C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

TO ALL NOOBS: STFF BEFORE POSTING!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
Originally Posted by i_am_amused
you forgot my two favorites:

"have you had sex in your car?" (correct answer: no, I own a home with actual beds, couches, and floors. )
"how do you look cool in your car?" (correct answer: I sit in it. )

and, of course:

"is it cool to put <good car> badges on my <not-so-good car>?" (correct answer: STFF!)
The W203 is cheap to buy now, even the AMG models, so they are going to be bought by more and more "kids". My car was $41K CND new, now its worth $6K on trade.

Most of the senior members are a little older, and don't want to discuss these topics, then perhaps its time to trade-in and get a new ride that the "kids" cannot afford.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:55 AM

'03 C320 Sedan, '04 SAAB 9-3 Cabrio
Thansk, Frank. We should keep this bumped to the top.
Oh, I have one more thing to add for the noobs:

STFF!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by amanonfire
Most of the senior members are a little older, and don't want to discuss these topics, then perhaps its time to trade-in and get a new ride that the "kids" cannot afford.
maybe the senior members decided to keep their w203 and get another ride(s) too... see sig

that's why I laugh when kids with C240's, C230's or C320's think that their cars are "fast."
Old 08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by nlpamg
maybe the senior members decided to keep their w203 and get another ride(s) too... see sig
That is an airplane, not just a ride.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
And another one of these....noob bashing threads!

Guys, I totally understand how you feel about new threads being created, and I definitely agree that noobs (like myself) should search before posting.

BUT I maintain that sometimes, unless you know the right key words, its impossible to find the information you are looking for! For example, trying to find info about the feature where the windows roll up/down when the button on the remote if held down, is impossible without knowing the key word "summer convenience feature".

When you see a new thread on something familiar, remember that it is familiar to you, not to us noobs! So just post a quick reply with something like search for "xyz". Thats less effort than creating this thread, and its actually helpful.

And Frank, maybe you shouldve STFF'd before starting this thread (read the last few posts):
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-function.html
Old 08-04-2009, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
jcnash - Frank started this thread and immediately made it clear that it was a reflection of the recent activities on this forum. That thread is not recent. It has been really bad lately, especially with people asking about "common problems" with various years of the W203. This is easy stuff to find.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:13 PM

W203
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
especially with people asking about "common problems" with various years of the W203. This is easy stuff to find.
Its actually not easy to find.

I've been looking at a Jeep Wrangler, so I've been reading the Jeep forums trying to figure out what reliability problems there are. I gave up searching since "reliability" isn't a very good search term I can see now from experience on other forums, if you don't know what to search for it can be frustrating.

Especially here where some of the terms aren't common, and some of the problems hardly common. Try searching for "$12 hose" in this forum and see what's returned - yet "$12 hose" is the common name for the upper vent hose problem. Better yet, try "cam sensors" when actually the problem is with the "cam actuators", the sensors are a completely different part yet we've mis-used the wrong term so long its accepted.

So next time you want to harp on a noob to STFF, try it yourself and see how easy it really is.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:15 PM

W203
Originally Posted by nlpamg
I wish, I don't have the garage space for 2 cars. Still love my W203, yet have run out of things to do to it, looking at a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited to mod then play in the mud!
Old 08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
[]

As much as I agree with Frank about new members needing to learn how to fully utilize the forum's search features, I cant help but feel like the whole STFF thing has just gotten out of hand. New members w/ a few hundred posts seem to get a kick out of STFFing even NEWER members only because they were probably STFF'd like crazy when they were new too.

Telling a newer member to search the forum vs telling them to STFF is so different, yet the outcome is the same. I say we stop using the STFF acronym and start just simply saying "please search" or "use the search" or something less condescending. STFF just makes this place feel so unwelcoming and I dont believe that is what these forum these are all about. The forums are a place to exchange experience/information. Maybe instead of telling a new member to STFF, more experiences members should post the keywords they would use to search. In the end, this will hopefully do less damage to the search features and make us not sound like such a-holes :x

[/]
Old 08-04-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240
The W203 is probably one of the most problematic or unreliable models produced by Mercedes. Also one of the most widely sold I believe. Many or more accurately most of the problems anyone will ever encounter with these models has been discussed here.

And yes I believe STFF may be interpreted as "unfriendly" as a previous poster stated. It almost looks like STFU. The "F" has the same meaning in both.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:08 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Originally Posted by TruTaing
[]

Telling a newer member to search the forum vs telling them to STFF is so different, yet the outcome is the same. I say we stop using the STFF acronym and start just simply saying "please search" or "use the search" or something less condescending. STFF just makes this place feel so unwelcoming and I dont believe that is what these forum these are all about. The forums are a place to exchange experience/information. Maybe instead of telling a new member to STFF, more experiences members should post the keywords they would use to search. In the end, this will hopefully do less damage to the search features and make us not sound like such a-holes :x

[/]

cheers to that!

lol, btw i love this emocotion ==>
Old 08-04-2009, 06:03 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by jcnash
And another one of these....noob bashing threads!

Guys, I totally understand how you feel about new threads being created, and I definitely agree that noobs (like myself) should search before posting.

BUT I maintain that sometimes, unless you know the right key words, its impossible to find the information you are looking for! For example, trying to find info about the feature where the windows roll up/down when the button on the remote if held down, is impossible without knowing the key word "summer convenience feature".

When you see a new thread on something familiar, remember that it is familiar to you, not to us noobs! So just post a quick reply with something like search for "xyz". Thats less effort than creating this thread, and its actually helpful.

And Frank, maybe you shouldve STFF'd before starting this thread (read the last few posts):
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-function.html
every time you post something just made me laugh.

you don't need to know the "keyword" to search. all you need to know is to type "common problem" in the search box in the 203 forum and TONS of common problems threads are listed and guess what? majority of them are those that are already linked in the DIY/Aftermarket thread on the first page plus the fact that you can tell the importance of the thread by looking at the number of time the thread is viewed.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:06 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Its actually not easy to find.

I've been looking at a Jeep Wrangler, so I've been reading the Jeep forums trying to figure out what reliability problems there are. I gave up searching since "reliability" isn't a very good search term I can see now from experience on other forums, if you don't know what to search for it can be frustrating.

Especially here where some of the terms aren't common, and some of the problems hardly common. Try searching for "$12 hose" in this forum and see what's returned - yet "$12 hose" is the common name for the upper vent hose problem. Better yet, try "cam sensors" when actually the problem is with the "cam actuators", the sensors are a completely different part yet we've mis-used the wrong term so long its accepted.

So next time you want to harp on a noob to STFF, try it yourself and see how easy it really is.
read the reply I posted above for jcnash.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:43 PM

W203
Originally Posted by FrankW
majority of them are those that are already linked in the DIY/Aftermarket thread on the first page
The title of that thread is: AFTERMARKET & OEM MODIFICATIONS / DIY - FAQ's

Not exactly where I'd check for "common problems".

the fact that you can tell the importance of the thread by looking at the number of time the thread is viewed.
Not really:

Leaking cam sensors: 165 views
Valve problem: 21 views (probably the worst problem on the M271!)
HID conversion: 1408 views
Tinted windows: 1627 views

---

I know you're annoyed at the noobs, yet everything W203 has been discussed before - should we just lock this forum and not allow any new posts except in the official picture thread? No, cause that would be boring.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
The title of that thread is: AFTERMARKET & OEM MODIFICATIONS / DIY - FAQ's

Not exactly where I'd check for "common problems".

Not really:

Leaking cam sensors: 165 views
Valve problem: 21 views (probably the worst problem on the M271!)
HID conversion: 1408 views
Tinted windows: 1627 views

---

I know you're annoyed at the noobs, yet everything W203 has been discussed before - should we just lock this forum and not allow any new posts except in the official picture thread? No, cause that would be boring.
skip the part that says FAQs eh? and most DIY threads are there because of the common problems.

there are tons of leaking cam sensor threads. some problems are quickly identified you don't need a whole lot of post.

and lastly I find answer questions that has been answered hundred of times boring. I rather enjoy reading noobs introduce themselves and share what they've done to their cars instead of just complaining about problems that they have and only post when they have issues with their cars.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 PM

2005 W203 SS
it is hard at the beginning (i hated it at times grgrrrr) and i was getting results that dint even cover what i was looking for... but u will get better at it with time,

what did it for me is read, read, search, read some more... and read some more... eventually i found what i was looking for. lol

lol omg i just read it all... u tell' em frank

Last edited by benzito911; 08-04-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:41 PM

The W203 platform is retired, there's little/no new development, so we might as well lock the forum now and not let anyone post again cause its all been said before.
I have an '07 2.5L V6. I understand the '06 does, too. It's too soon for most of us to have problems, but with my car at 52K it doesn't hurt to check in. Is there a way to separate Kompressor posts from V6 posts on the W203 forum?

PS: My feelings got hurt from the early insults fired at me. Then I found out that they come from the same people. Why don't they go to the gym and take up boxing? I made some goofy early posts, I know, but I signed up for information first. I've learned a lot and debunked some myths.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
Yeah, some people just gotta look through pages upon pages to find something, i mean i bring back dated threads sometimes, no harm in that.

...I may have 1xx's amount of post but let me assure you that doesnt reflection upon my knowledge of the w203, its low not because i dont post, but from just plain reading/searching and DYI'ing. Let this be an example people.

just keepin' it real
Old 08-05-2009, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
lol at this timely topic.
Searched like a madman before working up the courage to make my first DIY post.

There are many good people here who contribute mightily to help make MBW worthy of bookmarking, some of whom I’ve had to good fortune to personally make acquaintance. Our ownership experience is mostly enhanced because - not in spite - of them.

Still kinda tend toward the shy side, but skewing the demographics of this sub-forum with my customary irreverent and nonsensical posts will not soon end. So there. :p:
Old 08-05-2009, 12:15 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by iblaho
I have an '07 2.5L V6. I understand the '06 does, too. It's too soon for most of us to have problems, but with my car at 52K it doesn't hurt to check in. Is there a way to separate Kompressor posts from V6 posts on the W203 forum?

PS: My feelings got hurt from the early insults fired at me. Then I found out that they come from the same people. Why don't they go to the gym and take up boxing? I made some goofy early posts, I know, but I signed up for information first. I've learned a lot and debunked some myths.

C230 2006-2007 has the M272 V6. just include M272 in your search. you can also check up on engine/transmission issues on W204 or W211. I have the 204 C350 for a year and no engine/transmission issue yet.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by benzito911
it is hard at the beginning (i hated it at times grgrrrr) and i was getting results that dint even cover what i was looking for... but u will get better at it with time,

what did it for me is read, read, search, read some more... and read some more... eventually i found what i was looking for. lol

lol omg i just read it all... u tell' em frank
reading is the key.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 AM

you can also check up on engine/transmission issues on W204 or W211.
Wow. E55? 63? That's some company to keep. Thanks for the pointers.

Question: Which models and which years passed their technology down to the 07 C230? I saw a post that said the C-class gets old E-class features.

I read recently elsewhere that the 2.5L V6 timing is now on a Korean engine in a Chrysler Caliber, a small station wagon type of vehicle. The 07 is out to pasture already! Knowing what I might have inherited would make for good reading on the forum. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:50 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by iblaho
Wow. E55? 63? That's some company to keep. Thanks for the pointers.

Question: Which models and which years passed their technology down to the 07 C230? I saw a post that said the C-class gets old E-class features.

I read recently elsewhere that the 2.5L V6 timing is now on a Korean engine in a Chrysler Caliber, a small station wagon type of vehicle. The 07 is out to pasture already! Knowing what I might have inherited would make for good reading on the forum. Thanks.
i mean the W211/204 that uses the same engine and transmission. E350, C300/350.

none. 07 C230 is the second year the M272 is used world wide replacing the M112.

Korean manufacturer SsangYong uses old MB engines such as the old M102 inline-four or M104 straight six or the M103 diesel. maybe they will start using the M112 sooner or later, but as far as the M272 goes it's not used in anything other than Mercedes-Benz.

SsangYong's flagship sedan Chairman is built on the W124 platform btw. The newest model does use the M113 5.0 V8.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by Karo
May I also add "Respect the Senior Members". I know a lot of Senior Members got insulted by idiots posting questions like "how to make the c230 faster" then when the senior members tell them whats up these noobies started retaliating with insults.

Respect the Senior Members

anyone "insulted" by questions like that needs a break from the forum, and should step away from the computer, go outside, and exercise their MB (WOT, anyone?)

Last edited by i_am_amused; 08-05-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

as a moderator on this forum and I guess a "senior member"

if you see a thread that has questions being asked, which you know have already been answered in another thread. Please point that person to that thread. I will then go in behind and merge the two (or more threads). Just today I merged over 20 different threads asking the same thing about Bi-Xenons into a single Bi-Xenon thread.

I will do this on my own, when I have time. But I need all of you guys' help.
If you see a repetitive topic or something that fits hand-in-glove with another set of threads, please point them out to me, and I will quality check and see if they are worthy of being merged. I can group and associate threads together based on commonality and similar themes. Please help me keep this 203 forum clean, and thus in the long-run, easier to search.

Thank you.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com