C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Moral Dilemna

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Moral Dilemna

I received my 'customer satisfaction' survey last night, and I'm faced with a serious quagmire.

Should I be honest about the problems that surrounded my order, restating to MBUSA that the dealer screwed up my original order, failed to communicate accurate information, avoided my calls, side stepped me on visits, short-sheeted my delivery process (10 minute nervous demo of features and settings without reviewing warranty or service) and can now not even get the keychains they promised on delivery?

Or should I express my complete satisfaction with the car, and leave it at that?

Here's where it becomes a moral issue: If I shrug off the 'dealer mistreatment', their entire mistake and subsequent accusations by the salesmonkey and sales manager is completely swept under the proverbial carpet and nobody is held accountable for the BS I went through to buy my first Mercedes. This runs the risk of allowing the dealership enough slack to repeat their performance (or lack thereof!) with other customers.

If I'm completely honest and spell it all out (is there enough room on the form?), I understand I run the risk of less than exemplary service/treatment in the future, further souring my already tainted relationship with the organization.

So, I pose the question to the forum: Please share your opinions as most of you know the trials and tribulations surrounding the situation, as well as the result of the survey responses (I've not even opened the envelope ...yet).

[B][COLOR=indigo]
Old 11-16-2001, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you already run the risk of getting less than satisfactory service from this dealership. How can a problem be addressed by the authorities (MBUSA in this case) if it isn't brought to their attention?

I think you already know what you should do. Just be honest in your answers.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
there are no other dealers nearby?

if you feel that there may be retributions b/c of the bad survey, then, the dealership is worse than i thought. i'd fill it out honestly w/ a more negative leaning.

i don't think the service guys are going to have a note in their system that says certain customers should get treated badly.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Angry

Rick, is there really a a chance of retribution? I think you've been watching too many movies. I'd assume that the MB survey is anonymous, and can't be traced back to individual owners, no? Though, if they get a bad grade and get notified, I guess that they can think about from whom it would have been.

My advise: give them what they deserve, and if the service sucks, go to another dealer (isn't Ray Catena close?), or involve MBNA again. Honesty is underrated.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:34 AM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
There is a balance you can find. Be totally honest and straightforward, but edit out any 'personal' feelings or emotions. Make it something that is useful, without being an attack.

It is most likely that even if MB USA shares it with the dealer, an straighforward survey that doesn't attack without reason will be well received. The higher ups at the local dealership probably have no idea what you went through.

Rick
Old 11-16-2001, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tommy, as you may have seen on your survey, the customer's name, address and telephone number are listed on the back page of the form. So, no...it's hardly annonymous. (I opened it with the same thought...shortly after submitting my original post)

Ray Catena is about 23 miles from my front door, as opposed to Princeton, which is around 11 miles. Millenium is closer than Catena(about 14 miles). Distance to service is not really an issue, but more my entitlment to a loaner and other services if I didn't purchase the car there.

...and Young, I have visions of Seinfeld's "The Permanent Record" episode, where Elaine goes to a Doctor, complains about his demeanor, and has that Dr's notes about her being a 'difficult patient' follow her even though she changes Doctors multiple times during the course of her ailment. LOL
Old 11-16-2001, 10:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yeah, I know about filling out the info. I actually sent mine out this past Monday (after almost two months of ownership - oops!). I would assume, though, that MBUSA would only reveal the scores to the local dealership, not who did them. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but that's the way that I'd guess it would work.

Yeah, the loaner thing would suck. Calls you might want to make: MBUSA - to ask them about what info is given to the dealership, and Millenium and Ray service dept's - to explain situation, and ask them if they would provide you a free loaner. Not all dealerships have the "if you don't buy your car from us, we'll screw you on loaners" attitude. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2001, 10:56 AM

2002 C320 c2/c3/c4 & command
Question

I also get my MB buyer survey form this week and have the same thought as yours. I checked the form and it has all my info at the last page. Also there is a welcome letter which indicated where I bought the car from, and there is a number on the lower righthand conner which is also appear on every pages on the survey form (located on the upper righthand conner). So, I feel that my dealer some how will know who filled out the survey form.

Now the question is how you guys filled out your survey?

I also have visions of Seinfeld's "The Permanent Record" episode too.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Easy

I gave my dealership and the car "excellents" in almost every category. My only gripes related to the sunroof: a - that it broke in my second week, and b - that my dealer gave me a Taurus wagon as a loaner. Both were valid issues, and I didn't say anything stupid, just that I had issues. I did go on to say that the blinds are a really crappy design in general (had to get that one in).

You know, nothing will happen if everyone says that everything is peachy, when it's not.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:33 AM
Almost a Member!

C230k coupe
I let my dealer fill it out and hope to get continuous excellent service in return.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:46 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Honesty is a Obligation, not a Moral Dilemna.

Rick, your problems with your dealer are legendary on this forum... everyone has sympathised with your pain (other than our famous Dr. I, who never got it RIP?).

Although the dealer did attempt to smooth over some of the rough edges with the nice freebies they've thrown in (I'm jealous), I genuinely feel that you need to point out the pitfalls you encountered.

Certainly, the transmission debacle warrants someone's attention. Every car I've ever ordered where both manual and auto trannies were available, specified the manual tranny as standard, and the auto was special order optional. If it is really true that a standard coupe order defaults to the automatic tranny and the manual shift requires a exceptional "Special order code," then I think you've uncovered a problem, and your observations will be enlightening both for your dealer AND MB-USA, as their procedures run counter to the rest of the industry and consumer expectations. Either you were given truthful information, which MB-USA needs to address as a real concern, or you were lied-to... in which case the clowns at MB-USA will know and they will fight an internal battle or two with the dealer.

You don't need me to tell you this, but if you can keep your remarks factual (as you have been led to believe) and unemotional in delivery, MB-USA should accept them as constructive criticism, rather than negative whining that some might consider as reason for "retribution."

If you've had no major problems with the car so far, by the time you've accumulated a short list of warranty items and schedule a service visit to the dealer, the sales side of the house should have long forgotten you. I wouldn't go back to them, anyway. I'd deal directly with the service department, not even mention your salesmonkey by name, etc. By then he probably won't even work there... Sales Pros are retained, while Salesmonkeys hop dealers more often than rabbits make little rabbits!

I'm not sure service departments bother to open a file on your car until you present it for service (since you can take it anywhere). That being the possibility (maybe Mr. V can verify?), I can't see how the sales side can flag the service department in advance to give you the rag when you show up. If they do, however, I'd quickly pounce on that, and find a service dept at another dealer.

I DO understand what you are going through. I recently bought a Toyota Corolla for my daughter (since totalled at 425 miles, but that's another story). The dealer threw a hidden fee on the paperwork, AFTER we verbally agreed on the delivered price. No, I didn't pay the fee, but I bet most do in their haste to sign the paperwork. I'm staring at the Toyota survey envelope trying to decide what to do as well. I will find a way to point out the fee trick as a downer, just don't know how, yet.

Good luck, friend. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-16-2001, 12:22 PM
Almost a Member!

MB C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Sending survey _back_ to dealer

My dealer told me to send the survey back to them, and they will kindly forward it to MBUSA HQ. And of course I am promised my free car cover if I fill it in with full marks.

I've read elsewhere that I should photocopy the survey, send it back to the dealer as they requested, get the free thingamajigs, and then send in the copied survey with my true feelings to MBUSA.

Not that I have much to complain about, it's just the principle of the thing.

I don't have to worry about the service dept. because I bought the car in Southern California, and will most likely get it serviced in Oakland (have heard no bad experiences with the service dept. there, but have had a snobby experience with the sales dept.).

Any of you guys experience something of this nature?
Old 11-16-2001, 01:10 PM

satisfaction dissatisfaction

A few thoughs on approaching the issue with the dealer.
1.The retaliation issue, remember that sales and service operate as separate departments. You are done with the sales folks, so now the relationship you will have is with service departments. I typically shop for price on cars and buy them at other than the local dealer. However, after sale, I bring them to the local dealer. They are always quite happy to have the business. I checked with MB service departments around here, and loaner cars are available irrespective of selling dealer.

2. Why not try a slight shift in attitude and approach the owner and/or dealership manager directly. As your posts here are ample evidence, a dissatisfied customer is likely to tell lots of others, and that does no good for their business. Approach the highest levels of the dealership management, indicate that you want to have a good feeling about dealing with them, and have some idea of what they might do to make it right. Everybody's interests are best served by converting you to a happy camper. However, that ofter requires some tactful assertiveness. Is there anything they can reasonably do, at this point, to have you be satisfied? Seriously, what would they have to do for you to feel that they had set things right?

Especially in these economic times, it is critically important for businesses to satisfy their customers. You might find some satisfaction and success by letting the owner know that you did not have a good experience there, want him to know about your perceptions, and would like to give them an opportunity to make it right. If that doesn't work out OK, certainly let MB USA know. They make great cars, but the service that people receive is what is going to keep them in business.

If it doesn't work out, you can always take your business elsewhere.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:51 PM

'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
Take the Survey to the GM of the dealership ...

BLANK.

Also have with you your list of things they screwed up on.

1. For lying to me ... I'll take $2k off MSRP on my next car ...

2. For not returning my calls ... I'll take an Additonal $1k off,

and so on, etc..

Have the GM write it all down on his letter head and sign and date it. In return, you'll have accomplished everything you wanted to: educated the dealership on their shortcummings; gotten some sort of compensation for your hassles.

these surveys are looked upon by dealerships as one of the most valuable things imaginable. It is how MB determines which dealership gets perks and special vehicle allotments.

I've even heard stories about salesman bribing the customer to bring the survey into the dealership when it arrives, and the salesman and the customer will fill it out together, while looking through the gift shop for little thank you present.

You've got a great opportunity to educate as well as be compensated ... but its up to you.

Good luck, let us know what happens!
Old 11-16-2001, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok folks, thanks for all your constructive and informative posts....I can now go home, have a pint of pumpkin ale and ponder all this over the next week or so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining about any of this, and I'm extremely happy with the car (just finished the suggested 1k break in). The dealer's crapola is all behind me, and for that...all is good.

I have but two decisions to make...how many pints should I have...and how much should I make them sweat?~~
Old 11-16-2001, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Here's another opinion, albeit a little late. I agree most with Flashman's response. Relate your problems on the questionnaire in a straightforward way w/o the personal additions. They screwed up big time, and you should tell MB about it -- this is not how they want customers to be treated. As most of the others have said, I wouldn't worry about retribution. At this point, they know it would probably only make things worse for them. Do NOT let them fill out the questionnaire, I think this practice is "bad business". I gave my salesman a little slack when I answered the questions. He was very helpful, honest, etc. The only thing he did that I didn't like was taking several interruptions during the delivery process which eventually made me wait longer than I should have. I mostly discounted that when I filled out the form. I think an honest evaluation will help MB make improvements where needed.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I gave my survey to the salesperson and didn't look back. It brings a twinkle to their eye when they can fill it out themselves. It doesn't hurt to have a friend at the dealership should a problem crop up in service or you need a discount on parts or accessories. If you had issues with your saleman then you can give it to the sales manager saying that although you were not happy with the way you were treated but you don't want the harbor bad feelings and have it reflect back on his department. It shows you're the bigger man and he owes you one. They take the surveys seriously and probably counts towards their bonuses.
Old 11-16-2001, 07:26 PM
Out Of Control!

Question

I gave an honest opinion about my survey and my salesguy is pretty cool with it. No hard feelings.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
what dilemma?

There is no moral dilemma here. One possible action is moral and the other is not. Do the right thing!
Old 11-17-2001, 05:08 PM

Acura 3.2 CL Type S
Be Honest!

The survey doesn't go to the dealership it goes to the head offices or something. Tell them how you feel and they will keep it in their computer. if they get a bunch of surveys like yours they will probably follow up.
Old 11-17-2001, 06:34 PM

Loaner cars

Guys,

I have read so many complaints about not getting a MB as a loaner when your car is being serviced. Think how lucky you are to be able to complain about the loaner car you have.

I get my new C Coupe in January and if I have to take it in for service and get a loaner (I think my MB dealer loans Mazda 626's) it will be the first time in my life that I have gotten a loaner that wasn't a BETTER car than the one I was getting serviced. LOL

Count your blessings, life could be a lot harder.
Old 11-17-2001, 10:10 PM

Big Corp. Does Listen!

Let MB know your experience and opinion. Recently, I had a call from Cingular, the cellular carrier, asking me to do a short telephone survey. I did it, being very frank about my dissatisfaction with billing problems. They asked if I wanted to have someone contact me about my complaint. I said yes, never expecting to hear any more. The next day I had a call from a highly placed supervisor who had already reviewed my account. They resolved all the problems, gave me a $100 credit for the difficulties I encountered, and left me with a direct dial extension to contact them with any future problems.

I was very pleasantly surprised, and became a much more satisfied and loyal customer.

Today, service is returning as a critical factor for corporate success. I can't believe that a company selling cars in the 25k to 155k range doesnt see customer service and satisfaction as VERY VERY important. Let people know how you feel and give them an opportunity to take care of you properly.

The press I have seen about the 230 coupe says that MB wants to market to a younger and entry level market, to get them started with the brand, hopefully to continue and move up the line. They certainly don't want these customers getting turned off by salesmen.
Old 11-18-2001, 06:00 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Originally posted by Rick
Ray Catena is about 23 miles from my front door, as opposed to Princeton, which is around 11 miles. Millenium is closer than Catena(about 14 miles). Distance to service is not really an issue, but more my entitlment to a loaner and other services if I didn't purchase the car there.
oh poor you, you actually went to mb princeton. they are, from what i hear, and my own experiences, one of the worst dealerships as far as quality of the sales team.

i swear to god, its a team of monkeys working there.

when i first talked price with my **** monkey over at mb, i was told i was getting a free key chain and that was the best i would ever get on a coupe, yea right.

i called to cancel my order for my coupe from them, (since keenan treated me so much better) and they would have my car in just a couple of days, so i wouldnt cancel the order.

11 days pass, my car is a figment of their imagination, they cant even give me a vin. canceled

despicable, disgraceful, and disgusting.

avoid mb princeton if you can
avoid it like the plague

greg
Old 11-18-2001, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hence my coining of the term 'salesmonkey'....

Ok, time to move on. The car is much better than the sales experience. Period, End of it, Final.

NEXT!!
Old 11-19-2001, 10:35 AM
Out Of Control!

Talking

Salesmonkey?? That's a good one! lol!!!! :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Moral Dilemna