C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Power Steering issue on '07 C230 V6

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2009 | 10:29 PM

Power Steering issue on '07 C230 V6

So back track a few days ago..

My brother takes my car out for a spin, and he's a very "spirited" driver. I go to take my car out today and it's hard as fock to turn the wheel. I take it for a spin anyway and when I got up to higher speeds the car became somewhat drivable again. I checked the power steering fluid and there's plenty in there, and I put some cardboard under the car to check for leaks, and nothing. Is there a way to reset the power steering pump myself? Is there a even a way to reset it?

I heard (and tried) to turn the wheel 5x each side fully locking then releasing the PS cap, and got nothing. And I was literally sore from trying to turn the wheel.

Also, I noticed if I rev up the car at a stand still and turn the wheel it is A LOT easier to turn. Don't know if that helps?

I would take it to the Dealer and will if I can't sort it out myself. It's just that my car is pretty low and don't want my dealer to blame the low suspension for the mess up. I can crank the coils as high as they go and go to the dealer, but I'd rather do that as a last precaution.

Thanks for your help in advance guys!
-Amar

Car info..2007 C230 V6 with approx 11k on her.
Old 07-27-2009 | 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...a panty dropper...
Originally Posted by dblock2151

My brother takes my car out for a spin, and he's a very "spirited" driver. I go to take my car out today and it's hard as fock to turn the wheel. I take it for a spin anyway and when I got up to higher speeds the car became somewhat drivable again. I checked the power steering fluid and there's plenty in there, and I put some cardboard under the car to check for leaks, and nothing. Is there a way to reset the power steering pump myself? Is there a even a way to reset it?

I heard (and tried) to turn the wheel 5x each side fully locking then releasing the PS cap, and got nothing. And I was literally sore from trying to turn the wheel.

Also, I noticed if I rev up the car at a stand still and turn the wheel it is A LOT easier to turn. Don't know if that helps?

I would take it to the Dealer and will if I can't sort it out myself. It's just that my car is pretty low and don't want my dealer to blame the low suspension for the mess up. I can crank the coils as high as they go and go to the dealer, but I'd rather do that as a last precaution.

-Amar

I have the exact same issue with my 02 C240 and still have yet to figure it out. I opened a thred in regards to it and Glyn tried to help me out saying it may be the steering rack leaking and when I checked there was no leak. I have yet to take it to the dealer and I am contemplating on buying a new P/S pump and installing it myself but I dont know if I want to dish out $500 for a new one just yet. Maybe you will get some more help and figure out the issue. If you do get the problem resolved can you keep me posted. Thanks and good luck.
Old 07-27-2009 | 12:58 AM

Yeah bro, I'll definitely let you know. When you rev your car while parked, and turn the wheel, is it easier to turn at all? This is the only thing that doesn't make sense to me. I figured if my p/s pump was blown, then it shouldn't be easier to turn just because I rev it?
Old 07-27-2009 | 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...a panty dropper...
Yeah bro, I'll definitely let you know. When you rev your car while parked, and turn the wheel, is it easier to turn at all? This is the only thing that doesn't make sense to me. I figured if my p/s pump was blown, then it shouldn't be easier to turn just because I rev it?
Its a little bit easier but not a whole lot like when it worked at 100%. My forearms are getting quite the workout though so I dont even need to go to the gym anymore I wish some codes would come up on the dash to help but nope, nothing. I know someone on here got there whole steering rack replaced at the stealership and it was over $1000 so thats why I am dreading taking it to the dealer.
Old 07-27-2009 | 01:42 AM
Banned

02 C320 Sedan
Mine does this too.. but if i turn the ac on its smooth its pretty odd
Old 07-27-2009 | 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...a panty dropper...
There is a member with a C55 that seems to be having the same problem.

LINK

He might get more help so maybe if he figures out the issue then we can find out what the hell is going on with ours too.
Old 07-27-2009 | 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 CLK320 (sold), 2007 C230 SS (gone), 2000 Grand Marquis, 2011 CR-Z, stay tuned...
Could the issue have something to do with the universal accessory belt? like, when the car is at a low idle, the belt runs slower and the power steering pump doesn't pump as well... I have this problem sometimes too when I am driving and come to a stop quickly while trying to turn (like when parking). If I rev just a bit it fixes the problem, even if i let off the gas. I had a problem in my clk... when I would stop, sometimes the revs would drop below idle for just a second, then right back up. this car could be doing the same thing.
Old 11-12-2009 | 10:40 PM

c240
hi guys, i have the same problem. it happened today after going full throttle on a u-turn....whats the problem of the power steering? help pls
Old 02-26-2010 | 02:42 AM

MERCEDES BENZ c230 KOMPRESSOR

-Amar

hey bro i got to ask you guys a question. i got a 05 c230 v4 and i put some 19" mrr gt-1s on it. pure chrome rims. after a bit i started to realize power steering fluid had begin to fall and heard the loud noises at cold starts. i have no idea why this happened some said that it was because of the rims compared to the 16" oems but im not sure...i talked to the rim guys and they havent heard anything like it before.
got an help me for me?

thanks
-Sandeep
Old 02-26-2010 | 03:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by 2005mb_c230
hey bro i got to ask you guys a question. i got a 05 c230 v4 and i put some 19" mrr gt-1s on it. pure chrome rims. after a bit i started to realize power steering fluid had begin to fall and heard the loud noises at cold starts. i have no idea why this happened some said that it was because of the rims compared to the 16" oems but im not sure...i talked to the rim guys and they havent heard anything like it before.
got an help me for me?

thanks
-Sandeep
Let's start with the positives.. You used the search function successfully.

Unfortunately it is all down hill from that. Aside from the general incoherence.. Anyone who refers to C230K (or any production car) as having a V4 has exteremely limited knowledge of cars and should be cautious during any mods.

Oh yeah.. The 2005 C230 sport had oem 17"s
Old 02-26-2010 | 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...a panty dropper...
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Let's start with the positives.. You used the search function successfully.

Unfortunately it is all down hill from that. Aside from the general incoherence.. Anyone who refers to C230K (or any production car) as having a V4 has exteremely limited knowledge of cars and should be cautious during any mods.

Oh yeah.. The 2005 C230 sport had oem 17"s
Its a custom V4 engine rather than the inline 4. Its like the golden ticket from Willie Wonka, only a few were made! But with the wheels as your problem doesnt really sound legit since a lot of us put 19s on with no issues including myself. Your P/S fluid reservoir might need to be checked out for leaks or something along those lines. GL.
Old 02-26-2010 | 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
MBWorld Ambassador

late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Top up the fluid to the correct level, turn wheel lock to lock 5 times to prime - check fluid again. Check for leaks - your fluid is low. It has nothing to do with your wheels.

For others. If multiple reboots & resetting the steering angle sensor does not work & you have no internal or external rack/piping leaks - you need a new PS pump. You might also need a new angle sensor.