C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

FRONT PLATE removal / mounting brackets / kits / bumper hole fixes THREAD

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have the front plate up because I am going to go to court and just say I am guility. In CA, instead of $100, you only need to pay $10-15 if you go and do that.

That's what I will do.
Old 04-11-2002, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about miniature red, blue and green lasers hidden behind the grille which project a hologram of the plate in front of the bumper?
Old 04-12-2002, 01:12 AM
Almost a Member!

[b]
Originally posted by Lynn
How about miniature red, blue and green lasers hidden behind the grille which project a hologram of the plate in front of the bumper?

Lynn
...truly an advanced proposal. Only a Geodesist could come up with such an elegant plan!
Old 04-12-2002, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Re: C230K "Flip-up" front license plate holder

Originally posted by Donn
The Benz looks soooo good without a front plate. Unfortunately, in California, you get a "fix it" ticket and a $100 fine if you don't have a front plate. Other states have the same stupid law....
Yeah, I live in California too. It bits. I really have no interest in getting a "fix-it" ticket. I put the environmental plates on my car(the whale tail) and they look so got than those dull CA standard plates.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:21 AM

2002 C230 Kompressor coupe, white
Already invented

i've seen the retractable front license plate thingies, i just cant remember where, when i first got my car i was looking for aftermarket parts and came upon something like that, it wasnt made for the c coupe but i think it was universal, now if only i can remember where i saw that...For right now, i keep the plate in the glove compartment, so if i get pulled over, i'll say "I'm waiting for my dealer to get the brackets in so i can bring the car in to get them" it probably wont work, they'll prolly make me bring the car in to show them when i get it, (lol they'll be waiting a while cuz i'm not planning to get it). i asked a police officer about the front plate/logo plates, and he told me that "it depends on your status" (<-- his exact words) saying that they dont usually target nicer cars unless that person did a bigger violation, he said most officers wont pull you over just for the plate, unless they are new officers or just *****s (i cant believe he said that)

i dont think the plain plates are dull, i'm having one personalized with my name, i'll post pictures when i get it, (if anybody cares)
Old 04-12-2002, 04:01 AM

here's what your looking for

http://www.hotrodproducts.com/retract-a-plate.htm
Old 04-12-2002, 07:24 AM

C230K Manny, Albaster White/Oyster Leather/C1/C5/C7/CD
I think I saw one in one of the bond movies....
Old 04-12-2002, 07:48 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by NANA
I think I saw one in one of the bond movies....
There it was! I thought I've seen it somewhere before
Old 04-12-2002, 08:24 AM

2002 C230K
Yea, NJ has that law too. I didn't know they could legislate making your car look worse!
Old 05-29-2002, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 mercedes clk coupe
Cool mirror plates

i was on e bay and this what i saw

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eb...993268&r=0&t=0

c class owner check it out and bid if u like it

i think it looks cheezy
Old 05-29-2002, 03:14 PM

1994 Chevrolet Lumina
They will give your car an extinguishing look. How cool would that be?
Old 10-14-2002, 08:46 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
question about front bumper license plate and necessity...

Okay so I've only had my c230k for 2+ weeks and still have dealer plate in back so no need for front (I'm in Houston, TX). The front look so nice I really dont want to put any license plate on (my dealer called last week and said the plates are ready but I'm going to leave dealer plate on till end of month when expire).

ANYHOW, big question is (and i'm pretty sure of the answer) do I have to have a front license plate? Is some cars exempt from it? Like the new C5 corvettes.........i've seen plenty w/o front license plate (i dont think there's even room/place).
Old 10-14-2002, 08:55 PM

2001 C240 6spd
I think it depends on the state you live in - when I lived in CA and IL - both required front plates, but I never put the front plate on. Just seemed it did not look good with it on. I always kept the front plate in the car and was ready to tell the officer that the front bracket was on order. I think it is only a fix-it ticket anyways. But the police usually do not stop you just because you do not have a front plate. Usually they will ticket you in conjunction with another violation. I would check into your states laws regarding this. AZ does not require a front plate.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:36 PM

M
I live in IL and the front plate is required. Most cops don't care, but I have heard a story about a guy that was forced to put his on, on the spot. However it was a "Village" cop on an ego trip it sounds like. So beware! :-D
Old 10-15-2002, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Who else know the situation better than me.........

I GOT 2 FIX-IT TICKET IN 1 MONTH FOR NOT DISPLAYING MY LICENCE PLATE!!

In fact, 1 cop even made a U-Turn to come after me!
Old 10-15-2002, 12:17 AM

s it illegal if i dont put my fron license plate in front?

i live in the sf bay area, california?

i thought its ok to leave the front plate???
Old 10-15-2002, 06:16 AM

My c240 didn't come with front license plate so I thought I don't need to put it on! But guess what, I got a ticket last week for not having front license plate (I parked at LA airport). Is it possible for me to make a appeal?

By the way I live in sourthern California
Old 10-15-2002, 06:21 AM

2002 Paprika C230K/C7/C4/C2/6spd/Chip(?)
How about this: did you get two plates when you registered the car? Yes? What do you think the other one is for, a spare in case you lose the first one? Instead of asking, just put it on and spare yourself the hassle of being stopped for not having one. And because a car does not have a spot on the bumper designed for a plate is no excuse for not having one if it's required by law.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:09 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Texas is one of those states that recently (Sept. 1995) went to a two-plate system, per Chapter...

§ 502.404. Operation of Vehicle Without License Plate or Registration Insignia

(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:

(1) assigned by the department for the period; or

(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

...(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

Those with cars purchased and registered prior to Sept, 1995 are entitled to display only a rear plate, because the dept assigned only one plate (item 1). Those registered after "require" the front plate, if you are assigned two.

However, there is a huge compliance issue in Texas, I assume due to the recent nature of the change (people don't always accept a change in habit overnight). I've never seen a TX Corvette with a front plate, and I venture that about 10%-15% of all vehicles in TX avoid putting on the front plate.

I do not have a plate on the front of my C320 (purchased out of state and asked that the plate holder be thrown in the trunk rather than mounted to bumper). I DO keep the plate in the trunk to prove that I have it with the vehicle.

I got pulled over for another matter yesterday, and did not get cited for it (I'm not sure he noticed), although I see on the ticket's list of fines that my municipality charges $107+CC for "no plates." not a simple "$10 fix-it" ticket...

I'm sure if you're not courteous when pulled over, they could "pile-on" the plate offense, but I'm not sure that there is a concerted effort to force compliance at this time. Of course, that doesn't mean you're not supposed to display two plates, which is the only safe course of action.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 10-15-2002 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:56 AM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Texas is one of those states that recently went to a two-plate system. Those with cars registered prior are entitled to display only a rear plate. Those registered after "require" the front plate. However, there is a huge compliance issue in Texas, I assume because of the recent nature of the change (people don't always accept a change in habit overnight). I've never seen a TX Corvette with a front plate, and I venture that about 10%-15% of all vehicles in TX avoid putting on the front plate.

I am also curious as to the actual wording of the law, so I need to look it up and will post it here if I find the answer.
thanks for info mb-bob. yeah i wonder how the Vettes get away with not having front plate
Old 10-15-2002, 11:07 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
tberry, I'm sure you'll see that I edited my previous, with the actual quotes from TX code... As mentioned, I don't display my front plate, and you can choose to do so as well, as long as you accept the risk, because there are no exceptions, not even for Corvettes...
Old 10-15-2002, 11:15 AM

2002 c230k
All cars in California must have a front plate, period. There should have been a mounting bracket in the trunk when you picked up the car. If not, go to the dealer and get one for free. A cop will pull you over for not having one and is more likely to pull you over for barely speeding etc if he wants to. It messes up the look of the car but it is the law.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by NJPaprika230
How about this: did you get two plates when you registered the car? Yes? What do you think the other one is for, a spare in case you lose the first one ? Instead of asking, just put it on and spare yourself the hassle of being stopped for not having one. And because a car does not have a spot on the bumper designed for a plate is no excuse for not having one if it's required by law.
That's what I thought..

man, how about put license plate on upper right dash board? does that work?
Old 10-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by tberry
I wonder how the Vettes get away with not having front plate

They don't. In the front of a Corvette, the plastic filler plate that says Corvette pops off and there is a license plate mounting bracket under it.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:06 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C240/2000 ML320
In CA it used to be a fix-it ticket, but now it is a fine. They want the plate up front so the red light cameras can take your photo.

I believe that placing the plate on the dash is not acceptable, as the code states "the front of the car"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: FRONT PLATE removal / mounting brackets / kits / bumper hole fixes THREAD