C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 Owners w/C5, are you happy with the sound from your stereos??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up C230 Owners w/C5, are you happy with the sound from your stereos??

Hi C5 People,

Are you guys satisfied with the sound from your stereo systems. I know the Bose is in the C5 package. Does it make a big difference. Are you happy with it as it is, or are you begging to get bigger sound out of it. When I order, considering the money I'm putting in the car, I won't have extra to really pump up the system. Just would like your opinions. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to pump up the system with non-Mercedes pieces, DO NOT buy the Bose. The Bose system uses weird impedances for their speakers. It will cost a lot more to modify. The Bose is disappointing in the Coupe. It appears that MB spent the bare minimum to to able to use the Bose name. In the Coupe the sub-woofer isn't even ported into the passenger compartment. It does sound somewhat better than the standard system, but not $600+ worth.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I checked out the bose and non bose system on the sedans and i could barely tell much difference. So i didn't get it. and I'm happy with what I have. The only thing i would consider adding is a sub to get some extra base... other than that.. it serves me fine...

you should check them both out ....
Old 01-25-2002, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I ordered the Bose as a stand-alone option, so I'll ignore the non-c5 slight for now. :p

My main reason for getting it was that I didn't want to rip out the entire system just yet, and it's very hard to do anything to the stock system if you don't get it. With a 4-year warranty, I don't think that it's smart to risk the entire electrical system over a better stereo. I consider it a rental at $150 per year until the warranty's up, and I can do something better.

It's ok with Bose, unacceptable without it. Especially with the sunroof open, you need it. Though I find myself constantly checking to see if the volume's all the way up, especially on the really good Barry Manilow songs.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Crossfire Coupe
Was stuck with the same decision. On my Audi I had the optional Bose sound system and that system sounded as good as the non-Bose Mercedes one that I have and that was enough for me. The Mercedes Bose is not really all that big of a deal as it might appear over the standard radio. The standard radio to my amazement is pretty good with sufficient base for what I need it. But check them both out and see which one you like. I was in your shoes until I heard the standard system and saved me the $600+

Blk C230 Coupe/Oyster Leather/Panorama/Auto.
Old 01-25-2002, 09:02 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
The Bose system offers a noticable, though not major, improvement in the total surround (thanks to center speaker) and in the lower bass frequencies (thanks to rear subwoofer). How it meets your personal needs is really something you need to test drive yourself.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:28 PM
Deb

2002 C230K Sport Coupe
Bose system

I am very happy with the Bose sound system in my car. However, keep in mind that the C230K is a small car and no system is going to produce the full resonance and philharmonic sound that you might be expecting. For my taste, the volume control is not the major feature for music. I rarely listen to the radio in my car because we have poor reception where I live (and because Miami's only classical station was recently bumped off the air!). Therefore I opted for the cd changer with the Bose system and I love it. Good luck whichever you decide.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:50 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i was originally very happy with my 230 bose system, then i rode around in a clk with bose, it was much fuller and richer. but you have to cut corners somewhere.

did you guys disable your audiopilot feature.... cause i cant stand mine, but am too lazy to go to the dealership to get it turned off

greg
Old 01-26-2002, 12:33 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 coupe
Bose sound system

Here is a list of some of the things you get with the Bose system in the C230 as compared to the standard system.

1. Dedicated low frequency speaker. (There is no legitimate woofer in the standard system)
2. All speakers in the system are upgraded to higher performance specifications.
3. Amplifier power is increased.
4. Active equalization which "tunes" the tonal balance of the system to the car's interior. (The equalization curve will actually be set differently for leather vs cloth!)
5. Dynamic equalization for the low frequencies (bass) which, automatically adjusts the amount of bass the system produces as the volume setting is changed. (The human ear has a natural deficiency in percieving low frequencies, relative to mids and highs, at lower volumes. The dynamic equalization counteracts this natural tendency to provide full audible bass at all volumes - automatically!)
6. Audio Pilot monitors sound inside the cabin from sources other than the audio system and adjusts the output from the sound system at the appropriate frequencies and to the appropriate amount in order to "mask" the external sounds.
7. The system also includes a level sensitive compression circuit which prevents the input signal to the power amp from exceeding a specific threshold level. This avoids driving the power amp into a clipping mode. This serves two purposes 1) minimizes audible distortion at high volume listening levels 2) serves as an active speaker protection circuit to almost eliminate the possibility of "blowing" a speaker.

In my opinion, all of these improvements add up to an overall user / listener experience that not only makes the Bose system clearly superior to the standard system, it makes it one of the best values for the price on the option list.

Last edited by Mike E; 01-26-2002 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2002, 06:08 PM

I am pretty satisfied with the Bose in the coupe. As part of the c5 package, it is only a $300 bump over the price for the roof and leather in their individual packages.

For room filling sound, the upgraded system in our Chrysler minivan offers more of the sheet metal vibrating bass, but the sound in the coupe is more characcteristic of the understated quality of MB. It doesn't elicit "wow", but sounds cleanand fills the passenger compartment with sound without apparent source. The coupe doesn't claim to be an "ultra" car in any respect, but does a fine job of delivering Mercedes quality in a nicely priced package.
Old 01-28-2002, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
I listened to both Bose stereo's and non-Bose and it was not a big difference. So I got my car without the Bose and changed all my speakers with (front) MB Quart 5 1/4 components higher end discus series and (back) MB quart 5 1/4 discus coaxles (only offers one set). I run these off of a Rockford fosgate punch 40 amp, sounds very crisp and everything fit in with no problems. It sounded lousy without the amp thou. Then I have a 12" JL Audio sub in the trunk in a custom box which doesnt take much space. It runs off of a Rockford Fosgate Power 250. Which is ok. Could be louder if I get a stronger amp but does it job for now. I really recommend a new system. It made a day and night difference in my car and it seems fairly simple for stereo shops to install this. I went to AL & Eds but I bought all the parts first and went there just for the install.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:36 PM

2002 C230, 6 Speed, Bose Stereo, 6 CD Changer
"1. Dedicated low frequency speaker. (There is no legitimate woofer in the standard system) "

Mike, where is this dedicated low frequency speaker located? Is it in the center of the dash? I have the bose system and am still trying to figure out where all the speakers are, three in each door and sub woofer in rear side compartment are all I can tell for sure. I assume the non bose cars don't have the subwoofer in the rear compartment?
Thanks
Peter
Old 02-24-2002, 06:56 PM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
Havent heard the standard system

But the Bose System is fine. Its not great but its certainly ok.. It wont rattle the windshield but it is clear and crisp and the bottom end, although not as much as would expect, is certainly there. I have the sedan and I was hesitant about this one but the car came standard with it. I dont like the fact that it is tough to upgrade without pulling out everything so I will leave it in. Warranty very important to me.

Last edited by vinmanc32; 02-24-2002 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by petercrase
"1. Dedicated low frequency speaker. (There is no legitimate woofer in the standard system) "

Mike, where is this dedicated low frequency speaker located? Is it in the center of the dash? I have the bose system and am still trying to figure out where all the speakers are, three in each door and sub woofer in rear side compartment are all I can tell for sure. I assume the non bose cars don't have the subwoofer in the rear compartment?
Thanks
Peter
The "sub-woofer", between the cargo compartment side wall and the quarter panel, is the dedicated low frequency speaker. The speker in the center of the dash is called a center fill speaker.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:17 PM

Thanks Lynn,
On rereading the C brochure, I'm still confused about the number of speakers in the bose c coupe. The brochure says seven, I count eight.
Peter
Old 02-24-2002, 08:35 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 coupe
Petercrase:
To the best of my knowledge the standard system uses the speakers in the doors as the only means of reproducing bass. The Bose system augments the door speakers with a subwoofer (speaker and enclosure combo) in the rear hatch area. Although this sub doesn't produce as much output as the after market set ups some of the forum members have installed, I think it is a very notealbe upgrade over the standard system. The nice thing is the upgrade is accomplished without sacrificing any cargo space.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:59 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
I haven't heard the Bose; although I ordered it, when they located the exact car I wanted I didn't want to wait any longer. Most standard systems do the job for me, and the MB system is no different. The rear speakers really wimp out so I keep the fader center or towards the front. My Spyro Gyra CD sounds good enough for me...but - that's just my $ .02 worth.

I guess the real sound freaks will be better off with aftermarket for the $600plus admission to the Bose theater.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:34 PM

I'm very satisfied with the sound from my Bose stereo system in my C Coupe. I may be prejudiced though, I have been listening to Bose at home since I was in the Army in Germany, 1972. I have the original Bose 901 direct/reflecting speakers with the equalizer, driven by a Marantz 1200 amp with 100 watts per channel, and I just love the way it sounds. The direct/reflecting technology and equalizer just puts out a more satisfying sound for my ears. Of course nothing matches hearing music live at a concert. That's really the best and no system I've ever heard can approach that sound. I went to a Tony Bennett and kd lang concert recently at the Chronicle Pavilion in Concord, now that is fantastic sound. I want to sing like Tony Bennett when I'm 75.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:37 PM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
C Coupe Bose speakers

I think there are also two speakers located at the side of the rear seats, just behind the doors (look for perforated grill). The other speakers are in the front compartmet, ahead of the doors. It is these front speakers which indicate you have the Bose system. You can also adjust forward and rear speakers by adjusting the FAD setting.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: C Coupe Bose speakers

Originally posted by Goggles Piasano
I think there are also two speakers located at the side of the rear seats, just behind the doors (look for perforated grill).
There are no speakers in the rear seat area. There are two tweeters located in the top front of the doors. There are four speakers located in the lower corners of the doors. If you have the Bose system the bass module is between the cargo compartment sidewall and the right quarter panel, and the center fill speaker is behind the grille on the top center of the dash.

I have made two searches for the speakers using various volume levels and fader, balance, treble and bass settings. There are no grilles in rear of my Coupe, just the perforated leather covering the side air bag doors.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
I think Tommy's point should be well taken, MB uses fiber optics, not wires. This makes changing speakers a pain. My friend who helped me install the CD changer, said he would not screw with the speakers, so that is why I opted for the Bose system. The sound is better than the base speakers, but not as good as a super premium after market system.
Old 02-25-2002, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
The Bose system sounds great....The base is tight, but not booming. The highs are crisp, but not shrill. As reference, I have heard louder, but only when you go deep into the aftermarket.

(Home system: NAD Pre-amp driving 2 Hafler kit amps through Magnapan MG-Ib magnaplanar speakers)
- not loud....just perfect -
Old 02-25-2002, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by galaxygrrl
I think Tommy's point should be well taken, MB uses fiber optics, not wires. This makes changing speakers a pain. My friend who helped me install the CD changer, said he would not screw with the speakers, so that is why I opted for the Bose system. The sound is better than the base speakers, but not as good as a super premium after market system.
I think the fiber cables stop at the amp. There are still plain old copper wires going to the speakers. At least, I know that's the case with the subwoofer.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...&threadid=4011
Old 02-25-2002, 08:42 PM

C230 K coupe Orion blue, Evo, prem leather roof, premium sound and cd changer, auto.
Rear Speakers

Lynn, I checked again at the bottm right and left sides, just in front of the rear seats and behind the doors (not on the doors) there are perforations and mouldings indicative of speaker enclosures? I didn't mean the leather perforations located in the shoulder area. If you get into the rear seats look at the area next to your feet.
Regards
Goggles.
P/S I didn't test whether sound eminated from this area, yet.

Last edited by Goggles Piasano; 02-25-2002 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Googles, I just went out to take a look and a listen to those areas. I have solid plastic pieces covered with some kind of fuzzy material. They are hard as a rock. No sound emanated from them, and I felt no vibrations. I had the radi cranked up, and I could hear and feel all the other speakers, but nothing in that area.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C230 Owners w/C5, are you happy with the sound from your stereos??