C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

TRANSMISSION SERVICE COST

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 Sport, 2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Patrick LowKey
Penske West Covina. 249.99 + Tax + Discount Coupon!
Lol I have that coupon too! Try calling Valley Mercedes in Covina. They're probably cheaper.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:10 AM

2005 C320 Sport, 2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by johnand

I haven't quite figured out if you are lucky or not, that Karo has moved his attention and jokes to you from Patrick
lmao. Was looking at smilies to reply w/ and then I saw this. LOL
Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT

I haven't quite figured out if you are lucky or not, that Karo has moved his attention and jokes to you from Patrick
Patrick was too easy. I need a little bit more of a challenge. With Patrick it was like "Hey I have candy in my car" but with Mike it's a little tougher. The challenge makes it more rewarding in the end. Phil on the other hand is one smart bull. I tried every trick in the book to lure him into my bat cave or bait cave at that and it didn't work.

Thanks for the link John and the DIY. When you coming to SoCal?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by Karo
Patrick was too easy. I need a little bit more of a challenge. With Patrick it was like "Hey I have candy in my car" but with Mike it's a little tougher. The challenge makes it more rewarding in the end. Phil on the other hand is one smart bull. I tried every trick in the book to lure him into my bat cave or bait cave at that and it didn't work.

Thanks for the link John and the DIY. When you coming to SoCal?
Hmm. Socal, not sure, that is a long drive for me. But, I drive down to Norcal a couple times a year though. Maybe you fools need to drive up to Norcal to meet up
Old 07-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E550 Coupe, '67 230 SL, '06 E350 4-Matic, '75 911S, '04 Porsche Boxster S, '04 Cayenne Turbo
Sorry, but the 7G is not as "special" as the dealer's want you to think it is. The 7G was designed in a way to make it difficult for DIY fluid and filter changes so they could charge $400-500 per service. But, a COMPETENT AND skilled DIY'er can easily properly service the 7G and save themselves a LOT of money. With that said, yes the 7G, is not a typical Honda transmission and you need to pay attention to what you are doing, because it is much easier to screw up the 7G vs. a Honda transmission and MUCH more expensive to repair if you do screw it up.

I did have my 7G serviced at the dealer at ~36K on my car, but did help my buddy change the fluid in his 7G. You need the following tools: http://www.asttool.com/detail_page.p...&manf=Mercedes and a high quality infrared thermometer like: http://us.fluke.com/usen/Products/Fluke+62.htm The Assenmacher 722.9 adapter is $38 direct, and the Fluke 62 can be had for around ~$85. The Fluke has many other uses as well, so it is a good tool to have.

In a few months when my 7G transmission is due for another service I will do a FULL write-up on how to properly service it. Here is a quick rundown, but is NOT intended to be used a how-to guide. Either get the service manual, or wait until I do the write-up. The car must be level!!! 1st, the "drain plug" is also the fill plug. When you take out the drain plug, little to no fluid will come out. You have to use a drift punch to knock the standoff pipe into the pan. Then the fluid will start to drain. Then drop the pan, change the filter, install a new standpipe, and new gasket. Then rebolt the pan on with NEW OEM bolts. The bolts are aluminum and 1 time use. The transmission housing is magnesium. Again, YOU MUST REPLACE ALL THE PAN BOLTS. Then you thread the Assenmacher tool into the pan. Pump fluid into the transmission until it is overflowing. Unscrew the tool. Start the car, run the shifter through all the gear position. With the car running in Park, take the thermometer and read the temperature of the fluid that is now overflowing the standpipe, and out the transmission pan drain plug. Once that fluid is at 40C, stop the engine and immediately put the drain plug in. That is the proper level. As you can see this is different that the typical change, but not really difficult, you just absolutely have to do it correctly.

As far as how often to service the 7G? NA MB service interval in 38K miles, then no other services listed in the service guide. But in the rest of the world, as Glyn pointed out earlier in this thread, MB recommends 7G service ever 60K miles, which is ~37K miles. So, if you intend to keep your 7G running as long as possible, I would stick to that interval.
John,

I had to come over to the W203 forum to find some DIYer's. You'll get flamed in some forums for mentioning that you can change your own fluid/filter in a 7G tranny.

Thanks for the link to the adaptor tool and I'm looking forward to your complete writeup.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:36 PM

c240
i have an 04 C240 sedan...so i need 12quarts of AT fluid?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gild
John,

I had to come over to the W203 forum to find some DIYer's. You'll get flamed in some forums for mentioning that you can change your own fluid/filter in a 7G tranny.

Thanks for the link to the adaptor tool and I'm looking forward to your complete writeup.
Really?!?! Who would be doing the flaming, service techs from the dealer?

I got sidetracked last weekend, but plan on doing the transmission service this weekend.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:52 AM

'10 E550 Coupe, '67 230 SL, '06 E350 4-Matic, '75 911S, '04 Porsche Boxster S, '04 Cayenne Turbo
Really?!?! Who would be doing the flaming, service techs from the dealer?

I got sidetracked last weekend, but plan on doing the transmission service this weekend.
I've generally found service techs to be all about helping a guy DIY when away from the job. They generally enjoy mechanical things.

The flamers seem to be insecure know-it-all snobs who revel in you knowing they have enough money to drive a Mercedes but don't know how to check the air pressure in their tires.

Anyway, I think I can make one of those ATF adaptors shown at the AST site. Did you use one of their pumps with the adaptor?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

I've generally found service techs to be all about helping a guy DIY when away from the job. They generally enjoy mechanical things.

The flamers seem to be insecure know-it-all snobs who revel in you knowing they have enough money to drive a Mercedes but don't know how to check the air pressure in their tires.

Anyway, I think I can make one of those ATF adaptors shown at the AST site. Did you use one of their pumps with the adaptor?
I hear you about the snobs. I have been working on my own cars for over 20 years, and most of the time really enjoy it. Though, it is getting harder and harder to DIY, as manufacturers keep trying to save their service departments livelyhood, by designing the cars to be harder to service for the typical shadetree mechanic. I can't hardly blame them though But, I will continue to try and service my cars myself, until the tools required get too expensive. The $600 I have into my STAR clone system is almost my threshold.

You could easily make one of the adapters, it is just a hunk of steel with 12mm x 1.5mm threads and a hole through the middle. I almost made one myself, but for less than $40, it wasn't worth my time. The Assenmacher tool is of very high quality. I didn't buy their overpriced pump though. Just attached a simple automotive bottle pump hose to the tool. Works great, and is inexpensive.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:51 AM

I hear you about the snobs. I have been working on my own cars for over 20 years, and most of the time really enjoy it. Though, it is getting harder and harder to DIY, as manufacturers keep trying to save their service departments livelyhood, by designing the cars to be harder to service for the typical shadetree mechanic. I can't hardly blame them though But, I will continue to try and service my cars myself, until the tools required get too expensive. The $600 I have into my STAR clone system is almost my threshold.

You could easily make one of the adapters, it is just a hunk of steel with 12mm x 1.5mm threads and a hole through the middle. I almost made one myself, but for less than $40, it wasn't worth my time. The Assenmacher tool is of very high quality. I didn't buy their overpriced pump though. Just attached a simple automotive bottle pump hose to the tool. Works great, and is inexpensive.
The older I get, the more I enjoy it. 20 years ago I worked on cars because of economic necessity. Staying up until midnight working on your car in freezing weather so you could drive it to work the next morning isn't exactly fun. Now I choose to work on them because it is fun now and the time isn't pressing (and not to mention that I think I will do a more thorough job than a paid mechanic). I do have to admit that some of the new electronic stuff is intimidating but once you spend some time thinking about it there seems to be a way around most of it.

If I could find the Assenmacher tool locally I would probably grab one. I thought I'd just drill a hole with the lathe on a 12x1.5 bolt and attach a hose like you've done.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

The older I get, the more I enjoy it. 20 years ago I worked on cars because of economic necessity. Staying up until midnight working on your car in freezing weather so you could drive it to work the next morning isn't exactly fun. Now I choose to work on them because it is fun now and the time isn't pressing (and not to mention that I think I will do a more thorough job than a paid mechanic). I do have to admit that some of the new electronic stuff is intimidating but once you spend some time thinking about it there seems to be a way around most of it.

If I could find the Assenmacher tool locally I would probably grab one. I thought I'd just drill a hole with the lathe on a 12x1.5 bolt and attach a hose like you've done.
Yep, I have those same memories too of working on the car until early morning, outside in the weather, just getting finished in time to go to work. Now I have a decent conditioned garage, and more than 1 vehicle to drive, so I am not under that pressure, and it is more enjoyable now.

I am VERY particular about everything I own, and one of the biggest reasons I work on my own car is I can never get things done how I want by someone else. Same goes for my house. That is why if I am not working on the car, I am working on the house

Yeah, drilling a hole in a bolt would work too, and is super cheap. I bought mine online here: http://www.toolsource.com/mercedes-7...-p-105640.html
Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
That looks similar to the adapter that I had to buy to change the oil in the American wife's Audi TT with the DSG transmission. I don't know why everybody seems to be eliminating the fill plug, it can't cost that much.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lkfoster
That looks similar to the adapter that I had to buy to change the oil in the American wife's Audi TT with the DSG transmission. I don't know why everybody seems to be eliminating the fill plug, it can't cost that much.
It is NOT for cost savings. It is like I said, they are designing the cars to discourage people to do their own maintenance. It is to keep the dealerships revenues up.

Frankly though, it is better to not have a dipstick/fill tube, as they are a large source of contamination. By having the fill through the drain plug, that essentially "seals" the transmission.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
While I agree that it's best to not be sucking in contamination, the transmission needs a vent somewhere. As temperatures change the air space inside the transmission needs to be vented to atmosphere as the fluid and air expands and contracts. Lip seals leak if not vented.

The fill tube on my C55 transmission has an o-ring seal which means there has to be a vent somewhere else in the transmission housing. I'd look for it on my STAR service manual if I could ever figure out how to get it to work on 64-bit machine.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lkfoster
While I agree that it's best to not be sucking in contamination, the transmission needs a vent somewhere. As temperatures change the air space inside the transmission needs to be vented to atmosphere as the fluid and air expands and contracts. Lip seals leak if not vented.

The fill tube on my C55 transmission has an o-ring seal which means there has to be a vent somewhere else in the transmission housing. I'd look for it on my STAR service manual if I could ever figure out how to get it to work on 64-bit machine.
Absolutely, the 722.6 and 722.9 transmissions are both vented for that reason. That is why I had sealed in quotes.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:29 AM

2002 C240, 2006 ML350, 2011 X3
Hi guys, my car has around 155k KM on it right now, and has never had a transmission service.... should i get this done with a total flush or just the regular service.
Or should I just leave it.... The dealer told me to not service it since it is a lifetime sealed transmission.
I am confused :S
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by londonbenzkid
Hi guys, my car has around 155k KM on it right now, and has never had a transmission service.... should i get this done with a total flush or just the regular service.
Or should I just leave it.... The dealer told me to not service it since it is a lifetime sealed transmission.
I am confused :S
Lifetime fill is BS, especially on an automatic transmission. Get it serviced ASAP. You should do a standard drop the pan, change the filter, etc. Then do a full flush. Members here have changed their fluid with less miles and the fluid looked horrendous.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 AM

ok thanks for the fast reply !
Old 07-18-2010, 11:47 AM

2007 c230
liftime seal if the car wont last past 75k. The BMW recommened is 100K and people change it every 40K and looks horriblely burnt and discolored. Whats cheaper?? 150-200 for an a tranny fluid change 2-3 times for the life of the car or a new tranmission?
Old 07-18-2010, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Lifetime fill is BS,
No one has every explained it so clearly before
Old 07-29-2010, 05:03 PM

just did the service, car feels MUCH smoother!
changed 4 L of ATF, gasket and filter, all parts from Dealer
costed 180$ CDN with taxes

Last edited by londonbenzkid; 07-29-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Yep, I have those same memories too of working on the car until early morning, outside in the weather, just getting finished in time to go to work. Now I have a decent conditioned garage, and more than 1 vehicle to drive, so I am not under that pressure, and it is more enjoyable now.

I am VERY particular about everything I own, and one of the biggest reasons I work on my own car is I can never get things done how I want by someone else. Same goes for my house. That is why if I am not working on the car, I am working on the house

Yeah, drilling a hole in a bolt would work too, and is super cheap. I bought mine online here: http://www.toolsource.com/mercedes-7...-p-105640.html
OK, took your advice and bought the tool. Now I'm just waiting on your pictorial
Old 08-16-2010, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

OK, took your advice and bought the tool. Now I'm just waiting on your pictorial
I am out of town on business this week. I have the write-up almost complete, just have to work on the video. I'll try to get something up next week.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 SL500
I just changed my fluid in my 05 C230K. I replaced approx. 3.8 ltrs of fluid. Very easy to do - my only hangup is that I stripped the plastic drain plug in the pan, so I carefully removed 4 screws to the pan, and then SLOWLY unscrewed the two back screws and the fluid drained out. Replaced the filter and gasket, filled with new fluid through the dipstick tube, checked level, no leaks, good to go!!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 AM

2002 c240
I have the 2002 c240 which we bought at Caliber motors in Anaheim, CA. The only time that they suggested I change the tranny fluid was when I told them that it was shifting a little hard. that was at 163000 miles. Luckily I found this forum that had the DIY for the 722.6 tranny flush. the car runs great, just that it make a howling noise when it moves. I hope that i did not do any damage to the tranny thanks to them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: TRANSMISSION SERVICE COST