C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

"Engine Oil Level - Visit Workshop!" -> Yes, I RTFM, and STFF, but I still have a ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Unhappy "Engine Oil Level - Visit Workshop!" -> Yes, I RTFM, and STFF, but I still have a ?

While leaving work today my car threw this dandy message out at me. Anyhow, I checked the manual and it is related to the computer not being able to properly check the oil level. No biggie I figure. When I check my malfunctions I see that it stores the message.

BUT, when I turned the ignition off, and then to position 2 again, the malfunction code was gone. It just disappeared. So I decided to turn the ignition off again then back into position 2. I did this five times. Of the 5, the message appeared 2 times. Both times the malfunction disappeared when switching the ignition off, then into pos 2 agian.

I read thru the arc's and I saw that some other members have had malfunction messages disappear on them.

So my questions are:

What's the deal? Are these mutually exclusive problems? If no, what's the connection?

What's the fix for the comp not being able to measure the oil level?

Why does the malfunction not stay? What's the fix for this?

For anyone that's had these problems, and fixed them, could you please let me know what the cause was?

As always, thanks for reading and helping.

David N.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:10 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
After the car has been running, you have to let it sit a few minutes before checking the oil level. Do it first thing in the morning before you start the car. I get those messages too, but it is because the car is actually low on oil. My car has a drinking problem. Check it with the dipstick if you want to really be sure.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by speedfrk
After the car has been running, you have to let it sit a few minutes before checking the oil level. Do it first thing in the morning before you start the car. I get those messages too, but it is because the car is actually low on oil. My car has a drinking problem. Check it with the dipstick if you want to really be sure.
That's the thing. I CAN NOT check the oil level any more.

I don't get the messages anymore (e.g. "Engine Oil Level - OK")

When trying to check the oil all I get is, "Engine Oil Level - Start ignition".

I hope it's not an oil problem. It actually sounds like a computer issue. Especially since the malfunctions are disappearing.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
The messages disappear because they are not major malfunctions they are more of a warning. The manual states that you must wait five minutes after turning off the vehicle to check your oil level. The vehicle must be on an almost level surfice and the key set to position 2 which is the run position just before start. It must not be started to check. Then it will tell you the proper level. If you have a pre-2003 then check via the dipstick. This is all clearly written in the manual. If the car did not warm up then wait 30 minutes to check it. I check mine around once a week before I start the car and it is always ok, but I do not have a dipstick so who the heck knows how much oil is in there.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:05 PM

mctwin2kman,

Thank you for the reply. I am aware of all the facts you outlined in your post.

My owners manual states that the messages must be manually cleared by a person. It does not say anything about the car resetting the indicator. If I am incorrect about this, please accept my apology. I am also familiar with the various severity levels of each message. C1 = the most severe, and cannot be cleared. C2 (my message) = can be cleared by the owner. C3 = very minor.

As for the owners manual being clear:

NO WAY!!!

In some instances, it's anything but clear. And I'm not the only who feels this way.

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Some messages DO go away when you turn the engine off. For example, If you get a "reserve fuel - visit filling station" it will appear in your list of fault messages (pages lower-right MFD) but if you turn the car off, it will reset and no longer appear immediately on restart. Same with the "Excessive Oil" fault message.

I don't know the answer to your question David, just suggesting that a mechanic is not needed to reset at least some of the messages. Looks like a dealer visit is in your future...
Old 02-13-2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by MB-BOB
Some messages DO go away when you turn the engine off. For example, If you get a "reserve fuel - visit filling station" it will appear in your list of fault messages (pages lower-right MFD) but if you turn the car off, it will reset and no longer appear immediately on restart. Same with the "Excessive Oil" fault message.

I don't know the answer to your question David, just suggesting that a mechanic is not needed to reset at least some of the messages. Looks like a dealer visit is in your future...
Thanks Bob. I knew I could count on a level headed response from you. I spoke with my service advisor. He says the messages should disappear from the screen. Though I already know he is wrong about that because when I went out for lunch, the car produced the error again, and it saved it along with the one from this morning. So now I should have 2 saved malfunctions. Let's see if they are still there when I go home later.

He told me to stop by after work today.

I'll post the outcome of my visit.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Sorry if I offended first off, it was not my intention. Moving on, yes I agree the manual is not the best. I would assume that the errors the owner can clear are cleared by the re-setting of the ignition, but this is not stated in the manual. I have not seen this message as of yet and hope I do not, but the fuel ones I clear by hitting a steering wheel button but they stay in malfunctions page until a re-start or I get gas. On re-start it takes a little bit to get the message back. I actually find it irritating but what can you do, I guess MB thinks we need big bright flashing idiot lights to tell us what is up. The light on the gauge is enough for me. Anyhow, Sorry again...
Old 02-13-2003, 06:13 PM

Had a similar occurrence this morning, except was ESP-Visit Workshop and BAS-Visit Workshop flashing back and forth. Messages went away when I scrolled to another menu and I noticed that they were stored as Faults or Malfunctions, can’t remember which. Anyway, when I went out to lunch, no warnings and nothing was stored, only the continuing F/L turn signal bulb in-op (which I can fix for a few days by removing and re-installing the same bulb!). Seems like a computer glitch of some sort.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 R350
MB-BOB, on my car the reserve fuel comes on immediately after starting the engine, it's actually coming on as soon as I turn on the ignition. Just my $0.02
Old 02-13-2003, 08:53 PM

Update...

When I started the car after work, the two malfunctions were no longer there. So anyway, I stopped by my dealer today after work. He came back to tell me that my car actually had MORE oil than it was supposed to. The dip stick was measuring at 161mm, and it should have been at 158 according to the tech. So they fixed that.

He reiterated that the malfunctions should disappear on restart, and that the malfunctions do not throw codes to the computer (I asked him if they checked for fault codes, this was his explanation why they didn't).

Initially he was worried that my car was low on oil.

Anyhow, it still doesn't explain why that particular malfunction was ocurring. It must be a glitch with the sensor/computer. I hope it doesn't resurface.

I did check the oil via computer twice after, and I recieved an "OK" message.

So I can relax for now.

mctwin2kman,

No apology necessary. I didn't mean to come off pissy to you in my post. I was just annoyed with my car.

OC WAGON,

Sounds exactly like mine. I guess my advisor is correct. The messages are supposed to disappear on re-start. You'd think by the wording of the message, "Visit Workshop!", that's it's something serious. Instead, MB is making me worry for nothing. These cars give too much information. Have you had a chance to investigate the problem? Is it the actual ESP-BAS, or is it your comp that's messed up?

Thanks again to everyone for their assistance. I sincerely appreciate it.

David N.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:17 AM

David N,

I agree about the severity of the message, wording makes it seem like a pretty major issue. Didn’t help that it came on during heavy morning traffic in the rain. It was still wet at lunch so I did a panic stop and also tried to break traction on the rear wheels – everything was normal. Not worried about it unless it continues to come on, then it becomes more of an annoyance than anything (just like that turn signal bulb that keeps fixing itself).