C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

FRONT PLATE removal / mounting brackets / kits / bumper hole fixes THREAD

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-15-2002, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so anyone know what I should do with the ticket? The police didn't write the amount of the fine nor any instructions...
Old 10-15-2002, 08:42 PM
Almost a Member!

C240
You just have to put the plate on, give the ticket to a policeman and ask him to sign in the back. Then you send it to trafic court (along with $10, in my case)
Old 10-15-2002, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's California Code;

5200. When two license plates are issued by the department for a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear. When one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof.

Doesn't sound like they specify where exactly this front plate has to be, the rest of the code says you can't mount it more than 60" high. Is there a spot on the front of the car where it would be less annoying than the middle of the bumper? Don't want to block any airflow over the radiator/intercooler/air intake. How about underneath the car? It has to be visible but doesn't really state what angle it should be visible at.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:19 PM
jlm

The other reason that the front plate is required in many states is that it is a marvelously reflective surface. That comes in very handy when using LIDAR (laser speed detection). I have been driving my beater in OR for eight years without a ticket (they probably pitty me, or doubt the car is capable of excess speed) but I do know of others who have been fined (it's not a fix-it ticket in OR, about $150) for no front plate.

I wasn't going to install the front plate on my coupe (didn't want the look, or the holes in the bumper) but when I took delivery of the car the plate holder was already installed. I'll probably put the plate on, but cover it with a laser attenuating cover (also illegal in most states). I don't run lights, but have been known to have a bit of a heavy foot.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C240/2000 ML320
Here is the rest of the Calif. code stating plate location:

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the
vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from
swinging and shall be mounted in a position to be clearly visible,
and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible.
The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground, except as follows:
(a) The rear license plate on a tow truck may be mounted on the
left-hand side of the mast assembly at the rear of the cab of the
vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the
ground.
(b) The rear license plate on a tank vehicle hauling hazardous
waste, as defined in Section 25117 of the Health and Safety Code, or asphalt material may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
(c) The rear license plate on a truck tractor may be mounted at
the rear of the cab of the vehicle, not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
(d) The rear license plate of a vehicle designed by the
manufacturer for the collection and transportation of garbage,
rubbish, or refuse and which is used regularly for the collection and transportation of that material by any person or governmental entity employed to collect, transport, and dispose of garbage, rubbish, or refuse may be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 90 inches from the ground.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:21 AM

Think of how much money and resources we could save in North America if we simply said ONE plate is all you need.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Why all the fuss? If it's legally required to have one, put it on. If you don't put it on, pay the damn ticket when you get it like a man. It's not that complicated.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:27 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by viper
Think of how much money and resources we could save in North America if we simply said ONE plate is all you need.
IMO, the size and shape of the plates we use in the US compromises the aerodynamic efficiencies of the car. I think there is more to be gained economically (due to energy conservation) by eliminating the front plate. If car designers didn't have to worry about leaving room for the plate bracket, they would be even more forward thinking with design, which could also improve the fuel efficiency of all cars over time.

In the meantime, I agree with tommy. Leave the plate off if you want, but don't whine if you get caught.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
Wow, a misdemeanor in TX even.

I keep mine on just for the simple case of probable cause.

One less excuse to be pulled over.

Plus I have nice thin chrome frames with no insignia and chrome covered screw caps that match my cars badges.
Old 10-27-2002, 09:34 PM

2003 C320
I have been driving in Chicagoland for the last 5 years never bothered with the front license plate. I was "reminded" once but was not ticketed ( front plate on order excuse). Anyway, I recently got into a minor bumper clash (less than 5 mph) and I would have avoided the minor scratches if I got the license plate on ! Serves me right for breaking the law
Old 10-27-2002, 11:24 PM

My friend's car came without a front license plate oddly (or the mount) so he never put it on. He never got any problems with it, until a day he got into an accident; the officer commented on it, but didn't give him a ticket for it. In fact, I've seen this really beat up 80s Accord that's still got the flip lights driving around a few times without ANY plates. But I have a few friends with those ricey looking cars with bodykits and stuff and they always get hassled for no plate. So what I'm trying to say is, if your car is ordinary looking, and you dont' drive like a maniac, you probably won't get any tickets for it.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
Front Plate

For Pete's sake, put it on if it's required!

If you can't stomach it on the bumper, put it on the front of the hood above the grille Only 4 holes in the metal, no problem. Or use duct tape if you don't want to drill. I did it once to a Renault 12 rally car I had (with sheet metal screws).

Seriously, I agree with MB Bob about how un-aerodynamic our North American plates are. The solutions:
1) Move to Nunavut or the Northwest Territories. Their polar bear design, besides being the coolest of the North American plates, have a lower frontal surface area. This is moot though, as the NWT and Nunavut only require a rear plate I saw a new Designo purple S-Class this summer in Banff (Alberta) with NWT plate.
2) Scrap our stupid colonial "Ford Model T" plate format and move to an EU type of plate. The other advantage of this is there's more room for alphanumeric characters on a longer plate. NA plates with 7 characters are usually very difficult to read.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:21 AM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
I was going to but when I went to dealer sat. to pick them up my sales guy said the first thing "are you going to put the front plate on? I've only had once customer in 9 yrs. who got a ticket for it. Just to let you know...."
Its seems that he was encouraging me not to put it on! I was surprised by that. Well I decided to just pick them up and my temp plate run out at the end of month. I'll decide then to put it on or not.
Old 10-28-2002, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by 1stmerc
I have been driving in Chicagoland for the last 5 years never bothered with the front license plate. I was "reminded" once but was not ticketed ( front plate on order excuse). Anyway, I recently got into a minor bumper clash (less than 5 mph) and I would have avoided the minor scratches if I got the license plate on ! Serves me right for breaking the law
That's a good point. We have a really tight parking situation as a result of fitting 2 cars in a 1 car garage. The only way the cars will fit is if the front plate of the first car is against the garage wall (there's a cardboard/foam cushion). It's nice having the plate take the abuse rather than the naked bumper.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
in ca a front plate is manditory. i have many friends who dont put them on. i do agree w/ the previous statement that if your car draws attention or you drive like a maniac then you are more likely to get a ticket than others. i have a front plate on my car now and will have the front plate put on my car when it arrives. thats just me though.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally posted by rskinner
I believe that placing the plate on the dash is not acceptable, as the code states "the front of the car"
Anyone know if this is true? I've seen a few people put theirs on the dash too.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:21 AM

2002 c230k
Originally posted by oggle
Anyone know if this is true? I've seen a few people put theirs on the dash too.
It won't fly in California. You are not allowed to cover the plate with anything and the windshield glass counts as something.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 S63 Cabriolet Black With Porcelain 2019 Range Rover Velar Special Edition
front plates

you will never see one on mine and i have never been stoped for that...........
Old 01-18-2003, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
But I'm in California. Would be ok for me if it's just a fix-it ticket though.

Guys, so what is the penalty exactly if you're in california? A huge fine or a fix-it ticket that requires you to add it without exceptions? I've read different responses here so far.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:51 PM

2002 c230k
It used to be a fix-it ticket but thanks to the front cameras at intersections with phototickets it is now a fine. Big Brother is watching!
Old 01-18-2003, 04:17 PM
CRB

Originally posted by mdp c230k
It used to be a fix-it ticket but thanks to the front cameras at intersections with phototickets it is now a fine. Big Brother is watching!
And I wish that more of those SOB red light runners would get tickets. RED means STOP, people.

Cars DO look better without license plates BFD. Cars driving on public roads should be identifiable from both ends and front and rear plates permit this.

So, all you scofflaws get those plates out and stick them on.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by BrabusPower
My c240 didn't come with front license plate so I thought I don't need to put it on! But guess what, I got a ticket last week for not having front license plate (I parked at LA airport). Is it possible for me to make a appeal?

By the way I live in sourthern California
No appeal it is required by law.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:23 PM

2004 SLK Special Edition
I removed my front license plate and the plate holder about a month ago, and it looks as though Mercedes just screws the license plate holder directly into the bumper. It was frustrating because I took it off to make the from look less cluttered and then there were 2 screw holes in my bumber. It looked crappy so I just put it right back on. I assuming all other 203 Models are the same.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:26 PM

2002 C240
Originally posted by Xeon
Who else know the situation better than me.........

I GOT 2 FIX-IT TICKET IN 1 MONTH FOR NOT DISPLAYING MY LICENCE PLATE!!

In fact, 1 cop even made a U-Turn to come after me!
oh man, you are really unlucky..
Old 01-19-2003, 03:34 PM

2002 C240
Originally posted by oggle
But I'm in California. Would be ok for me if it's just a fix-it ticket though.

Guys, so what is the penalty exactly if you're in california? A huge fine or a fix-it ticket that requires you to add it without exceptions? I've read different responses here so far.

I got the ticket when I parked. 2 weeks later I received a $25 bill for the fine. The ticket didn't ask me to put the plate on and have a police officer inspect it. So I just send the check.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: FRONT PLATE removal / mounting brackets / kits / bumper hole fixes THREAD