg   Comand MCS II issues-pict2791.jpg   Comand MCS II issues-pict2792.jpg   Comand MCS II issues-pict2794.jpg   Comand MCS II issues-pict2795.jpg  

Comand MCS II issues-pict2796.jpg  

Last edited by acr2001; 04-24-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 w203 C230
BENZC230 what MSCII part number did you buy from ACR2001?
or
ACR2001 what MSCII part number did you sell BENZC230?

How long (time) does it take to swap out the head units...???

Back up camera is nice!
Jake
Old 04-25-2009, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Swapping them out probably takes about 40 minutes the first time you do it if you're going really slow.

Part number here: https://mbworld.org/forums/mobile-el...mand-unit.html
Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
so to sum up...you got your comand from a GL...installed it and it fits and works perfectly as plug and play (just have to get cluster coded to recognize it so time function will work in comand unit)...other than the time on the coman unit everything is perfect? i meant the time does show up on the cluster right? so not really a big deal in the end...?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by maverik259
so to sum up...you got your comand from a GL...installed it and it fits and works perfectly as plug and play (just have to get cluster coded to recognize it so time function will work in comand unit)...other than the time on the coman unit everything is perfect? i meant the time does show up on the cluster right? so not really a big deal in the end...?
NOT FROM A GL!! The unit I used was from a 2008 G-Class (W463)! There is a big difference! The GL unit will not physically fit. Yes everything works completely perfectly, time is off until I get it coded, gauge cluster still of course shows the proper time. One other thing to keep in mind - if you do not install a reverse camera you will get a blank screen when you are in reverse (because it switches to the video feed regardless of whether or not anything is connected to it).

Last edited by acr2001; 04-27-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 PM

To sum this whole post up. I bought a NAV unit from a guy on Ebay and was told it was for a C-Class. I installed it in my car which took me an hour and I discovered that I could not set the time zone on the unit so I then called the guy about the unit and I found out from him that it was modified to fit a C-Class and was from a GL-Class. He cut the units bracket so it would fit in a C-Class or CLK Class. I was told by him it would work. The NAV part of the Comand worked fine, but the cluster did not work to show the direction. So I then went to the Stealership and I had them code the cluster and to fix the timeset issue. They hooked the car up to the Star Diagnostic system and it did not give them the option to enable the cluster and to adjust anything with the timeset button. The only thing they were able to do was turn off the backup camera feature on the unit so when I put the car in reverse the picture would not go black and they messed with it for about three hours and could not get anywhere with it. The NAV unit did fit in the C-Class with the modification, but did not look do good. So I was pretty unahppy with it. So I called the guy I bought it from and got a refund on the NAV unit I purchased from him and do not get me wrong he was a nice guy and very nice to work with. I then set out to buy an actual NAV that works with the C-Class and that is when I saw the post from acr2001 that he had a C-Class NAV unit for sale and I bought it from him. I got the unit in the mail and I then installed it in 20 minutes and the time and everything worked on it with no issues at all. I could set the time zone and everything was working great. I then went back to the Stealership and they got the cluster coded so the directions would show up and they were given the option with this unit. The moral of this story is that the GL-Class Nav and G-Class NAV will work, but the time zone will not be able to be set and it will not work with the cluster from my experience. If you have any questions please post!!! I hope this helps!!!

Last edited by benzc230; 04-27-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
sweet sounds good!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
Originally Posted by acr2001
No problem! Glad to help.

Just to sum this thread up since it is such a mess:

The guy who started this thread had installed a NEWER COMAND MCSII in his car. The newer units (manufactured in 2007 and newer?) have updated software; some changes were made. The time is now set in a different way (and actually shows up on the COMAND when you are on the nav screen). You also get an ETA now when in nav. When one of these newer COMAND units is installed in a W203 the new "Timeset" button (in the SYS menu) is greyed out. I believe this happens when the gauge cluster is not coded for COMAND - the unit recognizes this and locks out the time menu. I'm hopefully going to get mine coded soon (if I ever find someone with a SDS computer), so I will find out. The photos below illustrate some of the differences on the newer COMAND units (mine happens to be from an 08 G class, but really all the MCS II units are 99% identical to each other other than different size plastic trim for different models.) MP3 capability exists on the newer units as most of you know. You also get a reverse camera input with the newer ML / GL / G units.

First photo shows where I mounted the rear view camera (Kenwood CCD-2000). My location is blurred to protect the innocent .
Theres nothing wrong with my screen, my camera is just crap.
Hi, I stumbled upon this thread whilst trying to sort issues with my COmand retrofit in a 2005 CLK. I had this misfortune of buying a Comand from a LATE 2007 CLK which has the "SYS" button instead of "SERV". Even after I have coded dashboard to "COMAND=Present" I am still unable to set time or timezone. Same exact issue you have described, "TImeset" is lit up while ignition off, if you push it it says you must turn on ignition but greys out when you do. I do see an option to disconnect the Comand time from the dashboard time, but that was how it was before...2 different times appearing.

Oddly, I am unable to get to engineering menu on my Comand via the "OK", "7" and "Mute" trick that other MCSII have reported working. My theory is that the late 2007 "SYS" versions have a new, unknown code to get there.

I know that dashboard recoding "took" since I now see directions in center gauge and have lost ability to choose "set date and time" from IC. I realize that this is a 5 year old thread but it appears that you uncovered useful info that nobody else figured out until now.

In short, retrofitting Comand has a break in compatibility. The quick way to tell is whether the unit says "SYS or "SERV" on the button. Not sure what happens if Post 2007 car gets a "SERV" unit. I will soon have a "SYS" unit for sale in LA area for anyone with a W209 2008 or 2009 looking to upgrade.. I can even do the SDS coding for dashboard.

If anyone else has useful info, please chime in. If this incompatibility had been more widely known, I never would have bought the Comand I got.
Old 04-20-2019, 03:24 PM

2007 W203 C230
Help

Originally Posted by benzc230
I have looked in the forums for this and have yet to find any information on this. I have the Comand MCS II installed in my 2006 W203 C230 SS and the GPS/NAV time is off by an hour. It has the DVD and CD slot behind the monitor that flips down. The Time key lights up when the ignition is in the "off" position, and when you press the button in order to set the time. It states in order to set the time you need to put the car in the "On" position. When you switch the ignition to the "On" position the Time button is no longer lit up. I can get into the engineering menu by using the Ok + 7 + Mute combination, but I see no way to adjust the time zone in either the GPS menu or the system menu. The instrument cluster heads up display does not show anything for the GPS. I would think that it would show the direction you are going, but I see nothing. Does the dealer need to hook it up to the Star Diagnostic to adjust any settings? The Comand MCS II is from a CLK and it was modified to fit the "C" class. It fits perfectly and everything works fine. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have a 2007 w203 C230 and have installed (had regular radio that looked falling apart) a navigation command unit. It has the 'SERV' button. A map update disc update made a clock appear. The clock will not go away.

That's fine, but it annoys me because my command time is one (1) hour off from my dash.

Command time set soft button is grayed out and I can't set the time.

Went to two mercedes dealerships and they say since it isn't original equipment they can't fix it.

What do I do?

Last edited by csmith4105; 04-20-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Add word.