C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

FRONT PLATE removal / mounting brackets / kits / bumper hole fixes THREAD

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-26-2003, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4matic
The dealer should know by now that some people don't like to have the front bracket on. Surely, they've gone through this before. They are stupid for doing that.

I also wouldn't want to have the holes refilled, even if they did it for free. The easiest way is to demand that they swap bumpers with another silver C sport, and then they can have their advertising on someone else's car. It should be relatively easy for them to do this. And if they don't, assure them it will be reflected in the survey that you will receive.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
I didn't get a choice. Was told they now did it in port. I think the plates look like a pimple on the front of a beautiful face. Of course popping the pimple and removing the bracket leaves scars.

If you can get anyone from MBUSA to commit to doing something, I'd really like to fedex my bumper to them collect so I can get another one!!

P

P.S. Almost makes me want to get into a front end collision - almost.
Old 05-26-2003, 01:37 PM

00' ML 55 AMG; 08' Jeep Wrangler Unlimted (4 Door)
Mine came without the front plate installed. When the salesman was going over the car with me, he opened the trunk and showed me the front plate bracket He said "In case You move to a state that Requires it." Which I was glad they did not drill it and install.

That sucks they put that bracket on your car, especially if it was to put their plate on the front.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
all the cars in my family don't have front plate other than the minivan. The Jag XJ-12 was a showroom car when my dad bought it, the car's door was always locked unless someone interested of buying, and they never put on the front plate. mom's ML430 had front plate frame, but we took it off. what was left is two little holes that's not that easy to see. My bro's 528i had the front license plate, but took it off when he replace the headlight and front bumper to the newer look. Me and my sis's C32 and CLK320 never had the front plate when we got the car. We told the sales not to put them on. oh yeah, my beater Beetle 1.8T doesn't have front plate either. We never had any problem with all the cars other than that one time with the ML at LAX. Some cop gave us a $25 ticket for not having it on (the car was parked in the parking garage btw)
Old 05-26-2003, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by CarlssonPower
It depends on the dealer..

Mine came without the front license plate. The dealer just left the kit in the trunk so I can decide if I want to put it on or not. Even though the state law in California states front lincense is required but I've never got pulled over for that. And I've seen so many cars on street without front license plate.
Same thing with mine, front plate kit was sitting in the trunk... and still is.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:28 PM

my car was delivered without the front plate installed, but dealer
had me signed a paper saying they have informed me that
front plate is required in CA.

I installed the front plate and avoided "obvious" damage to
the front bumper by fastening the plate bracket (bottom) to
the under side of the bumper. You will need 2 tiny angle bracket
for reinforcement.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
In LA county, if you were to get a ticket for not having a front license plate, can you just pay a fine and get away with it or do you have to really fix it?
Old 05-26-2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by oggle
In LA county, if you were to get a ticket for not having a front license plate, can you just pay a fine and get away with it or do you have to really fix it?
I think you can just pay a fine which is like $85... or you can just use double sided tape to attach your plate to get the fix it ticket signed off and then take it off again. That's what I did the last time I got one, they didn't even bother to check if the plate was secure.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:00 PM

2002 C230 Kompressor
???

Why would you even take delivery on a car that didn't meet your expectations? To have them "fix" the bumper at this point will only further decrease the value of the car. Is the bracket not drilled into only the bumper? They should replace the bumper. No questions asked. And if you talk to enough people they will. The reason for putting the front bracket on the car (in states that do not require a front license plate) is solely for advertisements. I have a REALLY hard time believing that it is a requirement made by MBUSA and there is no way these are put on at the port. My entire family drives Mercedes' and none of our cars have the front brackets. Nor do any of them have the dealers logo on the back. Nor have any of the "Dealer Prep" charges ever been paid. At this point all you can do is climb the ladder of supervisors until someone replaces your bumper, but in future tell them there's no deal. These cars aren't rare, Mercedes will build more!

I'm sorry that you're stuck now with a car you are not pleased with. I hope your dealer is smart enough to make the swap before losing you as a customer!
Old 05-26-2003, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
They are absolutely, positively NOT put on at the port!
Old 05-26-2003, 09:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
They are not put on in port. None of our benzo's in all our familes have had front plates unless put on afterwards. That's around 30 ish cars all over texas.
Old 05-26-2003, 10:20 PM
Banned

C240 02
I agree that you should not have to pay for the removal of the plat. But I need to address acouple of issues. First as someone stated, why even accept the car. You should have rejected the car, and had them order one as you had wanted. Remember you are the CUSTOMER. Second you stated if you had complained it would affect the sales person. Thats a joke and total BS. Im actualy shocked that BS would come from a Benz dealership. My guess is that manger you talked to must have sold used cars before he came to Benz. Third, if it affected the sales person or not remeber as a customer you come FIRST everyone else comes in second. Someone needs to draw the line some where other wise they will keep pulling the same stunts. But i can gaurantee u its all BS nothing would have happend to the salesperson. Its the oldest trick in the car business. Put the customer with guilt that the poor salesman will be affected. What a freaken joke. Now last issue. I really believe that the drilled plate did not take place at the dealer. All the cars in Florida come without a licence plate in the front. I know because I live here. Your car was probably located from another state and shipped to Florida. Good luck to you
Old 05-26-2003, 11:20 PM

2002 C240
Originally posted by FrankW
We never had any problem with all the cars other than that one time with the ML at LAX. Some cop gave us a $25 ticket for not having it on (the car was parked in the parking garage btw)
That's exactly what happened to me! I had never got pull over for not having front license plate but I did get a ticket when parking at LAX.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:22 PM

2002 C240
Originally posted by oggle
They just sent me a bill for $25. The ticket didn't ask me to fix it so I just mail the check.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
My Dealer asked if I wanted it, I told him 'NO'. We require them here, but I field the questions and the fines before I put that ugly plate on the front of my car. What a stupid law that is...so the meter maid doesn't have to walk around to the back of your car to give you a ticket!!!

Since they didn't ask you, I'd DEMAND to have it removed, and the holes filled and painted FREE OF CHARGE, or you'll not be buying another MB from them...right?
Old 05-27-2003, 03:47 AM

05 E500
Responses from post originator

Responding to 'BenzC240' in particular, and all others is general:

Firstly, my humble thanks to all of the helpful contributors to this thread. It is surely well-appreciated indeed.

Now, let me address a few issues.

I took delivery of the car (as opposed to refusing it) for several reasons. The car was a special order from Stuttgart that had been two months in the delivery process. When it arrived, I had the dealership perform several additional options to the vehicle. At this point, I felt I had good rapport with the salesman and his superiors. Even at this stage, I have no reason to anticipate any real feud. (Of course, I’ll know this for sure later this Tuesday morning.) With such a long process of regular communication with these personnel, I felt that I would have no real problem with resolving any unlikely issues that might arrive along the way.

After I saw the front plate and I was curious as to why this was attached to the car, I was assured that this could be taken care of. I did not understand just exactly what “taken care of” truly meant. Perhaps the salesman glossed this over until the pertinent paperwork was complete. Later, I went back to the issue. Only then was I told that the removal would require bodywork which would require my funds to complete. This was not mentioned until after I pushed the issue, after the bill of sale surveys were completed. (More on this later.) What I thought they were doing was trying to suck up some otherwise meaningless body shop revenue for a rather trivial matter resulting from some harmless screws or magnet scratches or something (as others have shown were used in their applications.)

I had no idea, however, that when they said bodywork to repair the marks, they really meant it! Did they ever. The screw holes were excessive and a tad shocking to even look at. (I mean they are gaping holes!) But I did not see these holes until after I went outside one day and removed the plate out of curiosity. Yes, I should have removed the plate right at the dealership, but I thought it was a minor issue that I could address myself, instead of being lured in for further dealer expenses. Little did I realize that the dealership had made sure that they were going to get more out of me; one way or another. Either through forced advertising, or by use of my $150 dollars to repair the wound!

They used the car for display until we actually took delivery (only a day and a half as I returned home from business) and having known about my car clubs and other automotive contacts, I’m sure they felt motivated to get some extended advertisement plugs with the car. So, they made a rather significant, drilled installment of their dealer plate to our car as a result.

Now, back to the survey report matter. You see, the salesman, despite us not having picked up the car quite yet, reported the car as sold and sent the message to corporate well ahead of time. This way, the car and the customer survey from MBUSA would arrive at about the same time. In fact, we had the customer survey in-hand at the date-of-delivery. In this manner, the dealership can overwhelm the customer with the “Mercedes-Benz buying experience” and gain positive marks on the survey while one is still in the spell. I have heard of this trend (at least in my area) beginning to take steam.

At this point, we consulted with the salesmen (and his superiors) about some misgivings we had here and there. We were positively told that “any negative remark would greatly affect the status of the salesperson and their standing with the particular dealership as well.” We were asked to “allow the dealership to address any concerns themselves as opposed to making any reflection on the survey of any outstanding issues we might have had, as a courtesy to them.” (This is when I should have had them remove the plate to inspect the damage, but again I thought they were exaggerating the needed bodywork.)

Furthermore, we were told that we “could always address whatever we had on our minds at a later time, without affecting the status of the salesmen (and the orientation/delivery coaches, etc.) to any damaging degree.” (I’ll be taking them up on this!)

Of course, indeed I agree with some of you that as I am the customer, what I say should prevail. Believe it or not, I am a very direct and often quite pointed as a businessman who knows the rules. In this case, however, I allowed some oversights and sympathies to cloud my otherwise sound judgment. It won’t happen again, I can assure you. I will take the issue all the way to corporate if and when I have to, including and not limited to legal actions.

But there is another slight matter here as well. The dealership was also aware of a recent issue we had with corporate too. I think they may have even tried to take advantage of this. In short recap of the corporate matter, when my dealership was courting the new W203 C230 Sport Sedan to me (which was already on their showroom floors and was listed on various websites around the country), the incompetent customer service reps at MBUSA were telling me repeatedly (9 people in all) that "no such car existed and there is no plans for anything like this anytime soon."

In truth, these people were simply looking on their own website (as anyone could do off the street) and reading what they saw to me, instead of referring to their internal databases. The website did not mention the car, so they simply concluded I was misinformed and/or being scammed by the dealer. It was preposterous and inexcusable! They did not use their insider or specific information consistent with their headquarters; all they had was misinformation as a result of their laziness. The car made a very late debut on their site. This was well after it’s actual arrival. I had mine ordered and well on its way while they said it did not exist! (I had happened to call for further specific details.)

After I complained, the top managerial parties wanted me to conduct tests with them to learn just who was guilty of these terrible oversights, especially as they were telling me that the local dealership were “certainly trying to scam” me. So we did three-way calls to round them all up. That we did. Problem was, there was more guilty than not. The people at the top were forced to accept ultimate responsibility for allowing and harboring these people. The dealer, upon learning this, reacted quickly to offset our concerns and get us the car of our choice. And now, of course, my wife is driving this phantom car corporate claimed did not and would not ever exist. (I have the names, including managers, dates, etc. on record and can demonstrate this to all who would inquire.) The dealer might have felt that we would be reluctant to take matters to corporate again? They thought wrong, nonetheless. I would be only too happy to use my existing contacts there to push this current issue.

The combined factors all had a role. One thing is for certain. This car was not a dealer transfer. The salesman may have been somewhat exaggeratory, but if so, the ringleaders were his superiors. The whole process, from surveys, to comments about the pressure the salesman (etc.) would received for poor marks, to the forced plate and the $150 to remove it, were all perhaps tactics used time and time again. Either this, or we just got a little unlucky with this whole thing.

Yet, despite all this, I have no solid reason to perceive too much resistance to our demands. I just need to be sure what specific demand to make. Is replacing the entire bumper too much to ask for on this matter? Is this highly apart from the ordinary for something like this? Would settling for the repaired bodywork (on their tab, of course) be the only realistic response I could hope for from the dealership? I will try to get the bumper replaced. If this fails, I will go to corporate for their thoughts. If MBUSA is only willing to insure the bodywork is to be done (and not the replacement bumper), then I could take this to my counselors already on retainer to issue a letter of demand. However, if everyone thought that my demands were unreasonable from the onset, it would probably be more fair and equitable, and timely to just go the route of the bodywork.

It was important to me to know how common this was elsewhere. Additionally, I wanted to know whether the dealership had “property rights” on the car while it was in their possession, and the plate assembly would then be legally considered part of the car. After all, they can collect revenue for the plate removal this way, ordinarily.

All contributions have been helpful and again, everything is well-appreciated most indeed. I will report back with what answers I get from the dealership tomorrow, and if it will be necessary to take this to corporate. (Perhaps the top corporate managers who resolved the first issue will feel compelled to contribute to the good here.) I’ll keep you posted.

Thank you kindly.

Most genuinely,

Christopher
Old 05-27-2003, 11:30 AM
moomeh

Re: Opposition to dealer-installed front license plates

i would kick the crap out of a dealer for adding on the plate without asking. this is no different than a POS car banging into a benz.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:12 PM

my car has the same thing...i was and still am super pissed off about it and when I asked them to take it off and fix the holes, they said that they would not but that I could buy plugs for it. I said why should I have to pay like $90 for these stupid things to cover up something that never should have been there in the first place? Needless to say got nowhere with it and plate is still on the front...my car will never see that dealership again...not like they care anyway. That was just one of my many issues with them...NEVER GO TO KEENAN!!!
Old 05-27-2003, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
Hmm, my car didnt have any plates in the front when I bought it and Im in cali.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:05 PM
Banned

C240 02
damn Jones, seems like u have some major issues with these people. Trust me, i know how u feel. Imagine the dealership scratching your hood and having to repaint it. I had a field day with that one. Thats not to mention the 19 times i have had to go for service for buying a crapy new car. Belive me when I say this, keep your energy for other things which are to come. Not to scare u but these cars are not reliable and u will be needing some of that fighting power for the future. I went through it all and will be actualy dedicating a whole thread to all the issues I had with my car. But thats later to come. Keep an eye out for my thread. But my advise is you live and learn. At least in the future u will never be making some of these mistakes. Next time throw the damn car in their faces if its not what u want. My opnion is its there just keep it and either customize a plate to go in that spot of buy a really cool looking benz plate, whats done is done and u dont need people like that messing with your bumper and screwing things up. Try and get compinsated in other areas, be creative. Good luck and take care. Please let us know what happens with you
Old 05-27-2003, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
First off my family ran a body shop for almost 75 years. I have never seen a painted facia keep the paint on it after filling is used and it was re-painted. From the factory yes this will last for a really long time, but from a body shop it is very hard to paint a facia and make the paint stick to the filled in area and make it perfect and last for the life of the car. Will it fall off in a few years, no but it will by the time a 5 year loan is done on some vehicles. It is a hit and miss thing. Secondly, this body shop was a new car dealership as well. And survey's hurt more than the salesman. You will get many surveys and have many chances to get them back for there crap they try to pull. What you should do is demand a new front facia, especially if a plate is not required in your state. The port does not install the front plate, I bought a 2003 C230 K SC in Mid January and mine front plate frame is in the trunk still and I used to put them on when I worked for my father just before delivery. If the dealer does not want any bad surveys from you or bad letters to MBUSA from you I think they will do what you ask. Of course remember that even a new facia is not shipped painted so you will never really have a perfect factory front facia. But at least you will not have the fill in the facia that causes the paint to not stick so well.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by mctwin2kman
Of course remember that even a new facia is not shipped painted so you will never really have a perfect factory front facia. But at least you will not have the fill in the facia that causes the paint to not stick so well.
Yeah, that's why I still recommend having them switch bumpers with another car on the lot, if they have one. They should be happy to do this for you if it will end the situation.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:32 PM

05 E500
Matt230K:

"...recommend having them switch bumpers with another car on the lot, if they have one."

Yes. great idea. I'll try this once they retrun my call. And the returned call will either happen tomorrow or I'll be escalating this further.

Do you suppose, however, that they will regard this request as too demanding or even outlandish? Has anyone ever witnessed this or have any information about this ever being done?

Thanks again.

Christopher
Old 05-27-2003, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
It shouldn't be too difficult for them to switch the bumpers, so I don't think it is too demanding, and it's a simple fix.

Did you already turn in the survey since they got it to you so soon? I can't believe they report the car sold before you sign papers just so you can have the survey with you. And they can't report it too soon. It can't be done until the car is wholesaled to the dealer, which doesn't happen until they put it on a truck and ship it to the dealer. So it's only a couple of days sooner at most, plus however long it was at the dealer till you picked it up. Strange policy they have there.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 106 Posts
C230 Sport Coup + 2006 W164 ML350 + 99 Ford Escort (What the heck, it gets 38 mpg!)
Yeh, they got me too at Hoen in Carlsbad.
Used like wood screws so it's all chewed up, holes aren't that big, but the plastic is extruded since they didn't drill, just slapped some sheet metal or wood screws in.

I put touch up paint on it, but it keeps coming off.
A small irritation. Oh well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: FRONT PLATE removal / mounting brackets / kits / bumper hole fixes THREAD